Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 9 1/2 Inch Sturdy Alder Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
As far as Landon knew, the first lesson with his second years had been a good success. He just hoped that the batch were as sensible as they made out to be considering the dangerous workload that they had this semester. Today's lesson was going to be their first lesson with an actual mandrake and he was probably more nervous than he had ever been. Before his students arrived, Landon was busy making sure each workstation was set with large clay pots, potting tools, watering cans and small pots of Mandrakes. Nothing was to go wrong that lesson and he was sure of it.

When each student was situated next to a workstation, Landon quickly began the lesson. "I hope you all have your earmuffs today because, as you can see, we are going to get started with handling mandrakes. The mandrake you are standing in front of now will be your pet for the rest of the semester. You will look after them and you'll be writing a journal all about it. For now, your first step is to repot them and place them comfortably into a new home." Landon couldn't help but be nervous for the students and what they were about to do. He had only ever seen the majority of them once before and now he was trusting them to do what they were told when dire circumstances were involved. "One thing you must understand before you even begin touching your mandrake is that you may not cause your mandrake any harm. Anyone who is found to do that will get an automatic fail for this course this year which I'm sure none of you would like." He continued, with a sarcastic smile. "Mandrakes fancy damp soil, shade to sunlight, and occasional food. Remember to take proper care of them."

After a good overview of the rules, Landon was a bit more confident with them all. He was never a stickler for rules but going through them would hopefully ensure that all of the twelve and thirteen year olds were safe. On the bright side, the students would never have to hear Landon go through them again as he was sure they'd all be mature enough to remember each and every one. Professor Carter walked over to his desk and leaned against it to observe all the students. He instructed, "Put on your Dragonhide gloves and your work robes and we shall begin." Landon put on his gloves also. "I will demonstrate for you. However, before I demonstrate, I will verbally tell you what we are about to do. First, you will grasp the leaves of your Mandrake gently, yet firm. Then tug them upwards. Your Mandrake will come out of the small pot, and then you will transfer them into the large pot already filled with dirt, put them in, plant the dirt around them and give them some water. And that’s it. Watch me. Put your earmuffs on." He waited patiently for everyone to put them on and gave a few of the ones who had forgotten them one of the spare pairs of earmuffs from the box. "Their cry is pretty strident. So, make sure you have them on correctly."

Landon put his on and made sure it was in place. He did everything he had ordered them to do and eventually, the Mandrake rested comfortably in the large pot, dozing off. His Mandrake was rather small but vociferous. Landon took off his gloves and went to sit behind the desk, watching as the students began to work on their mandrakes.

-----

Assignment: RP today's lesson and write a short diary entry about your mandrake. For extra credit, you may draw a picture of your mandrake if you wish.

Leia Hume

girly | self-conscious

OOC First Name
Emzies
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Knotted 9 Inch Flexible Cherry Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Trophy Showcase:
Leia had found the quiet moments and places that she needed to study, she didn’t mention it and she definitely wasn’t making it obvious but she was finding the moments she needed to study and away from any prying eyes, after all she didn’t want anyone to know that she was working any harder than she appeared to. It would look better if she got good grades but wasn’t appearing to be working for them. Leia wanted that more than she would want the lower grade or than she would want to be noticed for trying too hard. Leia knew it meant that her time was a little less free because of it but that wasn’t something that bothered her. She had a goal in mind and she’d do whatever she needed to to achieve it. The girl was putting in the books and notes into her bag as subtly as she could, hoping that no one would really notice that her notes were more extensive that before. She made sure she had everything and then headed out of the dorm room and to her first class of the day. She just needed to focus and she would manage another week well and no one would realise.
Leia headed into the herbology greenhouse with her earmuffs in hand. She’d almost forgotten them and had headed all the way back to the dorm to get them when she’d had realised it. But she had arrived at the greenhouse with plenty of time, and was stood ready to face the mandrakes. She looked to the professor as the man got started telling them that they would be keepin a journal which seemed like a bit too much work but it would allow her to keep track of it’s progress. The slytherin listened along as the professor kept talking and then after going over what the mandrakes took them to get ready. She listened as he verbally told them what they were to do, and then once all, including Leia had put on the ear muffs, she watched as he physically did what they were then to do. She gripped the top of the plant and like they’d been shown jerked it up. She didn’t like the look of her’s at all, it was ugly, really ugly. She had mostly hoped that it might strike some maternal instinct in her but really she didn’t like how it looked at all. She wouldn’t have minded if it died there and then as she looked at it. With a deep and disgusted frown on her face she did as she was supposed to. Replotting it and then giving it some dirt and then some water. She was glad when it was over and she was able to leave the room and head back to the school.

