practiceing

Pungahn Naihanchi

Pungahn grabbed her firebolt and mounted. she was starting to become better at flying her new firebolt, but still uncomfortable turning hard. she kicked off from the ground and did a few laps around the pitch at top speed...

Alex had just seen the notice that we can now fly around on our own. He ran up to his room and grabbed his firbolt and hurried back down to the pitch.

He lay his broom down on the ground and clearly yelled, "Up!" The broom jerked up into his hand and through one leg over it and kicked off. As he began to fly he made a kick turn to the left, leaned forward and took off. He began circling the pitch as fast as he could. Quidditch was about to start and he couldn't be happier.

As Alex flew on he started to notice a girl flying up a head. "Hey, what's your name?" he called out. "Are you going to try out for quidditch?"

Bruin had spotted the notice that students were allowed to practice flying on their own now...he hoped to beat the rush and get a few hours of practice in before others arrived...

He was a little disappointed when he saw two students already zooming around the pitch when he arrived, but his mood improved when he saw that it was his roommate Alex and Pungahn. Recalling that learning how to ride his horse Starbuck back home and how to play hockey (two of his favourite activities) had both caused him extensive bruising before they became enjoyable, he decided that there was no time like the present to master this broom flying thing...

Placing his hand over his only slightly scratched up Nimbus 2000, he was heard to mutter..."Oh well...here we go again...."

Pungahn slowed a bit so she could hear the person flying behind her. she heard him ask her name. "oh, hi. Im Pungahn Naihanchi. yes, i will try out. im thinking seeker, but would be happy with chaser." Pungahn looked down to see her new friend Bruin just getting started. "say, lets go say hi!" Pungahn suggested as she headed towards Bruin. "say, what's your name?"

Courtney ran out to the quidditch pitch and saw two her friends Bruin and Punghan. They were with a boy she recognized, but hadn't talked to personally. She mounted her broom and whisked up to the pitch to join them.

"Hey guys!" She screamed, they were quite far away, and didn't hear. Hoping to get their attention, she sped up a little. As she got closer, she screamed, "Bruin! Can you guys hear me? I was wondering if I could join you?"

Bruin had managed to grasp his broom on his second "Up!" command, which was a definite improvement over last week's lesson. Upon kicking off from the ground, he rose slowly into the air, hovered momentarily, and then lurched quickly to the right as he shifted his weight to make himself more comfortable. They really should make these things with a seat, he thought to himself, as he barely avoided giving the broomshed a glancing blow.

Steadying himself he eased forward and began to accelerate slowly towards Alex and Pungahn. He was surprised at how even the most subtle shifts in his body position affected the movement of the broom, but felt with a little trial and error, he just might get better at this. Perhaps, not become a great flyer, but competent anyways.

Bruin sensed movement all around him now. He knew that he would soon reach Alex and Pungahn, but he felt like something was moving behind him as well. Afraid to turn around and risk falling off...he slowed down and attempted to hover. A casual observer would probably wonder why Bruin began to lurch, spin, and turn in the same general area, looking less like a future Quidditch player and more like a gypsy moth with a torn wing with each passing second, but in Bruin's mind he was doing a fine job maintaining his position.

He awaited the mid-air arrival of his friends...

Approaching Bruin, who was a little bit behind the other two students, she shouted, "Bruin?" She didn't know whether he had heard her, or if he was focusing on something else. She decided she would speed up a little bit more, hoping to not get out of control.

Once Courtney was pretty much caught up to Bruin, she slowed down and said "Hey! didn't you hear me earlier? Nevermind. Anyways, can I join the three of you? It looks like they were having loads of fun. We all need to practice if we want to make any position on the team."

Courtney looked at Bruin smiling, hoping she hadn't startled him.

"Oh hey Courtney!" Bruin replied, "Sure, no problem...just make sure you signal all turns and don't fly too close to me if you value your own safety!"

Bruin looked over at Courtney and said with a laugh...."So do you want to race???"

Courtney's broom started wobbling she was laughing so hard at Bruin's comment. "Whoa!" As she steadied herself, her broom dipped down a little.

"You really want to try racing?" she asked Bruin. "Are you sure that it's safe?" Courtney was questioning her flying ability, she didn't know if she would be able to handle racing yet.

Courtney grinned, "What the heck, I say we give it a go. We're going to have to get used to these brooms sometime you know!"

Bruin looked at Alex and Pungahn as they were approaching and back to Courtney, loving her sense of adventure. Noting that the other two seemed to be a little more confident on their brooms than either he or Courtney, he decided to have a little fun.

