Cameron Kingsley

Former Minister for Magic

OOC First Name
Kait
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Cameron Kingsley hadn't known what to make of the note from Carter. He had requested that they join him at Kiera's home to give them things Kiera had wished to pass on to them. Cameron still wasn't feeling in the mood to talk to Carter, but he had decided to go for Kiera. It had been six months since his sister died, but the pain was fresh as he stood on the porch to knock on the door. The house had strong wards around it. The very best ones in fact, but Cameron and Cyndi were recognized as family. The Minister looked at his wife, squeezing her hand tightly. "You can do this." he said, encouraging her, and himself. He raised his hand and knocked on the door firmly.

Cyndi Kingsley didn't want to be here doing this, and she was in a horrid mood because of it. She grimaced as her husband squeezed her hand, his tone encouraging. Cameron had always been a source of strength for her, but he was just too close to this and she'd found herself dealing with her feelings more and more on her own. The woman didn't understand why Carter couldn't simply owl them whatever it was that Kiera had left for them. There was absolutely nothing that she could get that would make any of this easier to deal with, but she had only put up a small fight when Cam had mentioned it. Six months felt both like such a short amount of time and the largest stretch ever. She had no idea how he was feeling, though he'd been absent even more than usual, his hours longer and more frequently digging into family time as his final year dragged on. "Let's hope we make it through this without someone getting punched" she sighed. Tensions would certainly be high and Carter had a way of getting under the Kingsleys' skins even before this.

Carter was still trying to forget what he'd learned at the hospital. He wanted to believe that Kiera wouldn't choose this and whenever he relived the moment, he grew angrier until he had to take himself to bed to keep his mood from darkening. He loved Kiera, by Merlin he did and he always will. But knowing what he did and having to keep it to himself was difficult. He wanted only to talk to someone, anyone, about his feelings, but there existed no one on the planet left for him to turn to, no one, at least, that he knew would fully understand. He was stuck between the need to blame himself and his reaching for Kiera, but neither made him feel better about himself. He was alerted to the presence of his... could he even call them his in-laws any more. Tensions had been at an all-time high since Kiera's passing and they were never his family, they were hers. He had once thought that Cameron was like a brother to him, despite being his boss, but he'd seen the relationship quickly sour that night. He wasn't sure how he was perceived anymore. He headed to the door and swung it open, sliding his carefully sculpted mask into place. He'd spent many weeks working on his public image and though this had once been his family, he knew they did not see him as such any longer. "Come in, we're in the living room." Carter turned and headed ahead of them, moving immediately to the cribs. They'd already been a part of such tragedy at their age. Carter didn't think he could ever lose them.

As Carter opened the door and greeted them, the Minister frowned slightly. He wasn't sure who Carter meant when he said "we". He thought that the kids were all out of the house today. Cameron glanced at Cyndi before making his way into the living room where he saw the two cribs. The children. Right. Cameron hadn't had much to do with Kiera's youngest children, mostly because he wasn't exactly on good terms with their father. There had been words between them when Carter had called them to the hospital after Kiera's death.

The Minister looked around the room as he took a seat across the room from Carter. It was odd how nothing inside the room had really changed, but it felt less bright without her presence in the room. Cameron cleared his throat. "Why are we here, Carter? What did Kiera want us to have?" he asked.

Cyndi took Carter in for the brief moment that he was facing them. It was odd to be here again knowing that nearly everything would look the same in spite of everything being so irreversibly different. Cyndi was glad for the comfort that came from holding Cameron's hand. His strength was her strength right now and she settled next to Cameron, across from the man whom she blamed for the death of her best friend. She knew it wasn't fair, but there it was. She couldn't look at him and feel the sympathy she was supposed to. Not right now anyway. It was a shame too because she wanted nothing more than to hold the twins and see a piece of Kiera as she did whenever she saw Jemma, Lyra, or Link. But this was the first time she'd seen them since the funeral. Cyndi remained silent, waiting for Carter to answer her husband's question.

Carter looked down at his infants as the Kingsleys came into the room. He knew he had invited them here fo a reason, but it didn't make facing his former in-laws any easier. The overwhelming sense of guilt and grief he felt with their judgemental eyes on him was almost too much for him to bear. The tension in the room was palpable, so it didn't surprise him in the least when Cameron wanted to get straight to business. He motioned to the furniture in the room, asking them to take a seat. He doubted this would be a quick conversation. "I asked you here because Kiera wrote several letters before her death." he said, quietly, his voice getting tighter as he said his wife's name aloud. "It seems...she wrote several letters to people closest to her. Jemma, Lyra, Link, myself, and the two of you. Even the babies have letters." Carter said tightly, still feeling like it was a cruel joke that Kiera was not here with them. He hadn't opened his letter yet. He wasn't strong enough yet. He had to keep going for Kamryn and Kingsley. Silently, Carter picked up two sealed envelopes off of the table, handing one to Cyndi and one to Cameron.

Big brother,
You have always been my protector. Even when I didn’t want you to be. You have always been there for me when I needed you, and I love you so much for that. I need you to know that I made the decision to have these children even though I knew it would cost me my life. I know it’s going to be difficult for you to understand why I did what I did, and you will be looking for someone to blame. Blame me. Not Carter. He didn’t do this. It was my secret because I knew you all would have tried to stop me. Carter will need you. My kids will need you. Don’t isolate yourself from them. I’m counting on you, always and forever.

Your favorite sister,
Kiera
Dear Cyndi,
You have seen me through some of my darkest times, and I would be remiss if I didn’t tell you how much your support and love has meant to me for the last twenty five years. Thank you for standing by my side always. Thank you for loving my brother. Please help him. You have always been the light to keep him steady. Thank you for loving my children as your own. Please watch over them. You are my closest friend, and you were my sister long before you married my brother. I thought about confiding in you so many times that I lost count, but I could never bring myself to burden you with that type of secret. I know this will be difficult for you, especially after what happened with Andromeda, but you are the closest thing my children have to a mother now. I trust you to help them understand and move on. Jemma will need you now more than ever. She is still so young, and she has lost both of her parents. Please help my Carter. I know your reaction will be to blame him, but don’t. He’s going to need your help to raise Kingsley and Kamryn. If you want to blame someone, blame me. I am so sorry.

I will always love my dorm room four girls,
Kiera

Cameron wasn't prepared for Carter's answer. He had imagined something along the lines of an item left for him from a will, not a personal letter that would be the last thing his sister ever said to him. The man took his letter from Carter without a word. He held it in his hand, trying to decide if he wanted to read it here and now or wait until he was alone. Instead of making a decision, he looked to Cyndi. He would follow her lead. She was his strength, and he would need her when he read this letter. He squeezed her hand lightly, waiting to see what she would do.

They'd found out a number of things in the days after Kiera's death, so when Carter mentioned that she had written letters, the hitch of Cyndi's breath wasn't in surprise. Of course that was something Kiera would want to do. Cyndi just wasn't sure she could handle it, and once she had the letter in hand, she knew she couldn't. The letters forming her name were unmistakably in Kiera's writing, and her finger traced the letter which she'd placed on her lap. The near silence in the room was palpable, the only noise coming from the two six month olds in the room. She could feel Cameron's eyes on her and she lifted her gaze slightly, then gave him a small shake of her head. For now, simply seeing her name in Kiera's writing was enough. She didnt think she could handle much more, especially not in front of Carter. "Thank you" she said after clearing her throat. "Is there anything else?" she asked, her brown eyes lifting to finally meet Carter's gaze.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back