Nikko Blackwood

painfully independent 🏄

OOC First Name
Kadi
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 10 1/2 Inch Sturdy Pine Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:
Nikko dragged his feet to herbology. He wasn’t looking forward to working with the mandrakes and they seemed much more dangerous than he felt equipped to deal with. When he entered the greenhouse, he found a spot and started picking at the exposed wood of the work benches as he waited for the lesson to begin. Nikko almost had a heart attack when Professor Carter mentioned the ear muffs and he frantically began digging through his messy book-bag until he eventually found them tucked away at the bottom. He listened to the rest of the instructions and was ready to just finish the task instead of talk about it all day. Quickly Nikko put on his ear muffs as Professor Lando demonstrated the re-potting and they were finally allowed to get on with class. He was careful not to hurt the weird plant as he started his own project, wanting to get on its good side, if it even had a good side. Nikko packed down the soil and was relieved that the lesson was nearly over which left him just enough time to scribble some notes in his journal before he needed to leave.

Kia Sorens

Unafraid- Small Child- Lonely- Amoral- Italian

OOC First Name
Jess
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 9 Inch Whippy Elm Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
Kia was settling just a little more into school life again. She sighed softly, pulling out her notebook and taking careful notes. She wasn't really sure what she was supposed to do anymore, her plan a bit more... convoluted now that she knew who she was. Who she was really. She needed some time to figure out herself again. She had been trying to figure out how to learn Italian, mostly cobbling together what she could from the few books she had picked up.

She slipped her earmuffs on once they were instructed to, pulling a small, fat looking little thing from the dirt. Ew, that wasn't very nice. She moved it to the new pot, patting the dirt around it and sighing once it was out of sight again. She was glad it was done with quickly, and once they were dismissed, she put her earmuffs back into her bag before walking towards the castle again.

Thorgan Snyder

Nature Lover | Adventure seeker

OOC First Name
Dan
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Knotted 13 1/2 Inch Sturdy Oak Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Trophy Showcase:
Thorgan had his earmuffs in his hand as he made his way into the greenhouse for the second Herbology lesson, he took his place in front of his mandrake and listened to Professor Carter as he explained what they would be doing with their mandrake and how they would effectively be their pets for the semester and they would study them as they grew. Once the explanation had ended Thorgan put his earmuffs on and made sure they were firmly placed over his ears before he grabbed hold of the mandrake and pulled it up out of its pot, he could still hear the scream but thanks to the earmuffs it didn't effect him. He dropped the thing into an empty pot and began to fill the pot with dirt until the muffled cry stopped and he added some water. Once everyone had done the same and the crys of the mandrakes had stopped, and once Professor Carer gave them the ok, Thorgan removed his earmuffs and began to pack away. Once dismissed he made his way out of the greenhouse.

Luxen Silverback II

The Snake 🐍 Among Sheep 🐑

OOC First Name
Brian V
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Straight
Wand
Curved 12 1/2 Inch Unyielding Yew Wand with Doxy Wing Core
Trophy Showcase:
Luxen had never been a fan of Herbology and even the prospect of making a small plant creature miserable wasn't really enough to make him enjoy it. He did of course remember to bring his earmuffs as he took his seat and waited for the lesson to begin. He found himself annoyed when Professor Carter told them that causing the plants harm would result an in automatic failure for the year. "Because there not going to end up being chopped into little pieces" Luxen mumbled as he was also pretty annoyed that they were going to have to keep a journal about caring for them. Perhaps when he was older he could raise one and use it to kill those that he held a particular grudge against since their cry was supposed to be fatal.

When it was time for them to re-pot the mandrakes Luxen made sure to put his earmuffs on and secure them as tightly as possible since he was in no mood to faint. He looked at the potted plant before him and then at the Professor as he pulled the ugly creature from the pot he was using to demonstrate. He could see the creature was crying but was luckily unable to hear any of it. After seeing the demonstration performed he felt confident that his own success was all but guaranteed. He gripped the top leaves perhaps a little too firmly than what the Professor had done and pulled. He could see the mandrake in all it's ugliness bawling as he loosened his grip a little bit. This was a mistake as it began to thrash about forcing Luxen to use his other hand to try and restrain it enough for him to put the stupid thing in it's new home.

Despite it's size, the mandrake was acting very similar to how a real child throwing a tantrum would act. "Quit fighting and get in the damn pot" Luxen scolded knowing that he likely couldn't be heard. It took him longer than a few other students but he finally managed to get his in and re-potted correctly though he was sweating and had quite a bit of dirt on him now. The mandrake he had worked with was now resting and Luxen was thankful that he was done with it for now. "I hope I get to cut you up myself" Luxen said to the little monster before the lesson had a chance to end and everyone was able to hear properly again.

Day One: The Mandrake is ugly and acts like a baby who's favorite toy has just been taken away. I have decided to name my Mandrake Marie-Lou. I found that pulling Marie-Lou from the pot was not as easy as I thought it would be as she was not happy at all when she came to the surface and fought with me the entire time I tried to replant her. Fortunately I had my earmuffs on properly and her annoying voice did not cause me to pass out. I do think I will come to have a kind of respect for a creature that when raised to adulthood is able to kill just by crying though I question how safe it might be for other students that are not careful when dealing with their own little ugly plants.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)