excogitating

Courtney Potter

Wand
Best wand ever!
Courtney had been pacing the third floor corridor for at least 15 minutes, thinking about what would happen during the new year. She was already feeling overwhelmed with school work, and knew it would end up taking a toll on her extra curriculars. She needed help.

Feeling that pacing was doing more harm than good, she leaned against a wall and slid down it until she was in a sitting position. Courtney pulled out a book from her bookbag and began to read.

Kat was wandering through the corridor on the third floor, not doing or looking for anything in particular. She was just really bored and had decided to wander around. She continued walking down the corridor, admiring some of the tapestries and suits of armor, when she noticed Courtney sitting up against a wall reading a book. Kat approached her friend and said jokingly, "You know there's actually a room in the castle for doing things like that....It's called a library. You can sit and read...and the chairs are a bit more comfy than sitting on that cold stone floor!"

Courtney looked up at Katalina and giggled. "Hey there Katalina, let me inform you on a little known secret. The library is overrated. These floors are as comfortable as they come."

Courtney tapped on the floor beside where she was sitting, indicating that she wanted Katalina to take a seat. "Well, what are you waiting for? Test it out for yourself, darling."

Kat snorted at the comment that Courtney had made about the comfort of the floors. She took a seat down beside her friend and replied, "Oh yeah! I see what you mean. These are really comfortable!" Kat wriggled around a bit until she got comfy herself and then added, "So whatcha up to these days? I haven't had much chance to talk to you since school has started back."

"I told you!" Courtney said through bits of laughter, "these floors are the best kept secret Hogwart's has!" She then bookmarked her page and plopped her book on the floor. "Hmm, what am I up to? Other than schoolwork, I've been trying to figure out what to do with the student clubs I have to run this year. With all of my homework and quidditch, it's becoming more and more difficult to spend time planning activities. Thankfully Lily is a great help with the sorority. But enough of my ranting, how have you been?"

Kat listened as Courtney vented about being completely overloaded with school actvities. She pondered on this for a moment before replying. "I've been well. A little bored with classes, but doing my homework and trying to keep busy. You said you had quite a handful with some of the clubs....well, is there anything that I can help with? I'm not sure how much help i'd be, but I sure will try my best!"

Courtney thought for a moment about Katalina's offer. She was sure that it was an offer out of guilt, but Courtney excogitated about what Kat could do for a club. Maybe she can help out with the SDA, I mean, she'd probably enjoy it. "Hey, Kat? Would you be interested in helping lead the SDA? This year I was planning on splitting up the club into two groups, one for younger students and one for older students. You could totally lead the younger students! I mean, only if you want to."

Kat had a wide grin spread from ear to ear when Courtney had asked her to help with the younger students for the SDA. "OF COURSE!" she practically barked out. Oh frick Kat! Way to yell at her you stooge! she scolded herself. She regained some composure and then replied, "What I meant was, of course, I'd love to help out. I think it would be a lot of fun! What is it that you need me to do exactly? I'm ready and willing to do just about anything."

Courtney jumped back slightly, very surprised at Katalina's enthousiasm. Although, it was a rather pleasant surprise. "Thank you Kat! You're awesome!" Courtney was beaming, she hoped Katalina would enjoy the club enough to help out with it permanently.

"Well, all you really have to do is make sure they listen to instructions and avoid injuring themselves." Courtney winked at this, as nobody had been physically injured during an SDA meeting before. "I was thinking of having a guest speaker for the first meeting, actually. Get everyone talking about defence to start, rather than actually practicing spells."

"I can't wait! And I promise i'll work really hard on it." Kat replied excitedly. Just then an idea popped into her head..."Maybe we could ask Professor King to be our guest speaker. I mean who better to talk to us then the person who teaches us Defence Against the Dark Arts. And then there was that bit about him in the Daily Prophet. You know about him being an auror and all that." She hoped that Courtney would think that this was a good idea.

"Professor King! Wow, that's a great idea, Kat!" Courtney jumped up excitedly, ready to go ask the professor. But what if he doesn't want to give a speech? I mean, that article just came out. "Er, what if he says no?"

And then just as quickly as her excitement had come, it then left her. Deflated like a balloon. "I hadn't given that any thought." said Kat with a sigh. What if he didn't want to do it? Then they would have to look outside the world of Hogwarts to find someone. Kat sat in thought for a few moments before chirping, "Well...it never hurts to ask. I mean the worse he can do is say no, right?" Or curse us into oblivion! Kat looked to Courtney and said, "So...what do you think? Should we at least try and ask him to do it?"

Courtney smiled weakly at Katalina, feeling guilty about bringing her hopes down. "You know what, let's just go ask him. Remeber the saying, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst? Let's just not think of that one!"

Kat's bright smile returned to her face as she looked at Courtney and said, "Let's do it! So...when should we ask him? Do you think we should wait a few days, ya know till all the hype wears off? Or ask him ASAP?"

"Let's go ask him now," Courtney shouted as she began to jog away from Katalina. "Last one to King's office will grow a beard longer than the one famous wizard Albus Dumbledore had!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back