Closed Two essays one location

Alexis Rodes King

The Rodes are not easy to get on your side.
OOC First Name
Lexi
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Curly 12 1/2" Flexible Larch Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Alexis walked into the library determined. She had two essays to complete. One for History of Magic. One for Defence Against the Dark Arts. She was going to see if she could find that older boy Luxen later. Surely she could come up with a reasonable bargain for his help. She was going to do her work and ask for pointers. @Luxen Silverback II seemed to know their head of house. She wasn't sure yet if it was good or bad terms, but she was going to find out. First she needed information. She scanned through the bookshelves looking for the appropriate books.

Luxen had quite a few books of his own that he had read and was continuing to read despite the ever increasing work requirements of a second year. After his second Potion's lesson he had decided to work on his pasting skills using a few makeshift items he found around the common room but had found them to be useless as appropriate training tools. He would have to purchase some proper potioneer items the next time he had the chance. In the meantime he had gone to the library and was reading a book titled Wand Writing for beginners by Landon Writehaven and while he had picked up a few tips, it didn't seem like a skill he felt he would actually need to learn.

He was putting his book away when he noticed @Alexis King the only first year he'd met so far that he didn't want to instantly curse. She was looking over books though Luxen wasn't particularly sure why as he walked over towards her. "Don't you know, you have to be able to read in order for any of them to be of use" Luxen said with a smirk. He himself had spent a vast majority of his first year reading over different books from the library and had a good idea of where all of them were located. Looking at the shelves that she was particularly at, he found himself both amused and a bit curious. "Why are you looking for books on the different ways Dragon Dung can be used in gardening?" he found himself asking.

"Oh hush Luxen. I'm pretty sure you have to be invited to start talking." Alexis responded and spun on her heel to look at the books behind her. "If you really must know. I'm looking for stuff to help with my essays. I've never been to the library so I'm looking down each Isle. So in future I know where what is." She continued to scan the shelves and titles of the books with a slight frown. She didn't really care that she made up an excuse for being lost but it seemed reasonable. She didn't want to give @Luxen Silverback II more reason to pick on her. "What year are you by the way. Second or third? You're not that much older than me so one of them must be right."

Luxen smirked as he listened to her excuse and asked about what year he was in. He looked down at the book he was still holding and pulled out his wand. Using what he'd learned from the book he wrote out in the air 2nd Year though it looked more like smoke and dissipated into nothingness within two seconds of appearing. It had been legible and was a decent enough first attempt. "Guess you weren't a complete waste" Luxen said to the book as he tossed it slightly into the air and quickly said "Wingardium Leviosa" using his mind he directed the book back towards it's proper spot. He wasn't sure if it went exactly back into it's correct spot as he hadn't practiced levitating objects without looking at them directly much but knew he'd gotten it close enough.

It felt liberating to be able to properly use magic again now that he was back at school and an annoyance that he still had almost four years left before he'd be able to do it outside of school. His only luck was that he'd turn 17 in the December of his sixth year and would have more time to use magic outside of school than some of his other classmates. "What essays are you working on?" Luxen asked figuring he could practice his wand writing a bit more and assist the first year in her academic studies. He of course hadn't needed help in his essays but also knew not everyone was as naturally gifted in the intelligence department as he was.

Alexis slightly caught sight of what Luxen had done. She only saw a 2 disappear as soon as it appeared. "Defence Against Dark Arts is my main focus since I'm more interested in it. And I got History of Magic as well. That essay is pretty interesting as well. I always... Nevermind that." Alexis walked in the direction of another set of book shelves. Something had caught her attention with the book Luxen levitated.

Luxen listened to what was said and was annoyed as she walked away from him. "Excuse me" Luxen said perhaps a bit louder than he intended. It was rude for someone to begin a conversation only to walk off without so much as a simple farewell. Luxen had half a mind to fire a curse at the girl for her rudeness. It was a library, however and Luxen wasn't in the mood to ruin someone else chance to study just because @Alexis King wanted to be annoying. "I may have brewed a good forgetfulness potion but I know it's not good enough that my presence would have the same effect" Luxen scolded.

