Rolling Out The Welcome Mat

Abel Smith

Sexual Orientation
Complicated.
Wand
Curly 15 Inch Rigid Ebony Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
The Student Defence Association had been around since Abel was in First Year, although some years he was not a proper presence and not an official member, he was still around and helping out. It was held in the dungeons, and to make sure that people could find their way down here by lighting the way using candles and lanterns around the dungeons and a sign at the start with the clubs name clearly written. He doubted anyone could get lost, and if they somehow managed it, then they were worse than he was with directions. The club had gone through some tough years, with barely any members joining, but the Slytherin hoped that he could breathe some life into it. It was his first position of responsibility, and he naturally did not want to screw it up, nor did he want the hard work of the previous leader, Benjamin, to go to waste. The previous Head Boy had obviously decided that he would be capable of taking over, and take over he shall.

Coming just off from the Duelling Chamber, where the arena was, the SDA was a little smaller, with chairs lined in a circle and plenty of lighting so reading could be possible if one so wished. There was a table with some food, mostly treats because everyone loved treats and Abel himself had quite a sweet tooth. He looked around the room to see if there was anything else he needed to do, but he couldn't think of anything. He had the sign and lit the way with blue flamed candles and lanterns, he had food and beverages from the house elves who actually surprised him with their readiness to accommodate for his idea, the place was clean, maybe a little on the warm side. But he was used to colder weather than New Zealand could give, so it wouldn't be too hot. He shrugged to himself and took a seat that faced the door, and waited to see how many students would wish to join this year.
OOCOut of Character:
Hey! :)
So this is very simple. Just post your character coming in, maybe having something to eat if they like, and introduce themselves to Abel. I'm hoping to get this club up and running and to bring forth a few ideas. If you have any, as I said in the Sign Up Sheet feel free to PM me and have your character give a few suggestions. This rp won't go indepth, however, It's just a meet and greet this time. But feel free to have rps within the SDA section, or in the Dueling Chambers any time you like. ^_^
I will PM the accounts that signed up for this, as it is simpler than going to each individual account with the same message. From now on I will PM those same accounts (unless forwarded to a more active account, to which I will gladly oblige). If you haven't signed up by the time I posted this, no problem, you can still sign up and post here! :D

James Adams strode into the small ante-chamber off the duelling chamber, presuming as usual that he was late, and missing something. Again, as usual, it was only his jitters - he was in fact earlier than anyone else. As he walked in, having followed the clear candle-lit passageways to the room, he felt astonished that the Slytherins could bear to live in such conditions. Dank and dark, the only light given off by some guttering torches, the grimy and damp walls gave James the creeps.

The small SDA room was much more of a surprise however. Despite being built in the same fashion, it exuded a friendly air. James saw the circle of chairs, and felt as if he had walked into a board-room meeting that was just about to take place.

James then saw the sweetments on the table, and grabbing a pumpkin pastie and a cauldron cake, began to survey the room again. He noticed a Slytherin standing in the centre of the room, and waking over to him, he introduced himself, guessing correctly that he was the President of the society.

"James Adams, pleased to meet you...Abel? I was wondering whether you'd care to show us your Patronus at some point. I'd like to see one!" James hoped that Abel would show it to him, because it was a complex spell that James hoped to learn more about.

Dominique was already loving the school. She had yet to find Victoria and have a real conversation with her, but she knew that she would be here. She had more knowledge about Vee than she did about shoes - and she loved shoes. The new Gryffindor walked through the dungeons, and found it fortunate that the way was lit for her. She would have been horribly lost, and she wanted to surprise Victoria, so she couldn't show up late or anything. Taking a deep breath, the transfer student entered the room, finding it to be quite welcoming and warm. It was like walking straight into a cuddle! This put a grin right on her face, and she looked about the room. There were many chairs in a circle, meaning that if they all sat down they would need to look at each other. What a smart idea. She smiled at the fellow Gryffindor, not knowing who he was. She didn't know who anyone was, really, except her Slytherin baby sister and her Gryffindor best friend. This was a new place, she had only been in New Zealand for a few months - but she was so pleased.

