A Hug from Your Sister

Jeremiah Raven

Wand
Yew Wand 14" Essence of Fairy Dust
Jeremiah had virtually just left the Great Hall as he began looking for his best friend. He had seen the Hufflepuff and had planned on going over to him, but in the hustle and bustle of everyone leaving, the Gryffindor had lost him. He was not too concerned, however, as he had a pretty good idea where Ryder would be. If his memory stood (and he did hope it did) Ryder would probably be outside, near the rosebush. Neither had a class at this time he was quite sure. The Gryffindor loosened his tie in the heat from the sun and sighed. The climate was still a little difficult to deal with, it was windier back home. The breeze would often keep one cool. Also, it was a completely different season back there. Even at this age, the time zones and seasonal changes confused him. It would be simpler if his family simply moved to New Zealand, but he knew that his parents appreciated the distance Hogwarts New Zealand provided them from their children. It appeared that they loved having children, but the whole 'raise your children' part simply confused them. It was actually rather pathetic, he had only realised that from being exposed to other people's families and how they worked with their kids.

Jeremiah paused as he reached the rosebush and looked around. Perhaps Ryder was not here? He wander further into the bush, and smiled slightly when he was quite sure he spotted his friend. He had made a promise to Ally to give Ryder a hug, and the Gryffindor kept his promises. Which was probably why he rarely made them. He whistled for attention, and stood in the clearing. "What a pleasure it is to see you, Ryder," he said in greeting. "I made a promise to your sister to give you a hug, and a high five. Once one first, hmm?" He then allowed his eyes to glide over the various flowers and thorns in the rosebush. It was rather nice, though all the fragrances were tickling his nose in an uncomfortable way.

Ryder had picked at his breakfast that morning, he wasn't really hungry, more than anything he just wanted to go back to bed and sleep but he couldn't do that. He had to make his loud presence known as he had throughout the years even though that wasn't really him anymore. The hufflepuff was calming down and was so much more subdued than he used to be but that wasn't through choice, it was due to the fact that he was trying to keep a big secret. A secret that he hardly wanted to admit to himself. So pushing aside his toast Ryder stood and slipped out of the Great Hall without looking back. He was sure that Miah was looking for him and as much as he wanted to see his best friend he was trying to distance himself from him a bit in order to get his feelings under control. Wandering over to the rose bush Ryder sighed and flopped back onto the grass. Looking up to the sky he let his eyes unfocus. His lack of sleep was beginning to catch up with him. His silly little crush on Miah was getting out of hand and it was keeping him up at night. Rubbing his eyes he yawned loudly, he hadn't the energy to do anything anymore, he couldn't play soccer anymore or even study without practically falling asleep. It was all Miah's fault why did he have to be so freaking crush worthy? But in saying that he couldn't let it get to him, it was eating him from the inside out but he couldn't do anything about it. Telling him wasn't an option he had to just keep pretending that everything was fine. He would pass off his obvious lack of exuberance on lack of sleep, the hufflepuff yawned again, it was true anyway.

Ryder's attention was drawn by a loud shrill whistle lifting his head and turning to look in the direction of the noise his face broke into a grin and his stomach flip flopped in spite of himself. "Miah!" he cried rolling onto his stomach and scrambling to his feet. Despite wanting to control his feelings around Miah he had to keep up appearances and besides he wanted to hug his best friend. Running over to the dark haired boy Ryder pulled him into a tight hug lifting him off his feet and twirling him around. Setting him down he cocked his head at his friend, "You've been talking to Ally?" he asked in confusion, he had no idea that Ally even remembered Miah, let alone that she was writing to him. Ryder raised his hand for a high five but instead caught Miah's and brought it to his lips. "That's much better than a boring old high five right?" he laughed, eyes twinkling. Hoping that his friend hadn't noticed any change in his behaviour.
<i>
</i>

