Walk in the night

Bearse Prosinian

By the time they'd walked back to the school grounds night had fallen. The night air had turned cool and there was little light provided by the moon. Bearse had his hands shoved in his pockets, he wore a scowl on his face. The scar on his lip contrasted starkly white against his face.

Cecily sighed heavily. Things weren't going her way.... School started tomorrow, lesson plans needed to be updated and the notebook she jotted everything in for her lessons was missing. She kicked at a rock in the path. It thudded against a tree.

Suddenly, she realized where they were and how far they'd gotten into the woods.

"Bearse, why did you bring us here?"she asked. She felt little butterflies dancing in her stomach.

Bearse clenched his hands into fists. He was glad for the cover of darkness by the trees and the waning moonlight. He could feel that thing in his chest, creeping trying to crawl out of its trapped place, its call was burning him. He gave a barking cough, quickly turning his head away from her. He rubbed at his chest in agitation. The skin on his forearm wriggled, tightening, pressing into the muscle.
"Cecily...go back to the castle." His voice was soft, quiet.

"I'm not going! You can't keep shutting me out, not this soon. Tell me what's wrong," she said beseechingly, holding out her hands palm up to him.

Cecily turned and sent her patronus to the castle with an urgent message to the nurse on duty and to Alicia. She whirled around, putting her arms around Bearse to keep him steady.

"Lean on me, I'm here,"she said soothingly.

"Lumos!" Perse hurriedly made her way through the dark night into the Forbidden Forrest. She hoped she could be of some help. She was feeling guilty for not having sent co-Headmaster Prosinian something to help him with his cough, like she'd meant to do. She came upon them and stopped, assessing the situation.
"What happened?"

His chest felt tight, it hurt to breathe. Spots burst before his eyes. He coughed harder. Something warm and wet ran down his chin. He reached blindly for his wife. There was laughter. Who was laughing? Darkness consumed him.

Perse conjured a stretcher and levitated his body onto it. She called for his wife to follow her and hurried to the castle, yet carefully.

(new thread at the hospital ward)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back