OOC First Name
Nick
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Wand
Curly Oak/Wenge 16" Essence of Feng-huang Tail Feather
HNZ is, primarily, a roleplaying site. It even says so in our site documentation! That said, for some time now our shopping system on the site has discouraged roleplaying. While it's been nice to have one-click-and-you're-done shopping (all year 'round for students, too) it has made shops dreadfully inactive and made shopkeeper characters not very sought after, by and large.

We've known this needed fixing, but it's taken some time to get it right. We hope, with this update, we have. (Though we're cognizant, as with all changes, we'll be tweaking it along the way.)

</SIZE>
<SIZE size="150">HNZ Shops 3.0
<i>
</i>

We're going back to roleplaying!
Starting with the Brightstone weekend this weekend all shops will be upgraded to a new shopping system. To buy items, you'll start a roleplay and, when creating that topic, you'll be able to select items from the shop's inventory and have them added to your basket in your post (as many items as your character is buying from that shop, all in one RP). You'll roleplay with the shopkeeper or shop assistant and, when you're all done, they'll click a special button inside the roleplay to complete the sale (much like our professors do to quickly grade all of your lessons), which deducts the galleons and puts the items in your inventory!

Shopkeeper accounts that are affected by this change have received a notification inviting them to the new system in advance, so they can tidy up their shops in preparation for this change and make sure everything's in order - but even this will take time, so when the full remake launches, please be patient with any shops that don't look quite as neat as others might.

But this isn't just an update to how we shop, there are a few other important tweaks that make shopping more fun for everybody:[ul][li]Shop Assistants
Shopkeepers have often hired assistants - now shopkeepers can promote them from their shop's control panel. Assistants have the ability to complete sales within the shop they work at (but can only work at one shop at a time).
[ul][li]Getting Paid
Assistants have also often not been paid in the past. This changes now - assistants automatically receive a commission on each sale they close (starting at 10% of the sale). Each shopkeeper can set how much they'd like to give their assistants in commission, however, so some shops may offer 25%! Who knows!
[li]& sweet, sweet, discounts
Each shopkeeper can also implement an employee discount for their shop - any purchases an assistant makes at a shop they work at will automatically be discounted at whatever rate the shopkeeper chooses![/li][/ul][li]Haggling
10½ years ago, when I joined HNZ, haggling at shops was the best. It made shopping RPs fun and worthwhile - this is possible again! Shopkeepers can set a maximum discount that their employees can offer to customers, then the sales assistants can decide on a RP-by-RP basis how much to offer off each sale. (Shopkeepers can also add a 'policy note' which might instruct shop assistants in when/how to apply this discretionary discount.)</LI>
[li]Item Categories!
Shops can be a mess - but, hopefully, they'll get a little bit more tidy now. Shopkeepers can now categorize the items in their shop to make them more organized and easier for RPers to sift through as they're going about their work.
Quality Quidditch Supplies, for example, might put the Brooms in one category, Quidditch requirements in another, and fan's supplies in still another.[/li][/ul]
I know this likely raises some question for some of you, too, so here are some quick FAQ:[ul][li]Does this mean I can only buy things for my student during Brightstone trips or holiday breaks?
Yes! Just like being a student!
[li]But what about required class supplies?!
The gradebook has been tweaked so you can see all required items for classes before the school year begins again, giving you ample opportunity to complete those roleplays!
[li]But what if an area closes before my RP finishes?!
Since you've likely set what you want to buy in the first post, whoever is helping you in the sale can close it at any time - even if the RP isn't quite done - to make sure you get your items. Shopkeepers can go through at the end of each busy season to ensure all sales are processed.
[li]Can we just keep the old way, too? I like one-click shopping! Amazon loves me, too!
'fraid not.
In fact, while I was mostly clever enough to make this new system along side the old, one tweak I made broke shopkeeper's ability to update shop items in the old system! So they don't function alongside each other very well anymore, anyway!
<LI>[li]Ok, but what about my characters who aren't from/in New Zealand? It doesn't make sense for them to RP going to NZ shops!
Well, our shopping system has always been NZ shops, and the galleons have always gone to NZ shopkeepers - the focus of the site is New Zealand, after all, and so the neat things focus on New Zealand, too! If you really want a certain item in a non-NZ character's inventory, we're confident you'll be creative in figuring out why they went to NZ for it - or you can just RP like they have it because they bought it somewhere else - as always! :tut:[/li][/ul]

We really hope you enjoy this update, and that we see a lot more activity in shops. Because of the nature of these RPs, they really shouldn't be giant essays all the time, but rather utilitarian and economical in their lengths. Shopkeepers will have lots of sales on their hands, and you'll want to get your items quick - so why not keep things to the point?

