Lost

Rafael Padilla

OOC First Name
Steven
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Aspen Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Rafael groaned the moment he realised that he had been walking in circles for the past couple of minutes. ''Crap'' the first-year said under his breath. He thought he had memorised the way to the Gryffindor common room when the Prefects guided the first-years to the common room on the first night at the castle, but here he stood, looking up and down the corridor asking himself whether he was supposed to turn left or right. Rafael knew that he would get lost eventually in such an enormous castle but had hoped that he would've been with someone else so that he would not be the only one panicking right now. He chewed on the inside of his mouth while he decided on which way to go next. He thought that he had walked through both corridors already but couldn't tell because of the many students walking through them. Not able to decide which way to go, the Gryffindor stopped the first person to walk past him and asked, ''Excuse me, would you happen to know the way to the Gryffindor common room?''

While the castle was confusing, Abian was starting to enjoy his time here. He managed to find something new and exciting every day. Like how the portraits moved, and how ghosts were apparently a thing. He wondered if he really needed classes to learn anything about this world. It felt to him like he was learning new things by just being here. He still wasn't entirely convinced he needed a wand to do spells, but moving his hands hadn't really been effective so far either. Maybe there really was something to this wand-business, even if it did look silly. He waved his wand around randomly as he walked through the corridor. He was hoping something would happen. Once, he was sure, he saw a few sparks. He just hoped he wouldn't accidentally set anything on fire. When a boy stopped him, he was sure he was about to be reprimanded for waving his wand around. But instead, the other boy asked a question. "I know where the common room is." He said. Then paused. "Wait, Gryffindor... that's not mine. Mine has a weirder name than that." He frowned. "Sorry, no clue." He shrugged. "Can help you look if you want? I kind of want to see what it looks like." He was pretty sure it wasn't allowed to even peek in, but maybe the other boy would let him anyway if he helped out.

For the briefest of moments, the Gryffindor was hopeful that he would eventually find his way back to the common room with the help of the boy in front of him, but then the boy said it wasn't his which brought him right back at square one. How in Merlin's name was he ever going to get his schoolbag and wand for classes if he couldn't even remember the way to what was supposed to be his home? He should have just made the map he had been thinking of drawing the second he had been able to do so, it would've come in handy right now. Rafael smiled lightly at the boy when he offered to help him look for it and said, ''Thanks.'' glad that he wanted to help Rafael out even if he did not know where it was either. He wasn't sure if the other boy was actually allowed into the common room but if they would find the way back there together, Rafael would not mind showing him around at all. ''I am Rafael, by the way.'' the first-year said, his Spanish accent noticeable as he introduced himself to the other boy.

Abian was sure he had disappointed the other boy when he said he didn't actually know where the common room was. But at least he had offered his help. "Maybe you should ask another uh... Gryffinthingy." He said as he looked around. "Like, is there anyone you recognize from your house?" Abian himself had gotten a vague impression of the prefects for Hufflepuff, but wasn't entirely sure if he would be able to recognize anyone else. The boy introduced himself, and Abian responded with his own introduction. "I'm Abian. Did you know about all this magic and stuff before getting your letter?" He was still searching for kids that were like him, as he figured they would understand how baffling this place was from his perspective more. "Do you remember if your common room was high up or not? Like, did you have to climb a ton of stairs?"

He knew the boy was right and that he should have probably looked for another Gryffindor to ask if they knew the way back to the common room, but with the entire corridor crowded with students walking to their lessons or other school-related activities, Rafael panicked and asked the very first best person he could find which so happened to be the boy in front of him. ''Not really, I only know the boys in my dormitory but I don't see them around anywhere.'' The boy said. If only he had paid more attention to the other students in the Gryffindor common room, maybe he would have recognised a couple of them and ask them for help. He nodded his head at Abian's question. ''I did know about magic thanks to my siblings, though I didn't know that this school existed until I received my letter,'' Rafael replied. A part of him still hoped that his parents would let him go to Castelobruxo or Ilvermorny but for now he didn't think they would let him. The Gryffindor shrugged. ''I remember we had to climb a lot of stairs to get to the common room but I feel like have done that already.'' He sort of hoped Abian could relate to his problem, though didn't know where any of the other common rooms were located in the enormous school. ''Oh, man, remind me to make a map of this place so I can find my way around the castle.''

Abian nodded in understanding, feeling for the other boy. “That’s probably why they point out the prefects at the house meeting.” He said, shrugging slightly. “But, honestly, who pays attention to that? Especially after eating so much and seeing so many new things?" He was lucky if he remembered who his head of house was. All he remembered was that she was a blond lady. He had to hope there weren’t too many of those around here. “Ohh, you’re lucky.” He said as the boy told them about his siblings. “I didn’t know anything. And I still kind of feel like i don’t know much. My cousin turned out to be magic too, but he’s old and already graduated school. He went to, uh, the one in Japan.” Abian couldn’t remember the name, but he was sure the boy wouldn’t mind. “I don’t think you climbed that many stairs, dude.” He said, wondering if he was the one in the wrong. “I think we’re below the Hufflepuff common room even… and that was on the third- no fourth floor?” He frowned, trying to remember. “Something like that.” The idea of a map was pretty cool though, and he looked at the boy with enthusiasm. “Is there a magic way to make a map easily?” There should be, in Abian’s opinion, but the magical world had been different than what he wanted or expected before. He was still a little disappointed that the train they had taken to school hadn’t flown.

