The Bennett Household

Margaret sighed as she placed the last ornament on the Christmas tree; as a homemaker, she had always taken pride in her decorating abilities. She was excited that Estrella would be coming home for once; she had not seen her since the end of her first year from that school, and she had missed her. She had practically raised Estrella as a daughter, although deep within her, she knew that things might have been different if her husband had never taken her in. Maybe happier, and less filled with stress.

She had not gotten accustomed to this whole werewolf-thing with her husband; she found it extremely hard to believe. She had tried to read the books about dark magic that her husband had given her to explain, but every time, she had been deterred. She herself did not even know if she truly believed in magic. Sometimes, she found it to be a hallucination, even if it was unmistakeably real.

She had placed presents under the tree, for her husband, sons, Estrella, and one for Estrella's friend, Kale, that was coming to visit. They would be spending Christmas with them in a few days, after staying a day at Kale's house.

Finishing trimming the tree, she stood back, admiring it. She felt her bones creak just a bit as she put her hands on her hips. Dang, am i getting old.

Luke's expression was indifferent, as always, as he swaggered through his house, a boy of sixteen who just happened to have a pretty bad attitude these days.

He could only smile weakly at his mom as he entered the living room. "So, Estrella's finally coming home?" he asked, not too nicely, either.

Margaret jumped a bit as she heard her son's voice, but then shook it off as she recognized it to be Luke; he had simply pulled her out of a daze.

She smiled back at him, showing her teeth. "Yes, she is. Aren't you excited?" Her smile faltered a bit as she saw her son's own expression. "Oh, try to see the silver lining, look. Besides, you guys should be able to hang out for a bit. Like old times!"

She adjusted an ornament on the tree that had gone crooked, and she looked back over her shoulder. "Oh, don't forget to get your room ready for her friend. He's going to be staying in your room with you."

Luke's jaw remained taut; he hated having to share his room. Especially with strangers. And especially strangers that were well, freaks.

He had lost all respect for the magical world, even though once, when he was younger, he had thought it was cool. In fact, he had even been jealous of Estrella. But now, he just wished that he could forget its existence. He hated every blight that his cousin had brought upon their family.

He smirked. "Yeah, Mom, I wouldn't forget. How long are they going to be staying?"

"A week," Margaret said, "All of their winter break. Please try to be cordial, Luke. I know things have been- odd, shall we say- ever since certain incidents." She tried to smile warmly, but it faltered. She may be able to put on a happy face in front of other people, but she didn't feel the need to be two faced in front of her son.

Luke smirked, surpressing a groan; this winter break was going to be a pain. He loved the fact that there was no school and that he could lounge around, but he didn't exactly want to play host to a couple of freak kids.

Pulling his ipod out of his pocket, he flipped to Touch the Sky by Kanye West, nodding at his mother and walking out of the room, placing the earbuds out of his ears. This was going to be a long break.

A few days later, Carlisle wandered like a ghost through the house, his expression gaunt. He could feel that the moon was coming on, and he had checked the calendar; full moon was going to be in two days, and he didn't want to be around then.

He hadn't told anyone that he had been neglecting his potions, but it was all fine with him. As long as he went way up North, no one would know anything. he couldn't bear to see his family hurt.

"Maggie?" he called, looking for his wife, "I'm going to pick up Estrella and her friend now."

Margaret found Carlisle in the kitchen, raising her eyebrow. She had been setting the table with lilies in one of her favorite vases. "Why? I thought you weren't picking them up until tomorrow."

"Change of plans," Carlisle replied gruffly, "I can't wait any longer." It could be seen on his expression that he was not lying; there were bags under his eyes, and the hair on his hands, which were long enough to begin with, were considerably darker. He had grown taller and gaunt ever since- Well, last break. Without another word, he said, "Sorry, Maggie," and walked in the living room, towards the fireplace.

Margaret frowned; she was not liking the sound of it, but she supposed that seeing her niece a day early wouldn't be horrible either. "Just be careful in that- fire," she said, still observing the burning flames in disbelief. The very thought of someone traveling through fire was ludicrous to her.

