Recommended Books & Book Discussion

Oh i forgetted
Books by Cecelia Ahern are really good!
P.S I Love You, Where Rainbows End, If You Could See Me Now
I loved them :D

I really liked His Dark Materials. I cried the last two chapters of the Amber Spyglass. :">

I highly recommend anything by Jasper Fforde. He is funny and the books hold really great twists.
I'm currently re-reading his Thursday Next (character's name) Series. She is Literary detective and saved Jane Eyre from the clutches of a mad man who took her out of her book and threatened to kill her.

He also does a series where the main character is Jack Spratt and his partner Mary Mary (she is very contrary) and they solve Nursery Crimes.
The first book sees him solving the death of Humpty Dumpty.

I love these books.

These are my recomendations:
1. Lord of the Rings
2. The Silmarillion
3. The Hobbit
4. I, Robot
5. Foundation
6. Red Mars
7. The Wheel of Time series
8. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

Books I recall so far (I mostly read stuff by dutch authors, I'm afraid :p)

John Banville- The Sea (Won a booker prize! :p)
Oscar Wolfe (not sure if this was the author xD) - The picture of Dorian Gray

And of course all that fantasy mumbo jumbo similar to HP, like LOTR, Artemis Fowl, yadda-yadda-yadda :p

Ahh, LOTR is always good. Personally, I thought the Hobbit was the best book that Tolkien wrote. I'm so excited for the movie, even if it is going to be ages before it comes out!

Personally I also like Darren Shan books series 1 or 2, and The HP series. I like old classics such as Lord Of The Flies, The Time Travellers Wife, To Kill a Mickingbird etc. I hate shakespeare (<!--emo&:l-->
yawn.gif
<!--endemo--> theyre really dull and boring. I also like David Baldacci books eg The Camel Club etc. I also like the Spooks Aprrentice and it's sequels.

I like Macbeth by Shakespeare. Thats really good. I really like the Spooks Aperrentice too. There good books. I also like the Maximum Ride series.

I have a soft spot for Othello by Shakespeare.

Sara Douglas is a good author - I particularly enjoyed her Crucible trilogy (The Nameless Day, The Crippled Angel and The Wounded Hawk). Kind of set historically back in England with royalty but with a supernatural twist to it. Brilliant.

David Gemmel writes some good stuff as does Terry Brooks.

Frank Pereti - This Present Darkness

Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B Jenkins

Lord of the Flies!! Woo hoo!! I have finally read a book that someone suggested!! I read a lot, but nothing that anyone has said. I have (and have read) all the V.C. Andrews books. They're okay, and if you've read one of them you pretty much have read all of them. I also have and have read all of the Stephen King books (mostly thanks to my husband who got me into him). And most recently I finished Battle Royale by Koushun Takami and Oliver Twist by Charles ****ens. Of course, I've also read all the Harry Potter books, but that goes without saying.

Lord of the Flies is b1tchin'. And, while I recall it: what two books did I get my character's name from?

I adored Lord of the Flies. I read it first a few years ago, and now I have to read it again for an exam. I must have read it about 4 times just this year.

I also loved the following books/series (not in order!)

As meat Loves Salt - Maria McCann
My all time favorite. It has everything - romance, adventure, blood, war, a sad ending, plot twists - I love it, but I don't recommend it to anyone under 16. It includes sex, rape and murder.

Maximum Ride - I can't remember
Admittedly, I read the series again a few weeks ago, and they are not as good as I remember. Still, I LOVED them when I was about 13.

Tomorrow when the war began - John Marsden
Marsden is one of my favorite authors. He writes a lot of young adult fiction, but this book of his is my favorite. It's about a bunch of teenagers who go camping in Australian Bush, named by the locals as 'hell'. While they are gone, Asutralia gets invaded. It's a very realistic and exciting series. I highly recommend it to any readers over 13.

Wicca - I can't remember
This is a fictional and exaggerated book about the magic of Wicca. A girl who considers herself plain and boring finds herself falling in love with the new boy at her school - who also happens to be stunningly attractive, and has magical powers. He teachers her his magic, and pretends to fall in love in return, in an attempt to steal her powers for his mother. I haven't read the series in a few years, but I remember loving it when I did.

Ramses - Christian Jacq
I LOVE fictional novels about ancient civilizations and history. This book tels the story and life of the Pharaoh's son, Ramses, in Egypt.

The Edge Chronicals - I can't remember
If you like Harry Potter, which I'm sure you all do, then you will love this series. I've been reading them since I was about 11, and I'm still not bored of them. I could read them again and again. They're the most creative books I've ever come across, and the characters are amazing.

Poison - Chris Wooding
The character in this book reminded me a lot about the character in my own novel. Poison is a young girl who sets out on a journey to Phaerie Land to retrieve her sister, who has been kidnapped by the Phaerie king and replaced with a Changling. It's very creative, and has some very interesting plot twists. Despite being written like your typical fairy tale, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone under 13. It's a young adult fiction, and has a little blood.