Ryder had always been loud. Possibly the loudest person Jeremiah knew, coming just before Khione. She was very loud, and very hyper as well. He seemed surrounded by such people, even Ai had her moments of bubbliness, as did Taylor. He watched as Ryder nearly tripped over himself to get up, and shook his head. "You could have stayed down," there was no reason for someone to have to get up off the ground for a hug and high five, it could have waited. The Gryfindor was not here simply to give Ryder a hug and high five from Ally, he was here to talk with his best friend, to have conversations one had with their best friend. As Ryder began running over, Jeremiah prepared himself. He was sure his ribs had been fractured on many occasions because of how ridiculously tight Ryder squeezed him, all the time. He had no idea why Ryder was determined to kill him, but the pure-blood was sure starting to believe in the saying of 'killing with kindness', because that was often what Ryder did, when it came to hugging. With his feet firmly back on the ground and air circulating back through his lungs, Jeremiah brushed his hair from his eyes and lent against a small tree. "Yes, I have. She wrote a letter to me a while ago. I would have told you sooner, but lately it has been easier to find a ghost than you." Ryder had been becoming quite the hider as of late. Even Khione noticed it.

Now that he was not dying, Jeremiah held up his hand for the high-five he had promised - except it didn't quite work out like that. He should have expected as much. The Gryffindor absentmindedly brushed his hand on his sleeve and smiled. "Sure, but that is not the only reason I hunted out down - otherwise it'd be rather ridiculous." he nodded his head towards the middle of the clearing and slide down to the grass, leaning most of his weight back on his elbows. He looked directly at Ryder. "I need to talk to you about something, it's really important. I need you." This was serious business to the Gryffindor, and he felt that he needed the advice and wisdom of his best friend, though he was not sure how wise Ryder could be considered, he couldn't talk to Ai about it. Ai was a girl, and he wasn't entirely confident in talking to a girl about what to do when you like a girl, because guys talk about that to their male friends, not their female ones.

Ryder shrugged happily, "I couldn't hug you if I was lying down now could I?" He asked with a smirk. Truth be told that the weeks of avoiding his friend had taken a toll and it was just nice to finally hug him again after such a long time. He felt himself going hot and his cheeks reddening he quickly changed the subject before he could dwell on his feelings for longer than was necessary. The Hufflepuff chuckled, fancy Ally writing to his best friend and him not knowing. "Well that’s Ally for you I guess, she does all sorts of random stuff without telling anyone." Smile faulting slightly Ryder bit his lip nervously, he had been actively avoiding Miah for obvious reasons but he thought he had been doing it subtly only to find out that his friend had noticed, simply sucked. "Uh, sorry about that I've been busy…" He knew it was weak but hopefully his friend would buy it. He knew he wouldn't had he been in Miah's shoes but in saying that he was extremely oblivious.

Ryder noticed instantly that Jeremiah wiped his hand on his sleeve and he couldn't help but feel a bit hurt. Miah didn't normally wipe himself off when he was kissed by him did he? Or maybe he did and he just hadn't noticed. Now he felt really terrible. Flopping down on the grass next to his best friend Ryder looked at him through his fringe and he was on his back looking at him upside down. However when the mention of important business Ryder rolled over quickly interest kindled. What on earth could Miah want to talk to him about? When the words 'I need you' Passed his friends lips he felt his hopes rising. Maybe, just maybe after everything Miah might like him back. He had been trying to gently nudge Miah toward seeing that he liked him but so far he had thought in vain the dark haired boy being far too oblivious to anything Ryder had said or done, but maybe he had picked up on what he was feeling. Trying to hold back his excitement he pulled a face at the other boy, "Ew serious business. Okay then lay it on me gorgeous." He quipped the term of endearment slipping before he could stop himself.

Jeremiah shrugged. Ryder was quite right, hugging someone whilst they laid down on the ground would have been difficult to do, hough he was sure it was probably possible. And, from what Ryder had just said of Ally, Jeremiah nodded. For he was right, she was quite an interesting girl, and rather strange. Absolutely nothing like his own sisters. Not even Grace, and she was considered the most bubbly of the girls. He folded his arms acros his chest as Ryder continued, however. Busy? Jeremiah couldn't think of what Ryder would be busy with. They had virtually just started back, classes were just beginning to start - homework was light, and some classes didn't even have homework yet. However, Miah trusted that if Ryder did want to talk about it, they would talk about it eventually. After all, they told each other pretty much everything, well, Jeremiah did tend to fade over things relating to family, but otherwise he was completely honest with his friend, and Ryder had a rather open-book personality. He was quite sure they were rather honest with each other. He nodded. "Understandable, but work will only continue to pile."

