Running Ragged

Katherine Porter

OOC First Name
Brandi
Wand
Straight 10 1/2 Inch Unyielding Ebony Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Kat knew she looked a mess. Her hair was all mussed up and there were deep purple bags under her eyes. She was a shade or two paler than usual and she was moving rather sluggishly. But she didn't care, she had work to do.

Kat had been studying in the corner of library for well over two hours now, and the stack of books at her table just continued to grow. She was tired, hungry, and beyond stressed, but she couldn't let everyone down. She knew that it wasn't really that far into the year yet and that she shouldn't be so concerned about her grades, but she had a lot of expectations on her shoulders between her grandparents and herself.

She wanted more than anything to prove to her grandparents that she was worthy of being a Porter, and she felt like she needed to prove herself to all of her professors too. She was especially hoping to impress Professor Pendleton, after all she did want to become a Potions Master some day and she looked up to the man. He was always do kind and fun in classes and he of course knew a lot about potions, considering he was the potions professor and all.

She glanced at the clock as she shut her Transfiguration textbook with a loud THUD, she'd missed the start of dinner again, she didn't like showing up late because everyone always stared at her, so she just stopped going at all. She groaned and pulled a small wrapped cake that her mother had sent her from her bag and quickly ate it before anyone saw her.

She opened two more potions texts that she'd pulled from the library's shelves after all evidence of the cake was gone. That was enough Transfiguration for one day, she was pants at the subject anyway. Besides, potions was more important to you.

She dug into the books, bouncing between the two and taking notes as she went, she wanted to learn everything she could on the subject, after awhile she was finding it harder to concentrate as her stomach growled periodically and her eyes grew heavier.

Kat started slightly as she heard someone else walk into the library and figured that dinner must be over then as their footsteps sounded on the floor. She shrugged to herself and, not giving the newcomer another thought, she went back to her books and note taking.

It wasn't unusual for the Potions professor to visit the library multiple times in a single day. For one thing, he often only required a book for one or two of its chapters, and for another, he was an incredibly quick reader. Dinner had already begun that evening, but preferring as Monty did to miss the opening rush, he opted first to return the textbooks he had borrowed from the library earlier that afternoon. No sooner had he passed the book to Stefan, however, than he suddenly remembered he had intended to pick up a paper from the Daily Prophet archives. The article significant in his mind was that of some potion-related discovery, and though he had read it earlier that day, the details had since slipped his memory.

Thanking Stefan, Monty headed to the back of the room, at first paying no attention to the girl at the table behind him. As he located the paper, however, it began to occur to him that he had seen that girl earlier on in the day, during his previous visit. That had been two hours ago, at least, and yet still there the girl sat, the mountain of books around her almost appearing to have grown, rather than shrunk. After making a firm mental note of the article's details, Monty replaced the paper and approached the first year from behind. "Hello," he said. "Are you aware dinner has begun?"

It wasn't long before Kat heard someone moving around behind her in the Daily Prophet archives. She hoped they would leave soon, she really didn't like people behind her where she couldn't see them after all, who does? She had no such luck however, as the person approached her from behind to ask if she was aware that dinner had started.

She rolled her eyes dramatically, even though she knew the other person couldn't see her doing so, and sighed in annoyance. "Yes, I am aware of that, thank you so much for stating the obvious." Her voice was dripping with sarcasm and turned venomousas she continued, "Now if you don't mind would you leave me alone so I may study in peace?!" She snapped and continued her furious note taking, having gotten an extra energy boost from her annoyance at the stranger.

She wasn't normally so volatile, but she was annoyed to have been disturbed! That fact that she was barely sleeping or eating probably didn't help though.

Whatever Monty was expecting to come out of the quiet girl's mouth, it most certainly not was what did. For a second or two he stood bewildered, wondering whether or not to reprimand her tone; but before he could find the words to do so, it dawned on him that Katherine had absolutely no idea she was talking to a professor. After all, she had been nought but sweet in his lessons, not once displaying for him any hint of disrespect. In addition to this, she was quite clearly overwhelmed with the amount of work she had given herself (for surely her professors had not set that much homework within two weeks) - so much so that she had not yet attended dinner.

