Ford's rock

Ford had just glimpsed the smile and it was all he could do not to return it. But he did, despite himself. He pulled his things together into his pack and stood up. He looked down at the remaining sticks and pointed his wand at one, "Incendio!" It lit up, "Coloratus coruscus!" and it shimmered different colors. Finally, "Wingardium leviosa!" He floated it between the two of them, he looked at her and smiled roguishly in the changing light, "Shall we go?"

Sophia gave Ford a devilish smile as he levitated the color-changing, flaming stick in front of them. The light from the color-changing fire was being cast onto their faces, and Sophia watched the fire dance in his eyes. "Yes, we shall." And with that she turned and began walking to the castle with him.

Ford walked to his rock from Hogsmeade, leading Sophia along the way. The night was cloudless and quite still. There was a warm breeze that blew off the lake, rippling the almost mirror-like reflection of the stars.

"Well, here we are," Ford cocked his head to the right as he turned to Sophia.

Sophia stopped with Ford, feeling a bit dizzy. She looked up at the sky and her eyes twinkled with the reflection of the stars. "It's a beautiful night."

"It is, isn't it." Ford looked over and noticed her faltering a little, "Let's sit down," and motioned toward the rock on which he usually sat and practiced spells.

"All right," Sophia agreed and she looked to Ford before sitting down slowly. She shut her eyes tightly for a moment and then opened them again, blinking a bit. With a deep breath, Sophia returned her gaze to the stars.

"Feeling better?" Ford questioned, after looking up at the stars.

The location was empty, the way he liked it. It gave him time to think and practice spells on his own.

Sophia gave a bit of a sigh as she turned her gaze from the stars over to Ford. "Yes, much better. Ford, I really don't know what I would have done without you tonight. Thank you." It suddenly dawned on Sophia what she had said and she immediately looked down, quite embarrassed. If it weren't dark out, Ford would see her cheeks blushing.

Ford looked at her, he could barely see her face in the ambient starlight. "Hey it's alright," he cocked his head to the left, "It was nothing." He smiled roguishly at Sophia.

He pulled out his wand and twirled it around his fingers, and looked around behind the rock. In one fluid motion he pulled his wand from a spin around his index finger to pointing it at a nearby rock, "Accio!" The rock flew into his open off hand, and he measured its weight in his hand. "You ever skip rocks?" He inquired, looking at Sophia, hoping to cheer her up.

Sophia listened nervously to Ford, hoping he didn't think differently of her because of tonight. She looked up at him after he had asked his question. "Skipped rocks? No, I've never tried."

"It's easy," Ford said and stood up and flicked out his wand, "Lumos!" His wand lit up and he set it on the ground, "Watch me." Ford demonstrated with the rock, which skipped once or twice on the lake. Creating ripples in the mirrorlike silence.

"Accio rock!" The rock sped back into his hand when he picked up his wand again, and then set it down again, "Why don't you try, I'll help."

Tonight's going well, Ford thought, Aside from Bellatrix, that is. Sophia's really cool.

Sophia took out her own wand and found a stick. "Incendio," and the stick was now on fire. She stuck the stick upright into the ground, so that is acted as a sort of torch. She then said "Lumos," so that her wand was adding to the light in the area. She watched Ford as he skipped the rock, following as the rock bounced on the surface of the lake. She stood and walked over to Ford, picking up a rock along the way, putting it in her left hand, her wand in her right. "How do you make the rock bounce like that?"

"Well, first you hold the rock as such," he said positioning the rock in his hand and so it was visible in the wandlight, "Then you throw it like this." Ford flicked the rock out onto the lake, where it skipped three times.

He picked up his wand, "Accio rock!" And the rock flew into his open hand again, "Now, why don't you try it?"

"All right..." Sophia grasped onto the rock that was in her left hand. She pulled her arm back and made an attempt at throwing the rock out as Ford had just done. Apparently it had not worked, as her rock hit the surface of the water and sunk with a nice "plop."

Seeming a bit mad, Sophia frowned and looked down at the ground. She did enjoy not being good at things.

"It's alright, you'll get better," Ford said. He looked back at the stick Sophia had lit on fire nearby, "Coloratus coruscus!" He said with his wand pointed at it, and it began to shift through the spectrum. He began flipping his wand around his fingers dextrously and in a seamless movement he flipped the wand into his pocket, and then sat down on the rock again, "So, where are you from? I don't think we've ever really talked."

Sophia gave Ford a bit of a look as he made the fire change colors. "You really like that spell, don't you?" She walked over to the rock and sat down beside him, sitting up quite straight. "No, we haven't really talked I suppose. I’m from Spelthorne, Surrey, in England. It’s not very far from London. Where are you from?” She seemed to be relaxing a bit, becoming more comfortable around him.

Ford grinned maliciously, "County Limerick, Ireland. But it's cool, I never really lived in Ireland. My mother was a muggle ambassador, so I've lived on every continent but South America," he shrugged, "I guess I like that spell, it has no practical uses, but it looks cool."

Sophia could make out Ford's grin as the light changed colors on his face, and wondered what was making him grin like that. She decided to ignore his grin as she was quite interested in his mother. "An ambassador? That sounds so exciting. Does she have a lot of power?" The subject of power always interested Sophia.

"Meh, it varied on where we were," Ford shrugged, "When we were in Africa, there was only so much we could do. The muggle countries are almost in a constant state of anarchy and civil war, so as a foreign politician, there was only so much she could do. But in other countries like the States or France, she was pretty influential. It was from following her around that I learned my interest in politics."

"Muggle politics are so intriguing. I've always wanted to learn more about them, but my mother would not allow it. She believes that muggles are filthy and not worthy of even being looked at. I personally feel sorry for them. They can never live as we do, and will never enjoy life as we can. Their lives must be so mundane. Could you teach me about muggle politics? I would love to learn what you know." Sophia really seemed genuinely interested, and her harsh look was somewhat softened as the intrigue showed on her face.

Ford noted the look of interest and how it softened her usual hard features, and for a moment, was caught in how she looked in the dancing light.

"Well, it's hard to know where begin. Every country has it's own politics, but there are a few that affect things on a global scale, like the European Union, the United States, China, and India."

"Not sure, I've never really seen that much of wizard culture and politics yet," Ford shrugged, "The main difference I've seen so far is that there are a lot more muggles than wizards. So the dynamics of the politics are naturally different."

((Wow, a 12 year old would never talk like this... :blink: ))

"Yes, there does seem to be more muggles out there than witches and wizards. Pity really, that they'll never know the wonder of magic." Sophia could sense that Ford didn't know what to say, so she tried to change the subject. "So, your mother is a muggle?" Sophia seemed not to be disgusted, but rather intrigued by this.

"Yeah," Ford responded looking up at the clear night sky, "As a result, I'm not much for the whole 'pureblood' thing. Most of what I've learned, I learned from her. She also was pretty accepting of my being a wizard. She was right shocked when me Dad told her about his magical abilities, but she got used to it. How about your parents?" Ford asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back