Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Sturdy Vine Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
HOGWARTS MONTHLY: Y40 SEMESTER 1 ISSUE
tumblr_pbguiq4L0x1w1znofo1_500.gif

Welcome One and All!

By: Estella Fuentes
Welcome to the first Hogwarts Monthly issue for the year! This year Hogwarts New Zealand gained 47 new first years who were all sorted pretty evenly amongst the houses. With a new year also comes new professors. We welcome Professor Noelle Maxwell, a former Hufflepuff student at the school, who is now teaching the upper years Defense Against The Dark Arts classes. We also welcome Professor Hallie Miller who is teaching the lower years potions classes.

Last year we had to say goodbye to Professor Kalif Styx, who had been teaching at Hogwarts for longer than some of us have been alive probably, and so this meant a new Slytherin Head of House was chosen. We would like to congratulate Professor Angel Castillo on his promotion! We look forward to seeing how he takes on his new role.

And lastly, a new year also brought us a very successful club fair, with plenty of new members joining clubs to make friends and gain some new experiences. If you haven’t joined a club yet, it certainly isn’t too late! Please don’t regret missing the opportunity!

So I welcome you to the first Hogwarts Monthly issue for the year in hopes that it finds you well. Enjoy reading, and have an excellent holiday break before the new semester.
Op-Ed: The Most Important Professor at Hogwarts

By: Celia Vuong
The Quidditch Quip

By: Elara Chatelain
Who is the most important professor at Hogwarts?

It's not your Charms or Transfiguration professor, even though they will teach you most of the basic spells you'll need to know. It's not your DADA professor, even though they will teach you how to defend yourself. It's not even your Divination or Ancient Runes professor, even though they will teach you to predict the future.

It's your Head of House.

Your Head of House was likely the first professor you met at Hogwarts and may be the last one you see before you leave. While you'll have at least two different professors in any given subject (barring Astronomy), you're supposed have the same Head of House for all seven years. If you need career advice, you're directed to go to them. If you get in trouble, they'll likely decide your fate. They pick prefects and house furnishings. They live next to your dorm and oversee house activities. Even if you go all seven years without ever speaking to them, your Head of House will make decisions that affect your life at Hogwarts.

That's why it's appalling that the newest Head of House was chosen with zero student input.

Let's be clear. This article is not about whether Professor Angel Castillo should have been chosen as the Slytherin Head of House (though it is interesting that the administration picked a non-Slytherin for the position). He has only held the position for a semester, and it is too early to make any judgements there.

However, the manner in which he was selected deserves scrutiny. It should not have come as a surprise to Slytherins that Castillo would be their new head. They should have been involved in the hiring process from the very start.

Of course, the administration has the final say over all hiring decisions. But before that decision is made, Hogwarts should have asked Slytherins what they wanted from their new head. The administration could have asked all the candidates to spend a day shadowing former Slytherin Head of House Kalif Styx and interacting with students in the common room. They could have held panel interviews between the candidates and small groups of randomly selected students. At the very least, the administration could have surveyed the Slytherin prefects.

Some might argue that the current hiring process—one in which the administration calls all the shots without consulting students—works for regular positions. But the Head of House position is special. The professors who serve in those roles don't just act as teachers, but mentors, advisors, even parents. A person's house has an enormous amount of influence over their Hogwarts experience, and the heads in turn have an enormous amount of influence over the houses.

Students deserve to have a say in who gets to wield that power.
This semester, we had a round of unexpectedly victories and losses once again. Ever since Slytherin lost its dictatorship (basically) over the Quidditch Cup, the fight has been open to any house!

Our first game started with Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff going at it. Both teams have some unforgiving beaters with Captain and Head Boy Connor Holland and Tilly Drage representing Hufflepuff, and Student Defense Associations’ Co-President Juniper Zumwalt and Finn Madison waving the blue flag. Hufflepuff initially claimed the quaffle, with second year Leonardo Orr quickly failing to score against seasoned Keeper Sawyer Carnahan.