"Luke!" she yelled, in the loudest voice she could muster, for her son was always listening to music or playing video games. He was quite miffed at her that she hadn't let him have a friend over.

With a nod towards his wife, Carlisle threw a dash of the floo powder he had acquired in the fire, bellowing, "Kilkenny, Ireland, Thomas Homestead," and as the flames turned green, he stepped in the fire, disappearing.

"What, mom?" Luke drawled boredly as he made his way down the stairs, anger in his voice as he swaggered into the living room, earbuds in his ears. He was extremely mad that he hadn't been able to hang out with his friends, all because Estrella's friend was from the magical world.

"Estrella and her friend are coming early. Tonight. Now go get your room ready-don't give me that look, Luke, I know you haven't done it- and please be hospitable. And clean up your dirty laundry."

"Yeah, whatever," Luke drawled boredly, and after getting up the stairs and signing a rather bad gesture at the wall, directed at his mother, he moved into his room, slamming the door behind him.

Margaret sighed; Luke had been having some pretty bad attitude problems lately, and figured that she should have a talk with him about it. Her anxiety, however, was lessened as her younger son Thomas entered the room.

"Essy's coming home now?" Tommy shrieked excitedly, not having seen Estrella in forever. He was a gap toothed kid of three, with red hair, unlike Lucas, and the world's cutest smile.

((Anyone who has a pic of a young ginger kid, I would appreciate one...))

"Yes," Margaret replied, "She's coming home now."

The flames in the Bennett household turned green, and suddenly, Carlisle reappeared, his expression gaunt as ever. He smiled as his son, Thomas, ran up to greet him with a toothy smile.

"Is Essy coming, Daddy?" he asked in a high pitched voice, clinging onto his dad's leg.

23408189.jpg

"Yes, she actually should be here any moment," he replied, stepping forward to pet Whisper behind the ears, Tommy still clinging to his legs.

Estrella coughed as she tumbled out of the fireplace, never really having gotten used to Floo travel. Although her mood was dampened, she was ecastatic to see her family again, and she dropped her things on the floor, smiling brightly at her aunt and cousin. Tommy had gotten so big. Well, she guessed, That's what happens when you don't see people for over a year.

She had to brace herself as Tommy detached himself from his father, shouting, "ESSY! YOU"RE HOME!" He hugged her leg, and then pointed at the Mamalute. "Look, Essy, we got a dog! She's Whisper!"

"That's cool," Estrella replied, and ruffled Tommy's hair, nodding at Margaret and smiling. "How are you, Aunt Maggie?" She suddenly remembered Kale, and then looked towards the fire for him.

Kale covered his mouth and coughed as he entered the Bennett families fireplace, he tried to dust the remaining soot off of his clothing before stepping into their livingroom fully. Adjusting the strap on his shoulder, he nodded at the others in the room, "Good evening." he said with an awkward smile, getting a glimpse of the room before him.

Margaret smiled warmly at Estrella, walking over to hug her. "I've been fine, dear. I've missed you, too."

She smiled warmly as a boy appeared in the fire, and she immediately rushed out to greet him, holding out her hand. "I'm Margaret Bennett," she introduced cordially, "But you can call me Maggie. And you are?" She observed him with her blue eyes; she knew that this boy and Estrella were sure to be more than just friends of a cordial nature, and she would have to watch out for that.

Kale smiled at the woman who called herself 'Maggie' walking toward him, "It's nice to meet you." he said politely while shaking her hand with a firm grip, "My name is Kale Thomas." Kale smiled. "Thanks for having me for the holiday" he said while looking toward a ginger haired kid clinging to Estrella, Little kids sure seem to like her.

"It's a delight to meet you too, Kale," Margaret replied, smiling and admiring the kid's manners. She wished that Luke was as polite as that.

Tommy detached himself from Estrella as quickly as he had from Carlisle, never seeming to make up his mind about who to cling to. He clung to Kale's pant leg, his mouth open in wonder as he proclaimed in his high pitched voice, "Thomas?! Hey, that's my name!" Little did Kale know that he would be doomed to having Tommy follow him around for the rest of the break. "Hey, are you a witch?" he inquired, not knowing the correct terms of the magical world.

23408189.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back