First Years, Lesson One

Noel sat down behind his desk, one that once had been from the person who had teached him this subject. But now it was his. As he had made things all ready to start he watched around the classroom, still empty seats who would be soon filled with first years. But as he heard some voices outside of the classroom he opened the door with an movement with his hand. And saw the classroom filling with students, the youngest ones. He went standing up and welcomed them with an friendly smile. Making sure he had an good look of the different faces. Who he would be teaching the upcoming four years. Some seemed excited, others less. But if there was one subject that they could get excited about it was this. And one that was very important. It had been Noel’s favorite back when he was an student here too. So he was excited to bring that to his students.

As he waited for everyone to sat down, and it seemed like everyone was inside he closed the door with an simple wave of his wand. And let his friendly brown eyes scan the room through the room. " Welcome first years, to Defence Against the Dark Arts.'' he than started, speaking loud and clear. '' My name is Noel Waldgrave, and I will be your professor for this class, for the next four years.'' He than paused for an moment and continued with an smile. '' You can address me as Noel or Professor Waldgrave. Choose what you are comfortable with.'' He than directly made clear. He had no problem with students using his first name, it was more personal and he wanted to be someone that students could turn to and build up an relationship. Since they would have to continue for an long time with eachother. As he noticed he got the attention, he continued. Looking an bit more strict and making sure this was clear. " I want you to remember well, that this is an subject which you should not be taken lightly. I will not tolerate any fooling around in this class. In this world, the dark arts are mostly used to cause harm to others, so I want you to pay attention to everything you are taught.'' He than paused to let that sink in. "If you won’t follow this and fail to do so, you will find yourself in this classroom writing lines until the messenge is very clear.'' He than looked around to see if there was anyone who would want to try that out.

With an flick of his wand the rules appeared behind him on the blackboard and he went standing aside so they could read them for themselves. If it was necessary he would remember them to it. But he was sure they would have an great time together. Being strict was necessary in this important parts. But he would do his best to make sure the lessons were enjoyable too. As he had given some time to read them over he than let the rules disappear. And walked through the classroom. '' Now, who can give me a brief description of the Dark Arts?'' he than asked and looked at people raising their hands. And would see who would have done some reading before the year would begin. He than pointed at an student and smiled and gave an approving nod as they answered the question right. '' That’s right. Good job.'' He said with an smile. And walked back to the front of the class. '' We will spend the majority of this semester on theory as it will prove useful for your future studies.'' He than said, and figured it was perhaps not what the eager first years were wanting to hear. But you needed to know the basics before moving on. And some seemed to understand that better than others in the room. " But don’t worry, we will also practice wandwork this semester.'' He than added, and seeing some smile and sighing out of relief. He than sat down at his desk and continued. '' We will practice curses, hexes, jinxes and counter-spells for each of these as you advance through the years.'' Noel would tell them what they could expect. '' Magic is something beautiful. But not all magic is good and not all magic is used to do good in this world unfortunately... Therefore it’s very important to learn how to defend yourself from it. It is a fundamental part of any witch or wizards education.'' He than spoke, and felt confident about how it went so far. He would not want to talk too fast, for the people who took notes.

He than stood up again and would finish his talk. '' To succeed in my class. I recommend that you turn in your assignments on time, and participate in the exercices. Put in some serious effort and that will be noticed.'' Noel than wanted to motivated his students. And watched different faces. He than looked at the time and figured it was well timed. ''We have twenty minutes left. For homework I want you to write down one question that you may have about this class, within reason. I will do my best to answer them. When you are done with this, you can turn it in on my desk and you may leave.'' When he finished he walked back to his desk and sat down on the chair.

- Please review the DADA Class Policy for first through fourth years.

- Roleplay the lesson and do the homework assignment for extra credit. I will do my best to answer your character's question before the next class!

- The first student to give a somewhat accurate description of the Dark Arts will also receive extra credit!

Magne knew that going back to his parents had been a good and bad decision. Good in the sense that he loved being home, being with his parents was so good, but he also knew that the moment he got back it would mean a little re-learning of all his english. He hadn’t spoken a word of it while at home. His parents had tried to speak it with him but he’d always just responded in greek. But he knew he would get it back quicker than the first time around, it was all in his head mostly. But it did mean he was again feeling a little behind the curve. He was getting himself together, he gathered up books and notes and then headed out of the dorm, with everything he could need for this to be a good enough day.

Magne walked into the defence against the dark arts classroom and took a spot in the room. This was one of the classes which magne had been most curious about. Since he couldn’t, even from the reading figure out a close eqvilant to it. It was just a class that was something he didn’t know about. The professor introduced himself to the students and then explained a little about it. Magne leaned forward, listening as closely as he could to be sure he was getting and understanding each word being said. He looked to one of the other student to be able to pick up on what they were answering to the question. The professor spoke for a little longer before the lesson was wrapped up with some homework - to ask a question - and Magne knew exactly what to ask before leaving the room.

Ambrose hadn't particularly enjoyed being home for the break. Mostly because it felt like nothing had changed, which should be good. But it wasn't. Not really. Even when he had expected his parents to be their usual busy selves it still stung a little when they just went on with business as usual. They seemed genuinely happy to see him when they picked him up from the station but back at home it felt like they had fallen straight back into their routines. Almost as if he hadn't just been away for a couple of months. Like he had been there the entire time. Being back at school was different though, it made him happy. Excited. Glad to see his friends and get back into the swing of things.

He had taken his seat in the defence against the dark arts classroom and took out his notes, ready to hear what professor Waldgrave had to tell them. He made sure to pay attention when the professor told them about the dark arts and tried to keep up with his notes as best he could. He doubted for a second when they were asked a question but resisted raising his hand, a little afraid he might give the wrong answer. Instead, he just kept writing along until class was wrapped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back