Madison started Ravenclaw off strong by getting a hit in against Puff Chaser Blair Bianchi, followed shortly after Zumwalt making contact with Seeker Lucas Fletcher. Xiuying Huang snagged the quaffle again for Ravenclaw, as they quickly took over the game. Only to break the merriment was Drage hitting Captain Zumwalt and Huang’s failed attempt at scoring. The moment after, underdog and newly minted seeker Hamish Reid snatched the snitch, securing a much needed victory for Ravenclaw and knocking Hufflepuff off their pedestal.

The second game brought about some large rivals with Gryffindor versus Slytherin. New Captain Liusaidh Fergusson led her snakes to victory, even after Gryffindor scored multiple times with the quaffle AND took out their seeker Ivelisse Burleigh. Somehow Alternate Seeker and second year quickly caught the snitch. Some are speculating that performance enhancing potions may have been used by the snakes, but this reporter knows those are strong allegations. However, you can never help but wonder…

Until next semester when we see Slytherin and Ravenclaw compete for the cup and Gryffindor and Hufflepuff duke it out for third, I’m Elara Chatelain. Lock up your bludgers!
Image+2.gif

Halloween Feast!

By: River Hopkins-Vance
Happy Halloween to my witches and wizards out there! It was a wonderful celebration had by all, minus those few trouble makers. Isn't that what mischief night in the muggle world is for? hmmm. Not naming any names of course. You know who you are. Moving on...

Overall, the holiday was a great success! The Great Hall was decorated in amazing fashion as always. A huge shout out to the wonderfully scary dressed house elves that made the holiday their own! The food was amazing. You all know the jump scare that makes the holiday true if you tried one of those leaping spider cupcakes.

The costumes were ablaze with creativity! Walking through the Great Hall, I saw costumes of amazing skill. There were couple costumes that could only been said to spent weeks of work and individual costumes that brought all the cuteness and scary nature of the spooky season.

Hopefully you didn't miss the wonderful activities that this season provided. Whether you love bobbing for apples or a scary haunted house, this feast had it all! Tune in next year! We all know the headmistress and the professors love to outdo themselves!

COSTUME CONTEST WINNERS!
Best: Niamh Eriksen - A Moth

Best Magically Enhanced: Liusaidh Fergusson - Motion Blur

Scariest: Casper Beckett - Skeleton King

Best Group: Oscar Davies & Rosemarie Chatwin - Fly & Flytrap

Most Ridiculous: Giulia Alcott - A Pasta Portrait

Most Traditional: Molly & Nolan Burke - Sheet Ghosts

Congratulations to all the costume contest winners!
"If you could choose your Head of House, which Professor would it be?"
By: Giulia Alcott
3fd5c6ea97f076af6445087ef4d4f093563b7406.png
Gryffindor First Year
"Oooooh, who is the coolest professor in this school? Maybe Professor Holland? She seems kinda fun, or maybe Professor Summers?"
Niamh Eriksen
Hufflepuff Second Year
"Why do we have to have Heads of House. Some people get on better with one than another. I may want to talk to one Professor about one problem but a different one about something else."
Charlie Helkovaara
Hufflepuff Third Year
"What? Um... Professor Corrins, I guess? She's really nice, she would be a good Hufflepuff? And she's always offering extra lessons and stuff..."
Ryder Sanderson
Slytherin Fourth Year
"Honestly I don't think we even need Heads of Houses. I guess Professor Corrins since Charms is one of the few cool subjects."
3e6d16f9380ca071d962463971439404c40afa68.png
Gryffindor Fifth Year
"Professor Drage or Professor Haden, they both seem to know what they're doing and they teach actually useful subjects."
Theodore Hoshino
Ravenclaw Sixth Year
"Professor Kahurangi Josephs is the best HoH I've ever had and I wouldn't DREAM of picking another Professor."
Sebastian Kane
Slytherin Seventh Year
"Why would I change it? It doesn't matter at all, they are just sitting in their offices and acting like anything they say matters."
Professor Lydia Drage
Defense Against the Dark Arts Yr 1-4
“Obviously, Vex. Don't tell me it has to be a Professor..."
Spotlight Interview: The New Slytherin HoH