I'll post more as I think of them :3

Okay, well, I have to say that the way Athene posted her book choices is very helpful. I'm always looking for new things to read and because she posted a mini summary of the books it really made it easier for me to find out which ones I wanted to read. I've actually wrote down a few and plan on going to my library in a few days. :)

Ford Harkonnen said:
Lord of the Flies is b1tchin'.  And, while I recall it: what two books did I get my character's name from?
I know, but I'm not going to say. :D

I couldn't stand Lord of the Flies... although that probably had to be something to do with my english class too.

I would recommend the Stephanie Myers books ei Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse. They are a series and absoultely amazing I read each of them in one day. I couldnt put it down! The fourth one comes out in August and its called Breaking Dawn. Im super excited!

In Athene's above post:
The Maximum Ride series was created by James Patterson.

Rhyspa Aireous said:
In Athene's above post:
thats the one. I actually have the series in my book case, I just couldn't be bothered going and checking.

Right, here are some more:

Anne Rice
Anything by the author Anne Rice, I love. She has an amazing style, her characters are realistic and interesting, and I'm a sucker for vampire novels. I'll admit that I haven't read all her work, though, but the few that I have gotten my hands on have been amazing, and have inspired a lot of my won writing.

The Firebrand - Marion Zimmer Bradley
Another one of my favorites, based off of real history. A lot of you have probably seen the movie Troy? I remember watching it because Orlando Bloom was in it... but anyway, I bet most of you didn't know that Bloom's character, Paris, had a twin sister? This novel is about Kassandra, Paris's sister and the Prophetess of the God Apollo. It's been a while since I last read it, but I definitely plan on reading it again soon.

Chinese Cinderella - Adeline yen Mah
this novel had me in tears. It's a true story about the youngest child in a Chinese family, and how she gets treated poorly and abused by her 'evil stepmother' and family. It's another book I read a long time ago, but would definitely read again.

Oh, and if anyone has any good romance novels to suggest, (preferably pre 1950s,) or modern fantasies, I'd love to hear of them. Or anything like The Firebrand or Ramses. Or any good adult fiction, really.

Oooh. There's a 'sequel' to Chinese Cinderella, called 'Chinese Cinderella and the Secret Dragon Society'. It's a really enjoyable book. It's not really a 'sequel', because it's based on a story she wrote when she was a little girl. Still, it's a good book.

In English Extension, we're studying Wide Sargasso Sea, which is a sort of 'prequel' to Jane Eyre, written about the mad woman in the attic. It's really interesting, except when you're writing 500 words about the discursive shifts and stuff in it. =S

Thanatos Perthro said:
Rhyspa Aireous said:
In Athene's above post:
thats the one. I actually have the series in my book case, I just couldn't be bothered going and checking.

Right, here are some more:

Anne Rice
Anything by the author Anne Rice, I love. She has an amazing style, her characters are realistic and interesting, and I'm a sucker for vampire novels. I'll admit that I haven't read all her work, though, but the few that I have gotten my hands on have been amazing, and have inspired a lot of my won writing.

The Firebrand - Marion Zimmer Bradley
Another one of my favorites, based off of real history. A lot of you have probably seen the movie Troy? I remember watching it because Orlando Bloom was in it... but anyway, I bet most of you didn't know that Bloom's character, Paris, had a twin sister? This novel is about Kassandra, Paris's sister and the Prophetess of the God Apollo. It's been a while since I last read it, but I definitely plan on reading it again soon.

Chinese Cinderella - Adeline yen Mah
this novel had me in tears. It's a true story about the youngest child in a Chinese family, and how she gets treated poorly and abused by her 'evil stepmother' and family. It's another book I read a long time ago, but would definitely read again.

Oh, and if anyone has any good romance novels to suggest, (preferably pre 1950s,) or modern fantasies, I'd love to hear of them. Or anything like The Firebrand or Ramses. Or any good adult fiction, really.
Isn't his sister the one that gets a fling with Brad Pitt? :p

I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows, yet again. =P.

Yeah. I've only read HBP once, or maybe twice, but this is now the tenth time I've read DH. =P.

Violet Bellamy said:
Yeah. I've only read HBP once, or maybe twice, but this is now the tenth time I've read DH. =P.
Yeah, I think HBP is the least likely to be readed twice or more :p
Strange about that though is that I don't dislike HBP at all, it's just, dunno really =))

I'd say my HP favorites in order are:
Book 1
Book 7
Book 5
Book 4
Book 6
Book 3
Book 2 (Honestly, I hate the chamber of secrets :p)

A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray is an amazing book! It's one of those rare finds that once you start reading it, you can't put it down, you can't stop yelling at the characters for stupid mistakes that they don't know about, and you can't stop pining for the sequel. I loved it and the sequels (Rebel Angels, and [can't remember the title of the third book without hunting it down. I'll post it later) are equally amazing if not better.

Needless to say, I highly recommend them!

Ivy Dalebreeze said:
Violet Bellamy said:
Yeah, I think HBP is the least likely to be readed twice or more :p
Strange about that though is that I don't dislike HBP at all, it's just, dunno really =))

I'd say my HP favorites in order are:
Book 1
Book 7
Book 5
Book 4
Book 6
Book 3
Book 2 (Honestly, I hate the chamber of secrets :p)
My list would be

Book 7
Book 5
Book 4
Book 3
Book 1
Book 6
Book 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back