Monty fought away the smile that threatened to creep over his face. "Well, as a matter of fact, you see, I do mind," he said, "because I am your professor." He raised an eyebrow and pursed his lips ever so slightly, waiting with amusement for what he'd said to register.

Kat's quill stopped dead in its tracks and her face went white as death as the stranger's words sank in. Only he wasn't a stranger at all. She knew she'd recognized the voice but hadn't put two and two together until he said that. Professor Pendleton...

Oh no! No, no, no, no, no! She did not just say that to Professor Pendleton. She sprang from her seat so fast she nearly toppled over as a wave of dizziness hit her. She grasped onto the edge of the table she'd been seated at and whirled to face her professor.

Kat's face was a perfect imitation of a deer in headlights as she began spewing apologies left and right. "Oh my gosh! Professor Pendleton, I am so sorry! I never would have said that had I know it was you. I'm so very sorry sir! I swear I didn't mean to, I'm so sorry! I was just so concentrated on studying I didn't think... I..." Kat said all of this so fast it was hard to tell one word from the next. She was forced to draw in a shuddering breath as she ran out of air. With now watery eyes she bowed her head in remorse and said one last time, but much slower, "I'm sorry, sir."

She'd never felt so awful about anything in her entire life as she did now. Here she was trying to do extra work to impress her favorite professor (and her grandparents) and she went and blew it by accidentally mouthing off to him. She just hoped he didn't take too many points from her for it. She was sure she already let her professor down, she didn't need to let her whole house down too.

Between both the shame she was feeling, and tears she fought back, her body was trembling slightly while she waited on pins and needles for Professor Pendleton's response, knowing that whatever punishment he felt was fair, was well deserved.

The moment Monty saw Katherine's face, he immediately felt guilty for having found the situation amusing. The poor girl looked completely mortified, almost to the point of tears! Not only that, but her complexion was quite telling of a lack of sleep, as if she hadn't been studying just all afternoon but through the previous night as well. And... was she shaking?

Monty shook his head and drew out a nearby chair to take it, hoping Kat would sit down again. "Oh, no, there's no need for that, Kat!" he said, his expression now concerned. He leaned in a little, as if to share some deep secret, and with a faint grin added, "If you don't mention it, neither will I."

Sitting back, the professor glanced at the spines of his pupil's book mountain, a frown reaching his face. He couldn't imagine why any first year would need to be studying quite this hard. Come to think of it, he'd seen children study less enthusiastically for their NEWTs! His face softened as he looked at Katherine. "What's got you this on edge, hmm? It's quite unlike the Katherine that turns up to my lessons."

Kat watched anxiously as Professor Pendleton brought over another chair from nearby and took a seat. She nervously perched herself back on her seat and faced her professor, the dizziness subsiding now that she was seated again. She took a couple deep shaky breaths as her professor spoke to her, and her jaw nearly dropped as he said he wouldn't mention it if she didn't. Wait... She wasn't going to lose points for disrespecting him?

"R-really sir? B-but I was disrespectful to you..." She looked dejectedly at the floor, as she couldn't bear looking at her professor's face just now. He was being so kind when she didn't deserve it.

Kat continued looking at the floor like it was the most interesting thing in the world. So, she didn't notice him observing all of her books, nor his face soften before he spoke again. She took a deep breath and steeled herself before looking back up at Professor Pendleton, her face an emotionless mask, or so she thought. Truly, she looked defeated more than anything.

"I'm not on edge Professor, there's nothing wrong." Lie. "I'm perfectly fine." Lie. "I just wasn't expecting anyone to approach me, people usually leave me alone in here. I'm just trying to study so that I can keep up with all of my classes." She said dully.

Kat was really hoping he hadn't noticed that many of her books were potions texts for third years and up. She didn't want to admit to the real reason she was trying to learn so much above her level. She wasn't good enough if she was just keeping up with her classes, she had to be ahead to make everyone proud of her, to prove she was worth something. She just didn't think he would understand. No one ever did.