By: Rhys Garner
Horoscopes

By: Poppy Perkins
This semester I was lucky enough to get to sit down for a quick chat with the new Slytherin Head of House, Professor Angel Castillo where I could ask some of those questions I know you're all dying to know. So, here is what the new Head of House had to say.

Rhys Garner: "First off, congratulations on the new position and for taking the time to meet with me today."

Angel Castillo: "Well thanks for having me, I'm always happy for a chance to talk about myself."

RG: "For those of us who don't know, would you like to introduce yourself and what you teach here at Hogwarts? And how long have you been on staff here?"

AC: "I'm Professor Castillo, shiny new head of Slytherin house and teacher of upper year Herbology. I've been here at Hogwarts.. Merlin, I think seven years now. Yeesh."

RG: "Going back in time to your school years, did you attend Hogwarts yourself? Or were you a student at another school? And for those of us who are curious, what house were you sorted into?"

AC: "If the accent didn't give me away, I'm an Ilvermorny alum and a Proud Horned Serpent. Still snake-y at least, which I think helps."

RG: "So you teach Herbology for the upper years, was Herbology your favourite class back in school? What made you want to teach it now you're an adult?"

AC: "Favourite might be a strong word, but I've always had a knack for it. My family deals in growing potion ingredients Stateside so I had a bit of a leg up in that regard. I never saw myself as a professor, but I think it rather suits me."

RG: "At the beginning of this semester, you were named as the new Head of House for Slytherin. Was it a position you had to apply for or was it simply offered to you? If you had to apply, what was the application process like?"

AC: "Well, it's a bit of both. I was interested obviously, but Professor Allicastell has the final say in all decisions like that. The process mostly involved some very intimidating conversations with her."

RG: "Did Professor Styx give you any advice for the new role before he left? And how does it feel stepping into his shoes? I imagine they were some big shoes to fill."

AC: "Big figuratively and literally, for sure. He and I sadly didn't get to chat much before he left but I'm not daunted to be in charge of a new era for Slytherin house by any means. I've always fancied myself a bit of a trailblazer."

RG: "Is there anything new you're hoping to bring to Slytherin? Can we expect any trampolines in the common room anytime soon?"

AC: "I wouldn't rule it out but I'm sure we can think of something more fun than just a trampoline; Slytherins are a clever bunch as you know."

RG: "What are your goals for Slytherin this year? Is the Quidditch Cup and House Cup at the top of the wishlist?"

AC: "For now I'd be happy if no one gets expelled or maimed for this first year. And no that is not a challenge please do not take it as such."

RG: "Now I'd like to ask a couple of quickfire questions. First off, what's your wand made out of?"

AC: "It's a rather handsome Sycamore wand if I do say so myself."

RG: "What is your favourite thing to do in your free time?"

AC: "At the risk of being a giant sap, it's hanging out with my family. Also because I no longer have freetime due to said family but pretend I didn't say that."

RG: "Where is your favourite place on the school grounds?"

AC: "There is one particular armchair in the staff lounge I've become rather fond of."

RG: "Your favourite food?"

AC: "Breakfast tacos, though it's a pain to find food ones in New Zealand for some reason."

RG: "And finally, which Quidditch team do you support?"

AC: "Patriotism obligates me to say the Sweetwater All-Stars, though between you and I, I'm a much bigger Quadpot fan."

RG:
"I think that's everything. Thank you once again for taking the time to meet with me Professor Castillo. I hope your new position goes well."