He chuckled at Abian's words and said, ''Looks like I need a Prefect around me all day then.'' He agreed with what the boy said and nodded his head to let him know that. ''I really tried to remember everything but it's just so much to take in all at once.'' Rafael listened to the other boy as he told him that he did not know about magic before going to Hogwarts and shrugged his shoulders when he apparently failed to remember what the wizarding school in Japan was called. Rafael didn't know it either so did not mind Abian not remembering the name. ''If it helps, I don't really know that much about magic either - we are not allowed to perform magic outside of school until we're seventeen.'' The Gryffindor was annoyed at his sister for always bragging about how cool it was to be able to use magic without having to face the consequences, it made him want to skip all of his birthdays until he reached his seventeenth birthday. He groaned once more when Abian told him that they were not even close to the floor where his common room was supposed to be located at and let his head drop to his chest. ''I'll be lost forever,'' Rafael murmured. He looked up at the other boy when he asked if there was an easy way to make a map with the use magic and shrugged. ''Don't know, but I'm guessing there probably is.'' He didn't know that much about jinxes or hexes or charms himself but with magic having been around for hundreds of years, thought that there would be at least one spell that would allow wizardkind to make a map. ''Want to find out if there is one?'' he asked Abian, much more interested in making a map than finding his way back to the Gryffindor common room.

Abian laughed. "Maybe if we ask really nicely, one will take pity on us." He said with a small shrug. "Really, though. I don't think I could learn all this in seven years. I bet by the time I graduate I'll finally know the way." He gestured vaguely at the ceiling. "You'd think they'd at least put up some signs or something, you know?" The news that they would not be able to perform magic outside of school until they were seventeen was a bit of a blow. Though, vaguely, he remembered Efren saying something like that. Somehow, it didn’t feel real until now. “I wanted to show my sister magic.” He said with a slight frown. “Too bad.” A tiny part of him was relieved as well, though. If he did really badly and couldn’t manage to learn any spells at all, at least his family wouldn’t have to know. “I think she’s magical too, but she’s younger than me.” Aisa had been able to do similar things to him, which he now knew was accidental magic. Abian patted Rafael’s shoulder. “Look on the bright side. If you hadn’t gotten lost, you wouldn’t have met me.” He said with a happy grin. “I’ll probably be just as lost all the time, so we can be lost together.” He was happy to make more friends, and Rafael seemed like a fun guy. “Sure!” He said, agreeing to the idea of finding out how to make a map. He hoped it wouldn’t be too difficult or require too much time in the library. “What are you looking forward to the most about Hogwarts?” He asked, curious to see if Rafael knew about exciting things he didn’t know about yet.

Rafael laughed too. ''I don't think we have to ask them. One look at us and they will know we're lost.'' He wondered how many first-year students would get lost at the start of a new year, and how many would eventually ask one of their Prefects for help. He nodded his head in agreement to what Abian said. How in the world are they ever going to learn all where all the corridors are and where everything leads to? He was sure that seven years wouldn't be enough to have explored the whole castle. Perhaps there was also spell that would reveal every corridor and passageway in the castle. He smiled weakly at the other boy and said, ''Well if she's just like us, you'll be able to show her magic here at Hogwarts in no time.'' He grinned back at Abian. Getting lost was horrible but at least it had helped him find himself a new friend. ''I'm looking forward to a lot of things actually.'' the Gryffindor replied. ''I'm really looking forward to flying lessons and Defence Against the Dark Arts, but also to Care of Magical Creatures though I heard we won't be able to follow that class until we're third years,'' Rafael told Abian. ''Anyway, shall we head to the library?'' he asked.

Abian sighed. “I suppose so. We probably look kind of silly, wandering around.” He said, gesturing at them together. “But at least you’re not wandering around alone anymore. You’re welcome.” He teased, gently nudging him. Rafael’s words about his sister made him feel better, and he imagined Aisa being here with him and hanging out together at school. That would be fun! Maybe by then he would be able to show her around a little. Though, knowing his sister, she would want to explore on her own. She was already very independent. “By then we’ll probably know some pretty cool spells too.” He said optimistically, hoping that it would be true for him too. His eyes widened slightly at all the things Rafael mentioned. Flying? Dark Arts? Magical Creatures? He didn’t want to ask about everything, so he quickly nodded along. If he just went with the flow, things would work out eventually. He would learn about all these things in due time, he hoped. When Rafael suggested going to the library, Abian hesitated. “Well, sure. But promise me we won’t have to look at stuffy books for hours.” He said, glancing at Rafael. “I do know where it is, though. It’s close to my common room.” He was glad to at least be able to show him the way somewhere, even if it wasn’t to the Gryffindor common room.

Rafael grinned when Abian nudged him. ''Thanks.'' It was nice to know that he wouldn't be the only one wandering around the corridors anymore. Having another person there with him made him feel much more confident. He nodded happily and said, ''We will know the best spells.'' His parents had told him that they expected him to do just as well as his older siblings so he was going to study hard and learn all the spells the Professors would teach them throughout the year. He smiled at the other boy and promised him that they wouldn't spend hours in the library. He couldn't tell him how much time they would spend at the library as he didn't know what to look for but hoped that one of the librarians could help them with that. Rafael's smile widened when Abian told him that he knew where the library was located, at least he could still show him the way to something. He followed Abian as he led him through the corridors and to the library

Users who are viewing this thread

Back