Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual (Rory)
Wand
Knotted 13 1/2 Inch Sturdy Alder Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
"Hello class! I'm sorry to tell you this, but I will be lecturing you once again today." Several groans followed this announcement. Octavia gave them a sympathetic smile. "Do you remember when I spoke of how doing your assignments could earn you the privilege of taking trips? Well, today's essay will be something you should really do." She winked at the students, hoping they'd get the hint. "Today I am going to lecture about Stonehenge, and discuss the possibilities regarding its creation. Is everyone ready to take notes?" She waited for a moment to ensure that they were.

"There are many theories on how Stonehenge was created. Some of them could be real; some of them could be created by over-imaginative elders, passed down through the years. We do not know exactly who created Stonehenge, or how, but I will tell you some of the more popular theories." This was a subject full of interesting speculation, and the woman hoped the popular theories would let the student create their own. She was convinced some of them would.

"One ancient belief is that there were several giants who stood in a circle and danced. During their dance they were transfigured into stone, trapping them there forever." Octavia only gave brief outlines of the ideas as she was curious to find out if the students would fill in the blanks themselves. "Another popular belief is that giants carried the stones from the farthest reaches of Africa, taking them all the way to England. Some say that the stones had magical healing powers. Another belief is that Merlin waved his wand and 'carried' the stones via hovering all the way from a mountain in Ireland to their current setting of Stonehenge, arranged them, and left them to their final resting place."

Octavia briefly glanced around the class. This was the last one, so she hoped everyone was caught up, because it was also the longest. If they weren't they just had to come to her or one of their classmates for missing notes. "And finally, one of the darker beliefs of Stonehenge is that the Devil himself put the stones where they are. It is said that the mysterious stones were growing in the backyard of an old woman in Ireland. When the Devil heard about the stones, he wanted them for himself. The Devil disguised himself as human and made his way to the woman's house. With payment of a very large bag filled with gold she excitedly agreed to sell the Devil the stones from her back yard. She only agreed because she knew it would take the man forever to move the stones, ensuring she would still maintain ownership of them for years to come." Octavia suspected the students were wondering why the stones were so fascinating to people, and she admitted that she had wondered herself when she first listened to the story. "The Devil, of course, had a trick up his own sleeve and already spirited them away to the Salisbury Plain, which is where they are today."

Professor Pourroulis paused to take a breath and to make sure that the students were still taking notes. "Well, I think I have lectured to you enough for today. Now on to homework." She smiled again at the students. "Don't worry this will be easy - and fun, I hope. All I would like for you to do is write an essay on a theory of your own on how Stonehenge was created. If you can't think of one, then please tell me which one of these theories you think is most believable and write why you think that one is the best. There is no minimum or limit to the word count, just write as you see fit. Class dismissed."

Full Marks: RP the lesson
Extra Credit (optional): Essay

Nicole Fisk

🌸Just Your Average Witch🌸

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Wand
Curly 10 1/2 Inch Flexible Willow Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Trophy Showcase:
Valentine's had been a bust, and Nicole was feeling a bit mopey as she took her seat in History. There would be no trip today either, which made Nicole huff, dropping her chin into her palm and grabbing her quill as Professor Pourroulis started another lecture. Today's lecture covered Stonehenge, but Nicole wasn't really feeling very interested in a bunch of rocks, especially when no one knew how'd they'd gotten up there. Like most things, Nicole just assumed they'd used magic, since wizards back in the olden days didn't seem to care much about secrecy before the witch trials. She imagined it seemed less likely giants were involved, seeing how dumb she'd heard they could be, and figured olden wizards had done it for some sort of astronomy thing maybe. But Nicole still took some notes as the lecture went on, knowing it would be important to write a good essay if they wanted any trips this year. As the lesson wrapped up, Nicole tried to finalize her own theory about magic moving the stones for her essay, packing her bag to head out of the room.

Chloe Thompson

☆ ½ French ☆ Astrophile ☆ Chaser ☆ Bubbly

OOC First Name
Marijke
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Wand
Curly 14 1/2 Inch Flexible Larch Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Chloë felt like the weeks were going by quickly, even if they were only on week three. This time around she felt like it was a good thing though, because even though they had just started she was already looking forward to the break. She tried not to sigh when the professor told them they'd be getting another lecture, the promise of travel still on her mind. Today's lecture wasn't the most interesting one as they were discussing the history of literal rocks, last week's had definitely been better. Nevertheless, she managed to keep up with the professor a bit better than last week, scribbling along as she continued to discuss theories about how the rocks had gotten where they were. Once they were dismissed Chloë packed up her things and let her mind run through different theory ideas as she left the room.

Connor Holland

🌼aussie🌼kind🌼sensitive🌼 eric's brother

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Gay
Trophy Showcase:
With Valentines over, it was beginning to hit Connor just how quickly this year was going. His first year had dragged on for what felt like forever, and his second hadn't been much different. But this year... everything felt much quicker, and he found himself trying desperately not to think about the exams at the end of the year. It all felt much too soon, and then he would be a fourth year, a thought that made him feel much too old.

For now though, he still had plenty of third year to get through, and that included lessons. History of Magic was... Connor's most reliable class, he liked to think. It was nice to just... go to a lecture, learn some interesting things from the past, and go home. So he settled in and took notes as Professor Pourroulis spoke, trying not to think about her comment about field trips. It was exciting to travel, but also quite scary, and Connor definitely preferred to stay at school and learn from lectures. Stonehenge was a fascinating subject, and Connor made sure he took plenty of notes as the professor spoke, jotting down the homework assignment at the end of class. He was excited to learn more, and thought he might head to the library for a bit after dinner to work on his assignment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)