AC: "Happy to chat, I look forward to reading all about myself in the Monthly later."

______________________________​
Aries (March 21 - April 19)

With the element of fire behind you, your energy is contagious as a wild fire. But all fire needs fuel to burn so make sure you're not burning the candle at both ends and are taking time to yourself. Nobody wants to work with someone short tempered or aggressive, no matter how fun you can be on good days.

Taurus (April 20 - May 20)

Your sign tends to get stuck in the mud, let the water signs Scorpio or Cancer loosen you up and show you how to have a good time. More often than not you are usually the responsible one and you take pride in that, as you should. But it's ok to let loose every once in a while.

Gemini (May 21 - June 20)

Hiding your nervousness behind an easy going front is no way to go through life. It can be hard to sit still long enough to work through the hard stuff. You're always talking and maybe it's time to listen for once to those around you when they are trying to help you.

Cancer (June 21 - July 22)

Being emotional can be a strength even though not everyone can see it. Not everyone can be as in tune with themselves as you are. But don't let those strong feelings push those who care about you away. You are very loyal and it's time you let other people prove themselves to you for a change.

Leo (July 23 - August 22)

Taking the spotlight is something that comes easy for you but sometimes it's nice to share the stage. Maybe ask Aquarius or Gemini to join you up there. It can be lonely at the top which isn't something you do well with. All relationships need work and sometimes you need to do the heavy lifting for a change.

Virgo (August 23 - September 22)

You thrive with structure and a routine, and when you are allowed to do the work you need to do. But don't let self imposed rules become a cage and be kind to yourself if you don't meet your expectations. It's ok to put yourself first and ask for help when you need it.

Libra (September 23 - October 22)

As we quickly approach summer keep an eye out for the colors pink and green. They should bring you good fortune. Making decisions isn't something that comes easily to you but it is because you try and be diplomatic in every situation, which is admirable. Trust your gut and take in your surroundings.

Scorpio (October 23 - November 21)

Sometimes people can view your resourceful and passionate nature to be overly manipulative and a negative thing. It is important to find a balance between your light and dark sides. Your element is water and it can be very easy to get swept up in your emotions.

Sagittarius (November 22 - December 21)

It can be hard to find people that match your energy. Seek out Gemimi and Aries for the best luck in finding your twin flame. You are generous and can always turn a bad situation around. Having people depend on you is not the end of the world. Do not view attachments as a burden.

Capricorn (December 22 - January 19)

Finding a way to please you can be difficult, but those who love you will always find a way to try their best. You may have a reputation of being difficult to work with, and maybe you should learn to work better with others, but don't let that stop you from trying to make your vision a reality.

Aquarius (January 20 - February 18)

For someone so dedicated to being a unique individual, you tend to put yourself in a corner with your uncompromising nature. There is no way for you to grow into your fullest self without learning and accepting new ideas. Try listening for a change instead of trying to talk louder than everyone else.

Pisces (February 19 - March 20)

Your partner in crime can be found in either a Virgo or a Taurus. As much as you may like being along, maybe it's time you finally branched out and made connections. Sometimes it can feel easier to be independent but we all need friends when the going gets rough.
Top Ten: Places to See In South Korea
By: Aaliyah Chun
Annyeong hasaeyo! That’s hello in Korean. I’m Aaliyah Chun, a Korean first-year Gryffindor, and an HM intern. I secretly love writing, I guess this isn’t a secret anymore. You might all be wondering how I speak English so well when my parents are both Koreans. I was born and raised in New Zealand but this does not mean I already forgot about my family’s home country.Whether you’re a diehard foodie or a fan of history or you love getting into the outdoors and hiking, travel in South Korea can take whatever form you want it to. Here is a collection of the best places to visit in South Korea. I’m pretty sure you’ll find a few of these places on your bucket list in no time.