As always, if you have any other questions or concerns, we'd be happy to answer them. You'll get your first look at the system in full swing in the coming days, when it goes live for sales for the Brightstone weekend. It will take us a little bit of time to update our site documentation to match this change.

Get your shopping baskets ready!

-Nick
(On behalf of the HNZ Admin Team)

I think I love this? I'm not sure how I feel because change is always such a big thing, but I'm looking forward to playing around with the new shop system. It'll definitely give assistants more purpose
And now I know why all my shops were broken :p

I'm so excited!! I've always loved using the shop system to add things to my inventory, so it'll take some getting used to the new style, but I welcome more rps so I'm excited!! ^_^

Emmetts going to be rich come the next Ollivanders rush :r

Omg yay! I love this! What a fantastic upgrade :wub:

Oh this is going to be amazing :D

Thank you!!

Wow, this is amazing!! Thank you Nick :D I just bought a bunch of items a couple days ago and I'm sad that I won't be able to RP buying them instead xD (yeah, I know I could have anyway, but with the ease of the system I sort of forgot)

But I can't wait to use it next time!

The control panel looks so cool aaahhh I'm already having so much fun and all I've done is set discount prices

Professor Katherine Alicastell said:
Emmetts going to be rich come the next Ollivanders rush :r
Is why Ollivander's has limits other shops don't have. :tut:
But ya, this also makes certain jobs more sought after than others.

Okay so I do have one question.

Does the first year supplies bundle after sorting still remain, or do we have to rp buying all of those?

Maise Verdereau said:
Does the first year supplies bundle after sorting still remain, or do we have to rp buying all of those?
Right now, the supply bundle still exists with no plan to remove it.
If it were going to be removed, I think it would have made the most sense to do it under the old system (when there was nothing prevented a student from buying items whenever they wanted) - but we'll see how things go with the change and maybe decide in the future that first years should have more reasons to RP in shops!

I wish I wasn't about to sleep because I now really want to work on my shop :cry:

Awesome update! I love how much more active this will make shops :D

My initial reaction was admittedly one of disgust, but I am not too proud to admit that I might have reacted too hastily xD

I love this! I feel like it adds a lot of potential to the shops, and gives me ideas for my next in-store event :) My only concern is not being able to buy required school supplies once holiday areas close... I usually don't even look at signing up for classes until the first week because I like to focus on my new first years getting their wands and holiday plots in general while those areas are open, it's going to substantially increase the amount of work that time of year, both for student characters and shopkeepers who sell school supplies. I'm really excited to have more to do in the store though, and I love staff getting their commissions on sales and the general vibe of more roleplay happening in shops :)

Disgust is a strong word. :p Glad you're giving the update a chance. :)

Amy Ward said:
I wish I wasn't about to sleep because I now really want to work on my shop :cry:

Awesome update! I love how much more active this will make shops :D
Sleep is for the weak! How it will influence shop activity remains to be seen, and some shops may still have to be cut, but this can't hurt as much as the last change did!
Ruby Folsom said:
My only concern is not being able to buy required school supplies once holiday areas close... I usually don't even look at signing up for classes until the first week because I like to focus on my new first years getting their wands and holiday plots in general while those areas are open, it's going to substantially increase the amount of work that time of year, both for student characters and shopkeepers who sell school supplies.
Professors always have the ability to enrol a student into their class, even if you don't have the required supplies yet - so you can just contact the professor with a promise to get it as soon as possible.
You can also keep your shopping RPs tight - like RP getting your stuff and walking right up to the counter! (Should be closed in 2 replies, in that case.)

Professor Cyndi Kingsley said:
Disgust is a strong word. :p Glad you're giving the update a chance. :)
It was more disgust at realising I now have 200+ characters that need to buy things xD

I think it will make things more active, or at least I hope so :D I didn't know any shops were in consideration of being cut though :o

This must have been a lot of work, so thank you! It's a really cool thing that I will mess around with after I sleep like the weakling I am :p

Amy Ward said:
I think it will make things more active, or at least I hope so :D I didn't know any shops were in consideration of being cut though :o
Yep, over the past while we've cut a few shops that had no activity for years. If people aren't using forums, there's no need to keep them around. But with this, we are hoping all shops will see at least some activity, if only to keep them from being put on the chopping block. :p

I'm so excited about this update! It really is awesome guys!

I like this a lot.

Now I want to run a shop again now that I'm active and it'll be active. :p

giphy.webp

This is great!! I miss shopping rps.

This is interesting and I am intrigued to see how it will change the shopping system as we know it. It will definitely be good to have more roleplays in stores that are purchase focused, and for shop assistants to have more of a role in the stores where they work :D

This is amazing! Thanks for this! Really cool how you come up with all of this stuff. I think it is great fun to be a shop owner. Never really thought of t though. I think for clothes Evelyn will shop till she drops so be ready :p

Sounds promising!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back