Jeremiah grinned at his friend's enthusiasm. He knew Ryder would be happy to help him, he always was. And if Ryder had this problem, Miah was sure he would do the exact same, though the pure-blood was not entirely sure how well he'd go. This was incredibly serious, however, as he was from a conservative family. It was even difficult to find the right words to explain it to his closest friend, and he was a muggle-born for Merlin's sake. "I'm being very serious, Ryder. My family's conservative, just look at Dante," he shook his head. "My parents, father, is far worse than him." He blew his hair out of his face awkwardly. This was Ryder, he could tell Ryder anything, Ryder had an incredible habit of not judging him. It was certainly refreshing. "You know Khione, our Gryffindor friend," the part-goblin that would send his parents into a frenzy if they ever met her. "I've been trying to find the nerve to ask her out, but I can't. Chances are, she'll say no. The height difference for starters and a multitude of other reasons - like the fact that we're completely incompatible, but I can't help it. I need your advice." He sat up properly, his hands in his lap. "What would you do, if you like someone? Should I just ask her out and see what happens?"

Ryder could easily tell that Miah didn't really buy his story about being busy but he went along with it anyway which was nice. Rolling his eyes he straightened his face, Miah wanted him to be serious, he could do that. "Okay I'm being serious." he said holding back a giggle. Ryder listened to what Miah was saying his smile fading, of course Miah didn't like him, he wasn't gay, he like Khione. It all made sense but it didn't make it hurt any less, in fact he was pretty sure that he felt his heart shatter. Biting his lip he tried to force a smile back onto his face but he felt his eyes fill with tears and he knew he only had moments to get a hold of himself until the flood gates opened and he would cry his heart out.

Ryder would never have guessed that it would hurt this much to find out that his best friend like someone else. He actually felt a little ill and he focussed on breathing, despite what he was feeling on the inside he still had to try and help his best friend out, he owed him that. The poor boy was useless when it came to this sort of stuff, so on the brink of tears Ryder gave a small smile, "Um, I'm not really sure I'm the best person to ask about this, I've never been in a relationship before." he tried to clear the lump in his throat "I never asked out the person I liked and it's too late now. So, I guess you should go for it before it's too late." he added trying to sound as happy for his friend as he could, to give him some confidence, even if he was about to cry. Swallowing hard Ryder looked away, it was becoming increasingly hard to hold the tears back. He needed to cry, needed to let everything out and to do that he needed to leave. He couldn't let Miah see him cry and finally realise what his feelings were. Practically leaping to his feet Ryder sniffed, and mimed looking at his watch even though he wasn't wearing one, "Oh would you look at the time. I have to go write a letter to Ally I promised her I'd write." he muttered before running away from his friend shattered heart in tow and tears now running rapidly down his face. It was over and he was heart broken.

Jeremiah slouched slightly as Ryder reminded him that he too had not had a girlfriend before. They were both in an incredibly similar boat. "I know that, but you're virtually the only person I can think of asking. Besides, I know you'll help me out." The only other guy Jeremiah actively spoke to was Conan - and speaking wouldn't quite be an accurate term. He hated the guy. Literal loathing was all he could muster for that particular Hufflepuff. He tilted his head slightly at the thought of Ryder liking someone, he had never said anything about liking a girl. The Gryffindor smiled slightly. "Ryder, you did not tell me you liked someone. I promise I won't laugh. Ryder-" He seemed really out of sorts. Jeremiah's face softened as he further realised that maybe his best friend was a little upset. Why would he be so upset? He seemed completely fine just moments ago. He sat up against his hands in surprise as Ryder suddenly jumped up, and even looked at his wrist. Miah reached for the Hufflepuff's ankle. "Ryder, you can write - Ryder!" He rolled over onto his stomach to watch his best friend began to run away. It then suddenly hit him. Ryder was only acting like this after he mentioned Khione. The Gryffindor's face dropped. Did Ryder like Khione too? "Ryder, I'm sorry!" He leap up to chase after the Hufflepuff, but quickly lost sight of him through all the flowers. He turned in circles, and sighed. Dear Merlin, he was such an idiot. He should have asked first.</FONT>

<FONT font="Georgia">--FINISHED--

Users who are viewing this thread

Back