Worrying at breakfast

Trixie Pompeii

Wand
Almond Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Phoenix Tail Feather
Trixie sat down at the Gryffindor table, dropping her bag on the ground beside her. She yawned and looked around the hall. Everywhere she looked there were people chatting and laughing with their friends. She sighed sadly and pulled a bowl of porridge towards her. A few weeks ago, Trixie's grandmother had died & she'd had to return home to Ireland. She'd been intending to return to Hogwarts the day after the fuenral, but had suddenly been taken ill.
My stupid Mother, Trixie thought bitterly. My flu wasn't that bad, I could've come back here anway if she hadn't been so over-protective!
But her mother had insisted she stay at home until she was completely better, meaning that Trixie had missed several weeks of school.
That was the worst time of the year for me to miss, too, she though. Everyone has developed friendships now, and I'll be left on my own again! Not to mention all the classes I've missed...
Trixie's father had done his best to teacher her at home but, not being allowed to do magic, Trixie hadn't made much progress. As she thought of the classes she would have after breakfast, the knot of worry in her stomach tightened painfully. She gave another sad sigh, and started on her porridge.

Taylor walked into the main hall for breakfast after getting changed ready for her classes later that day. She really couldn't be bothered to do any of them but at least it got her away from her foster brother. He was a major jerk and would do anything to annoy her. While she was at Hogwarts, it proved difficult for him to do that as he was so far away.
Taylor wondered where she was going to sit when she spotted a girl she didn't recognise sat alone. The girl looked a bit down so Taylor decided she'd try and cheer her up. "Hey." She sat next to the girl who looked a bit younger than Taylor. "I'm Taylor Marks. Whatsup??"

Trixie jumped as she heard a voice close by. Looking up, she saw that a girl had sat down in the empty seat beside her.

"Hey" Trixie replied shyly. "I'm Trixie. Nothing's up really... I... Well..."

Trixie trailed off. She didn't really know how to say what was on her mind, without sounding like she was giving way too much information. But this girl seems nice, she though. She took the time to come and talk to me, so she must genuinely want to know.

"Well I've had a bit of time off school, and I guess I'm just having a bit of trouble readjusting.." she muttered.

"Doesn't that kinda make it easier to make friends??" She frowned curiously. "If you make friends with one person then they introduce you to all of their friends and you end up in a group of friends."
Taylor shrugged. "I'm in my second year here now and I have about two friends." She didn't mind this as she was more of a solo person rather than a team player but it could get lonely sometimes.

Trixie nodded at Taylor.
"Actually yeah, if you put it like that it doesnt't sound to bad!" she said.
Trixie felt the anxious knot in her stomach relax a little bit, and gave a small smile.
"Yeah I'm the same, I've never really had many friends and I was always OK on my own. I just always kind of hoped things would be a bit different when I came here" she told Taylor.

"Same. I never really expected much difference when I came here though." Taylor shrugged as she grabbed some toast and buttered it. "I'm more solo so I'm happy being on my own." She grinned as she was telling the complete truth. Taylor just hopped this girl wouldn't try and make Taylor's other side come out or she'd never make friends with her and friends was something Taylor could probably do with.

Trixie grinned. "That's probably the best way to be" she said. " I wish I could feel like that! I never really fitted in at the muggle school I went to, but I thought it was just because I was a witch, so I was determinded to make friends when I came here."
Trixie took another spoonful of her porridge, which was starting to go cold.
"I did have a few friends here before I left, but... I guess they've all made other friends now" she added.
Trixie hesitated. She wasn't sure if she was saying too much - she didn't want to sound completely pathetic, and maybe she was complaining a bit too much. But, Trixie thought, this girl seems nice. She seems to understand how I'm feeling.
Trixie smiled at Taylor. "Sorry if I sound like I'm whining by the way.. it's just good to have someone to talk to about this".

Taylor smiled. "Not at all. I was like you last year but I've given up and now I just get on with my life the way it is." She shrugged. "I never knew I was a witch until I got the letter. I'm an orphan and my step family had no idea about mgic so when I ot my letter I thought it would be a great escape. I wasn't exactly popular at my old school and my stp brother wasn't or isn't exactly the kindest person in the world. I thought I'd be able to start over and make friends without him around. He's not around but I'm not making friends." Taylor didn't want to bother Trixie with her family problems so she kept her daily beatings from her step brother under the belt.

"Really?" Trixie replied. "I only have one brother and he's my favourite person in the world."
She couldn't quite imagine not getting on with Leo.
"It's a shame you didn't get on with him, but I suppose at least you can be away from him here."
Trixie thought she heard something in Taylor's voice when she talked about her step-brother; it sounded as though she was almost scared of him. Trixie thought maybe there was more to the situation than Taylor was admitting, but knew she couldn't ask. Instead she gave her an encouraging smile.
"I think it's probably better to only have a small number of friends anyway. That way you get to know them really well, I think I'd rather have a few close friends than loads that I don't know very well. We both still have years left here to make friends anyway!" Trixie grinned. She was feeling much happier now - talking to Taylor had really cheered her up.

"It must be great being so close to your family." Taylor smiled but the smile didn't reach her eyes. "I'd love to get on with my step brother. It's just hard to get on with someone like him." Taylor shrugged. "I get on wit the few friend I have anyway. I know them all pretty well and never argue with them. I'd never be able to stay friends with people that I don't know ver well. I'd keep saying thewrng things and end up fighting all the time. When I know people, I know what not to say so I don't fight over nothing." Taylor felt like she could trust Trixie. It was odd but she liked it. There was only really a few people she felt she could really trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back