She approached her fellow members, noticing that the leader was pretty cute. "Hiya!" she greeted, waving at both of them. "I'm Dominique Grimm - this place looks ah-ma-zing! It's warm, like walking straight into a hug. Just fabulous." She sat herself down in a seat and crossed her legs, before straightening out her Gryffindor skirt. "So, on a similar note to the patronus thing, will we be allowed to pair up with people and practice spells together? Is there a certain age we have to be before we can experiment with some spells and stuff? Will there always be food?" She had to be feed. Dominique was not walking down all those steps to get here if food was not guaranteed. It was a real deal-breaker for her.

Dexter smiled as he entered the Student Defence Association meeting area. Considering the area was in the dungeons, which were dark, and cold, and situated under a lake, the area had so far been lit up magnificently, and as he entered the room, the warmth brushed against his skin and made the part-veela grin to himself. Then he smelt it, the delicious scent of cauldron cakes. Yup, he was staying. The Slytherin walked over to the two Gryffindor's and who he assumed was the leader, Abel, a fellow Slytherin. He did not know much about the older boy, as he did not mingle much with older students. He knew that he was a Sixth year, but that was about it. Dexter really had no reason to ever speak to the boy, until now. He smiled at the two Gryffindor's, noting their names as he heard them, and then looked over at Abel. "Hello, my name's Dexter Lesley," he greeted, taking a cauldron cake and sitting down to listen to the answers Abel was to give to the two Gryffindors.

Avie had decided during this semester, or well, this year that he was going to join a lot more clubs than in the previous year. He had joined the academia club, mostly since he figured that it might just help him in learning how to read and everything. He was taking some lessons with Professor Raven which had been helping him, though it really was slow. He was still very easily distracted, and that meant it was taking it's sweet time. But, Avie felt like he was more confident about it all, well he was beginning to feel more confident about it. For that reason, as well as wanting to protect himself from the few antics he'd pulled which according to some were incredibly dangerous, he had decided it would be better for him, if he sort of imbedded himself within the school. If made sure that he was in enough placing that he could not be easily removed. Avie had received a message from the SDA club, which he had been very interested in joining. Learning spells and what not would obviously be fun, but learning to fight would be equally as fun. He could finally move on to target practice with spells.

Avie arrived at the room, and noticed that a few others were already there. Two people he didn't know and one that he didn't really know all that well. Avie smiled to himself and then the others in the room as he entered. They appeared to be talking about patronuses, which Avie was of course interested in but, also unsure as to if he would ever be able to preform it. "Hey" He greeted the people in the room. He waved at them before heading over to where food lay upon the tables. He picked up a few things that he wanted to snack on, "I'm Avie" he told them as he turned back towards where the crowd was. He smiled at them, before stuffing a biscuit in his mouth, letting the others continue talking. He was sure that this club would be a lot of fun, and the slytherin honestly couldn't wait to get started. He knew that he might have some trouble since he was not very good with learning, and hoped that he'd be able to focus enough in this club. Although it didn't matter, clubs were about fun, and if there was one thing Avie knew how to do, it was have fun.

The Student Defence Association was one of the best places for Kelsey to learn and practice more of the spells she was learning in her classes. It was one of the reasons she had signed up for the Student Defence Association in the first place. The fact that she was in the Dungeons though was a bit of a downer that they were in the Dungeons, however as she was making her way down the corridors she realised that the way was lit in a most beautifully effective way. Kels grinned when she realised that Abel, the new leader, was trying to make it more appealing to newbies. She grew excited at the notion and quickened her pace to get to where she was going. As she entered the room she smiled at all the decorations and the brightness she found there. It was all very well done and she liked his style. Skipping over to Abel and giving him a little wave. As she reached him she pulled her classmate into a hug. "Abel! Congratulations! I was so thrilled when I heard!" She said as she released him. "So what do you think? I've been tossing up names, like for what to call you, your title, Leader, Captain, Director! I can't decide! Which do you like?" As soon as he had answered her, Kelsey giggled, skipped over to the snack table, where she proceeded to move some of the food to sit herself on the table. It was a habit she had picked up quite recently. Grabbing a pumpkin pasty, Kels watched the people in the room. This was all so exciting!

Francesca had been a member of the Student Defence Association since last year, so she knew the drill. She knew where she was going, and she was excited to see what Abel was doing. She had not been able to really get to know Benjamin, the Head Boy was just a little too intimidating for her. He was the Head Boy, and she had been a first year. She hadn't wanted to speak with him by herself - she would have been nervous! But now that she was a second year, and felt that she sort of knew the leader, in a way, she was a little more comfortable. And the fact that her big sister was going to be there. Francesca had not spoken to Dominique for what seemed like forever, and now she was here - in the castle! Franny was ridiculously excited.