sunset-donggung-palace-wolji-pond-gyeongju-south-korea-shutterstock_1044060244.jpg
1. GYEONGJU
Gyeongju, a stunning seaside city in South Korea, has a superb array of historic South Korean attractions. This historic capital city of the Silla Kingdom is commonly referred to as a museum without walls, which makes perfect sense once you start visiting one of the many prominent ancient sites. Bulguksa Temple, a UNESCO-protected Buddhist temple from the sixth century, is perhaps the most well-known attraction here. The Seokguram Grotto, with its stunning Buddha figure, is also located here. The Anapji Pond and Bomun Pavilion are two more significant landmarks in the city, the latter of which displays the beauty of Korea in spring with its cherry blossoms.

sunset-seoul-south-korea-shutterstock_149569202.jpg
2. SEOUL
Was there ever any doubt that, as the country's capital and one of the most popular tourist destinations, we'd recommend Seoul? This massive metropolis is jam-packed with sights to see and activities to do, which is why the majority of visitors to the country will spend at least some time here. From cultural sites like the historic Gyeongbokgung Palace to the interesting Bukchon Hanok Village, you'll be spoilt for choice when it comes to things to see. Visitors to Korea may be astonished to learn that Seoul has a national park, Bukhansan National Park, where hikers may enjoy panoramic views of the city.

jungmun-full-day-JC43-mosaic.jpg
3. JEJU ISLAND
Jeju Island, a stunning volcanic island in the Korea Strait, is without a doubt one of the most beautiful destinations in Korea. The fact that Jeju Island was named one of the New 7 Wonders of Nature should give you an idea of how spectacular this location is. Quiet beaches, huge cliffs, and magnificent mountains like Hallasan are all accessible via trekking trails that circumnavigate the island. Head to Seongsan Sunrise Mountain or the shore at Seopjikoji, where the beach and lighthouse provide the best views of the peak itself, for spectacular vistas.

gamcheon-culture-village--busan--south-korea-1149825040-2bc1e16a08c14ee9add5aae5f0e8e9b9.jpg
4. BUSAN
Busan, a port city that provides a good contrast to many of the other famous metropolitan locations in South Korea, is one of the greatest cities to visit. Many visitors to Busan come for the city's beautiful beaches, with Haeundae Beach and Gwangalli Beach being the most well-known. However, Busan offers a diverse range of cultural experiences, from the historic Beomeosa Temple to the increasingly popular Gamcheon Culture Village, a vibrant and colorful district that was formerly a slum. Hiking paths across surrounding mountains such as Geumjeongsan, with its serene environment, are another aspect of Busan worth investigating.

2613033_image2_1.jpg
5. SUWON
Suwon, in South Korea, is frequently overshadowed by cities such as Seoul and Gyeongju, yet it is well worth a visit for its stunning surroundings. Suwon is packed with massive landmarks that are sure to impress, thanks to centuries of history. The magnificent UNESCO World Heritage-listed Hwaseong Fortress is the most well-known attraction. Haenggung Palace, Hwahongmun Gate, and Paldalmun Gate are all located within its vast walls, and each contributes to its uniqueness. Suwon, as the birthplace of electronics giant Samsung Electronics, has a modern aspect to it, and you can learn about the company's history by visiting the Samsung Innovation Museum.

batch_Korea_Gangwon-do_Seolaksan_Ashutterstock_556426957-1.jpg
6. SEORAKSAN NATIONAL PARK
Travelers should make a beeline towards Seoraksan National Park to see some of the country's most beautiful natural scenery. This national park, which contains Daecheongbong, the country's third-highest mountain peak, is a must-see in South Korea. It's a far cry from the metropolitan settings most visitors encounter when they first arrive in the country, with spectacular craggy ridges and abundant flora. With its sweeping ridgelines and craggy peaks, it's no surprise that hiking is the most popular pastime in this UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. The so-called "Dinosaur Ridge," also known as Gongnyong Ridge, is one of Seoraksan's most recognizable sites, thanks to its stone summits.

