Closed Silver Tongue in the Shadows

Fabian studied Tyler's face, trying to figure him out. He didn't think Tyler was a deliberately homophobic person, but people could hold all sorts of biases without totally understanding them. He sighed at the explanation, elbowing Tyler lightly. "If I'm getting it so wrong, feel free to elaborate." He said with a small smirk. "Go on, convince me. You had a big blowup with your Quidditch star not-boyfriend because you hated his boyfriend for being a weirdo, and it's more complicated because...?"

Tyler wished he had never talked about this. He cursed Blake for walking by. Tyler shook his head, looking away. "I can't tell you everything, it's just... there's way more to it." He said, frowning. "And I don't want to talk about it anymore." He added coolly.

Fabian sighed, leaning lightly into Tyler's shoulder as he finally started unwrapping his own sandwich. "Well, you didn't want to talk about it in the first place, but I still got my way." He teased. "I'm just trying to get to know you, grumpy." He added with a gentle nudge. "I'll tell you all about my disastrous Hogwarts boyfriends if you like. The really embarrassing ones, even."

Tyler shrugged Fabian off his shoulder. He wasn't so easily forgiven. "I'm just supposed to ignore what you just said?" He asked, annoyed. "And no, you were trying to get dirt on me." He muttered. And succeeding. He mentally added. He felt stupid for telling him so much. Had he been a Slytherin or not?

Fabian gave him a pointed look. "And I'm supposed to believe your version of events?" He said meaningfully. "I'm trying to figure out how much I can trust you. This has been... informative." He added with a mysterious smile, leaning back and taking a bite of his sandwich. He chewed slowly as he studied Tyler, a glimmer in his eye. "And I offered you dirt on me - fair turnabout."

Tyler gave Fabian a pointed look. “You asked for my version of events.” He pointed out. He sighed, eating a bit more. He wished Fabian couldn’t bait him so easily. “Fine, hit me with your dirt.” He muttered, not sounding thrilled.

Fabian shrugged, meeting Tyler's eyes. "I know when I'm not being given the whole story." He said plainly, before slipping back into an easy laugh. "Let's see, what's a juicy one? Oh, in sixth year I accidentally said I would go to the Yule Ball with two different boys. I didn't realise until I showed up outside the Great Hall and they were both waiting. Turned into a fight, the loser went to hospital wing to have boils treated, the winner was dragged right off to detention, and I wound up making out with the winner's older brother at the dance instead." He grinned and winked. "Dramatic enough for you?"

Tyler didn’t respond to Fabian’s pointed comment. He quietly listened to Fabian’s story, snorting when he was done. “Right, like I believe that.” He said, clicking his tongue. “Your idea of dirt is a story about you being so desirable two guys fought over you?” He asked, skeptically. Though if it was true, Tyler was glad Fabian had gone to the other Hogwarts. What a mess.

Fabian couldn't help a real, genuine laugh as Tyler called him out. "Alright, alright! That was a bit too flattering." He smiled. "Go on then, give me a prompt. What kind of dirt do you want? Bad breakup, friendship drama, what? Give me some parameters to work with." He smiled, persona dropping a little as he found himself just enjoying the conversation.

Tyler rolled his eyes as Fabian laughed, though it sounded a bit nicer than his usual fakeness. He shrugged, glancing at him sideways. “You’re severely overestimating how much I care about your school life.” He said dryly. “But whatever. I gave you friendship drama, so that only seems fair.”

Fabian chuckled, giving Tyler a teasing wink. "Oh come off it, we both know I'm fascinating." He grinned, thinking on the prompt for a moment. "Hmm, alright. I was close friends with this Ravenclaw girl in my first couple of years, we were both... well, I wasn't really shy, but we weren't the most confident kids, so we stuck together. In third year in one of our classes she got this minor award for... something stupid, I don't remember, it was just a little reward from the teacher for... I really don't remember, a good essay or something." He laughed, running a hand through his hair. "This was so stupid, it's embarrassing really. But I was so jealous I started spreading rumours that her parents had bribed the professor to give it to her. It was complete nonsense, I made the whole thing up. But it was juicy and people liked that I apparently had all these secrets, so I started building a reputation as a guy with all the gossip, and she was absolutely ruined. Poor girl..." He sighed. "I wonder what she's up to now."

Tyler shook his head. “Fascinatingly annoying.” He muttered under his breath. The story Fabian told was actually kind of sad. It definitely made him look less good than the last one. “Probably plotting your downfall. That’s pretty messed up.” He said though he knew he wasn’t one to talk. “Well, thanks for that.” He added, hoping it would end the weirdly personal conversation.

Fabian laughed lightly at the comment, leaning back in his seat. "You're probably right. Hell, there's probably a whole secret society back in the UK looking to ruin my life. I expect I'm lucky I got out when I did." He said with a small smile, before taking another bite of his sandwich. He chewed thoughtfully, just enjoying the view for a moment. "So in your secret society you've got Blake van Houten, who else?"

Tyler nodded absently as Fabian talked about how he probably had a whole secret society that wanted to ruin his life. Tyler wouldn't be too surprised if it was true. Tyler was glad when the other man was quiet for a little while, but then frowned when he spoke by asking more about Tyler and Blake. If he thought he was being subtle, he was not. "We dropped that subject." He told Fabian. "And I don't think Blake hates me- he invited me to the wedding." He said with a small shrug.

