Lunch for one.

Freya Heimdall

OOC First Name
Kim
Wand
Mahogany Wand 16" Essence of Phoenix Feather
Freya sat down at the head table and opened the latest copy of "Runes Weekly" and waited for the house elf to bring her lunch. She had been having a great week so far and was happy that things in her life were going well.

While she waited her faithful owl Raido flew in and dropped a parchment on the table before her. In side was a letter from her son Njord.
Dear Mum;

Things at school are going great.  I've made lots of new friends and my classes are pretty good.  I'm trying really hard to get all O's but some are a little hard like DADA.  I'm trying to stay out of trouble like you asked.  I admit it is hard but I am trying. 

I've enclosed a picture of me from my last trip into Hogsmeade.  You can see I'm eating so you don't have to ask me if I am. 

HipCole-1.jpg

Well, I've got to go to Herbology now, I love you mum, see you soon.

Love,
Njord.

A smile spread over Freya's face. She was pleased that her son was adjusting to Hogwarts now and she could breathe a sigh of relief that he was no longer in danger. Slipping the rolled up parchment into her robes she looked at the lunch that had been served and dug in. Happiness made her hungry and she was famished.

"Do you mind if I sit here?" Patrick asked, there didn't seem to be any other adults about and he didn't particularly feel like eating alone!

Freya looked up at the sound of a voice. "Yes of course." She said with a smile. "I don't believe we've met. I'm Freya Heimdall, the Ancient Runes Professor." She added extending her hand.

Patrick took her hand in his and shook it gently, aware how strong his grip could be. "I'm Patrick, Patrick O'Brien. The new nurse here. But please do not feel under any obligation to call me nurse O'Brien! I tend to take great umbridge to it!" he smiled at her sitting down.
"Runes huh? you must be pretty clever!" he whistled, ashamed to admit it had been his worst subject once upon a time.

Freya chuckled at her witty companion. "Patrick it is, and no, not clever, just mildly interested in the past and other languages." Freya took a sip of her pumpkin juice. "Tell me, how are you enjoying Hogwarts so far?" Freya slipped her book closed and tucked it away under the table as she now had something much more interesting to do besides eat and read.

Patrick reached for some juice and smiled. He turned to her with hooded eyes.
"If you're only mildly interested in other languages and the past why make it your career? Strange if you ask me... think you might need to go to the hospital! could be something up there!" he laughed. He took a sip of his juice and looking at her smilingly he said, "So far, I like what I've seen of Hogwarts NZ!"

Freya laughed. "No hospital wing needed. I'm actually obsessed with my Runes. I haven't been at Hogwarts that long myself, I like it so far as well. So are you very busy in the hospital wing these days? Do we have very clumsy students?" Freya took a bit of her bacon, brie and caramelized onion on a ciabatta bun. It was her absolute favorite meal and the house elf James always made it special for her.

"No.. we seem to have a steady supply of healthy risk free students oddly enough!" Patrick looked at Professor Heimdell as she took a bite from her ciabatta.
"Now someones in with the chef because I know I didnt see that on the menu!" he laughed looking at the roast pork, mash and veg that was on his own plate. It seemed way too much right now, no matter how hungry he was!
"So, Professor Heimdell... " he looked up from his plate and smiled at her, "...how often do you come here then?" he laughed, "sorry weak humour!"

Freya chuckled with a raised eyebrow. "Well, oddly enough, I come here...almost everyday." She looked at her sandwich. "Yes this is a favorite of mine from back home. There was a small cafe near my home called Morning Glory and this was a specialty of theirs. I've taught a house elf how to make it and he now makes it for me two to three times a week. I am admittedly addicted to these as well."

"And your spare time is spent bewitching house elves to do your bidding!" Patrick roared with laughter now, "I'm going to have to be careful here I see! Well, if I tell you my favourite sandwich perhaps you could put a good word in as well?"

Freya laughed. "James is a very shy house elf and never seen except by me. But I'd be happy to put in an order for you." Freya cut a portion of her sandwich off and handed it to her lunch companion. "Here, give this a try, tell me what you think?"

Patrick accepted the piece of sandwich she offered and took a bite. He chewed slowly trying to deduce the ingredients used, he really liked his food and she was right - it was a damn good sandwich.
"The onion and bacon are nice but with the bried just melting slightly on them", Patrick sighed contentedly and bit the last piece he held in his hand, "Now that is really good! So I just pass my order to you from now on in?" he picked up a napking and wiped his hands.

