Hollie's Birthday!

Hollie Ridley

Wand
'Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather'
Hollie woke up that morning with a huge smile on her face - today was her 13th! She couldn't believe how quickly the year had flown by! Her calendar was hung up above her bed and the date September 12th had been highlighted and circled and doodled on so it was unreadable. She beamed as she saw the huge pile of pressies at the foot of her bed, and marvelled at how Snowie and other owls had sent them to her. She closed her eyes and let the happiness soak in - she was 13!
Oh my gosh, she thought, as she began to tear at her pressies from her family. The fact that there was a small parcel from her mother was a gift in itself, let alone the beautiful photo frame inside it. There was a small note attached to it.

To Hollie. said:
My dear Hollie,
I have many things to say to you. First is,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
I will send you a letter with more detail, but basically I have decided to drop the case for custody over you and your siblings as I have realised you wish to stay with your father. Shelby and Nikki will keep Henry and I company.
I am sorry to have done this dreadful deed to you but believe me when I say it's all for the best and I love you, deep down.
Have a great birthday and I hope to see you soon, this time smiling.

Love,
Mum x
Hollie read the letter over again and again, and beamed. She didn't believe for one moment that it was for the best, but she was too happy to worry about that now. She was living with her dad! It was final! And her mum loved her after all! All on her birthday!
She finished opening her pressies and then dressed at the speed of light. She arranged her gifts in a decorative order and left the dormitory for breakfast.

Hollie arrived in the Great Hall early, and made her way to the Gryffindor Table, wondering when others would begin to arrive. She sat down and waited, a huge smile all over her face.

Harri walked down to the Great Hall, today was Hollies birthday and in her hand she clutched two chocolate frogs, two bertie botts every flavour beans, a muggle balloon that said '13 today', and a cake her dad had enchanted to make it last longer. It was chocolate with chocolate butter icing saying 'happy birthday hollie', she had also made a card for her with a hand drawn picture of her and Holie on the front. She hoped the presents were okay, not much after all. "HAPPY BIRTHDAY HOLLIE!" she yelled as soon as she stepped through the door, laughing as everyone turned to stare at her.
She walked over placing the cake down and handing hollie the ballon and presents. "How do you feel, your a teenager!" she said grinning as she sat down next to her.

Kate walked into the great Hall and saw Hollie sitting at the Gryffindor table with Harriet Turner. Running over she gave Hollie a big hug and presented her present. "Happy Birthday!" She called happily as she handed over the neatly wrapped pack of sugar quills and a blue quill for writing. Grinning broadly she sat down as Hollie ha already told her she could do and smiled, watching Hollie's reaction.

Hollie gasped at the amount that Harri was carrying as her friend walked towards her. She laughed at the huge greeting and hugged her friend, taking the presents as Harri gave them to her.
"Urm... not much different, to be honest, it's all rather huge! Oh my gosh you've bought loads, thank you so much!" Her eyes welled up with emotion at the amount Harri had bought. She tied the balloon to the benches they were sat at and started opening the pressies.
"Wait... do you want me to open them now?" She asked, her smile stretching from ear to ear. She had never expected this much!

Then, to top things even more, Kate walked over. "Thanks," Hollie said, embracing her friend. "Do you want me to open these now?" She asked, as she took the presents and added them to her small pile on the table. She beamed as she sat sandwiched in between two of her best friends. She had never expected such an awesome birthday!

Hollie nodded, beaming. She took Kate's parcel and tore at the neatly wrapped paper. It seemed a shame to rip it, but it was about the gift not the wrapping paper!
Hollie's mouth fell open as she saw what was inside - sugar quills and a new blue quill! She loved them!
"Oh my gosh, I love these sugar quills!" She said, her eyes shimmering with happiness. "You gave me some for Christmas, and they were sooooo nice! And a blue quill - I was going to buy one from your dad's shop, but decided to wait for my next allowance! Aww, thank you!" She gave Kate a brilliant smile and hugged her hard. Then she turned to Harri, to see if her friend wanted her to open her present then. She was overcome by the amount of gifts and couldn't believe Harri's cake - it was sooo kind of her! And the balloon!

Harri grinned "Of course you can open it now silly," she said laughing.
She smiled as Kate joined them, "Oh wow, nice quill!" she said smiling at Kate.
"Ah its nothing, I couldn't really spend alot so I got what I could," she said embaressed a little that her presnet was so small, she looked at the wrapped present of two chocolate frogs and two bertie botss every flavour bean and hoped Hollie understood she didn't have too much money lately.

