Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Tristan) (Gay
Wand
Curly 12 Inch Rigid Hawthorn Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
It was strange, being on this end of the sorting ceremony. Vivian still remembered the nervousness and anticipation of his own sorting like it was yesterday, and he could feel the exact same energy coming from this new batch of students, but he was detached from it now, sitting and watching like a calm observer, probably looking to the new students like he was older and wiser, and had never been in that scary, vulnerable situation.

Vivian's thoughts were still on how separate he felt from such a familiar, frightening scenario when his own name rang out through the hall. "Brackenstall," The headmistress had called, and he sat up straight, eyes wide, petrified. Had there been a mistake? What if there had? What if he had somehow wound up in the wrong house, and he was going to have to go through that ordeal all over again? Be taken away from Tristan and Lumos and moved to a new house with strangers? How could they do that? He was on the edge of his seat, about to stand up in horror, when the rest of the name was read. "Lourdes."

Vivian dropped back into his seat but he was still sitting rigidly upright, shocked. What? Vivian knew he had his father's name, but in twelve years he had never encountered a single member of the other half of his family, never known anyone with the same name. And now there was someone here? At Hogwarts? Was she... a cousin? His heart jolted. A sister? He watched in awe as the poised girl took her place under the hat, and was quickly sorted into Slytherin. She swept elegantly past his table on the way to her own without so much as a glance in his direction. Did she know he was here? Did she know he existed? It was all too much. He turned to Tristan in shock, struggling to find the words. "That's..." He trailed off, still stunned by this new discovery.

Tristan was looking at the first years waiting to be sorted and smiling to himself. It felt good to no longer be the youngest at the school. He was pretty sure he had never looked as awkward and unsure as these kids were, though. Probably. Right?

His thoughts were starting to drift away to the meal that was about to start after the sorting, just as the name "Brackenstall," was called by the professor. That was funny, it sounded vaguely familiar to him. He didn't make the connection to his friend until Vivian half rose from his seat, looking petrified. Tristan resisted the urge to tug him back down, in case people would start to stare. But thankfully he sat down again as soon as the first name of the person was called. He could tell that somehow he was really shocked by this, and Tristan didn't really get it. "That's just a coincidence, right?" He said, trying to be reassuring. "I mean, it's not a common last name... but you'd know if it was a relation, wouldn't you? I mean, you don't have siblings." He frowned a little. "Maybe you can ask your parents if you write them." He said. He didn't know a lot about Vivian's home life, but he assumed his parents would know if he had any relatives around this age.

Vivian faltered and shook his head, struggling to find the words. Had he really never told Tristan anything about his family in the last year? He knew he tended not to speak much, and talking about the family was... difficult and painful at times, but surely he hadn't somehow said nothing at all to his best friend. "It's... my father's name." He said slowly, eyes still locked on the strange girl at the Slytherin table, completely ignoring his presence. "I've never met him. I don't know... anything about him. Or his family. I don't... know who she is." He trailed off, heart aching. Mum and Nana had always told him, in the kindest, gentlest way they could, about what kind of man his father was. A man who paid to pretend his son didn't exist. Vivian had been curious at times, sure, but he had never once actually wanted to meet him. But now... who was this girl? Vivian was torn between yearning and being terrified to find out.

Tristan was surprised by his friends revealing words about his family life. It felt a bit weird that they had been friends but Vivian had never mentioned it. To be fair to him, they hadn't been that close and it did seem like a sensitive topic. Not to mention, Vivian was a quiet person on his own.

But this new information did open up a whole new world of possibilities about the identity of this mysterious girl. Tristan craned his neck to look at her again, trying to figure out if there were any similarities between her and the boy sitting next to him. She looked regal but also pale and a bit like a ghost floating through the hall to her table. Tristan could see a weird similarity between them, but he couldn't place it. Maybe they way she moved? Or maybe he was just making it all up in his head, he didn't even know if she really was family. He looked at Vivian and shrugged. "It can still be nothing. Or ... like a far off cousin that doesn't even matter." He paused and shrugged. "Or maybe you can ask your mother? Write her? I mean, you have the right to know." He frowned. "Wait, would she know? Maybe you should ask the girl instead, though she doesn't look that friendly or approachable." He knew how shy his friend was. "I could go with you?" He offered.

Vivian pursed his lips and nodded slowly, tearing his eyes away from the girl and looking down at the table. He half expected that when he looked up again she would have simply vanished, like a ghost. It felt surreal just knowing she was there. Part of the side of his family he had never been able to even wonder about... "I... think that's the best option." He said slowly. "Mum won't know anything. She doesn't talk to dad. But I don't... know if that girl will... know anything about me either. I think dad pretends I don't exist." He ran a hand through his hair, sighing shakily. This... changed everything, and he didn't know exactly how yet.

Tristan could see that this really hit Vivian hard and that he also didn't really think there was any chance this girl was not related to him at all. Tristan felt like reminding him of that possibility was fruitless right now. "Alright. I'll go with you." He said reassuringly. "It's going to be fine, Viv. Worst case scenario is that she won't know. Or that she's not related to you at all." He shrugged. "Or maybe that's the best case. It would mean you can just ignore her from then on." He didn't really get the feeling she was very friendly, but maybe he was judging too quickly. "So... whenever you want to do that, just let me know."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back