"Certainly, now tell me Mr. O'Brien where are you from? or are you a New Zealand native?" Freya took another bite of sandwich and watched the gentleman sitting next to her.

"Oh!" Patrick pretended to wince, "My father great man that he is, is Mr O'Brien. You can call me Patrick!" he told her.
"I am not a native though - but with my devilish good looks you can be forgiven for thinking that!" he winked playfully pushing his lunch aside and drinking some of his juice.
"I am actually from Ireland. And yourself..." he smiled at her, "Professor Heimdall, where are you from?"

"Freya...please. I was born and raised in Norway. I have though traveled all over the world though researching ancient cultures but I love Norway the best." Freya had finished her lunch, never one to let good food sit, and finished off her pumpkin juice. "So, what do you like to do for fun...Patrick?"

"Norway huh? I've been to Oslo twice actually when I played with the Irish quidditch team. Great country...cold but great!" he smiled, he looked at her again "Freya? She was the norse goddess of love and fertility wasn't she? Apt name?"
Patrick put his cup down and raised both hands in the air as a means of apology.
"Please forgive me, that was uncalled for. Fun? teasing unsuspecting professors!" he laughed then on a slightly more serious note he said, "flying I guess! never gave it too much thought. My life has always been fun I suppose! What about you?"

Freya blushed slightly at the goddess reference. She had heard that one many times before but somehow from this man it didn't offend her like it did when other's said it in a lewd way. "Flying? well, unfortunately flying is not on my list of favorite things. I may be a witch but I do not own a broom and I much prefer ground travel or apparating to get me places." Freya looked at him curiously, "Quidditch...yes, you do look familiar. Would I have seen your face in the Daily Prophet Quidditch section?"

Now Patrick had the decency to blush.
"Most likely, I captained the team for quite a while and only last year went from that to assistant coach of the team. Everyone thought I was going for coach this year, so the papers had a field day when they got wind that I upped all the fame and glory for a nursing position here!" Patrick pushed his now cold food around on his plate, "I've grown the beard recently so no-one will point at me! Good disguise huh?"

"It's a good disguise." She lied. "Why would you dump everything and come to work here?" she added with a wave of her arm indicating the whole great hall.

"I don't see it that way I guess. A sports persons career is only so long. I did alot of healing and various courses to qualify me in the nursing field when I was assistant coach and my last few years as captain - mainly as the amount of accidents were scandulous!" he smiled,"I had been looking about for something else and was never quite sure what! Then my brother-in-law died and my niece was starting here. I read there was a position and I figured it was the change I needed. As well as being on the side lines for her if she needed someone!"

He frowned, he wasn't usually this talkative or revealing to anyone. He looked at her now and smiled perhaps she had bewitched him he thought.
"A witch who doesn't like flying... now that is something!"

"You have a niece here? Might I know her?" Freya smiled. "And no, I don't like to fly. I figure if I was meant to fly I would have been born with wings. I prefer my feet firmly on the ground." Freya added with a laugh.

"I don't know. She's a first year, I haven't heard her mention Runes so probably not! Andromeda Fiorelli? She's a good kid but going through a rough patch at the moment. Now she would die for you if she heard you talking about flying like that!" he smiled,
"She was actually born on a plane and has wanted to fly since she was knee high. Giovanni her father actually taught her for her birthday last year. She's been to nearly every one of my games. If she could come up with a spell that could make her fly without need of a broom - she would!"

Patrick loved his niece dearly and some times blamed himself for her obsession with flying.

"I do remember her name from the Sorting Ceremony. She loves to fly does she? Well perhaps that is the key, you have to learn early." Freya smiled at the obvious love he had for his neice. "Do you have children of your own or do you live vicariously through your neice?" she questioned.

Patrick laughed, "the last one!"
He sighed and shook his head, "I don't think I've had a relationship in the past several years that lasted longer than that ciabatta of yours. Don't get me wrong, I'm not fickle or anything but when your on the sports circuit, you tend to get alot of groupies! They don't always make good marriage material! I figure I've plenty of time left before I start chasing little tikes of my own!" He looked at her and smiling said, "What about you? children of your own, a husband, a home?"

"I have a wonderful son. His name is Njord. He is going to school at Hogwarts in Scotland. He is in his second year there. I'm sure he'd like your niece, he loves to fly as well." Freya fiddled with her hands a little and looked around the room. "Sadly his father was killed about a year after he was born. And I've been too consumed with my son and my runes to even carry on a conversation with another adult let alone a man. I think you may be one of the first since Tyr passed." Freya smiled trying to make the situation light.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back