Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Knotted 9 Inch Rigid Laurel Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Meet me in the Astronomy tower, 8pm. No explanation - Mervyn didn't need one, as far as Leda's requests were concerned. Twilight had fallen over an hour ago, and now the sky was black and bristled with stars. Mervyn emerged in the tower, winded from his climb, and wandered over to the railing, letting the cool, dry breeze tickle his face. It was a little chillier than he'd anticipated, but with only five minutes til eight o'clock, he had no chance of fetching a jumper and making it back before Leda arrived. So he leaned on the railing instead, gazing out across the still grounds and wondering idly what Leda wanted to meet him here for.

Godmod approved

Sapphire made her way up to the astronomy tower, as per Onyx's request. It wasn't that hard of a trip for her; she was up there all the time anyway. She hummed to herself as she took the stairs, and it was just after eight when she made it to the top. She saw no reason to be early- her brother couldn't have anything important he wanted.

She walked out the door, not immediately recognizing the dark silhouette that was leaning on the railing. "Alright, I don't know what you want or why I had to dress up, but this is the best you're-" She started, heading for Onyx as she shifted the vest on her torso. She stopped a few feet away though, her voice trailing off and her face turning red as she registered who was standing there. After a heartbeat, she blurted out, "You aren't my brother."

Hearing a voice that wasn't Leda's, Mervyn turned around, squinting into the darkness to try to make out the face of the girl walking toward him. As she stepped into the moonlight, his eyes widened. "Fank Merlin," he said, with a lop-sided grin. Then he frowned. "'Ang about - you ain't Leda. Wot are you doin' up 'ere?" And why on had she been told to 'dress up'? Not that Mervyn was complaining; she did look lovely, her black hair silky in the muted silver light. Realising he was staring, the Gryffindor blinked a few times. "I'm meant to be meetin' Leda at eight."

Sapphire's heart pounded in her chest- what was she supposed to do? Did she leave? She didn't want to embarrass herself again, make Mervyn think she was even more of an idiot. But she also didn't want to go. She pinched the bridge of her nose when Mervyn said he was supposed to be meeting Leda here at 8. "Right... and I'm meeting my brother here at 8." She let out a small sigh. "I'm going to kill him..." She muttered darkly, before looking up apologetically.

"Uh, Mervyn, I think we've been set up. I, uh..." She pointed her thumb over her shoulder. "I can go, uh, if you want. Heh," She could feel herself blushing, hoping that he'd want to stay and talk anyway, while also hoping he wouldn't. She bit her lip nervously while she waited for him to respond.

Mervyn felt his cheeks heat up as the realisation began to dawn on him. They'd been set up. By Leda and... Sapphire's brother? What could he possibly have wanted to set them up for? Mervyn didn't even know him! "Wot? No!" he said quickly, looking crestfallen. All right, so Leda had set him up - for what purpose, he had no idea - but now that they were here, Mervyn wasn't going to turn down the opportunity to spend some time alone with Sapphire. He looked softly at her, tilting his head. "I mean, it ain't that bad - right?" A trace of a smile tugged at his lips. He turned to look back out at the stars, afraid Sapphire might see his blush despite the darkness. "Come an' 'ave a look at this. Ain't a cloud in the 'ole sky. Bet you can see about an 'undred miles. Wot do you fink?"

Sapphire couldn't deny the relief that coursed through her at Mervyn's quick response, actually smiling a little at how he looked a little crestfallen. Was it because she wasn't Leda or was it because he wanted to spend time with her? She decided that either way she'd enjoy it while she could. He tilted his head at her, smiling softly. She brushed her hair back behind her ear. "Y-yeah, I mean, no, it's not bad." She bit her lip again, frustrated at how she was having issues talking.

He turned back to look at the stars, and Sapph smiled as he invited her to look at the sights. She walked over and leaned against the railing, trying to relax. "I know," She responded softly. "It's beautiful, isn't it? I come up here a few times a week," She told him, feeling a bit more comfortable as she took in the familiar sights.

Was it just Mervyn, or was Sapphire nervous? Perhaps she'd wanted him to say she could leave. Perhaps he was making her uncomfortable. He tried not to think about it too much as she came to stand beside him. Warmth seemed to radiate from her; it made Mervyn shiver, for some converse reason. "Yeah," Mervyn said, quietly. He was almost envious to think that Sapphire had been up here so many times - and sad to think he'd wasted so many opportunities to be with her. Leaning on the rail, he let the silence soak through him for a moment. Then he asked, "Why'd your bruvver set you up? 'E don't even know 'oo I am, do 'e?"

Sapph was both oddly comfortable and strangely nervous. Being here with Mervyn threw her off a bit, but not in a bad way. She liked the way it felt to have him up here with her. She was a little unsure what to say to him, wanting to make a good impression. She had never tried so hard to make sure someone liked her before, especially when part of her was sure she was failing miserably.

