Patrolling after the kidnap

Avalon Traemore

Wand
13 3/4 Ebony Wand with basilisk fang core
Professor Traemore held her wand tightly in her grasp as she finally descended the last few steps onto the dungeon floor. It was not as dark and dismal as she thought it would be and this was a blessing in itself, making the observation of students and others easier. She walked briskly stopping occasionally to halt a student in their tracks. Many were rushing to get back to their house but could not tell her where their prefects were, just that they had to head back. Detaining them no more than was necessary she allowed the few she stopped to continue on.

Slytherin House was obviously down this way which made her think that her presence might not be needed here after all. The head of Slytherin House would be taking care of his or her charges down here surely. She lit her wand as she turned a corner and came to a slightly darker part of the dungeon. A slight sigh escaped her before she walked on, noticing the chill that crept up along her spine. The lack of students in this area told her nothing other than if any were found here, they had better have a very good reason.

Tom ran behind the new professor, and only just caught her up. "Mind If I come along?" Tom asked beaming. "Names Tom Fletcher, I teach Care of Magical Creatures" Tom recited extending his hand

Professor Traemore slowed her pace but did not stop. Smiling in Tom's direction before assuming her observation of the dungeon she extended her own hand to take his. Shaking it twice before releasing it.
"Pleasure to meet you Tom, I'm Avalon. History of Magic" she cast a sidelong glance in his direction for a brief moment.
"Did any of the other professors actually get up to go and patrol as well?"
Perhaps she was being unfair and too harsh on them but when such a serious matter as this one arose, it seemed the only logical thing to do was spring into action not sit about looking morose.

"I cant be too sure, as I left shortly after you did" Tom said, "Im sure theyll be patrolling somewhere else" Tom looked ahead in the dim light.

Avalon hoped the very same thing and decided to give the other professors the benefit of the doubt, though a niggling feeling that some of the professors hadn't chosen to do anything still lay heavy with her.
"How long have you worked here Tom?" she continued walking down the corridor stopping at the occasional door to check the room inside. So far nothing out of the ordinary.

"Not long, since the start of term" Tom said, licking his lips, "And you're also new aren't you?" He asked her "I only ask, becuase I haven't been out and about for a while, I've been stuck in my office, preparing my lessons" Tom said.

Avalon thought this professors observation skills were beyond low if he had not noticed the lack of her before now.
"I have only arrived today. A bad day to begin but never the less everyone has to start some day" she stopped by a door and checked the lock, finding it tightly bolted she 'noxed' her wand before flicking her wand with the 'alohomora' incantation at the door. The lock clicked open and she relit her wand once more, raising it high as she opened the door to check inside. Just a dusty room with rows upon rows of suits of armour. Bizarre, completely bizarre.

Closing the door behind her she relocked it before walking on once more.
"What do you make of all of this then? The kidnapping I mean" what else of course could she mean but for some reason she thought it best to be quite clear.

"Well of course its an awful tradgedy, and the kidnapper will be found and hae his or her comeupance soon. To kidnap a headmistress, its just awful though, how can people be so cruel?" Tom asked.

Chris floated along, through corridors, through walls, through everything. He was a ghost after all. He hadn't been in the dungeons in a long time, so he decided to go down there. There of course wasn't many people down there, but he did hear two people. A male and a female. He floated over to where the voiced were coming from. Floating through a wall, he appeared to the pair and said, "Greetings. I wonder, what brings you two down here to the dungeons?"

Avalon smiled wearily to herself before attempting to answer Tom.
"I don't know if many people would even bother refering to Death Eaters as people anymore, they have never needed an excuse before for being as cruel and malicious as they are so why change now?" her footsteps echoed around the dungeon floor but before they made their way much further a ghost hovered out before them, he greeted them and Avalon couldn't help but smile. She had missed this from her days as a student at Hogwarts Scotland.
"Greetings to you as well" she smiled at the spectre,"We are patrolling the area to make sure there are no students out of bounds or unsavoury characters where they should not be."

"Hello there" Tom said in reply to the Ghost. "We were talking of the kidnapping of Alicia. Isn't it awful" Tom asked the Ghost.

"Ah, I see. And yes, it is very awful indeed." Chris smiled as he looked at the people. They obviously weren't students, they were probably professors. That was his guess, anyway. "On a somewhat different note, it seems I have forgotten to introduce myself. I'm Chris. I would shake your hands, but... well, you know."

Professor Traemore smiled at the 'spirited' ghost infront of her, she enjoyed humour of any sort and welcomed it now. Especially after the madness of her first few hours here. It was hard to imagine she had only arrived here less than six hours ago. She turned around to glance behind her, convinced she had heard a noise but on seeing nothing turned back once more to the two men in her company.
"Well Chris it is a pleasure. I am Avalon Traemore" letting Tom speak for himself she continued on her patrol, taking care to walk around the floating man before her. It was perhaps a bit harsh of her but she found Tom's brief way of talking about a subject uniformly bleak. Maybe the ghost and himself would discover they had lots to talk about and she could continue with her searching of the dungeon floor. Though at this point she did not think she would find anything of interest which of course would be a blessing.

