Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 10 Inch Flexible Laurel Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Estella couldn't believe it was her last year at Hogwarts, and that also meant it was her last year as part of the Hogwarts Monthly team. She was definitely going to miss it as it was her best distraction from everything else and something that she actually enjoyed doing with such a great team of people. The teen wanted this meeting to be good, or at least better than the one she held last year. She came not very prepared, but she was planning to just go with the flow, wanting it to be as chill as possible. Normally she wouldn't do this, but considering how the last meeting had gone, she hoped the team would be happy with how this one was going to play out.

Estella entered the room earlier than the others, setting it up as best as she could. She purchased some tiny pot plants which she situated around the room, and framed a couple of the articles that she liked most from the previous year onto the walls. She was proud of everyone from the year before and really wanted them to see that. There was also a snacks table in the centre of the room and some beanbags that people could relax on during the meeting. She figured the more comfortable everyone was, the better.

Once everyone had entered the room, Estella cleared her throat and smiled around at everyone. "So, how was everyone's break?" she asked, nodding around the room. She at least hoped their breaks were better than hers. "Welcome back, or welcome to, the Hogwarts Monthly! Last year during our meeting we discussed some things that we were passionate about. This time, I want us to expand on that. I often find that if I am talking about something I'm passionate about, it really helps me write. For example, a couple of years ago I wrote an article for the paper on top ten things in my wardrobe. Sounds boring, but it was one that I really enjoyed writing." Estella really wanted this meeting to go well and looked around the room, hopeful that everyone was following her. "What I'd like to hear from you guys is... what is something you guys are super passionate about? What really grinds your gears? Let's even have a little debate if you'd like. Bring up a topic, and let's discuss it. Who would like to go first?"

-------

OOCOut of Character:
Welcome to the first IC meeting for the year! This one is a little random but happy for this to go any way! Let me know if you have any questions ^_^

Margo had enjoyed her time on the paper last year and was eager to do it all again. She liked working with people to make something together that they could all be proud of. She also didn't hate seeing her name printed next to something she wrote either. She wondered what she would end up writing this year as she entered the club room a little early. Smiling, she waved to Estella and quietly took a seat. She pulled out the notebook her aunt had gotten her specifically for taking notes about the newspaper like a real reporter. Margo waited patiently as the rest of the club entered and took a seat too. She waved to Aine and Abigail as Estella began the meeting. Her absentminded smile faded as their editor continued and asked them to talk about something they were passionate about. She remembered how quickly the conversation got heated last time and she sunk a few inches lower in her chair. She was not about to go first and braced herself incase a real argument broke out.

Aine felt a little guilty. Well, a lot guilty. She'd been snarky to Celia in the paper meeting at the start of last year based on the election and it was pretty unjustifiable. She knew she ought to apologize, though she'd left it so long that either it was forgotten or there were no amends possible. She'd been busy with the paper too, last year, when people were busy with exams or sick she'd stepped up and written way too much for the paper, but keeping busy had kept her distracted.

Still, new year, new outlook. Which was immediately shattered by what Estella proposed. Probably a reaction to last time, she thought, drawing in a breath. She knew people like Margo and Abby were a lot quieter, less likely to feel comfortable putting an idea forward. But Aine had gone from intern to reporter and she was feeling a lot more bold. Or at least, projecting an air of it. "Well, I, um..." she started, wondering how bad this would go after her mindset of being nicer and getting along with people. "I'm passionate about modernising things. Bringing the wizarding world kicking and screaming into the 21st century if we have to. Especially with entertainment. Like, how is Quidditch our only sport option?" She could've ranted at length about it, but she decided not to get stuck in just yet, forcing her mouth shut. "Sorry."

Rhys had noticed he had been promoted to Staff Writer, which did feel pretty good. It was better than being a normal reporter, anyhow. Not that it actually changed anything and he was still planning on bringing the truth to things. What he was curious about was the next meeting, feeling somewhat uncertain as he took a seat, glancing between everyone else for just a moment before he looked at the editor as she announced what they would be talking about. What they were passionate about. Already Rhys didn't know what to say. But what surprised him was when one of the older girls started off with a rather... interesting topic. Already he could feel an argument coming from some people, somewhat trying to brace himself for the impact. Though he rather hoped he was wrong and things would just go nice and smoothly. It would be nice.

Charlie enjoyed being in the Monthly, it was always interesting. He was mildly curious who Estella would pass it on to, but he was sure it would be someone capable. Personally he thought Rhys would be a good choice for it. He brushed the thoughts aside though as he walked in and took his seat. He smiled at Estella's speech, looking around curiously to see who would speak. One of the other puff girls, Aine, started off with a really interesting subject. Charlie lit up.