"Ever heard of a game called chicken???" and with that he motioned at Alex and Pungahn and sped off, directly towards them.

Fia entered the pitch, holding a school broom. She had decided not to buy a broom until she found out if she made the team or not. She looked up and saw four students already flying. She spotted Bruin, his broom jerking a lot. She smiled. Then, all of the sudden. He zoomed straight toward Alex and Pungahn. She mounted her broom, afraid someone was going to get hurt. But when she saw another girl, Courtney, she thought her name was, zoom after him. She had a feeling the two had something up their sleeves. Fia glided in the same general direction. Curious to see what would happen.

Pungahn saw Courtney and Bruin heading towards her with more speed than she thought was necesary. she soon realized how unsteady they both were with their new brooms.

Pungahn suddenly got an ominous feeling that something bad might happen with the speed they were going and their lack of comfort with their brooms.

figuring she could catch them if they fell, Pungahn dived below the speeding pair and quick flipped around to fly at the same speed below them. "what are you doing?! don't go so fast if you aren't that good at flying yet!"

Pungahn felt kind of like a mother now that she said that, but it was true.

Courtney slowed down and laughed, "Oh you ruined it! We were trying to freak you out! At least thats what I thought Bruin's intentions were."

Elizabeth saw everyone flying. She raced up to her room, SO excited, and grabbed her firebolt. She needed to practice with it before tryouts!!!

Arriving down at the pitch, she called up, "Hey, mind if I join you?"

Surprisingly, at least to Bruin, he was able to slow his broom down and hover long enough to look at Pungahn and give her a disapproving look..."Show off!!!", he exclaimed. Unfortunately, Bruin made the mistake of taking his right hand off the broom to shake it at her... which, of course, sent him spiraling off into the distance...

Courtney saw Elizabeth had come to joing them, "Oh hey! I don't mind if you join us, I mean, I practically just got here myself."

Courtney saw Bruin falling towards the ground, "Oh my gosh, Bruin!" She started flying in his direction. "Try grabbing your broom again to control yourself!" She yelled to him.

"Thanks Courtney!"

Liz got on her broom, planning on slowly rising up.

"Whoa!!" she yelled, as she went much faster than she planned. "This firebolt is much fast than the broom I learned on."

Bruin considered Courtney's words...smart girl, he thought

Take your hand off broom and spiral away out of control...place hand back on broom and hover confidently in air....nice!!!

Bruin thought about his aspirations to play Quidditch and realized that he would probably have to let go of his broom at some point in the future in order to be successful at the game...

He looked around to see that everyone else was wisely keeping a safe distance from him, estimated that he was only 15 to 20 feet off the ground and considered his options...why not???

Bruin attempted to secure the broom between his thighs as he would have done had he been riding a horse and quickly released both hands. He reached for the sky and had just enough time to exclaim "Look ma, no hands!!!" before his broom reared back and tossed him unceremoniously to the turf below...

Taking a few moments to catch his breath, Bruin smiled and looked over at his Nimbus 2000..."You and I are going to have to learn how to get along!", he said sternly.

Courtney flew to where Bruin was on the ground. "Bruin, are you alright? I know you like to joke around, but think before you do something stupid like that. You could have been seriously injured or even killed!" She shouted at him.

"One of these days you are going to total your broom, you know." Courtney laughed, not sure if he was alright or not.

Liz flew down to Bruin. "Need some help?" she grinned. "Let me know if you want to jump on my broom sometime. It's easier to learn to balance with no hands if you're not the one making the broom fly."

Fia had been wathcing from a comfortable distance, but decided she wanted to join in. She flew towards the ground where Bruin had landed. "You guys mind if I join you?" she asked.

Liz grinned. "Of course! Flying with you is always a pleasure." she winked at Fia, remembering the room they'd found. Liz still needed to return there...

Pungahn had been watching Bruin making a fool of himself and laughed inwardly. "well, if you guys don't mind, i came here to get some real practice. anyone else care to fly instead of joke around?" With that she took off and flew in a weaving pattern towards the other side of the pitch. she didn't want to seem like she was abandoning them, but she didn't have all day and she needed to practice.

Kayla saw the notice that students were allowed to fly on their own so she grabbed her firebolt and ran towards the pitch.
She saw that there were already lots of other students flying but she decided to see if they minded her flying with them.
She mounted her broom and flew towards them...
"Hey guys, mind if I fly with you? My name is Kayla."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back