1200px-070401_Panmunjeom3.jpg
7. THE KOREAN DMZ
Given the country's contentious relationship with its northern neighbor, it's easy to see why a visit to the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) is one of the most popular things to do in the country. The only way to see the 250-kilometer (155-mile) border between South and North Korea is to take a tour. The Joint Security Area, where the two countries signed an armistice agreement in 1953 and the only area where they currently engage in diplomatic conversations, is usually included in a visit. The Third Infiltration Tunnel, an attempt to tunnel beneath the border, and the Observation Post, from which you can see North Korea, are also on the agenda.

8. DARANGEE VILLAGE
Travel to Darangee Village in the Namhae region for a gentler side of country life. This small Korean community is home to a spectacular hillside slope with over 100 rice terraces that overlook the adjacent coast. As you can expect, the scenery is breathtaking and a photographer's dream. Walking routes and panoramic overlooks may be found in the area surrounding the village, allowing you to experience this fantastic seaside location from all angles.

Haeinsa-Temple.jpg
9. HAEINSA TEMPLE
It should come as no surprise that temples are one of South Korea's most popular tourist destinations, but Haeinsa Temple in Hapcheon County is not your average temple. This historic temple houses the world's oldest group of Buddhist scriptures that are still in good condition. The Tripitaka Koreana, an ancient Buddhist canon depicted on woodblocks, and the halls of Janggyeong Panjeon, where they are kept, are undoubtedly the most compelling reasons to visit Haeinsa Temple. However, there are other highlights of a visit here, including Korea's oldest wooden Buddha statue and the opportunity to stay at the temple and immerse yourself in Buddhist culture.

green-tea_1.jpg
10. BOSEONG GREEN TEA FIELDS
A visit to the beautiful tea fields of Boseong is a terrific opportunity to go out into the Korean countryside. Boseong, with its rolling fields of tea plants, supplies over 40% of all tea produced in Korea. While observing the infinite rows of tea leaves is a nice way to pass the time, guests can also sample a variety of green tea-flavored delights, such as green tea ice cream and a green tea version of the popular Korean meal bibimbap. If you visit in May, you might be able to attend the area's green tea festival, while in the winter, tiny lights illuminate the countryside.And there you have it: a fantastic beginning place for your South Korean vacation. While there are always more locations to visit in South Korea, the aforementioned sites are among the best and most popular for a reason.
How to Stay Occupied During School Break