"Oh, forget that," Monty said, with a dismissive gesture. "Just mind you be more careful in future, mm?" Not every professor, after all, would have been so lenient. Monty could almost imagine the look of disapproval on Professor Alicastell's face if she knew that he wasn't removing any house points. Well, what she didn't know wouldn't kill her.

As Katherine began to deny there being something wrong, Monty raised an eyebrow, but allowed her to finish. "Mm," he said, pressing his lips together and nodding. "And that is, I suppose, why you are reading-" he tilted his head- "Intermediate Healing Potions by Dilbert Grimole." As he read the title, he frowned again. "Katherine, these textbooks are incredibly advanced for somebody of your level. You do realise we won't even begin to tackle any of these potions until your third year, don't you? Half of them aren't even on the syllabus!"

Kat gave her professor the faintest ghost of a smile, "Yes, sir. Sorry Professor." She was extremely lucky that Professor Pendleton was so generous and kindhearted. She knew she'd be in hot water had that been any other professor.

Kat's face flushed a deep red as Professor Pendleton called her out on her reading materials. She had really hoped that he hadn't noticed that. Her face felt like it was burning as she answered him. "Yes, sir. I'm aware of that, but you don't understand. I have to be ahead, I can't just slack off. I need to learn as much as I can." Her voice dropped to almost an inaudible level as she finished, "I just don't want to disappoint anyone."

She frowned, "But really professor, I am fine." At this her stomach growled, loudly, in protest. And she flushed an even deeper shade of red, that she didn't think was even possible. "Erm... Sorry..." Even her ears were burning now.

The last thing Katherine could possibly be doing was slacking off; she'd made enough work for herself to last the entire year. It was not this remark that concerned Monty, however, so much as the next. She didn't want to disappoint anyone. Where on earth had she got the idea that she might do that? From herself, or from her family, Monty surmised. Nobody felt compelled to impress without first having been made to feel inadequate. Well - perhaps that was a statement rather too bold. Regardless the roots of her anxiety, though, Monty would not allow her comment to slip past unaddressed. "You don't want to disappoint anybody?" he repeated. "Katherine, the only way you could disappoint us is to prioritise this excessive studying over your health. Your enthusiasm is... commendable, but I rather fear you're expending a great deal of energy where you needn't. You do not, for instance, need to waste the slightest thought on Shrinking Solutions for another two years, at the very least. I shan't tell you not to study - in fact, I positively implore you to pursue these interests - but... perhaps you might need to find some sort of balance between work and leisure, hm?"

The growl of Katherine's stomach had not gone unnoticed. "For example, there beckons our presence at this very moment a most splendid feast, and I, for one, do not intend to miss it. Will you be accompanying me to the great hall?"

Kat blinked, "Oh... Did I say that out loud?" She frowned. Well, she thought to herself, he'd already sussed out what she was afraid of now thanks to her big mouth, no sense in hiding it. She sighed, "I don't think I'd call it excessive professor. I have been eating and sleeping." Probably not as much as she should, she thought to herself. "So, I don't see the problem. I just really need to be able prove to my family that I'm worthy of my name. I have to be ahead, and I have to succeed. I have no other choice." She said despondently.

Her cheeks tinted faintly and she added, "Plus, truth be told, I was really hoping to be able to impress you in classes by knowing the material so well, because one day I want to be a Potions Master..." She looked away for a moment, embarrassed that she had actually told her professor so much. "I... I just don't see how I can afford to study any less."

Kat felt that his question about accompanying him to the great hall was likely more of a nicely worded demand than an actual question, but she glanced between her books and her professor. She had just eaten a cake, and she really did need to study some more. "Erm... But, Professor..." She glanced back at her books again, like they were calling her name. "I still have studying that I need to do. I don't have time to go to dinner, but I don't want to hold you from the feast." She frowned, hoping that he would just let her study and not get upset with her for wanting to continue.