She entered the room, bypassing the food table, and made a beeline towards the other students. "Hello Abel, it's me, Francesca Grimm!" She wasn't sure if he still remembered her, so she introduced herself just in case, and then wrapped her arms around the neck of Dominique. "Hey Dom, welcome," she whispered, before sitting herself beside her sister.

Emily waltzed right into the Student Defence Association room. She had never seen a place in the Dungeons so bright! Though of course it was also true that she hadn't actually spent much time in the Dungeons either, being a first year. She had signed up for this club with some urging from her mother, she said it would be worthwhile and could potentially help her with her studies for certain spells. Definitely defensive ones as that was what the entire club was for anyway. She smiled as she looked around the room at all the people. There were so many! Though she had yet to see her brother, but that was okay, he would soon be here she was sure, after all, he was in a different house and had further to travel then she did! Noticing that people were asking some boy questions, Emily could only assume that he was the head of the club, or the leader, or whatever he was supposed to be called. Emily smiled and walked up to him, waving as he was talking to others. When it was her turn, she held out her hand to him to shake and grinned. "Hi! I'm Emily! My mum said I should sign up, she is a Professor here. She teaches Muggle Studies, do you do that class?"

Victoire was very much looking forward to all this term would bring her. She had been working very hard over the past few weeks and she was happy to be back at school. Her holidays had been incredibly fun, she had had a blast with her cousins and all her family. She was definitely happy to have seen all of them. There was obviously a part of her that wanted to stay out there, she had learned of a magical school in France, and Victoire would be lying if she said she wasn't thinking about transferring to it, but she loved Hogwarts and above all she loved being in Gryffindor. It was just so much fun. This semester Victoire was looking forward to giving things another go. She was looking forward to her lessons, and she was looking forward to the Yuleball and Halloween. There was nothing that was more exciting to her. Victoire had received word about the SDA meeting, she hadn't thought about joining, but having read the daily prophet article in which one of the candidates had spoken quite strongly about muggleborns had really lead her into thinking that she should at least know how to defend herself.

Stepping into the room, Victoire realised there was already quite a crowd of people. She glanced around seeing if she could see anyone that she knew, but unfortunately she couldn't. It didn't really help that Victoire was incredibly limited when it came to friends. She glanced around the room, and just tried to find someone she could at least recognise. There were a few from her year, but she didn't know them that well. Not enough that she thought she could go up to them and be able to talk to them. So, instead she wandered around the room, and just took a seat in the corner. A lot of people were talking away, and Victoire was just happy to not really involve herself that much in it. Not just yet. She glanced around and noticed the food table, but instead of getting up and getting the food herself, she took out her wand and levitated a cupcake to where she sat. Happily beginning to much on it as she waited for the club to get underway. Perhaps they would learn what sort of things they would be tackling during this year. What sort of things this club even did.

Willow had never been in the Student Defence Association before, but she had always wanted too. Now was her chance! As she walked into the room, she was suddenly assaulted with bright lights and exaggerated warmth. Willow shielded her eyes from the candle light, so many candles were on in this room. As inviting as she was sure it was for some other people, Willow didn't exactly like having candles floating all over the place with blue light. It tended to hurt her sensitive eyes. Never the less, she just continued into the room and searched around for the head of the club, assuming it was the boy surrounded by a bunch of people, Willow assumed she had found him. Smiling slightly, Willow walked up to the boy to introduce herself. "Hi, I'm Willow Hydran. I only just signed up, but it looks like I could learn a lot. What kinds of things will we be learning, or practicing?"

Maya loved the Student Defence Association, however she never got to attend any meetings because the then leader had been the head boy and Maya had done everything possible to stay away from her. This meant that because he was the head of the Student Defence Association at the time, she didn't go to the meetings. Now that they had a new leader, Maya was sure she would be okay to attend now that the meanie wasn't the leader. So as she traveled the corridors to the Duelling Chamber she grew more and more excited by the lighting and the cool signs. She really loved it all. Stepping into the chamber she immediately made her way to the snack table that appeared to be occupied to one of the Hufflepuff prefects to whom she waved before grabbing some cookies and walking back to the centre with all the others. "Hi! I'm Maya!"