By: Estella Fuentes
School Chatter

By: Anonymous (OOC: Tina Seville-Lopez)
  • Make flower crowns
Making flower crowns is super easy and can be a great addition to outfits during the Springtime. Simply intertwine flowers together in a circular shape that fits on your head. There are many types of flowers you can use too, helping you match it to any outfit. The possibilities are endless!
  • Redecorate your bedroom
Having the same bedroom can get a little boring at times. Spice it up a little and improve your mood by redecorating it! Hang a pinboard with some pictures of your favourite things, add some nice smelling candles, or even give it some colour by adding a vase of flowers. Move your bed to the other side of the room, hang some new curtains, and take a good look back at all of the hard work you’ve done.
  • Empty out your wardrobe and buy more clothes
Let’s admit it, some outfits in your wardrobe are really last year. It’s hard these days to keep up with the ever changing fashion, so make sure you have this on your to do list every year! Vibez in the Makutu Mall has some really cute outfits. I recommend giving them a visit.
  • Write letters to your friends
I don't know about you, but I really miss my friends during the break, and so writing letters to them is a great idea to keep in touch. Tell them about that nasty thing your sister did to you the other day, or take pictures of your bedroom that you just redecorated. Better yet, muggles use something called an email so you can send and receive replies quicker. That's definitely something to look into if you can.
  • Try some arts and crafts
Doing arts and crafts in the privacy of your home is a great way to have fun without embarrassing yourself if you’re really bad at it. Cut pictures out of magazines and make a collage of your favourite things, or try drawing pictures of your pets. You could even try painting. The best thing about it is you don’t have to be good at art to do it - just make it your own!
  • Have a picnic at the local park
The best thing about the upcoming holidays is that it is during the summer time, which is the perfect weather to go to the park and have a picnic with family or friends. Make some cute sandwiches, bring some pumpkin juice, and just admire the outdoors. It’s a great way to get some Vitamin D and a tan without really thinking about it too much.
  • Visit the zoo
If you don’t like animals then I don’t trust you. Aotearoa Magical Wildlife Sanctuary is a great place to not only admire the cute magical animals, but also to learn about them and discover the way they live their lives. Many of these animals are endangered, and by taking a trip to the sanctuary, you are supporting them.
Hello, hello Hogwarts New Zealand, I’m back. I hope you didn’t miss me that much. Even in my absence don’t think I don’t have my ears open.
  • Love at the Wrong Time
Spotted last summer holiday a Hufflepuff with an older man? Gosh, I don’t judge but the rumor was, Hufflepuff was very forward to this older man. But the said man refuse the advance the Hufflepuff was giving. Girl, just advice? Stop running for men who don’t like you. Stick with your age range and you might find Mr. Right.
  • Holland All Mighty
Aahh, the good ole Hollands are at it again. Spotted at the Quidditch pitch, the Hufflepuffs are having their first back-to-school practice, and well, let’s just say it didn’t go as planned for the Captain and Keeper of the team. Is the Captain insecure that their Keeper is more Captain material than them? Or is the height of power going through their head? I mean Captain, you’re also a Head Boy. I guess they think everyone bows to them. Sad.
  • A Very Merry Holland Vendetta
When are we going to have a nice school year without a Holland being all over? Never? Well, hold on tight because this will be a great year for everyone. Heard arguing outside the Fourth-floor hallway are Head boy and Hufflepuff’s Keeper. Head boy setting the arguing part again. God! The Holland brothers and their drama, right? But what’s juicer was the Keeper’s hint at something. Was everything the Head boy was insecure about was not toward the Keeper acting second in command. But with the Keeper themselves? This is definitely a ground break. Is there a love triangle happening around us?
  • Fell From The Cuckoo’s Nest
Aren’t we just going to talk about how Hufflepuffs are doing mischief this year? Seen at the yearly Club fair was the lovely Elizabella, who we all know is Professor Castillo’s Assistant. Wait! Wait! Professors get assistants now? That’s new. Well, professionalism isn’t in her blood, let me tell you that. Accusing Wild Patch’s President, Lysander Summers, of stealing plants. Yes, plants. I didn’t know it was a crime to have plants. But it was such a big deal to her that Professor Kingsley had to be in between the two students. Thankfully I don’t do plants. Don’t want to be accused by a mere assistant of stealing. Because, girl, I can slap you with ten Hermès bags.
  • Date For Sale
Charming, a Hufflepuff boy was spotted by the Entrance Hall soliciting what appears like a date for the upcoming Yule ball in the form of flyers. Is this how desperation looks like? Youngsters nowadays think that you need some date to be liked. Kid, piece of advice? Don’t grow up too fast, you’ll hate it.

Another year, another semester and everybody got some secret to hide. Reminder, I'm still here. So best bet I'll spill all your secrets.

Always, XOXO

Branson's Bookclub: Flowers for Algernon
By: Branson Archer
Recipes: Black Magic Cake
By: Robina Black
Welcome back folks to another Branson’s bookclub, we took a bit of a break after the last issue, but we’re back at it again. Today I wanted to cover Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. It was a book released in 1959 and while being a good and interesting read definitely has some language of its time. Flowers for Algernon has a simple premise, it is written in first person from the perspective of the main character, Charlie Gordon. Charlie is writing a series of reportings following a medical experiment that is supposed to enhance his intelligence. Algernon is the mouse which had the same procedure done on them before Charlie. The novel started its life as a short story which eventually expanded out into a full story.