Steph ran down the stairs, Hollies gift in hand, towards the great hall.

She got down to the great hall and ran over to the gryffindor table, where she saw Hollie, Harri and Kate Johnson, Steph spotted Hollie and went to her, 'Happy Birthday chick!' Steph sqealed, handing her the gift, it was a

'Here,' Steph said, handing Hollie the package, inside was Gryffindor socks, a gryffindor pen, a spotty photo album, with a picture of Steph and Hollie on the first page, and a 1970 variety box of candy.

'Hi everyone,' Steph said to Harri and Kate, with a smile.

"Hey Steph," Harri said grinning as her friend came over, "Oh I've been meaning to talk to you actually," she said as the thought popped into her mind. "I'm thinking, me you wheelbarrow race?" she said laughing, "I bet we could win it!" she said laughing.

'Oh my gosh, that would be awesome.' Steph laughed, 'Sure, ive never been in a wheelbarrrow race, so you better give me tips.' She grinned.

"Great," Harri said happily, "Well you have to be the wheelbarrow, your the smallest," she said sticking her toungue out childishly.
"It should be a laugh though," she said happily, "You two should do it too!" she said to Hollie and Kate.

Annamarie ran down the stairways to the Great Hall trying to avoid knocking over first years who were wandering the hall. I am sooo late... she thought as she round the large door at the front of the hall. She spotted Hollie, Harriet, and Steph at the Gryffindor table with a Hufflepuff Annamarie hadn't met yet but had seen in class. "Hey guys..." she said breathlessly but smiling nevertheless. "Happy Birthday Hollie!" she said giving her friend a hug. "I made this for you." She handed her a homemade birthday card. I was made with red parchment and she wrote a short messege in gold ink. "My grandma is mailing your present...sorry it didn't make it in time." she said apologetically.

Kate grinned at Harri. She understood. She felt a little out of place at the Gryffindor table but was delighted that Hollie had invited her. Watching as Steph and Annamarie arrived she smiled and replied to Harri's comment. "I think Hollie would be great! But I wouldn't ever do it. I am too shy." She said quietly and then added, "That is why i am not in Gryffindor. I may have a big heart as the sorting hat said, but i definitley need to work big time on my courage!" She giggled. She knew this was her major downfall and was trying to work on it. But for her, the wheelbarrow race would be pushing it. She had only just got use to answering questions infront of the class in lessons!

Annamarie smiled as Kate talked. "Aww...I bet you have plenty of courage. You just haven't found it yet. I'm Annamarie by the way. I know I have seen you around but I have never actually met you." she said giving her a kind smile.

[[before i embarrass myself trying to catch up with all your wonderful posts, I will just say I haven't been on for AGGGESSSSS and therefore am slightly behind. I nearly forgot Hollie's birthday - I mean, how?? :p ]]

Hollie laughed at Kate's comment.
"Aww, thanks," she said, smiling. She looked at Harri cheekily and tore open the parcel.
"Oh my gosh, I LOVE chocolate frogs!" She practically yelled. "And Bertie Botts' Every Flavour Beans - I've actually had good luck with these. No bad ones - yet." She grinned appreciatively at her friend. "Thank you so much," she said, "and for the cake and balloon - it's really kind of you." She adored the card and found it touching. "And I don't know how many times I tell you this, but you're amazing at drawing," she added, warmly, placing the card with the sketched picture of the two friends down on the table.

Hollie beamed as Steph arrived, and took the gift with thanks.
"Aww, thank you," she said, tearing the package open. She gasped at what was inside. A pen, socks, a photo album - a gorgeous photo album - and a box of candy. "Oh my gosh Steph," she whispered, looking at her friend, immensly moved. "Thank you so much!" She couldn't believe the generosity everyone had.

She laughed at the wheelbarrow race, remembering she was supposed to have signed herself and Annamarie up.
"Definitely," she grinned, in response to Harri. "I think me and Annamarie were gonna have a whack at it, and I suggested Kate did to, but you were a bit reluctant, right?" She winked at her friend, understanding completely the hesitancy. It could either make you look like a complete laugh, or a complete fool.

