Three Cheers For Loneliness

Larissa Sedgwick

OOC First Name
Beth / Bethy
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Cherry Wand 12 1/2" Essence of Wood Rose
The holidays had begun, and Larissa was stuck at Durmstrang. She had hoped to see Mark over the Christmas period, but he had been too swamped with work. So, with no chance of going home to be with the man she loved, Larissa found herself a seat in the hall, far from the few other students who were trapped there, also.

The hall, as it was, was quite baron of students and decorations, alike. Most of the stuff had been broken, packed away or disenchanted after the ball. Larissa had only glimpsed them, briefly, in the days prior the event. But now, all that stood, was a large tree in one corner, several clumps of holly about the dark walls, and a few candles which floated feebly, three feet above. Everyone seemed hungover from the ball. Larissa let her mind wander, in an attempt to distract herself. It did wander. .. To Mark. She gave a longing groan, before her head fell forwards into her arms. She gave one more long, continuous groan, before she shook her head, sighed, and looked up to see someone sat opposite her. Larissa stared for a moment, looking almost sleeping, her eyes, unfocussed. "Oh.." She began, before she decided she couldn't be bothered to tell this person where to shove any Christmas cheer they may have had. She spoke in German, as she always did, nowadays. "Hello."

Having finally found a place to settle in over Christmas, Roxy was sitting in the Hall, pouring over her favourite book. She had recently been found a place at Durmstrang, after travelling a lot to different foster parents. Christmas was never Roxy's favourite season. It always meant spending time and money on people she never liked. But this year, Roxy was determined to make it a Christmas that she wanted.
Roxy jumped slightly in fright, after hearing a long groan. She looked up, and saw a blonde girl looking at her. She frowned slightly, hearing her greet Roxy in German. German was a new language Roxy had recently picked up, thinking it would be necessary for Durmstrang. However, she hadn't learnt much. She studied the girl for a second, wondering what she would be like. "Hello. Who are you?" She asked in German.

[OOC: Wow, I didn't realize it was that short, sorry Beth!]

((Don't be sorry, it's fine.))

Larissa gave a short, false smile. She had to pretend things were fine, she had to get through. She always got through, that's what she did. "I'm Larissa- I just transferred from Hogwarts in New Zealand." Again with that same introduction. It was really starting to bore her. Perhaps, in the future, she should throw in a few swear words, do a quick Irish jig and maybe the odd backflip, just to spice things up? Her head was completely elsewhere, and Larissa just wanted to hide away from the world. She was so tired, so sad. Inside, Larissa was dying, her heart ripping to shreds. It was her first Christmas as an orphan, and she couldn't even spend it with the man she loved. "Well?" She asked the girl, in a lazy form of snapping, "Aren't you going to wish me a merry -bloody- Christmas, or something?" Her grump was showing, but it was working as a shield for something much deeper. How much longer she could hide her depression, was anyone's guess.

Roxy didn't return the smile the girl gave her. Instead she listened as she introduced herself with an uninterested expression. Deep down in her heart, some place that Roxy hid well, she was happy to have someone to talk to. However, she would never let this known. Roxy hoped that Larissa would be someone worth talking to. "I'm Roxanne. I've also just transferred, but from home-schooling." Roxy decided to leave it at that, not wanting to get into her past much; not that she would tell the girl anyway, being one that doesn't trust easy. Roxy raised an eyebrow when Larissa snappily asked if she was going to wish her a Merry Christmas. She smiled slightly noticing that Larissa was cranky.
"What's so merry about Christmas?" Roxy asked. "There's nothing fantastic about it." She replied in equal grump.

Larissa, in an ironic twist, found her spirits rise as Roxanne declared that there was nothing fantastic about Christmas. She had to hold in a shout of 'at last!' Perhaps Larissa was judging too easily? But then, this was Larissa, and Larissa was always fast to judge. Where a plastic smile had hung only moments previous, a very slight, genuine smirk, replaced it. "It's good to meet someone with perspective," Larissa said, nodding a little as she spoke, "Christmas is for people who care." Larissa found herself assuming a 'I couldn't give two mice' attitude. Even though it was sudden, she was very good at it- mostly because it was true.

There was a moment of silence, in which, Larissa thought of the other people she had met, of the things she had yet to do. "So," she said, making a lazy (though, secretly keen) attempt at conversation. "You made many friends, yet?" Again, she had to resist the urge to boast. Although, she scarcely had much to boast about. And, though it was not necessarily his fault, Larissa decided that she would secretly get back at Mark.

Roxy nodded slowly as she listened to what Larissa said about Christmas. "Exactly. And I really don't give a-" Roxy paused before swearing. Not that she worried about what others thought of it, but she recently found it very un-ladylike to swear, and was starting to refrain herself from doing so. "I really don't care. I'm glad you don't either. It is nice to meet someone with perspective." She repeated Larissa, glancing at her quickly. She then looked back down at her book and continued to read. Roxy didn't care for much, for people or events. She only cared for herself, and her close friends; which she hadn't made yet.
Whilst reading, Roxy heard Larissa talk again. She looked up in a grump, and slammed her book shut. "No, I haven't made any friends. I haven't met many people that have taken to my fancy. No-one worth talking to really. Now, shall I continue to read, or will you ask me another question to try and get me to like you?" Roxy smirked cheekily.

Larissa was a little surprised by Roxy's reaction, and she didn't know whether to stay or go. She decided that a few more minutes would do no harm, and did not move. It had amused her, somewhat, that the girl had avoided swearing. It wasn't as though every other living being within the walls of the castle had never sworn before, or used the words several times a day. Still, each to their own.

"If it would not be 'grilling' you beyond equal measure," Larissa started, sarcasm spewing from her words, though they still remained pleasant in truth, "what are your thoughts on Quidditch?" Larissa seemed to find it a necessity to ask anyone whom she met. To her, it was very important. She was a huge fan of the game and had hoped to play in a match or two at Durmstrang. Well, if all went to plan, she would have her own troop of 'friends' to play Quidditch with. Private matches were always more fun than formal ones. For starters, the rules could be changed to suit the players, and those playing, were only those deemed worthy by the person in charge. Larissa smiled as she subconsciously called herself a leader, and she focussed back on Roxy, ignoring two students fighting over a Christmas cracker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back