OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Ignacio) (Bi
Ruby had never understood the weight of the world until it was lifted from her. Thinking back on how much she had closed herself off, hidden from things that made her happy, because happy wasn't respectable enough, Ruby ached for the decades she had wasted. It had taken a new kind of love, feelings she had never known she was capable of having, for a man she truly knew she could trust, for Ruby to finally realise how much of herself she was hiding. And now she was finally allowing that self to be free, to be joyous, to enjoy life in a way she wished she had done years ago. Ruby owed so many people apologies for the years she had been under a cloud of gloom, keeping herself locked behind the serious face she thought she had to wear to be respected. Ruby knew she especially owed her son an apology, wished she had been more present in Vivian's upbringing.

Right now, though, Ruby's mind was on joy and joy alone. Ruby had never been one to do things on a whim before, but Ignacio had taught her the wonder of spontaneity, the kinds of fun you could have when you simply decided to set off on a new adventure with the person you trusted the most. Right now was the fulfilling of one such adventure, and Ruby couldn't wipe the grin from her face as she unlocked the door to her house, litterbox and food bowl clutched in her other hand. Ignacio was carrying the cat cage Pablo inhabited carefully, and she led the way into the house, closing the door behind her boyfriend. "Here we are!" Ruby said cheerfully, crouching down slightly to address the kitty Ignacio was carrying. "Welcome home!"

Being spontaneous and living solely in the moment was one of the few ways Ignacio chose to find happiness during the worst of the struggles with his family, a means for him relax and avoid worrying too heavily about the future, and a habit that continued to remain since bravely deciding to move forward with his life. So it was no surprise he soon found himself deciding to adopt a cat with his girlfriend. Taking care of an animal was a long term commitment, to both the animal and Ruby and not a decision to be taken lightly which Ignacio entirely understood. In all honesty the notion of the commitment was one Ignacio was excited to have, and a larger part of the reason he felt entirely taken over with excitement as he carried the travel cage into Ruby's home. Pablo the cat marked more new beginnings and adventures with someone he cared about, and there was no perspective Ignacio could have on the situation that wasn't surrounded by excitement and happiness, the bright smile on his face as Ruby welcomed the cat to his new home a testament to this.​
Remembering the decision to introduce Pablo to Ruby's house via the living room, Ignacio stepped forward, gently placing the cage on the floor near the coffee table, and kneeling down to open the small door. "Welcome, Pablo." Ignacio said softly, watching as the cat began to step out of the cage and take in his new surroundings. Not wanting to overwhelm the cat too much in a new place, Ignacio kept a small distance, looking over to Ruby for a moment to share how he was feeling. "I love you. This is such a happy moment." Glancing back to Pablo, Ignacio felt his smile widen knowing he and Ruby would be able to give this cat a happy life.​

Watching Pablo make his way curiously out of his carry-cage, Ruby's heart melted all over again. The big fluffy cat had stolen her heart the same way Ignacio had, and though the cat had been a spur of the moment decision, Ruby already felt as though her family had never been complete without him. She already knew exactly where she was going to set up a big cat tower the next chance she got to go shopping, and couldn't wait for cosy evenings curled up on the sofa with Ignacio and Pablo. Her life finally felt as though it was falling into place in a way the lost, scared, angry girl she had been in her twenties had never thought it could. Ruby was a bit embarrassed to realise there were tears bubbling to the surface as she watched Pablo sniff the underside of the coffee table curiously, and she blinked them back quickly, smiling warmly as she turned to look at Ignacio. "I love you too." She said softly. "This is... I needed this. Not just Pablo... everything. You, I needed you. Thank you."

As much as Ignacio wanted to continue watching Pablo explore his new home, it was impossible for him to focus solely on the cat while Ruby’s words warmed his heart. In every possible way he felt the same, whether it was said or unsaid in the time they were together. Meeting Ruby and building a life with her was all he needed to feel as if his hard work and sacrifice was worth it, and now that she was part of his life he couldn’t imagine living without her. To that day it baffled him to consider where he would be instead if he wasn’t brave enough to try and date again, and if he had never realised how amazing Ruby was as a person. It was a reality he never wanted to experience, and one he wished would never happen with the commitment of owning an animal together further solidifying their relationship. Ignacio never would have guessed such a feeling of comfort and stability with someone was possible for him, but with Ruby in his life he wanted to value it, value her and everything she was more than he valued himself. Every step forward was a new adventure and he wanted to make the most of it, jumping into everything with an open heart because he thought that was the least he could do for someone that meant the world to him.​

Caught up in his emotions, overwhelmed with all that was happening, and most importantly what it meant for his future with Ruby, Ignacio failed to realize a silence had fallen. When he did notice, he chuckled, furrowing his brows and shaking his head slightly. “Sorry, just lost in my own thoughts.” He explained. “Thank you for being you, I never thought I would have a life like this, and now I do and it’s all because of you.” He responded, in a way unable to place words to all the feelings swirling around in his chest, but hopeful that what he was saying was enough to suffice. “I want this to last forever.” Ignacio added honestly, moving to hold one of her hands in his own. A small showing of affection he used to voice the feelings that were yet to be put into words.​

Ruby watched Ignacio's face, a little worried that her words had been too much. The two of them were usually on the same page on everything, but Ruby wasn't used to being in such an intense relationship, and she sometimes worried she felt things for Ignacio he wasn't feeling for her. His expression didn't look bad though and she forced herself to relax, the forced relaxation becoming real as he came out of his thoughts and spoke. Ruby smiled warmly, squeezing Ignacio's hand gently when he took hers, wondering how someone so perfect could have come into her life. "So do I..." She said softly, meeting his eyes for a moment, before her heart did a double take. Ignacio still hadn't stood up from letting Pablo out of the cage, kneeling on the floor of her living room in front of her. Was this just a coincidence, or...?