Ronnie Boneheart was terribly excited about everything. Her sister was in a club called the Student Defence Association. So of course Veronica had signed up the moment that sign ups had opened. Roni loved her sister and she wanted to see her as much as possible. Roni smiled and waved when she saw her sister and bound over to her, all the energy in the room seeming to send her overly bubbly personality zooming. Roni grinned as she was offered the rest of Kelsey's cupcake and she gladly recieved it, offering her sister a jelly bean in return, which was declined. Unperturbed, Roni turned to the head of the club, whom she was directed to by Kelsey and made her way to introduce herself. "Hiya! My name is Veronica Meredith Boneheart, but you can definitely call me Roni, I hate Veronica its so old fashioned!" She then proceeded to give the boy a hug before finishing her cupcake.

Tybalt had always really enjoyed Defence Against the dark arts, and while he wasn't so interested in hurting people, he knew that it would be useful for him to know more about defensive things. Which was why he had decided to join the SDA, previously he had not been able to contribute much, it had always been too hard. That and the club had been a little dormant over his years at the school. Only now that it was in the hands of a sixth year, some boy named Abel or something had anything actually happened with it. Ty was very much looking forward to what it would bring, and he'd heard rumours about them starting a duelling club again. While Ty was sure he'd never really need it, he was looking forward to joining in and having a little bit of practice in protecting himself against others. Though in his line of work, well where he wanted to work, that wasn't so much of an issue. But as it was his second last year in the school he was just waiting to be able to have a little bit more fun with it all. Tybalt was very happy to hear that Abel was really planning on doing things with the club.

The walk down for the Gryffindor prefect was easy, he arrived at the room, and saw that a lot of people had just arrived. He recognised a few of them. A few of the people who were part of his own club, and others he knew from classes, like Kelsey. "Kelsey!" he called to her, before wandering over. He liked her, she was a good friend. He smiled at her, and then noticed she was talking to the president of the club. At this, Tybalt held out his hand to the other boy, "I'm Tybalt, or Ty. Well done on the position" He said to the boy as a way of introduction. "I've noticed a lot of first years, but I expect that they won't really be taking part in the duelling surely, if you plan to have that again" Tybalt said to him with a bright smile. He really didn't know much about the boy in front of him, but from what he gathered this would be in good hands. He was pleased that it was this person over others that had managed to get the position. Tybalt believed he'd be more than capable.

Abel smiled as he was spoken to by a younger boy. He grinned at what he said, but ultimately shook his head. As a sixth year, there were still spells that he could not cast. The Patronus Charm being one of them. It was a complicated charm that one would only learn in Seventh year, and even then some couldn't cast a proper one that looked like an animal. His sister couldn't. He hoped he would be able to, but he would have to wait until the time came for such a lesson. "I'd like to see one too - but I'm a sixth year. You learn the Patronus Charm in seventh year, if you're able to, some just can't do it. But if we're lucky, maybe we could convince Professor Styx to show us one - or maybe a seventh year will join and can show us one once they learn. If not, then perhaps next year. This club is around to help out students with learning magic, so next year this year's sixth years will be able to bounce ideas off each other, and maybe we can get a patronus out of one of us." It was complicated, powerful magic, Abel knew this, and he also knew that not everyone was capable of performing a coherent spell, but hopefully the club could help with practice, and help students reach that sort of ability. If worse came to worse, maybe he could pluck up enough courage to nag Professor Styx about it, he assumed that he would be able to do so, as he was the DADA professor and presumably powerful enough to use the spell.

His attention was then taken by a Gryffindor girl, she appeared slightly older than the boy, but still younger than Abel. He nodded at her description of the room. He had hoped for a warm feeling when entering, to try and appeal to people. Not everyone liked the cold, darkness of a dungeon. "Thanks." He wasn't going to say how long it took him to set up. He didn't want to think about it. He had enlisted his dear friend Killua's help, but was not sure where his fellow Slytherin had gone. They were rarely apart, so Abel assumed Killy was with Aaren, or trying to be around Aaren. "Anyway, in this particular room there will be more theory stuff, however, if you noticed, the Dueling chamber has an arena. That was where proper duels were held, but for now we will be using it for some practice spells, so you will be partnering up. We can't do anything dangerous, however, unless Professor Kingsley is around. But I think a simple exchange of spells and such will be totally fine, just try not to break anything otherwise it's all on my head," he explained, chuckling at the end. "If dueling does start, first years will not be allowed to participate, however, they are perfectly allow to watch. It's not just a matter of age, but experience. There are not a lot of spells a first year can perform well enough in a dueling situation but they can learn a lot simply be watching." He then inclined his head to the food table. "And, as long as I get here before you, there will be food on that table. The kitchen's are nearby, so it's really simply to drop in and ask for some food to be made for everyone. I hope that, if I'm not the first in, I'll be greeted by food on the table because someone else has asked for it. The house elves are pretty accommodating and happy to help if you ask."