He quickly moved in front of her checking to see that nobody was immediately around as he pointed his wand at her. "What are you up to? To be honest I'm sick of rude little first years not showing the proper respect, perhaps I should show you first hand what I learned in Defense Against the Dark Arts and in History of Magic" Luxen said with a bit of coldness in his voice. He may not have actually had the intention of cursing the girl in the library but it didn't mean he couldn't threaten her all the same.

Alexis started to laugh at @Luxen Silverback II she made sure to put her hand over her mouth as not to make too much noise. Once her laughing fit was done she straightened herself up and addressed Luxen. "Silly boy. I knew you would follow me and I would like to continue looking for the right books I need. It would be easier if you just showed me where they are." She smirked at him. She didn't really get scared when threatened. Instead she always felt the need to challenge whoever it was. Getting Luxen angry was definitely amusing. "You're the one that calls me a wannabe Ravenclaw. So why would you think I'm just going to waste my time when I could be learning. Go ahead and hex me if you want. I'll be learning something at least." Alexis stood with her arms crossed as he was in her way and she wanted to see what would happen next. She thought about walking around him but decided against it. If he was going to do anything he might as well do it. She was getting somewhat impatient though.

Hexing the girl in the library was tempting as he still wanted to try the slug vomiting spell on someone besides his raven. She definitely would have deserved it as Luxen thought about the incantation and wand movement needed to make it work properly. It simply wouldn't work, the library staff would notice a girl spitting up slugs all over the place and it would definitely get back to him. He may have enjoyed practicing spells on people but it still wasn't a good idea to get in too much trouble so early in the year, especially when he was still working on details for a much bigger surprise.

Luxen slipped his wand into the sleeve of his robes "Still rude" he mumbled as he did so. He rolled his eyes as she asked him to show her which books she was looking for. "There are entire rows devoted to History of Magic and the Dark Arts, how about you be more specific on what your looking for and I can show you?" Luxen snapped back. She was honestly just as confusing and mixed headed as a House Elf.

"Interesting." Alexis said with a grin looking Luxen up and down. "My essay for History is on King Arthur and Midevil history. The Defence one is on the effects of Dark Arts on its user. I had no intention of being rude though." She added in the last part for his satisfaction. It wasn't really her fault he was so easy to rile up. She looked down at the floor chewing on her lip again. She was internally scolding herself before she looked at him. "Why are you interested in helping me? We have had one decent exchange and you don't seem to be the kind to help first years. 'little secondy'." She found it amusing to use a rephrased version of what he called her, but once she said it she regretted it. It sounded weird out loud and she pulled her face.

Luxen nodded as she listed the assignments she had "Aisles three and eight on the left side" Luxen said as he began walking towards the correct area for the books she would want. The only area of the library he didn't know quite well by this point was the restricted section though eventually he would know that part as well, he would just need to somehow gain a few teachers on his side. The first aisle contained books on different areas of history, though the one he found most useful in Alexis' case was a general knowledge of magical history. "The Professor is likely going to cover more than just Merlin if she follows the same curriculum as last year so this book will help you from having to keep coming and looking" He explained as he held the book out for her.

He thought about her question "The simple answer I guess is that I'm too nice" he said casually. It was probably not quite true but at the same time he did believe he was being too nice for not slapping her with the book after her little second year comment. Though the truth was something he'd heard over the summer when he'd ran into 'Silver' and had been cursed into a maze of his own mind. "being a loner get's you nowhere in life" was what the man had said and despite him mocking him, even Luxen had to admit there was truth in those words. He didn't like it but it was a fact that eventually he might need allies and making them now was better than not. Alexis simply had the benefit of not being the most annoying first year he'd met.

Alexis smiled and took the book from Luxen. "Thank you." She said simply and offered him another smile although it was a little more forced than the first one. "There's more to it than being nice." She let slip then looked down again. She didn't mean to say that only think it. She hoped he didn't hear her. It wasn't just a guess though. She knew on her end it wasn't just being nice. She had made a deal. Luxen was the closest she came to keeping up her end of it.

Luxen had heard her comment but didn't say a word as he moved away from aisle three and towards aisle eight. Several books floated by along with a couple other students, mostly first years wandering aimlessly around trying to find books they needed for classes. He found himself annoyed as a boy bumped into him and he quickly shoved him out of the way as he continued leading. Once he was in aisle eight he looked at the books Alexis would likely need. Most would have been adequate for the lesson he figured but there were a couple that would add more information. He stopped when he found the book he was looking for and pulled it out.