Fabian ignored Tyler's protest, smirking slightly. "Oh, so you're in his secret society." He smirked slightly. "I hope you at least got him a nice wedding gift." Speak of the devil - Fabian's thoughts of a particularly funny gift he could insinuate Tyler had picked out were interrupted all at once as the man himself went walking right past, seemingly in his own head. "Blake!" He called out immediately, unable to resist the temptation. "You're Blake van Houten! You were brilliant against Puddlemere last month, I don't suppose I could have your autograph?"

Quidditch supplies bought, Blake had been about to head home when a change of mind had possessed him. It felt strange going out without getting anything for Lars, so he'd decided to pick up a quick treat for his husband before heading home, ready to surprise Lars when he got back. In his own thoughts, he wasn't paying much attention to the people around him until he heard his own name. It was still surreal, being recognised in the streets, and Blake didn't think he would ever get used to the notoriety that came with his job. He looked over with his well-practiced affable fan meeting smile, and it froze on his face when he saw who the man was with. Oh. "Oh, thanks!" He said a little too cheerfully as he came closer - he could hardly be rude to a fan just because he was friends with Tyler. He almost certainly didn't know, anyway. "I don't hear things like that from many British people." He added with a small smile, searching his pockets for a scrap of parchment or something he could sign as he turned the real problem over in his mind. Eventually he decided there was nothing for it, he could hardly just ignore his former best friend. "Hey, Tyler." He added, a slight nervous tinge infecting his voice. "Nice to see you."

Tyler wondered if Fabian had already forgotten Tyler had just told him he hadn't gone to the wedding. Why would he think he gave them a gift? He was about to say so when Fabian made him jump as he suddenly yelled out Blake's name. Tyler first thought he was joking, but when he followed his gaze he saw to his horror that Blake really was walking by again. What was his deal? Why was he circling the place? Just to torture Tyler? Tyler shot Fabian a betrayed look, feeling like an idiot. He'd never trust him with any information again. Tyler tried his best to hide behind his sandwich wrapper but could sense Blake had seen him even if he wasn't looking at him. Tyler pointedly didn't look at his former best friend, staring straight ahead. He tensed as Blake spoke to him directly. "Hello." He said, without taking his eyes off the bench on the other side of the path. "He doesn't actually want your autograph." He added icily.

This situation was delicious, and Fabian couldn't quite keep his glee contained as he looked back and forth between Blake and Tyler in feigned awe. "You know him?!" He asked Tyler in disbelief, relishing his officemate's expression. If he could, he would bottle that face and have a glassful with his breakfast every morning, it was that nourishing. He gave Tyler a slightly exaggerated hurt face, before turning back to Blake. "I've got no idea what's crawled up his robes and died, he's such a grump. I would love your autograph. That wronski feint you pulled last year against Ballycastle, I'm still thinking about it!" He resisted the urge to stick his tongue out at Tyler - for all the pain he was causing the other man, it was actually pretty exciting getting to meet one of his favourite players. He wasn't usually so uncool as to ask for autographs, but the thrill was definitely real.

Blake knew it was naive, but he had still held on to hope somewhere that time would have mellowed Tyler out, would maybe make it possible to mend at least something between them. This entire encounter spoke of more of the same however, between Tyler's tone and posture, his dismissiveness and refusal to even look at Blake. It burned as badly as it had in school. "We, um, we were roommates at Hogwarts." Blake did his best to keep his practiced 'meeting fans' smile on as Tyler's friend spoke, doing what he could tell was a horrible job of pretending he wasn't upset. "Thank you, I'm really glad you've been enjoying the games." He added, trying to focus on meeting a fan and not anything else going on around. He finally tracked down some parchment and a muggle pen in his pocket, pulling them out quickly. "Who should I make this out to?"

Tyler was going to cut all ties with Fabian. No more walks together, no more letting him grudgingly join him anywhere. He was done. Fabian was a snake, through and through, and Tyler didn't need this kind of sh*t around. He couldn't stand this. Somehow, it infuriated him that Blake didn't immediately grasp Tyler's meaning from his few words. He got to his feet and turned to them both. "He doesn't want your stupid f*cking autograph, Blake!" He repeated. "He knows we used to know each other and he's just f*cking with me." He glared at Fabian, then glanced at Blake carefully, gauging his reaction. "You can make it out to the biggest assh*le in the world." He added icily. Then he turned on his heel and started to walk away angrily, his face flaming. He had never felt this humiliated.

Fabian's schemes didn't often backfire, he was generally good at reading people. This one had definitely been too far. A shame, since under any other circumstances he would be eager to have a nice, long conversation with Blake. Reluctantly, and surprisingly even to himself, he had to admit that keeping the peace with Tyler was actually more important than that. "Sorry about him, he's been in a right mood all day." He said, touching Blake's arm lightly. "Rain check on that autograph? I really did want it." He added, giving his sauciest smile. "Shame I can't stay, I imagine you're a far better lunch date than that one." He added with a wiggle of his eyebrows before hurrying off after Tyler. "Oh come on Tyler, it was just a bit of a laugh! He's a nice guy, you don't need to be so upset!"

For years, Blake had hoped and hoped and hoped that time would temper the anger that hung between him and his former best friend. They weren't fifteen and messed up anymore, they were adults, surely they could let things go and move forward. The looks Tyler was giving him were dampening that hope already, but even then he wasn't prepared for the vitriol in Tyler's voice when he spoke. The anger wasn't entirely directed at him, but it still stung as fresh as if their fight had been yesterday. He hardly even heard anything the other man said as he stood there hurting, scrap of parchment clutched limply in his hand. Even now, the bad blood hurt just as deep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back