Monty got the suspicion Katherine was telling him far more than she meant to, and so decided not to press for details of her family life. Instead, he made a mental note thenceforth to be sensitive of her situation. He did not need to know, anyway, why she felt the need to prove herself worthy of the Porter name; it was of no business to him, and would not have made the slightest difference to his approach. As Katherine continued on to explain that she wished to impress him, he finally shook his head. That was ridiculous. "Let me ask you: have you ever heard the phrase, 'Rome wasn't built in a day'? It is to say, 'Great works cannot be done in a hurry.'"

Monty paused to think for a moment, and then said, "No, but you are quite right; I shall leave the distribution of your day within your capable hands. I only advise that you study for your own benefit, and not for that of anybody else. The only person you ought to be proving yourself to is you." The potions professor paused a second longer before standing up. He made to leave, and then turned a few paces away. "Are you sure you won't join me? Those books won't run away in... thirty minutes."

Kat mentally smacker herself in the head. Why had she said all of that, he must think of her as a nut job now. Oh well, you can't take back words. What's done is done.

"Yes, Professor, I see what you're saying, I will try to work on my time distribution in the future." She told him. She wasn't sure she would actually change anything because regardless of what he said, she didn't have a choice but to work to impress her family. "Thank you for the offer sir, but I think I'd like to stay here if it's no difference to you. Enjoy the feast." She smiled at him before turning her back to him and pulling a second year Herbology text from her stacks and diving into it.

Monty inclined his head, realising it futile to insist. He would keep an eye on the Ravenclaw, but could offer no more advice than that which he had already given. "Thank you," he said. "Goodbye." Then he left Katherine to her studies and headed off to catch the end of the feast.

After finishing her dinner in the great hall, Margo excused herself prematurely and headed up to the library, hoping to miss the crowds that filled the corridors during the evening. Passing Professor Pendleton on the way, she ducked her head and sped up, reaching the fourth floor with a stitch in her side. Typical. She clutched at the pain and pushed open the library door with her free hand, heading straight for for the F-J section. She had a very particular book in mind to read that evening. Exams were still a long way off, but the Ravenclaw didn't believe in such a thing as being over-prepared. She had to do well; and right now, she really, really needed some tips for brewing the Deflating Draught.

But when Margo arrived at the correct section, there was a large gap where the book she wanted was supposed to be. "Ugh!" she said, heading over to the counter to see if it had been withdrawn recently. According to the librarian, however, the book hadn't been withdrawn at all. Margo frowned, returning to the bookshelf for another look. It had better not have been put back in the wrong place! She didn't have time to search the entire library for a single book. As she turned, though, and saw a student sitting at a desk over a book, she had a thought. Curiously, she approached, peering over the girl's shoulder so that she wouldn't have to disturb her. It was the book she wanted!! "What are you doing with that?" she asked, before she could help herself. "You're a first year!"

After Professor Pendleton had left the Library, Kat sighed in contentment at the pure quite she was left in. She continued scribbling notes on her parchment from her Herbology text. She was hard at work when she heard another set of footsteps enter the Library. She really hoped that Professor Pendleton hadn't returned to make her go to dinner.

The footsteps didn't come her way though, instead they headed to the F-J section of the library before walking over to the counter. She heard a female voice conversing shortly with the librarian behind the counter, but couldn't distinguish what was being said.

Kat shrugged to herself, obviously they weren't here to see her so she went back to her work, giving it her full attention. So much so that she never heard the other person approaching her from behind until they spoke.

Kat toppled off the side of her chair in surprise and ended sprawled on the floor next to the table. She scrambled to stand up again, still feeling a bit light headed from missing dinner, but not as bad as before now that the cake had settled.

She looked up at the other girl, she seemed vaguely familiar, likely because she was a Ravenclaw as well, but obviously an upper year. Kat just wasn't sure which year for sure the girl was in. She realized then what the girl had said and glanced to her stacks of books. "Erm yeah, I am a first year." She said questioningly. "I'm sorry, did you need one of these?" She gestured to the books strewn about the table.