'Secrets of the Darkest Art' was a book that he had his own copy of and so he knew first hand that it would be useful in more than one way.
"See 'manners are very important'" Luxen said as he found himself pausing with his use of words. They were words Silver had used against him as he felt himself suddenly become quite hot. He was annoyed that the bastard had somehow gotten into his head and that he was even copying him. He didn't know if the man was his cousin but it did seem likely considering everything he did know about his family. "This book is useful" Luxen said to Alexis sharply.

"You're much kinder than I initially thought. It may just be towards me, but still counts." Alexis smiled at Luxen taking the book away from him. She didn't quite like his insinuation that she had no manners. She decided not to address it. She could tell by Luxen's expression that something wasn't right. And again decided not to mention her observation. "I might have one request for you though. You probably gathered I'm all about school and books. Would you mind resending over my essay when I'm done." She had turned to walk to a desk gesturing for him to follow her. As not to be rude again.

"Whatever" Luxen said while rolling his eyes as she mentioned that he was 'kinder than she thought. He wasn't interested in her thoughts as he still felt hot and had to wipe sweat from his forehead. He hated how weak he had been against Silver and wasn't going to allow that to happen again. Alexis spoke of another request to which Luxen simply smirked and followed. "Now we have a problem, just because your a charity case doesn't mean I work for free" Luxen said simply as he sat down at the desk and crossed his hands together. He was starting to cool down a little as he regained focus on solving a problem he'd been having.

"I do however have a proposition for you little firstie" Luxen said as he waited for the younger girl to sit down. "One that is honestly more beneficial for you than it is me, however like I said before, I am too nice" Luxen added quickly. He didn't really wait for her to speak since he didn't really care about what she had to say, at least not before he put his offer on the table. "I will help you with your little assignment today as a show of good faith and in the future. In return I want to be able to practice my hexes and curses on you, I'll even let you practice on me if you want" Luxen said. Practicing on the spider and his Raven was helpful but there was nothing like practicing on a live person.

"I've got strings and so do you. I've got strings on me." Alexis smirked after she did her little song. It was something she heard somewhere. She sat down knowing Luxen would ask for something in return for his help. She definitely wasn't a charity case though. She was more curious about Luxen's mind and how it worked. Not that she was going to tell him. 'Disecting' people's minds was a hobby she adapted to pass time. Luxen was no acception to that. "I knew you would have some other reason for helping me." Alexis smiled pulling out her parchment and quill. "Say I agree to this little deal, second gen, how are we not going to get in trouble for hexing each other?" Alexis' atempt was better this time. If Luxen wasn't going to call her by her name. She wasn't going to call him by his. So she decided to refer to him as second gen.

Luxen smirked at her words, he was curious as to how she would know of an old Muggle film but it really didn't matter to his overall plans and so he ignored it. "Well that would be where me being clever comes into play" Luxen said as he'd already given it much thought over the past few weeks. "We'd practice during times when the school is more preoccupied, say during Quidditch Matches, Brightstone trips, and dances for example" Luxen explained simply as he looked her over to gauge her possible reaction. That of course was only part of what they would need to do.

"The first spell I have been practicing that will require your help is Homenum Revelio, it's a spell that reveals if others are nearby. I figured we could go to one of the corridors during the next Quidditch match and play a little game of hide and seek until I've mastered it. Once it's perfected I can use it in between us practicing other spells to ensure nobody is around to catch us. I figure as long as we keep the curses and hexes to things that are not too dangerous we shouldn't need any medical attention" Luxen explained. They would need to take precautions of course but overall he believed the plan would work.

"If something goes too far we'll simply have a little house elf show up and take the other to Hospital Wing and pretend like someone jinx us from behind, it will likely be suspicious but as long as we stick to it. Nobody should get in trouble" Luxen finished as he waited for her response.

"interesting proposal." Alexis said as she wrote out another sentence. She wanted to make sure her work was acceptable. And honestly if she could say she was actually spending time with someone rather than keeping to herself it was a win. She glanced up at Luxen who seemed to be waiting for her to say something else. She shrugged her shoulders and dipped her quill in the ink again. "Alright." She finally said. "I'll accept on one condition. Stop calling me 'little firstie' you second gen. I have told you my name. There will be only two reasons I will allow you to call me that ridiculous nickname. One; if you can't get my attention after the first two attempts. Two; if I've pissed you off." She sat back and examined him before going back to her DADA essay.

