Learning to Dance

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia had walked up to the Seventh Floor Corridor from the Great Hall, her dress billowing strangely behind her. She paced down the hallway three times, each time thinking to herself I need somewhere for Bruin and I to practice dancing. After her third pass down the hallway a large wooden door appeared and Sophia walked up to it.

Opening the door and slipping inside she left the door slightly open and stuck her hand into her dress in an awkward fashion, pulling the Time Turner to reveal that it had been around her neck the entire time. Sophia had thought it might be a good thing to have tonight.

Bruin made his way up to the Room of Requirement, having been here only once before, and that time to learn defensive magic. This time would be somewhat different, he needed a place to learn how to dance and was not surprised to see a door slightly ajar when he arrived. Bruin entered the room, having taken off his hood and antennae. The time turner already in his hand.

Bruin smiled at Sophia. "Alright, are you ready?" He was extremely nervous, but couldn't figure out whether it was using the time turner for the first time or the prospect of dance lessons.

Sophia looked up when Bruin entered the room and smiled softly. "Yes, I think so. Will an hour be enough time, or should we do more?"

Bruin returned Sophia's smile. "I don't know. I've never learned to dance before.", he said sincerely with no sarcasm evident in his voice. "Let's try an hour and if it isn't enough time, we just won't dance when we get back to the feast, deal?"

"Fair enough," Sophia said with a smile. She held the Time Turner up in her hands and looked at Bruin. "Here goes nothing." Watching to see that they turned at the same time she flipped the tiny hourglass on her Time Turner back one time and looked in wonder as the room around them seemed to move, yet stand still at the same time.

Bruin followed Sophia's lead and turned his time piece back one hour. It didn't feel vastly different, but he was excited nonetheless. "Alright, so where do you think we should begin?" he asked, noticing what appeared to be a stereo of some description and a selection of multicoloured boxes and discs that he assumed might be a collection of muggle and wizard music.

[I was posting as if we were in a spare classroom....I suppose I can go back and edit this to be the Room of Requirement.]

Sophia let go of her Time Turner and dropped it back down the front of her dress. "You are asking me? I do not know a thing about dancing other than what I have observed, which is very little."

(I just figured we'd use the room of requirement because we'd need a variety of music, a dance floor, etc.... it's up to you...)

"Oh yeah..." Bruin said sheepishly. "Well, I suppose that there is fast dancing to music that is upbeat, the kind of bouncing around stuff we saw downstairs..." Bruin paused, feeling a little embarrassed. ".... and well, slow dancing where you kind of hug each other and move around the dance floor together. So....what do you think?"

[I planned on being in the Room of Requirement eventually, I just had not posted being in it yet. I edited though, so it is all good now.]

Sophia listened to Bruin with a confused expression, hoping that it would all make more sense once Bruin showed her. "Well, if they are dancing to fast music downstairs, I suppose we should practice that first."

"Sounds good." Bruin said somewhat relieved, but strangely disappointed at the same time, confusion reigning supreme within him at the moment. Bruin quickly flipped through the selection of music and found something titled "Retro Dance Party" and put it on. A rhythmic, consistent bass line started thumping out of the stereo and although Bruin didn't recognize the song, it sounded like many others he had heard.

Bruin turned to face Sophia. "Okay, I think the general idea is to move with the music. Do you hear that bump bumb bump sound? Try and move to that beat." Bruin began to step back and forth, shifting side to side, in time to the music. It certainly wasn't pretty, but the general idea was there. He watched to see how Sophia would respond.

Sophia listened to the music, trying not to cringe at its oddness. She had never heard anything of the like before. She listened to Bruin's explanation, trying to find the beat of the song as Bruin was talking about. Her eyes narrowed as she watched him moving and Sophia tried to mimic his movements, not moving in time to the beat at all.

Bruin guessed that progress would be slow unless they were actually enjoying themselves. "That's kind of it, but I think we are both thinking too much and not just enjoying it. I think the idea of dancing is just kind of letting go and moving freely to the music, just have fun with it." Bruin did a funny little twirling motion, spun around, added a little hip shake on every second side to side shift, and laughed at himself.

"Now, that wasn't exactly good, but I don't care because it was fun to do." A slightly funkier song began to play and Bruin's interpretive dance movements, comical as they were, began to emerge.

Sophia was had been frowning, sensing that she was not doing well with the dancing. At this point Bruin began to do some actual moves. Observing him made Sophia laugh, much harder than she had ever laughed in her life. She tried to mimic Bruin's moves but her laughter grew and became so great that she had to stop moving as she was doubled over. She was trying to stop laughing, wanting to catch her breath, but was unable to stop for some reason.

Bruin was more than a little surprised to see and hear Sophia's reaction. He had heard the occasional giggle escape from her, but they were rare. He couldn't recall having ever heard her laugh so heartily. He was unsure whether to be offended, stop dancing, or simply keep enjoying the moment. The choice was easy, he continued to move to the music and waited for Sophia to join back in the dance or change the song.

"I...apologize..." Sophia managed to get out between her bursts of laughter. She finally had managed to calm herself down and was now able to breathe, her cheeks as red as Bruin's costume.

"I do not know what has gotten into me," she said, smiling quite brightly. Sophia was still moving side to side, her movements fitting in better with the beat now. It felt very strange to her, to move like this, and that feeling conveyed in how it looked. Her movements appeared as awkward as they felt, not fluid at all and quite strange.

"It's okay...if I worried about people laughing at me, do you think I'd have worn this costume tonight?" Bruin said with a smile, glad to see Sophia enjoying herself and taking some risks with her dance moves. "So, it ain't so bad, is it?"

Sophia smiled at Bruin, still attempting to dance. "No, I suppose it is not so bad. Well, at least not now. I am not so sure if I will be able to repeat this performance in the Great Hall..." Her smile faltered slightly and she looked away from Bruin, her mind beginning to wander.

Bruin checked his watch, surprised at how much time had passed since they entered the room. "Well, there's no pressure to perform for anyone. We can just go back down and watch the others look silly if you like?" Bruin said, wondering what was going through Sophia's head.

Sophia stopped dancing and looked over at Bruin. "Yes, I suppose that is true. Perhaps we can practice again sometime?" She had a hopeful look on her face as she awaited Bruin's answer.

"Sounds like an excellent idea to me." Bruin replied with a smile. "I don't think we are that far away from being passably good on the dance floor.", he added as he checked his watch. "Okay, I've got about five minutes after we came in here on my watch, so that should mean that we won't see ourselves when we go out and we won't have been missing from the party for very long." Bruin was pretty confident in how the time turner had worked for them. "Alright, I'll run ahead and see you down there...." he said with a wink, not quite sure why he was being all cloak and dagger about the situation.

"All right," Sophia replied to Bruin with a nod. She was feeling incredibly happy for some reason, and she was not entirely sure why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back