Abel looked over at the Slytherin, Dexter, and nodded. "Hello Dexter, good to meet you." Abel then waved at another, younger, Slytherin that entered. He remembered this boy better than the other, as he had seen him at the meeting, doing something the Sixth year thought no-one could. "Hey Avie - welcome!" He was then taken a little by surprise as he was hugged, before recognising the overly affectionate Hufflepuff he was now in the arms of. Kelsey. He patted her back awkwardly, not being a fan of physical touch. They were certainly friendly, but he never hung out with the prefect that much at all, maybe occasionally, but not often. He did consider her a friend, however, and rather liked her. "Hey Kelsey, thanks." Once released, he shrugged, and smiled. "I hadn't thought about it. Captain sounds like I'm running the Quidditch team, and Director is a little too artsy - Leader's good." Another familiar face showed herself after Kelsey skipped off. Francesca. He had only known the girl through the SDA, but that was all that was needed for him to remember her. He was good with faces. "Hello Franny, good to see you're back." The amount of students was really starting to climb upwards, as he was approached by another young face. He had to think for a moment, about the Muggle Studies professors. There was only one female Muggle Studies professor currently, Professor Hayes. He took the girl's hand in his own, and shook. "Professor Hayes? I took Muggle Studies in Third, but wasn't very good I'll admit. I ended up dropping it, but I know who she is. You're lucky." Abel's blue eyes then spotted a cupcake floating towards a young Gryffindor, who had seated herself before introducing herself. She may have been a little nervous or something, he wasn't sure, but he made an effort to try and lock eyes with her, and give her a reassuring smile none-the-less.

A Ravenclaw soon began addressing him, and Abel turned to face her. "Welcome Willow. The things we'll be practicing here are any spells you feel you need to brush up on. We already have quite a few members, which means that you should be able to find someone to practice all sorts of spells with. It's really an area to come together to try and educate each other on the ways of defence, and dueling etiquette, but I like to think of this place to also be a space where you can come to try and find someone to help you with a spell you're not too sure on, if you don't want to go to a professor - or you could find someone that is in the same situation, and you could go see a professor together." Hoping he answered her question, he moved onto greeting a young Hufflepuff girl. "Hello Maya!" This was really going quite quickly, and Killua still wasn't here. What was his friend doing? Soon enough, another, much younger Kelsey appeared, this time wearing Gryffindor robes. Since he didn't know Kelsey all too well, he had no idea that she had had another sibling. He knew of her brother, but not a little sister - who was also very affectionate, it seemed. "I assume you're Kelsey's sister," he replied, patting her head awkwardly, really wishing that Kelsey and her relatives would stop hugging him. Hopefully she didn't have a couple more siblings he didn't know about. "Anyway, thanks Roni, and welcome to the SDA!"

Abel then smiled at Tybalt, whom he knew because he was in the Grffindor's own club, Club Academia, and had been since last year, although he did not attend the meetings as much as he should have, since last year was not a good year for him at all. Everything had suffered after his attack, and that included his attendance at club activities. "Hello Ty, thank you. With regards to duels, I personally will not be encouraging first years to participate. They still need to learn proper aim and casting techniques, as well asbalance, all things important in a duel. Their spell usage is also a little limited. They will, however, be able to observe duels, and be taught how to duel, just without the spell casting. There's much more to a duel than just shouting out spells, something I'm sure you'd know. However, at the end of the day I will not stop anyone willing to have a go, as long as they stay within their year," he explained, tucking his hands into the pockets of his robes. "I honestly do hope that dueling can start up, but it really relies on the interest. I want students to be able to practice defending themselves, even if it's just against other students. Dueling must start somewhere and the best way for a student to defend themselves is if they can use things like Protego effectively, which can only be assured through using it against another person's spell." He then nodded slightly to let Tybalt know he had finished. He felt that he may have gone on a little, but he was passionate about students learning how to protect themselves, as he could knew all too well what it felt like to be helpless.
OOCOut of Character:
Just mentioning that the reason my post has been edited, is that the sponsoring professor has changed from Professor Kingsley to Professor Styx, so if there's any inconsistency, just ignore it. :p