The poor girl Margo addressed was so taken aback that Margo was taken aback by her taken abackness. She jumped a little, her jaw dropping as the first year actually fell off her chair in surprise. "Oh my God," she said, bending over to try to help her up. "I'm sooo sorry! Oh, I didn't mean to scare you. I am such an idiot. Are you OK?"

Once she'd finished gushing her apologies, Margo sat down, her face flushed pink. "I did, actually, if that's OK. I'm meant to be brewing a Deflating Draught next week. I'm absolutely dreading it. I'm Margo, by the way. What's your name?" Gosh, she was terrible at first impressions. Only a year earlier she had introduced herself to somebody by practically yelling at them - although this year, she hadn't meant to cause them any harm. She reached out for the book, waiting for permission before she took it. "Can I..?"

Kat sat back down when the upper year girl did after their little fiasco. "Yeah, I'm fine, don't worry about it. I just wasn't paying attention to my surroundings." She waved her hand in dismissal. " No harm no foul." The other girl seemed nearly as jumpy as she was, and Kat had been the on snuck up on!

Kat listened as the girl explained what she needed and introduced herself. She nodded and slid the book toward Margo, "Yeah sure, no problem, it's all yours. I've already finished it anyway. The Deflating Draught is on page 196, by the way." She smiled. "Oh! Oops, sorry. I'm Katherine, but most people just call me Kat." Her face flushed pink. Trust her to forget to introduce herself. She let out a little embarrassed cough. "So you must be a third year then if you're brewing that draught, right?"

Margo thought the girl was probably being a little generous with her forgiveness, but she smiled and accepted it gratefully all the same. She was really going to have to be more careful, or wear some heavier shoes, or something.

"Thanks!" she said, pulling the large book across the library table towards her and flipping to the advised page. "Oh, you are a life saver." Merlin knew what she would have done if she hadn't found that book. Placing her finger at the top of the paragraph she needed so that she wouldn't lose it, Margo said, "Nice to meet you, Kat. That's a very pretty name." The young first year looked a little embarrassed, and Margo hoped she wasn't contributing to her discomfort. "Yep, I'm a third year. Feels like only yesterday I was in your shoes, though!" She frowned in thought. "What were you doing reading these books? Aren't they way above your level?"

Kat watched as Margo pulled to book across the table and opened to the draught she needed and placed her finger as a marker. "No problem!" She smiled.

She blushed a bit again when Margo complimented her on her name. "Really? Thank you. I've always thought Katherine sounds too stuffy to be honest." She thought for a moment, she didn't think she'd ever come across another Margo before. "Your name is really cool, I've never heard it before, but it's really nice." Kat hoped she didn't sound too stupid. She may know a lot of words for her age, but she was awful at stringing them together for a semi-decent compliment. "Err, sorry that probably sounded dumb."

Kat smiled slightly again when Margo's class year was confirmed, but it turned to a smirk at the girl's question. "Everyone seems to be quite interested in that today. Professor Pendleton was just in here calling me out about my texts being "Incredibly advanced for somebody of your level."" She used her fingers to make air quotes as she said it. "I mean I guess they're technically a little advanced, but I need to make sure I stay ahead of everyone else. I have a lot of expectations to live up to." No need to mention that half of those were her own.

"No way," said Margo. "I like it." Having been raised in a family that traditionally used old-fashioned names, the Ravenclaw had grown quite fond of them. She would much rather have been called Brogan, or Cynthia, like her sisters, but that might just have been because she admired them so much. She didn't just want to be named after them - she wanted to be them. Hearing Kat's compliment, she blushed. "Thanks. It didn't sound dumb at all! Honestly, have you even heard me? My mum swears I'm English, but some days I really doubt it."

The last person Margo wanted to hear about at that moment was Professor Pendleton. She pulled a face. "God, you're really good at imitating him. Honestly, don't worry about it. Old people always think they know best, but they rarely ever do. I think it's great you're so self-disciplined. I'd kill for that kind of enthusiasm, you have no idea." Margo rested her elbow on the table and her forehead in her hand and sighed dramatically, her stomach starting to ache. She should not have taken those stairs so quickly after eating.