Luxen was pleased that he had found a willing subject to test his spells on even if he had to accept her ridiculous condition. "Find the King, then during the Slytherin and Hufflepuff Quidditch match, we'll play 'Hide and Homenum Revelio', also you misspelled that word" Luxen said as his eyes were paying attention to what she was writing down. If she proved talented enough and after she learned how to properly use dueling magic, Luxen was confident he could find a way to practice dueling with her and sharpen his own skills.

He didn't want to run into Silver again and find himself unprepared, that had been his first mistake and it had nearly cost him his life. "Tell me though, what do you hope to achieve out of studying here?" Luxen asked figuring that he might as well get to know something more about the person he would be spending more time with. It would be important to learn as much of her secretes as possible to use as leverage if she ever decided to turn against him after all.

Alexis was no stranger to friendly tactics. She rewrote the word Luxen indicated checking the spelling two or three times. "Why is that of any interest to you?" Alexis asked in a bittersweet tone and chewed on her lip as she carried on writing. "I want to be able to use the magic I was born with. As simple as that." She answered. She didn't exactly know what field she liked best yet. So her afterschool plans were non existent. "What about you Silverback."

Luxen smirked at her comment, it was a simple one that didn't provide too much insight. "Rewrite that last sentence, it's coming out jumbled" Luxen said indicating the third one from the top of her work. He thought about how to answer her question and figured the truth was the best response in this case. "I plan on becoming the Minister for Magic one day and making the wizarding world a better place for humans born with magic" Luxen said ensuring that he put emphasis on the human part.

The idea of mixing magical blood with creatures disgusted him, it was likely why there were so many Werewolves running around. If it were up to him they would have their wands snapped the moment they became infected and sent to some remote island to spend the rest of their days. The only mercy or sympathy a Werewolf deserved was not be destroyed on the spot in his opinion.

Alexis looked up at Luxen and frowned. He had waited until she started the next paragraph to point out that 'mistake'. She read though the sentence again and tried rewriting it as best she could. "Take it you don't like the hybrids that live in the wizarding world." Alexis said. Thinking about her previous answer. "I suppose if I'm truly honest I don't know what I want to do yet. Using my magic is my number one priority. Why are you so persistent on training with a human subject?" She asked him although she wasn't expecting him to answer. It would be nice to know why she was going to be his test subject.

"hybrids? More like freaks and abominations" Luxen said coldly to her. "There's enough evidence to support that magic is strongest when it's kept in human blood only" Luxen added thinking on the books he'd read on the subject the previous year. It was an unpopular opinion he knew, but he felt that he was right in that regard. "It's important to set realistic goals for yourself, it motivates you to be better than what you currently are" Luxen said simply in regards to her comment about not knowing what she wanted to do when she graduated.

"It's simply, human subjects are the best to practice on since most spells will be used on other humans. If I can master it than any other creature will likely fall just as easily or perhaps even easier" Luxen answered. He was aware that some creatures had natural defenses against magic but it was of little regards. The fact was that humans were the most powerful and therefore the most dangerous, he'd experienced that first hand with Silver.

Alexis shrugged. If Luxen wanted to be vague then who was she to push. Everyone had their secrets. She didn't care much for using that stuff against people. Only reason she bothered asking was so they could be even. She didn't like people knowing more about her than she knew about them. "So this is a truce of some sort. Or are you more likely to call me a companion?" The question may have been odd but she didn't want to get caught in a lie when it came to her godfather. His words struck in her mind like a bell. "Alexis this is ridiculous. You cannot keep causing trouble for people who are supposed to be your friends. You're going to Hogwarts and if you do not make a friend by the end of the year you will be sent to a Muggle school and never learn how to use your magic." Alexis scrunched her nose at the thought and continued writing. She didn't believe she needed connections with anyone. Luxen was a better choice than most people she'd met. Her dorm mates were irritating and she hardly spoke to anyone else. If she wanted to stay she needed a 'friend' who better than a second year. He can teach her stuff ahead of classes. The sooner she learnt the better then she would have leverage for herself. "I'd much rather if any asked we say we're friends. But it doesn't have to be the truth." She added just for clearance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back