Adopting Pablo symbolized commitment and a step forward in his relationship with Ruby that he was nothing short of ready to make, but it wasn’t until Ignacio paused again, noticing he was on one knee in front of her, with her hand in his own did he realize it wasn’t enough. The commitment of taking care of an animal with Ruby was one that made Ignacio incredibly happy, and one he felt nothing short of ready for, though with the emotions behind the decision beginning to settle down and his mind less clouded by how exciting everything was he allowed himself to realize that he wanted more. Adopting a cat suddenly seemed like too little of a commitment in the grand scheme of things, leaving Ignacio silent again, the thought of committing to Ruby in every way setting in. When he mustered the courage to ask the question on his mind, he tired to sound confident, ignoring the worry that it was too soon, or not extravagant enough. Ruby deserved the world but he knew if he went out of his way to plan a proposal rather than ask as soon as he began to consider it, it would go against his beliefs of acting on the moment and diving into new adventures head first.​
This might seem sudden, but how do you feel about marrying me?” He finally asked after clearing his throat, keeping his eyes on Ruby. With a cat they needed to take care of, and the love Ignacio felt for Ruby it seemed only natural that they make a commitment that took their relationship even further. Ignacio had known in the back of his mind he wanted to marry Ruby eventually, growing old with her and living the same happy life he witnessed with his parents as he grew up. It just had not seemed attainable or right in regards to timing until that moment, when introducing Pablo to his home helped him realize the step they were forward should have been much bigger. Whether Ruby thought the same was her choice though for the time being Ignacio was happy to simply ask, throwing caution to the wind and continuing to live in the moment.​

The thought had seemed crazy as soon as it occurred to Ruby. Ignacio was just kneeling because he had been letting Pablo out. She was thinking sentimentally because she was excited about having a cat. There was no chance Ignacio would actually... but then he spoke, and Ruby's eyes widened in shock. She laughed breathlessly and squeezed Ignacio's hand, struggling to process that he had really asked her that question. It wasn't so long ago that Ruby had felt resigned to a life without love, but now... now everything had changed, and her heart felt fit to burst with love for the man in front of her. She nodded quickly, reaching up with her free hand to wipe a tear she hadn't realised was welling. "I feel good!" Ruby laughed breathlessly, squeezing Ignacio's hand tightly. "I feel really good!"

Worry began to form in the pit of Ignacio’s stomach when Ruby’s eyes widened at his question, though it dissolved as quickly as it appeared when she laughed and said felt good about marrying him. In the same way they always seemed to be on the same page, the same wavelength and level in their entire relationship it seemed agreeing to get married was no exception and Ignacio could not have been happier. “Then lets get married!” Ignacio exclaimed, tears welling in his eyes as he stood up, letting go of Ruby’s hands to wrap his arms around her in an affectionate bear hug. “This really is one of he happiest moments of my life. I love you so much, I can’t wait to spend forever with you.” He said as he pulled away, only breaking eye contact with Ruby to glance back down towards Pablo, who thankfully seemed comfortable in his new home thus far. Blinking away the tears still forming in his eyes, Ignacio returned his gaze to Ruby. “I don’t have a ring or anything, but I will have to get one later.” He said, not minding how woefully unprepared he was to make a proposal since they did have a new cat to look after. Pablo needed to be put first that day, and Ignacio knew it would take longer than a day to find the perfect ring to make their engagement official.​

Ruby laughed in agreement, feeling tears of joy prick at her eyes as she nodded quickly. When Ignacio hugged her she flung her arms tight around him, lifting her feet off the floor slightly for a moment, letting Ignacio hold her up. They were going to get married. Just a couple of years ago, Ruby would never have seen herself opening up this much to anyone, but Ignacio had changed everything in her life, for the better. Ruby clung to him tightly, hugging her fiancee with all her strength until he pulled away, reluctantly releasing him at last. "I love you too." She said softly, wiping her eye and then shifting her hand to touch his cheek gently. She chuckled softly at his comment about a ring, stroking his cheek with her thumb. "That's alright." Ruby said softly. "There's time for all of that. I just... I'm really happy." She smiled warmly. "This is perfect."

“This is perfect.” Ignacio agreed, moving his hand over to where Ruby’s was on his cheek. He placed a kiss on the center of her wrist, hoping this was enough to show how he felt with his words no longer being enough. When they decided to adopt a cat, Ignacio never thought it would lead to an official engagement. A discussion about the future, and a promise that looking after a pet was one commitment of many he wanted to have with Ruby, absolutely, but jumping multiple steps forward to a proposal and engagement was the last thing he expected. Though he was wholeheartedly happy in the moment, now that everything had happened he wouldn’t have it any other way. This truly was perfect, in every possible way, Ignacio had already begun to think about their next move. “I guess I should move in then, too, start packing my stuff and bring it over today.” Ignacio said after sniffling, his emotions still overwhelming him. He glanced over to Pablo again, then back to Ruby, trying not to get too caught up in the moment, he didn’t want the new addition in their lives to be forgotten. He wanted to make sure Pablo’s introduction to his forever home went well. “Do you think Pablo will be alright if I leave for a little while to get a suitcase?” Ignacio asked, moving his hands to Ruby’s waist and kissing her cheek, as if he was ready to leave immediately to gather his belongings together.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back