Mervyn asked why her brother set her up then, and it caught her off guard enough that she spoke honestly. "I'm not really good with people," She admitted, her voice soft and unsure. "And there aren't very many people who even bother knowing my name. But... it's different with you. I'm different with you. I think he sees that."

She realized almost instantly what she said, and she ducked her head in embarrassment, rubbing the back of her neck. "I... sorry, I never think, I just sorta do and end up surprised as everyone else," She glanced up at Mervyn, sure he was going to think she was weird.

Mervyn was physically shaking. He'd never felt so simultaneously excited and scared in his entire life, and suddenly the Astronomy tower seemed three times higher, his stomach feeling the drop as if he were falling in spite of his feet planted firmly on the floor. His smile quivered nervously as Sapphire explained how she felt around him. Different. He could relate to that. It was a peculiar kind of feeling, pleasant and unpleasant at the same time, exhilerating and nauseating. And Sapphire felt it too. Or at least, she felt something. Something different. He grinned, running a hand through his hair. Suddenly he wished he'd known he was meeting Sapphire tonight, so that he could have made a bit more of an effort. Was his hair OK? Was his shirt buttoned up properly? Could she see him sweating a bit? "N-nah!" he said. "I get it - like - nah - I mean, I feel kind o' the same way." He laughed off his nerves, looking away. "Sorry. Ain't really done this before. So - you come up 'ere a lot, do you? I like Astronomy, but I isn't very good at it. I like the stars - they're pre'y, and all that - but I can't tell 'em apart, or see any of the constellations, or nuffink." Mervyn was rambling, and lying (he'd never liked Astronomy), but he was desperate to move the conversation back to something within his comfort zone.

Sapphire let out a laugh- both nervous and relieved. So he didn't quite think she was crazy- yet. But she needed to be more careful or he would. Relax, you git. She listened to Mervyn finish talking before she spoke. "Nah, I never really cared for Astronomy. It's just quiet up here. Peaceful." She bit her lip, thinking a moment, before pushing off the railing and taking a few steps back. "Hey, can I show you something?" She asked, brushing her hair out of her eyes.

Mervyn really had to stop lying about what he knew, or liked - twice now it had immediately come back to haunt him. He watched as Sapphire moved back from the rail, turning around to face her. "Um... yeah, sure," he said, anxiety edging into his tone. What could she possibly want to show him up here?

Sapph smiled brightly and nudged him playfully. "It's alright," She told him, sapphire eyes sparkling. "I promise I don't bite. C'mon." She went over to a nearby box and hopped on top, using the leverage to climb up onto the roof. She turned and bent down, holding her hand out to Mervyn. "You should see this," She told him, relaxing a bit. She didn't need to worry so much right now. She was with good company, and she meant to enjoy it before he got bored of her.

Mervyn couldn't believe what he was seeing. "Wot? You's 'avin a laugh," he said, making no move to take Sapphire's hand. Undoubtedly the tower was covered in protective spells, but that didn't mean Mervyn was willingly getting up on the roof. "Nah - it's too 'igh. I'm awrigh' down here, fanks. You go ahead, though - just let me know what kind o' flowers you want at yer funeral." He grinned, folding his arms.

Sapph laughed and sat down, legs dangling over the edge. "I like lillies, thank you. Come on, Mervyn." She prodded gently, her lips forming into a slight pout. "Pretty please? I promise I won't drop you." She held out her hand again. "At least come sit with me. Don't you trust me?" She gave him her best puppy dog eyes.

Mervyn glanced between Sapphire and the Astronomy tower steps, wondering what would happen if a professor caught them on the roof. He really, really didn't want to go up there, but what would Sapphire think of him if he refused? That he was a coward? He wasn't exactly scared of falling - he liked flying on a broom, after all - but it hadn't been so long since he'd gotten into trouble with Professor Layton, and thinking about the way she'd shouted still made him shrink in shame and fear. "Course I do, but it's dangerous," he tried to reason, even though it probably wasn't. He unfolded his arms, looking pleadingly at Sapphire. "Can't we just talk down 'ere?"

Sapph laughed and gave Mervyn a warm smile. She kinda liked that he didn't just give in. "Alright," she conceeded. "Help me down?" She asked, her hand still extended. She could get down on her own, but... Since getting the idea in her head, she just really wanted Mervyn to hold her hand, even if just to help her down.

Mervyn grinned, visibly relieved as he offered Sapphire his hand. It crossed his mind that she might be trying to trick him and somehow drag him up there, but he relaxed when he realised she'd have had a job. He might have been small for his age, but she was smaller - and though she'd proved she could take him down in a fight, that was with her feet on the ground. "Sorry - me 'and's a bit sweaty," he said ruefully, hoping this wouldn't make it harder to grip onto.

Sapphire laughed, her heart beating wildly in her chest. "That's alright," She told him warmly, leaning forward and placing her hand in his. She glanced down at the ground, biting her lip and judging the distance of the jump. She was nervous, and a little worried he might see it in her face. Just touching him made her heart dance wildly in her chest. She wondered idly if it would have the same affect on him.