"Yes!" He agreed immediately. "I love sports!" He smiled, leaning into the table a bit. "I mean, I love Quidditch, but this is a big school, we should totally do more!" He agreed immediately. "Sure, wizarding games alone there should be a Gobstones club or even Chess, I know it's not for everyone but it is a thing. And sure there aren't any like, other enchanted ball games, but why couldn't there be? We could reinvent anything! Or just play it normally, but come on, there has got to be more than just one sport. What about football, or soccer, or basketball? That's not even including things like rugby or squash or tennis," He ranted, really on a roll. "Softball, track, gymnastics, martial arts of any kind, I mean come on there is so much wasted potential!" He took a deep breath, running a hand through his hair.

The last thing Celia wanted to do was go to a Hogwarts Monthly meeting run by Estella. No doubt the girl would ask them to do crosswords or something equally stupid. But Celia desperately wanted the editor position, and while she doubted she would ever get Estella to like her, she figured she could at least prove that she was the only one with ideas worth writing about. It was truly tragic just how much wasted potential there was at the paper. They could be doing actual journalism, writing about school issues and holding the administration accountable. But instead, people were penning poems and submitting articles that sounded like research papers. Was she the only one who knew what a newspaper did?

Celia entered the newsroom and took a seat, folding her arms as she did so. She frowned when Estella explained the purpose fo the meeting. Who cared about their passions? Readers certainly didn't. They shouldn't ever be writing boring articles — even if it was about something they enjoyed. Celia considered objecting to the meeting idea, but she was kind of curious to hear about her classmates' dumb "passions." Maybe it would even be amusing.

The first person to speak up was the bratty Hufflepuff who for some reason thought a student newspaper was an appropriate home for listicles about pastries. Her answer surprised Celia. "Modernizing things" was a weird passion, but at least there was potential to explore the many ways Hogwarts had failed its students by clinging onto useless traditions. Unfortunately, the angle Charlie latched onto was sports. "The reason there aren't other sports at Hogwarts is because there's not enough interest among students to justify additional teams," Celia said dismissively. "Besides, what would a story about that even look like? 'Op-Ed: Hogwarts needs more sports options'? That's too vague, especially if you don't have an actual solution." Though Celia enjoyed complaining about the school in her column, she tried to include specific actions Hogwarts could take to improve. "Or are you thinking of writing an article explaining how different muggle sports work? Because that would be boring. No one wants to read a regurgitated encyclopedia entry."

Celia sat up straighter, already forgetting her plan to silently make fun of her classmates' passions. "If you want to write about sports, then you should focus on the problems with the existing system. The school's brooms are ancient, there's only one pitch where people can practice, and there are no coaches. How is the school supposed to offer other sports when it can't even afford to hire a coach for the Quidditch teams?"

Marnie had been so excited after joining the school newspaper. She'd been all ready for their first club meeting, focused in on decorating one of her notebooks to be her newspaper notebook, carefully tracing the letters for 'Hogwarts Monthly' and her name in a rainbow of ink colours on the cover before deciding she was also going to cover it in a galaxy of stars. And maybe a few planets? They'd been learning about all that in Astronomy, at least for what Marnie could stay awake for... Before long though, Marnie realized she'd lost track of time, hurrying quickly upstairs to the club room in a rush and hoping Estella didn't mind as she slipped into a seat just in time to catch what they were supposed to be apparently talking about.

Marnie could go on about her own passions, art, sewing, pink, colour changing charms, but the conversation had drifted into Quidditch, something Marnie wasn't sure she could really comment on but she'd give it a try. "I mean does it have to start as something you can turn into an article couldn't you just write about something you like and then maybe you can turn that into an article or maybe you just have a thing you got to write about all your favourite things even if you can't publish it that's still pretty cool to have. And I mean I don't really know much about sports but I love dressing up for the school Quidditch games I don't care who's playing it's just fun to be out with everyone all yelling like does that have to be about being good at sports too can't we just enjoy it? Same with the other sports and stuff I'd totally show up for any game well maybe not cricket you can't really cheer someone on for cricket but it's just fun to be loud and hang out right?" Marnie said in a rush, ticking a few things off her fingers. The Slytherin prefect who'd been talking had seemed all very serious about this all which was daunting but Marnie figured maybe everyone just needed a reminder that they were all doing this for fun right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back