The other stuff was relative, it was the food question she was really concerned about. However, the other stuff was interesting too. "No breaking, of course." She was pretty sure he was joking, but she couldn't help but wonder how much trouble he would be in if everything went to Hell and he was the one that had to take the blame because he was in charge. "So, how often will Professor Kingsley be here, watching over us and how often will you be here?" She knew the woman, because she was the Gryffindor Head of House, which was pretty awesome. "And it's good to hear about the food! Can't do anything on an empty stomach. Thanks, Abel!" And, once he had finished answering her other question, she made her way to the food table to stuff her face - in a lady-like manner, of course.

James slowly drifted away from Abel as yet more people entered the room - a popular club indeed thought he. As he wandered slowly across the room, not knowing anyone here: he had very few friends in the school, heck he thought, very few in Gryffindor either! As he moved, he caught the eye of the second person to arrive, Dominique he thought. He smiled at her, not recognising her. As she disengaged from Abel from another round of questions, James sidled up to her, and asked her politely why he didn't know her.

"Hey Dominique! My pleasure to meet you. It must be just my poor memory, but I don't remember seeing you around the dormitories before?"

After signing up for the SDA, Victoria Chase became more curious by the day regarding its new leader. Previously, her older brother was appointed as the leader of the said club and unfortunately for him, things did not go as expected. Victoria heard rumors that this new leader was actually more approachable than Benjamin and not wanting to be behind, she thought she would look for the guy by attending its very first meeting. The first time Victoria asked Benjamin who the newest leader of the club was, she merely received a shrug and an irritable grunt that indicated that she had to leave before he went all snappy on her. The second time she asked, he finally answered her that the newest leader was a guy and a pureblood. Typical, because Benjamin believed in the capabilities of purebloods than any other type of blood. The third time she pushed Benjamin for answers, he finally snapped and told her that it was a brother of Kialla Smith and naturally, Victoria's interest was piqued than ever. She knew the brunette had siblings but one in particular decided to join the SDA last year? Victoria was relieved the leadership was in good hands, since it was being handled by a Smith, but Victoria really wanted to see this new guy and what his plans for the club were. Dressed lazily in her uniform and some self enhancing accessories, she approached the entrance of the SDA and spotted a blonde that was near the food table and Victoria rushed to her with a sisterly fire in her eyes.

"Dominique!" She squealed and threw her hands around her best friend, who transferred this year to Hogwarts. This was her best friend, her long lost sister and definitely her other half. With the blonde, Victoria felt fearless and invincible and she could not help but squeal at the sight of the beautiful Grimm. Everyday, it seemed that Dom was growing prettier and prettier. It wasn't fair but Victoria shoved any jealousy aside, because she was not supposed to be jealous. In fact, the happiness inside her was so much that she felt she was going to explode! "Oh my god, you're actually still here! In flesh and still a Gryffindor! Slap me if I'm dreaming," Victoria said in a giddy fashion and she let go of Dom for her to breathe. "You joined the SDA too! Too bad you didn't witness Benjamin running it when he was still here." Dominique knew Benjamin and Victoria always thought that Benjamin looked out for the both of them as sisters. Vee knew her brother always treated Dominique warmly and she always wondered how the blonde thought of that.

Victoria bit her lip to keep herself from grinning and breaking her cheekbones. She looked around to see who the new leader was and little did she knew she interrupted someone addressing the crowd and a lovely shade of pale pink tinted her cheeks. He was a boy of slightly older years and with his dark hair and eyes, Victoria easily caught the similarities in his features with Kialla's. Her attention was suddenly averted to him and for two seconds, she forgot Dom was in front of her. "Wow," whispered Vee, her breath taken away quite literally. She managed to tear her gaze away from him and looked at Dominique with her mouth still slightly apart. "Is he the new leader? Holy Merlin, Benjamin was not wrong to pick him..." She trailer and looked at Dominique with a sort of dreamy look cast on her dark green eyes. He was gorgeous and not in an Adonis type of way. He was smartly attractive and Victoria felt her heart beat faster by the sight of him. "Have you talked to him?!" She whispered to Dom, thinking that if she arrived at first she must have had the opportunity to do so. Lucky her!

