Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Matt ) ( Gay
Wand
Apple, 13 1/2 inches, Essence of Belladonna
The first thing Kyle always felt was the pain in his joints. It was only getting worse with years, tendons and ligaments protesting being wrenched monthly into a new form. In recent years it had started to settle into a deep ache, one Kyle carried with him everywhere as a constant reminder of his affliction. There was sunlight streaming through the basement's one window and falling across his cheek, warming his skin and pulling Kyle from his painful slumber. Breathing in the dusty, cool air of the basement floor, Kyle began the checks he always ran upon waking up. He didn't feel any particularly bad scratches or bruises, the way he was lying wasn't comfortable, but none of his joints seemed to be more strained than usual, his head throbbed, but it was bearable. Safe, then.

Kyle put off opening his eyes, sure the sunlight would only worsen his already throbbing head. Muscles protesting, he slowly pulled himself to a sitting position, yawning and hesitantly stretching. His right shoulder ached, and Kyle cursed his sleepy wolf form's frustrating habit of preferring to sleep on the floor than the somewhat tattered mattress set up in the corner for full moon nights. The floor always felt more inviting on full moons, and it was too easy to forget how badly he was going to regret the decision come morning. All things considered though, Kyle didn't feel too bad, just groggy. He rubbed his eyes before slowly opening them, blinking in the bright light of day as he looked around, taking in his surroundings. His clothes were folded on a chair by the door, but Kyle didn't feel quite up to standing just yet, taking a moment to just collect himself and wake up.

The morning after the full moon was always the worst for Kyle, and the worst for Matt as well. He absolutely hated seeing his husband in pain, and the fact that he had to deal with it once a month wasn't always easy for Matt. But the last thing he wanted was for Kyle to be worried about how he was feeling, so he was very careful about how he acted in front of the other man in these moments. He carried a tray down the stairs carefully, which for Matt was quite a feat in itself. He also carried a blanket, even though he knew it wasn't likely to do much good. Matt had the urge to make Kyle comfortable after these nights, but there was very little he could do when the discomfort came from within. He didn't look up until he stepped off the bottom step, only then did he trust his own sense of balance enough to look at anything but his own feet. "Good morning." He said softly, trying to hide the fact that his heart broke every time he found Kyle like this. He didn't look bad, all things considered, but it was clear that the previous night had taken its toll. And he was once again on the cold floor, which couldn't be nice. Matt approached and sat down next to him, knowing better than to expect him to get up anytime soon. The clothes would come later, for now he needed comfort, company and some tea. He placed the tray on the ground, then draped the soft blanket around his husband's shoulders. He then gave him a soft kiss on the cheek, and gingerly put an arm around him. "How are you feeling?" He asked him quietly.

The basement door opening rung through Kyle's mind, bouncing off his every thought, and it took a moment for him to realise what was happening. Looking up, relief flooded him at the sight of his husband. Of course, Matt was home today. Relaxing slightly, Kyle let himself let go of the worry that he would have to get up by himself. That, at least, wasn't something he had to worry about. He sighed in appreciation when Matt draped the blanket over him, pulling it closer and finding the strength to sit up a little more. As soon as Matt was sitting down though, Kyle gave up on sitting upright, leaning most of his weight on his husband. "Mmm... like someone rearranged all my bones while I was sleeping." Kyle mumbled, trying to joke away the concern. After decades of dealing with this, all Kyle could really do was find it funny. "Tea?" He asked, hoping Matt had thought to bring a potion that would help with his pain as well. He had loved Matt for a long time before knowing the man was adept with potions, but being married to a potioneer was a substantial advantage for someone with his condition.

Matt let Kyle lean his weight on him, wishing he could support his husband more than simply like this. He gently stroked his shoulder as he tucked the blanket more firmly around him with his other hand. He chuckled softly at Kyle's joke, deciding to go along with it. "Well, they did a good job, you look more handsome than ever." He joked back lightly, pressing a quick kiss to his temple. Then Kyle asked about tea, and Matt nodded, picking up the tray and showing Kyle what he'd brought. "I've got tea, some toast, and some potions that will help with the pain." He said softly, pointing it all out. "I know you're probably not that hungry, but you should eat something to recover your strength too." He said quietly, though he handed Kyle the teacup first. "Do you want a potion as well?" He asked him softly, picking up a small vial. Potion making had become a hobby for Matt after it stopped being his job, and it always made him glad to be able to help Kyle during the full moon, even in just a small way.