Kat grinned, "Well, thank you then!" she then giggled when Margo assured her that she didn't sound dumb. "Oh thank goodness. For all the English I have learned, I never feel like I can properly sting together decent sentences! Especially meeting new people, I just get so.. so... erm... flabbergasted! ... See what I mean?"

Kat observed the face that Margo made at her mention of the potion's professor and made a note to try not to bring him up too much in the other girl's presence. Just because he was her favorite professor, didn't mean everyone liked him she supposed.

Kat realized that she hadn't responded yet and flushed again. "Oh, uhh thanks. Though I don't think that skill will be all too useful to me." She laughed. "But, he did bring up some valid points that I should probably at least consider listening to. And I mean, he did seem to be genuinely concerned..." She paused. "I may have been a bit too hard on myself these past few days." She shrugged. "I just can't really afford to show any less... erm.. enthusiasm, as you put it."

Kat gave the third year a concerned look as she sighed dramatically. "Margo, are you okay?" Kat's blue eyes were wide, hoping the other girl was indeed alright.

Margo giggled, completely able to relate to the girl's troubles. Even though Katherine was a first year and Margo a third, she sort of felt herself hoping they might hang out a bit. Odette was the best friend Margo could ever have asked for, but she was so elegant, and always knew exactly what to say and how to say it. Having a slightly more clumsy friend around might have been comforting, too.

Hearing of Professor Pendleton's kind concern, Margo bit her lip guiltily. He wasn't a bad professor, not really - she just wanted to think about something else right now. She'd thought enough about her Potions professor over the holidays to last her a whole lifetime! "I guess," she said. "Don't make studying your whole life, though. It's really cool you want to be so clever, but hanging out with your friends is sooo much more fun. Have you made lots of friends yet?"

Margo dismissed the girl with a wave. "Yeah, I'm OK. Ate waaay too much, though. The food here is so good. Have you eaten yet?"

Kat noticed Margo bite her lip when she mentioned Professor Pendleton and decided to let the subject drop. Clearly the older student did not want to discuss him. She blushed when Margo asked if she'd made lots of friends yet. "No, I haven't really had a lot of time to make friends with all of my studying." She laughed awkwardly, "Plus, I mean, I'm not exactly the most outgoing person in the world. I'm a little afraid to meet new people, so I do my best to avoid the situation if at all possible. I'm more comfortable around books I guess."

She frowned. Well, that didn't sound very good, did it? She decided to add, "Not that I would mind making new friends and getting away from the library some. I'm just really bad at making a good impression on new people. And my friends I do have all seem to be busy with other people, and I don't really want to bother them." She stopped and realized she'd been babbling and immediately shut her mouth. Oops.

Margo waved off her concern, saying she just ate too much. Kat nodded in agreement about the food here, but paused when Margo asked if she'd eaten. She flushed deeply and shook her head. "Erm, no. Actually I haven't." She played with her fingers nervously. "That was kind of what the professor was getting on me about, that I skipped the feast and stayed here to study." She hadn't planned on bringing him back up, but she couldn't help it if it related to what they were discussing.

"We're so alike," Margo said. "I mean, not about the studying part - I absolutely hate studying - can you believe I was sorted into Ravenclaw? - but the part about making friends. I was, like, a total loner until I came to Hogwarts. To be fair, I still would be, if it wasn't for Odette. She's my best friend. Like, the most beautiful, amazing girl you'll ever meet. Anyway, I usually make a really terrible first impression on people. I talk waaay too much, and I swear, I could trip over my own shadow. I'm just so clumsy." She smiled and shrugged. "But if you have one or two friends, that's all you really need. I'd rather have one best friend than a whole load of OK friends, you know?"

Margo's jaw dropped when she discovered Kat hadn't eaten yet. "Omigod, are you crazy?!" She stood up and attempted to link her arm through Kat's and pull her up. "Forget the studying. You have to try the treacle tart. It's like, the best thing you'll ever eat for the rest of your life."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back