Dominique swallowed hard as the boy she had seen when she first came in approached her. Brushing crumbs from her face and patting her hands on her skirt, she smiled at the boy. "Hi James," she greeted, giving her a short, sweet wave. "No you're memory's sharp. I transferred here from Durmstrang - if you know where that is. I'm a fourth year." It had taken her some time to learn how to mask her sometimes rather strong Swedish accent, however she had spent a large amount of her time with her friend, Victoria, growing up, so she never truly carried a proper Swedish accent. But now, she was trying to sound like her siblings so it wasn't so weird with her Grandparents. "You're in Gryffindor right? What's it like? Anything I should know?"

Her eyes widened when a very familiar voice squealed her name. She held a hand up to James, telling him to give her five, and then turned to see exactly who she had been wanting to. "Victoria!" With her own arms wrapped around Victoria's waist, she squealed quietly and jumped a little bit. This was great. It was great to see Victoria again, and to be in the same house, and the same clubs. It was fabulous. It was perfection! She had her other sister back with her. She loved Franny, but Victoria was the one she wrote to, and told all of her secrets to. She released Victoria and grabbed her hands, squeezing them and giggling as her friend spoke. "I know! I've been in New Zealand for a couple months and was accepted! I was terrified they wouldn't take me or something." She couldn't think of why they wouldn't take her, however, as she had good grades and relatives in the school, but it had been a possibility that terrified her. At the mention of Benjamin, Dominique nodded, having been saddened that he graduated before she could come. She liked Benjamin, a little more than she should have considering her friendship with Victoria, but it was a crush. Vee didn't have to know about it yet. "Oh well, the new leader looks nice." She inclined her head to the older Slytherin boy, Abel. "He seems nice - and promises that there will be food. I'm loving it here." She laughed at Victoria's reaction, and nodded her head slowly, a grin threatening to crack her face in half. "Yes Sweetie, I have talked to him. I suggest you do too," she replied just as quietly, turning Victoria's body to face Abel and giving her a little push. "Show me some of the Lion spirit, Vee!" she added, expecting her friend's confidence to shine through. Victoria had always seemed to her a very confident person, and surely a boy wasn't going to strip all of that from her.

Dominique then turned back to James. "Sorry about that. It's just really good to see familiar faces. That was my friend, Victoria, we've known each other since we were babies. Do you have friends or family here?"

James smiled as the girl, Victoria, bundled into Dominique's arms. He always loved family reunions, even when it wasn't even his family. The two girls seemed to act as if they were family, and James felt a bit awkward having to witness the clearly intimate and personal moment. He shook his head slightly in wonder as he thought deeply about how girls could love each other, and still not feel awkward about it. If he and another boy did something similar, he would be so embarrassed that he would run away into the Forbidden Forest or something similar.

When Dominique turned back, the embarrassment had faded enough for James' original warm feeling to have returned. He shook his head in regards to her second question, but nodded to her first. "Gryffindor is great! You'll love it here, especially if Victoria is with you!" A small smile slipped quickly across James' mouth before it disappeared as he continued. "The food is great, i recommend getting to lunch early if you want to try it all! Oh and don't get on the wrong side of Cyndi. She's brilliant normally...but angering her is a very bad idea!"

Mathew was excited to be joining the Student Defence Association. Defence against the dark arts had not been his best subject at Hogwarts and he wanted to improve his defensive magic skills. Although not his favourite place to be normally, the part of the dungeon that housed the dueling chamber didn't seem to loom scarily as the rest of it. Mathew was pleased to see that there was a good turn out, it may even prove to be a good chance for him to be more social. Mathew scanned the room and looked to pick out the leader, he saw Abel and went over to him, "Hi Abel my names Mathew nice to meet you," He said friendly while scanning the room at all the other students who were talking among themselves, "Great turn out so far," He muttered without really turning back to the clubs leder.

Slowly James drifted away from Dominique as she started getting engrossed with Victoria, thinking that the two of them would need a little time together to catch up after the holiday.

As James slowly wandered around the room, trying to find anyone he could communicate with - he had no friends in the room, and had had to resort to talking to people he didn't really know. Just then, James saw a Third Year Ravenclaw talk to Abel, before the leader had to go and socialise with another person in the room. James, having nobody else to talk to, and noticing that the Ravenclaw was in the same predicament as he, ambled over to him. He extended a hand, "James Adams, Gryffindor third year. Want a cauldron cake?" James sensed that the boy needed somebody to talk to, so he continued "No friends here then? I'm in the same boat as you...we loners need to stick together!" With those words, James flashed a bright and cheery grin at the boy, hoping he didn't sound too weird.

