Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual
Wand
11½" Cypress Wood, Unicorn Hair Core
After moving all of his things across to Hogwarts in light of being appointed to serving as one of the school's librarians, Danton finally found the time to venture into his space of work. He'd passed by a few professors and other members of the faculty body whom had been kind enough to greet him as he passed by. His feet brought him to the entrance of the library - where for a moment - he stopped to gaze eyes over the well-crafted and immaculately detailed stonework.

"Wow..." he breathed with a smile, hands resting on hips; taking it all in.

When his body willed him, he took another step forward, through the large archway that led into the vast and far reaching bookcases that towered; begging to be attended by inquisitive minds. Desperate to pass on the knowledge that they stored within their shelves.

Moving deeper in, Danton ran his index finger along the spines of a few of the books, tracing the lettering that had been engraved on their spines. His eyes glanced over some of the books he had become familiar with over the years - some going as far back as his years at Hogwarts Scotland - where he had regularly ventured to the library there with his fellow Ravenclaw study mates.

Soon enough, he found his way to where the librarian's desk had been situated. He noted the books that had been returned and had yet to be put away, a selection of quills and ink set aside nearby and a chair which looked ever so inviting after the significant amount of walking and unpacking he had been doing throughout the day.

He set himself down upon it and let out a relaxed breath as he leaned back in the seat, shifting his glasses from the bridge of his nose and massaging the bridge where they normally sat.

Alas, the sound of footsteps drew his attention and he set his glasses back in place to allow his eyes to focus on the source of them. The closer they got, the more detail he found in their features and their general posture and demeanor. Though, that did him few favors - for he was a new member of the pack, and anyone and everyone was an unknown at this point.

"Greetings and salutations." he smiled, shifting himself out of his seat and giving a slight tip of the head.

Although she mostly kept to herself around her colleagues, Maria tried to make a point of at least speaking with the librarians regularly. They all shared a space after all, and it was helpful to be on good terms with them. So when she heard Hogwarts had expanded their library team she made sure to keep an eye out for a new face, hoping it wasn't one of those staff members so young she mistook them for students. The new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor had been quite confusing to her all year.

To Maria's relief, the new face was one she could clearly recognise as not being a student, and she couldn't help a warm smile at his enthusiastic greeting as he approached. "Hi, I just wanted to come and introduce myself." She said kindly, hands resting in the pockets of her robes. "My name is Maria, I'm the school counsellor here. I don't know if it was part of your orientation, but the office at the back of the library is mine, it helps students get some privacy to see me if they can just tell their friends they're going to the library." She explained, glancing over in the direction where her office door was thoroughly obscured by shelves of books. "I just wanted to say hello, and let you know where to send students if they get lost looking for me." She smiled. "How have you been settling in so far?" She asked, hoping to start building a new friendship while she was at it.

During his initial meeting it had been mentioned to him that the school sported a counsellor. It had been amidst a long list of other things that had been cleared off with him which - if he were being completely candid - had been a great deal to retain amidst the excitement and chaos of moving a great deal of his life from the U.S to New Zealand.

He'd intended to spend no more than a few weeks down here, running his most recent show for the New Zealand Wizarding Arts Community; his successful stage-based satire titled 'Don't Ask Mum About Her Cauldron'. It had focused heavily on the wizard and muggle world running alongside one another and the hilarity that often ensued from dabbling in both.

The run had ended and generally had been greeted with positive reviews - and better yet - renewed for another run in the coming year under the watchful eye of his friend and colleague Boshmilda Butterstick; a figure of awe for many in the theatre community.

And yet now, here he was, posted at Hogwarts New Zealand for an indeterminate period of time and serving as one of the wise old coots that dared to offer guidance to the future.

He blinked back to the present, his thoughts swirling, but not so much as for him to not be able to cast them back into the back of his mind.

"My, my, my! I had indeed been told about the counsellor who shared the library space with us nerdy folk, but never did they ever tell me how utterly fabulous she was." he flattered, offering her a smile. "It's a blessing to meet you, Maria. And thank you for the run-down of how things work with the little ones seeking you out. I'd have been a bald deer-in-headlights if someone had come up asking to see you without it." he chuckled, giving his shiny dome a pat and flashing his best doe-eyed look.

"I'm Danton Burrows. But, please, Dan suffices. Just because my mother and father couldn't decide on Daniel or Anthony for a name, doesn't mean I have to flatter both with their combination of the two." he chuckled lightheartedly.

Absentmindedly busying his hands with some of the unordered parchment before him, he set them into a neat pile as he offered Maria's inquiry about his settling in. "Indeed I am, thank-you. It's been... Different to say the least. I haven't been in a school setting like this since my years with luscious lockes and in my unflattering Ravenclaw robes." he confessed. "It's nice to be back in a capacity that my knowledge won't be greeted by pointing and name calling though. Brains and book smarts in those days were a big no-no. And better yet, my dazzling wardrobe gets to shine this time too." he moved along, setting the parchment to the side and giving his full and undivided attention to Maria.

"And how about you Madame? You seem well versed in the going-on's of Hoggies. How long have you helped these little mischief makers through the hard times?" he inquired with genuine interest

Maria prided herself on not being easily flustered, but it was difficult to know what to do with such sudden effulsive praise. She laughed lightly, shifting her weight to her other leg as she responded. "I think my kids would have conniptions if they heard someone had described me as fabulous." She said with a small laugh. "I'm happy to help though, if you have any more questions about how things run around here that Stefan and Irene haven't been able to answer, feel free to drop by my office any time." She smiled. "If the sign on the door is green I'm not with a client, so you're welcome to come in."

Maria smiled when Dan introduced himself, laughing lightly at his commentary. "It's nice to meet you, Dan. At least it's a classy combination name." She said. She nodded with interest as Dan described his experience settling in, laughing lightly at the comment about clothing. "Oh, I never let uniform rules hold me back when I was a student, it was hardly the thing I was in most trouble for." She said with a small laugh. "I was a Hufflepuff back when I came here, though I was... not exactly a model student when it came to behaviour." A few years ago, Maria would never have been able to joke about her violent past, too busy desperately hoping that nobody remembered her for the person she no longer was. It felt lighter now though, after talking to colleagues who remembered her and acknowledged her change. Less of a strain. "I've been working here for... oof, thirteen years now. It's a good place to work, if... hectic at times."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back