The novel is interesting, following a character whose IQ is pitch as very low and watching his slow progression with intelligence. It features a lot of interesting concepts and changes to the main character which could be attributed to the experiment or leave you wondering if he was always like that just unable to. This story can be a little difficult at times, and personally i found some of its portrayals of intelligence to be difficult. Everyone is different and can approach things in a multitude of ways as well as being a little overly critical too of highly intelligent people. But all of these things create a narrative which works and asks us to consider how we value intelligence and whether intelligence is a key to happiness and a fulfilling life.

My favourite quote of the book is “I don’t know what’s worse: to not know what you are and be happy, or to become what you’ve always wanted to be, and feel alone.” A very interesting way of looking at perspectives and the way people approach life.

I would recommend this book to everyone reading this, but do proceed with a little caution and be prepared for a little sorrow too. Next time we’ll be looking at Raybear by Jordan Ifueko.
Preparation: 1 hour, Servings: 24 person

Ingredient:
  • 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup strong brewed coffee
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions:
Step 1
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans or one 9x13 inch pan.
Step 2
In large bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Make a well in the center.
Step 3
Add eggs, coffee, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed. Batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pans.
Step 4
Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling on a wire rack. Fill and frost as desired.
piano-playing.gif

Hogwarts' Music Corner
By: Charlie Helkovaara
Sometimes its easy to forget that music exists here at Hogwarts. In the muggle world, it’s almost a staple of life, always loud and playing everywhere. Here, you have to make your own music. Even I’m learning to play the violin to combat the silence. But music is a way of life. Many of us have chosen to take up the passion for music. The Conglomerated Arts club leader Casper Beckett has chosen to try and honor our musicians, and has opened a brand new section of the arts club, focusing on the musicians and their talents. I was invited to sit in on the last meeting.

While the artists were making Christmas cards and decorations, I was talking with the musicians, many of whom approved of Casper's attempts to recognize their art forms. For those of you that don’t know, the arts room has been enchanted to help you. Caser demonstrated this by performing a song from the heart. Not surprising, considering the eldest Beckett is Asher, the lead singer and guitarist for the band Ashes. Ashes, for those that don’t know, is a moderately famous emo rock band that consists of guitarist Leo Malstrom, drummer Vera Ito, bassist Delaney Hollis, and Asher. It only makes sense that Asher taught Casper how to sing, as Casper and his twin cousins Addison and Allison designed Ashers’ many tattoos.

Instruments in the arts room will teach you how to play, guiding you along. Some of the musicians in the arts club are Eugene Nestor, who plays the piano and the guitar. He’s my roommate, and I know he plays with several others in our dorm. There’s also Sawyer Carnahan, Sky Niamh, and first year Aaliyah Chun among others. My research also indicates the Ravenclaw Weston Stirling and Hufflepuff Chaser Jordan “Jordie” Harris are in a band, utilizing the music room to teach them how to play. They’ve already learned the guitar, drums, bass, and piano.

Any aspiring musicians should spend more time in the arts room, or at the arts club under Casper's guidance. I myself learned violin by venturing inside the arts room. Life is dull and dreary. And for those of us who aren’t interested in sports, music is a healing and wonderful way to fill your time and your life.
Editor's Note

By: Poppy Perkins
The Hogwarts Monthly team has come together again to bring you their very best for this issue! I would also like to thank the newest first years who have joined the paper for jumping in so enthusiastically as well as Estelle Fuentes who has taken on the role of Assistant Editor. Like always they've spent their valuable time working together to make things happen. This is the beginning of my last year as Editor which is bittersweet of course but I look forward to spending the rest of the year finishing out my time serving as editor.

[OOC: Coming in hot from the airport as I wait for my flight home!]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back