Stella wandered down the bleak corridors of the dungeon, following the trail of lights. She was thankful that someone had thought to post directions otherwise she would've been hopelessly lost. Why didn't this place have any light bulbs? It would've certainly made everything a lot easier. At the very least, the dungeons would look more welcoming.

After navigating what felt like a million twists and turns, Stella found herself in a brightly lit room, a welcome change after the dark halls she had just wandered. Standing in the center of the room was the club president, surrounded by a mob of people. Stella felt sorry for him, but he seemed to be dealing with the barrage of questions and greetings just fine.

Spotting a table loaded with food, Stella made her way across the room and grabbed a strangely-shaped lava cake before settling in the back of the room. Were there supposed to be any announcements of some sort? Or perhaps they were going to go ahead and start practicing magic? That was why she'd joined the club in the first place. Stella was pretty sure that growing up in the Muggle world put her at a disadvantage when it came to casting spells. She hoped the SDA would provide the help she needed.

JT reluctantly made it to the Duelling Chamber where the Student's Defence Association meeting was going to take place. He had noticed the announcement at the common room's board and he had thought that maybe during these meetings he was going to learn a few things about defensive magic. Apart from the typical wand-lighting charm, JT hadn't casted anything else with his wand. This was still an achievement for a muggle born who knew nothing about magic a month ago. He might was clueless about the new word he had invaded but he wasn't stupid. People here were pretty much like his muggle school. Bullies were everywhere but these bullies could use magic to terrify their victims. JT hadn't tolerated bullies back then and he wasn't going to do now either. He had to learn how to defend himself and so decided to show up at the first meeting. When he arrived, the room was already filled with students. Mostly older but he didn't mind. They could teach him more stuff. He didn't introduce himself as everyone looked busy chatting with friends but he found a nice spot where he could listen people talking about something called patronus. He was going to make many mental notes for the next one hour.

Perseas sneaked into the room silently like a shadow. He normally liked the idea of dueling but the school wasn't running an actual good dueling club for him to join. Not at least for the past three years he was a student at Hogwarts. He never joined the Student's Defence Association just because he believed that people were there to socialize. He had never heard someone saying they were actually learning how to duel or defend themselves and Perseas had really limited time to waste on chit chats in the Duelling Chamber. However, this year he noticed a lot of students planning to sign up and he wondered if this time around it was going to be different. It heavily depended on who was going to moderate the meeting. Perseas didn't know the guy who was running things but he seemed eager. At least, he was discussing with a few other students about the Patronus Charm and not how he spent his holidays. Perseas folded his arms against his chest and leaned against a pillar as he observed the people there. He noticed Victoria chase there, his last year date at the Yule Ball and shook his head with a smirk. He didn't have to hear what she was saying to bet that the topic of her conversation with his friends was something shallow. At the other side of the room he noticed another Gryffindor. He unfolded for a moment his arms to wave at Victoire and folded them again as a smile shaped on his face. Partially, he had showed at the meeting because he knew she was going to be there as well. He was looking for a way to hang out again with her and this seemed a great opportunity. Plus, he could find out if the Student's Defence Association was going to present something worth his time this year.

Aliyah was so glad that the Student Defense Association was located in the dungeon it made going to the welcome meeting from her dorm in slytherin a breeze. It also meant that she had no excuse for ever missing meeting, not that she would. The first year was looking forward to this club. After having her first Defense Against the Dark Arts class with Professor Styx, she was not very confident about how much practice she would get this semester using her wand and SDA seemed like the perfect way remedy that. The young girl was also excited about the idea of dueling. Although she loved to watch Quidditch, she had no desire to play the sport herself. Dueling would be a much better way for her to engage in some friendly competition.

The Dueling Chamber was already buzzing with students by the time Aliyah arrived. She looked around and quickly spotted Abel fulfilling his leaderly duty and greeting people as they entered. "Thanks again for mentioning the club Abel." she said to him waving to him as she walked by. It was easy to tell the younger years from the older ones as the older kids quickly began chatting among themselves. Aliyah didn't mind it much. She decided she would busy herself at the snack table and loaded herself a small plate full of treats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back