"Hello Chris, I am Tom, the new Care of Magical Creatures Professor" Tom said smiling. "So if you don't mind me asking, how long have you been a Ghost here at Hogwarts, but you don't have to answer if you feel uncomfortable about it" Tom said.

"Pleasure to meet you as well, Miss Traemore." Chris smiled and watched as she started patrolling again. Then he turned to Tom and replied, "Pleasure to meet you too, Tom. I've been a ghost here since the school started, I died in this castle long before it became a school for witchcraft and wizardy."

Avalon could not help but turn around and face or at least look at the ghost. So he had been here before this castle had become a school, there were many things she would like to know about this place why hadn't she considered the ghosts instead of the professors? Goodness knows at Hogwarts in Scotland they were more agreeable growing up to many of the students and professors and she had learnt many, many things from those she had come to know.
"Perhaps you'd like to join us on our patrol then" her smile stopped short before her eyes, she didn't feel as if it were right to be showing even the remotest bit of happiness in the face of this catastrophe and yet the spectre before her seemed to warrant it. Not knowing why she felt this, she abruptly turned away again.

Chris looked at Avalon and thought about her proposal. Finally he answered. "Well, I have no other business to attend to as of right now. So I would be honored to join you two." He gave a sort of bow, then started floating alongside Avalon.

Falling into step beside a ghost if it were at all possible to do, felt strangely comfortable. She knew that Tom would catch up, it wasn't like they were miles ahead or anything. Curiousty had never been one of her burning habits but she found herself now strangely curious about the floating spectre beside her. He seemed so much younger than any of the ghosts she had encountered at Hogwarts in Scotland, perhaps around the same age as herself and Tom.
"So what was this castle like before it became a school?" the dungeon before them seemed so much darker now so much so Avalon had to increase the power behind her 'lumos' incantation. Once this was done she ventured a quick glance at her companion before assuming the direction and pace of before.

Chris listened to Avalon's question. He smiled, he had been asked the same question many time before. Oh well, it mattered not. He couldn't blame people for it, he had a very curious side as well. So he waited a few seconds and responded. "It's always been a caslte, it's just served different purpose. Before this school was started, it was mostly a home to various people throughout the times. It was a home when I met my death inside it. Many dark, cruel things have taken place here. I'm certainly not the only one to die here. But don't think that it's just an all around evil place, many great things have happened here as well."

Avalon smiled and turned to see what was keeping Tom who was also remaining very mute.
"This is my first day here" her voice was steady as if talking with ghosts was the most natural thing in the world for her, had it really come to this though? Whereby her constant searching for answers had resulted in pushing all corporal friends away until all that was left were the spectres in her midst. A shudder ran through her as she turned to walk away down the dark and musty corridor.
"Was it your home Chris?" she felt it easier to ask him questions as she checked inside another room instead of opening herself up to having to answer any.

Chris looked back to where Tom was, but he couldn't see him through the black darkness of the dungeons. He turned back around frontward so he could keep floating on, though it really didn't matter because he wouldn't hit anything, he would just go right through it. "Yes, it was my home, that is to say that I lived here, but I didn't own the place."

Avalon didn't want to presume anything on his behalf. Whether he wanted her to know his history and how he came to still be here and not cross over, was his story to tell. She couldn't ask it of him at least she didn't feel she could at that point. He seemed so young, possibly about her own age maybe younger. The thought that he had perhaps had a violent death did not escape her and she shuddered.
"There doesn't seem to be anything or anyone down here. Does it go on much further?"

"You're right. And no, I don't think it does go on much longer, not this hallway at least." Chris said after looking around to find out what part of the dungeons he was in. "So tell me Miss Traemore, how old might you be? Oh, I'm sorry, I shoudn't have asked you your age, please forgive me." He realized that some ladies don't like to be asked about their age. He would have blushed, but he hadn't been able to do that in ages.

Avalon couldn't help but laugh she had been thinking of asking him only two minutes ago more about himself including his age when he died but it had seemed such a personal thing to do. Not for herself though, she had never taken any notice of the formalities that some women took to cover up their age, perhaps when she got passed 30 she might but for now she had no qualms about telling anyone how old she was.
"I am 28 Chris, not so very old in the massive scale of things but not so very young either" She stopped walking and turned around wondering what had become of Tom.
"I suppose we better retrace our route if there's nothing else to see here".
She knew she had been about to say retrace our steps but had luckily caught herself in time, smiling at how she was becoming sensitive to the feelings of a ghost, Avalon walked on. Did ghosts even have feelings?

"Yes I think we should ought to, there seems to be anarchists here, shall we go to the first floor?" Tom asked, both Chris and Professor Traemore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back