Leaning on Matt was always more relief than Kyle expected it to be, the comfort of feeling his husband's presence next to him helping him gather his strength. He chuckled at Matt's comment, shaking his head. "Like a handsome guy someone dragged through a bunch of dirt, maybe." He mumbled, taking the cup gratefully and sipping the tea. The comfort of a cup of tea always went a long way towards helping him pull himself together, and after a moment of sipping, Kyle nodded, sitting up a little more himself. "Please." He said, reaching for one of the potions. Relief for his aching joints couldn't come soon enough.

Matt smiled. "Still got me beat." He said softly at Kyle's words, gently stroking his arm. "I quite like the dragged through dirt look, maybe that's what attracted me to you in the first place." He said, gently tucking the blanket around him more firmly. He watched as Kyle drank the tea, happy that he was safe and with him right now even if he was in pain. He nodded as Kyle asked for a potion, and quickly uncorked one of the bottles for him before handing it over. "Here you go, this should help for a while." He said softly. "It won't taste very good, but that's the unspoken rule of potions. The better it is for you, the worse it tastes." He said lightly, still trying to keep the mood up by joking.

Kyle chuckled at Matt's joke, starting to feel more like himself as they talked. "Because I always look like I've been dragged through mud?" He teased, smiling wryly as he returned the teacup to Matt's tray. He accepted the potion when Matt handed it to him, laughing bitterly. "Why couldn't vanilla have painkilling properties?" He mumbled, taking a deep breath before trying to swallow the foul concoction quickly without tasting it. He endeavoured in vain, as always, pulling a face as he handed the vial back to Matt, but the taste was worth the relief that melted through Kyle, the ache in his muscles finally beginning to abate. "Merlin. That's much better. Thank you..."

Matt was glad to see a bit of color return to Kyle's cheeks, and with his jokes in return to Matt's he seemed to be recovering a bit. Matt chuckled softly, taking a sip of his own tea. "Because that would be too easy." He said with a small smile. He watched as Kyle took the potion, glad he managed to swallow it down even if he did pull an adorably disgruntled face while doing so. Matt was glad to see him relax as the pain faded, and he gently rubbed his shoulder. "No problem. In a couple of hours you can take a second one if you need." He said softly. "Do you think you can stand?"

Kyle chuckled at Matt's joke, shaking his head slightly. After so many years, Kyle had to joke about the struggles that came with his condition. He was fairly sure it would destroy him if he didn't laugh, and he appreciated immensely that his husband was able to understand that, and joke along. Giving his legs a test wiggle, Kyle nodded at Matt's question, stretching slightly. "Think so. I don't suppose you brought me clothes?" He asked, sighing in relief as his shoulder popped, releasing a twinge that had been bothering him since he sat up. "Probably should get myself at least a bit presentable."

Matt watched Kyle recover a little and was glad to see him testing his legs a little. But at his question, he paused. "Actually, no." He said, realizing with a start that he had forgotten that aspect. He had been so worried about Kyle's comfort, that he hadn't thought of anything past tea and blankets. "I knew I had forgotten something. We can use the blanket, for now? I think you'll look very presentable wrapped up in that." He said as he gave a slight smile. He hoped Kyle could appreciate the joke and wouldn't be annoyed with him for not thinking of the clothes. "Or I could dash upstairs to get some." He added hurriedly.

Kyle had taken for granted that of course his husband would have brought him clothes, and couldn't help but burst out laughing at the look on Matt's face. "Oh." Kyle laughed, too amused to be upset. "The blanket is fine." He chuckled. "We'll call it a toga, I'm bringing the ancient Roman look back." Kyle smiled, shifting a little and gripping the blanket around him with one hand. "Let's go upstairs, can you help me up?" He asked, extending his other hand towards Matt.

Matt wished he could turn back time so he could make himself remember to bring clothes. He wanted so badly to provide for Kyle and support him in a moment like this, but every time he seemed to mess up in some way. He tended to forget one detail every time, and he wished he would just do it all right in one go for once. Matt vowed to make a list for next time, so he wouldn't forget anything that Kyle needed. "Alright...." He said hesitantly. "But once we're upstairs I'll get you some clothes. Or your pajamas. I do feel like we deserve a nice relaxing day in our pajamas, don't you?" He said, trying not to show how annoyed he was with himself. He nodded. "Of course," then helped Kyle up gently and offered his support as they headed up the stairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back