Annamarie arriving made the event even more special to the already-overwhelmed Hollie. She hugged her friend back hard and gave her a brilliant smile.
She took the card and smiled. "This is gorgeous," she said, gratefully. "Thank you so much!" When Anna apologised, she shook it off. "Nah, don't worry at all. You didn't have to get me anything - just being here is enough! I don't mind, that's fine. Tell your grandma not to rush or anything." She winked at her friend.

Hollie was very interested in Kate's response to Harri's question. "You have loads of courage," she added, to Annamarie's wise words. "You just need to dig deep and find out where you're most confident and with whom." She smiled happily. Wow, today was going great.

"Harri, I have something to tell you," she whispered, remembering her mother's letter. She passed her friend the note where she'd underlined the bit about her mother. "She's dropped the case!" Her voice was full of excitement and pleasure. She didn't know if her day could possibly be any better!

[[sorry for the essay but everything you said was valued and hollie needed to comment on it all!]]

Harri grinned, "Fantastic!" she said happily as Hollie said she liked them. She watched as Hollie opened the presents from Steph, smiling the presents looked fantastic!
Harri read the note that Hollie passed her, "Wha.." she began, "Oh my gosh! Thats fantastic!" she squeled, "Seriously, thats great Hollie! I'm so happy for you," she said giving her a huge hug. "I bet that was the best birthday present!" she said happily.

((Don't worry! :p ))
Kate smiled happily as she watched Hollie's reaction. "I am still not sure." she added when they discussed her courage. Smiling warmly at Hollie, Kate suddenly felt out of place. Sitting at the Gryffindor table when she was a Hufflepuff. She knew everyone quite well but she still felt a little hesitant.

Hollie beamed back at Harri. "Definitely!" she squealed. "I didn't know my best present would be from my mother - I mean, i obviously enjoyed all my gifts, but the knowledge of knowing I can stay with my dad and have free will is immense! It's even making me think she might not be so bad, and I could go and stay with her for a weekend sometime." She looked at Harri, seeking advice. "I mean, not too quickly, of course. But in time?"

Hollie then noticed Kate was looking slightly hesitant. She frowned, not knowing what to say. "Hey, Kate, are you ok?" she asked, concern mounting. She desperately wanted her friend to feel in place, and she didn't want to suggest she went back to the Hufflepuff table, because it may look like Hollie was using her. "Thanks for your gifts, they're really nice," she added, again, to try and lift the spirits.

"Of course you should," Harri said, "I mean she's your mum right? A few weekends with her would be awesome for you," she said, she wished it as the same with her mum but she knew that wasn't possible, her mum was too selfish for anyone else, even her own daughter. "Kate you okay?" she echoed Hollies concern, she didn't want the younger girl to feel out of place, afterall she wasn't out of place it was Hollies birthday and she had been invited.

Kate nodded and thought to herself, I had better find a better way of disguising it. I don't want to ruin it for Hollie. Deciding to reply she added, "I was just thinking how wierd it is. I mean, seeing Pat and Bia over on the Hufflepuff table and me over here. Its just a little strange. But great! I never thought that i would ever sit here! I hope you like the quill Hollie, i mean i know that with your job at Scrivenshafts you get everything free, but i thought you would like it." She said quietly. Buying people presents had always been one of her down falls as she never really knew what they would want. She had thought that she would probably want a new quill and some edible ones as Hollie was always writing in Charms!

Hollie nodded thoughtfully to Harr's response.
"Yeah, I guess," she said, biting her lip with hesitation. "But she was never a great mum before, and I couldn't stand being around Shelby and Nikki, and leaving dad." She paused. "But for a weekend, I guess I could. It wouldn't be forever." She tried to figure things out in her mind without giving her opinion aloud.

Hollie smiled sympathetically at Kate.
"If you want, you can go and join them," she said, graciously, not wanting Kate to feel odd. She really wanted her friend to stay, but she wouldn't sacrifice Kate's happiness for her own wishes. "Or if you want, you can invite them over here." She couldn't see how Kate could be thinking along those lines - it was only lunch! And she'd spent a few days of her summer holidays in a house with three hufflepuffs. Still, Kate would have her reasons.

"I LOVE the quill, silly!" She said, grinning. "It means that whilst I am pretending to take notes, I can be sucking on the end of my edible quills, and nobody will notice that I'm enjoying a snack." She laughed. "And because you gave them to me, you can share," she added.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back