What was she waiting for? Mervyn's palm was getting clammier by the second, his heart doing hurdles in his chest. "Come on, me arm's achin," he said, desperate to let go already so that he could dry his hand. No doubt Sapphire thought he was disgusting - and after what she'd seen in the great hall not long ago, he didn't really need to worsen her opinion of him.

Sapph looked back up at Mervyn, a bit startled. Bloody Hell of course you're messing it up. There's no way he's freaking out about the hand holding. Sapph scolded herself and slid off the roof quickly, not wanting to make it any worse.

Which, of course, is exactly what she did. She rushed too quickly, landing wrong. She stumbled forward, bumbling right into him. With a small squeak, she managed to stop herself... by grabbing onto Mervyn's shoulders. Bright red, she lifted her face from his chest slowly to look up at him with big eyes. She'd done it now- he was going to push her away and storm off, she knew it.

"Mervyn?" She asked softly, her heart hammering in her chest.

One second Sapphire was on the roof, the next, falling straight onto Mervyn, who instinctively grabbed her, steadying himself so that they didn't both hit the floor together. His chest rose and fell wildly, that vast, infinite sky constricting around them until the only learn he could see was that which shone through Sapphire's eyes. He was paralysed, giddy, overwhelmed with what felt like fear, except that it didn't make him want to run away. Closing his eyes, he pressed a kiss into her lips. No sooner had they touched than Mervyn drew his face back, startled by himself. "Sorry - I don't know why I did that," he said, slipping accidentally into a soft, melodic Welsh lilt. As soon as he realised what he'd done, he let Sapphire go, shrugging awkwardly away from her and moving back over to the railing. Now he'd really gone and messed things up. Why on earth had he kissed her?!

Sapph stood there a moment, frozen in place. She was looking up at Mervyn, scared he was going to push her away, and then... She watched him walk off, bringing a hand up to touch her lips softly. Had she imagined that? It had been over in an instant, and she worried he regretted it.

What moved her, finally, was when he spoke. He sounded completely different, but not in a bad way. She wondered why he didn't talk like that all the time, but then she would miss the way he talked now. She was torn, because both fit him so well.

She went over and placed her hand lightly on Mervyn's arm. "Hey," she said softly, trying to make him look at her.

Mervyn hadn't meant to break away from Sapphire so abruptly after such an intense moment, but he was embarrassed, and scared. Scared of having to explain himself. Scared of what she would think. He looked down over the rail, cursing Leda and Sapphire's brother for setting them up like this. The Slytherin's touch on his arm made him jump slightly. He looked up, wondering whether he could trust her. He'd not even told Leda. "I don't fake my accent," he said, remaining with the Welsh for the time being. "I've used it for so long - it's natural, like." He sighed, looking down again. "I lived in Wales 'til I was eight. When I moved to East London, the other kids bullied me. I don't know why I'm telling you this. Anyway, I 'ad to change it, to speak more like them, to make them leave me alone. I know I could have stopped when I came 'ere, but it makes me feel... tougher. Please don't tell anyone. I'm not lying; I really don't 'ave to fake it. Actually, this feels kind of weird. Talking like this. I 'ave to think about it much more." Mervyn searched Sapphire's face. "You're not angry, are you?"

Sapph listened quietly, as Mervyn told her the truth. She could tell he was nervous about telling her. Once he had finished speaking, she gave him a warm smile. "Mad? Nah," She reached over and ran her fingers lightly down the side of his face.

"I still think you're perfectly charming. Either way," she blushed a little, and before she could think she leaned over and kissed him softly as he had done to her not long ago.

Her mind caught up with her quickly, though, and she straightened. Blushing furiously, she turned her head away, Raven hair falling over her face like a curtain. "T-that is, um, I like the way you talk either way, um, crap, i-i mean, um," she stammered wildly before cursing under her breath and running a hand through her hair.

Where Mervyn had once been cold, Sapphire's touch on his face now made him shiver, goosebumps breaking out on his arms. He was feeling too many different things all at once - fear, confusion, sadness, excitement - and he had no idea what to do with it all. He closed his eyes as this time Sapphire kissed him. It was no less strange a feeling the second time, and he wasn't completely sure he liked it. Perhaps all of the other feelings were getting in the way. "'Ey, nah, you don' 'ave to say that," he said, proving how naturally his cockney accent came by accidentally slipping back into it. "Fanks, though. Look - maybe we should jus' - I dunno - it's nearly curfew anyway, innit? 'N' I dunno about you, but I'm well tired." He tried not to look too pained as he added, "Can we forget about this? Not that I don' really like you - hones' to Merlin, I do - but I don't fink I can do... this stuff. I'm kind of shy, 'n' it's a bit awkward - know wot I mean? Sorry, Sapph. I fink you're great. It's probably just summink wrong wiv me. Tell your bruvver I'm a git, if you want. I don' mind."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back