First Years, Lesson One

Landon was very excited for his first Herbology lesson with his new first years. He was confident that he was going to have fun with them and would try his best to make the year as good as possible for them.

The Professor stood at the front of the Herbology greenhouse with a beaming smile on his face as he looked around the room, waiting for his new batch of first years to arrive. The greenhouse was decorated with still pictures of muggle plants, from daisies to tulips to orange jessamine. They wouldn't be learning much about them, but he still felt that the plants were pretty and that it gave the atmosphere a homely feel. He was sure that the muggle-born students like himself were going to like the interesting touch too and he hoped that it would make them feel comfortable during their first lesson with him.

Soon enough, the first group of students entered the greenhouse followed by more and more people which just made the man even more excited for the lesson. "Come in, come in!" Landon exclaimed as he gestured for a couple of hesitating children standing at the door to make their way inside.

Once everyone was settled Professor Carter began pacing the room in his best attempt to make himself comfortable. "Good afternoon first years, I am Professor Carter and I will be your Herbology professor for your first to fourth year." He said, his voice quite loud and clear around the greenhouse. "Now, can anyone tell me what Herbology is?" Landon pointed to a student in the front row and smiled at them. When they managed to get the answer right, Professor Carter beamed. "3 points to your house! Herbology is the study, along with the use, of both magical and mundane plants. The way muggles look after them are much similar to the way wizards look after them, but with obviously some magic involved." The man paused as he looked around at his students, some of which were writing notes already. Many of them were listening intently, which made Professor Carter smile. "But don't be too worried about all of that just yet. For now, I will be handing around pieces of paper and a pencil with a little introductory quiz on it. Luckily, it will only be one of your few assignments this year. I look forward to teaching you all." Landon handed each person in his class a single piece of paper and a pencil before dismissing them. Parchment was too overrated, and his students would be seeing none of that in his classes.

Quiz

Name:

House:

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?:

Do you prefer lectures or going outside?:

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability:

-----

Assignment: Just post attendance and fill out the form above! First poster, please answer the question. Please also take some time to check out the Herbology Classroom Policy.

Eurydice wasn't really looking forward to attending Herbology. While she was quite excited about classes, she'd realized early on that the classes she had been looking forward to were not something she could take until her third year. While the greenhouse looked pretty, she didn't really like to think about having to take care of the plants cause that would involve having her hands on the soil and that was just... ew. While she liked the outdoors, she wasn't really one who liked to be involved in taking care of the outdoors. Wasn't that what the house elves were for? Hopefully, she could get away with just doing theory work and quizzes throughout... her whole seven years. Yeah, maybe.

When classes started, Eurydice listened to the professor who just so happened to also be her Head of House. She raised her hand though when Professor Carter asked a question.
"Plant study," she said with all the confidence an 11-year-old could muster. It wasn't like she was wrong anyway. When Professor Carter handed out a quiz though, Eury couldn't help but sigh. At least this lesson was just that. She looked at the pencil that the professor handed and couldn't help but look at it in fascination. Her dad had used quills and ink and the occasional pen while mum used both muggle and magical writing things. She hadn't expected a pencil in Herbology though, but she just shrugged and went along with it. Once she had finished, she handed it over and left the greenhouse as soon as was allowed.

Quiz

Name:
Eurydice Riko Nightray

House: Hufflepuff

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Any activity that would not have us outside or touching the soil?

Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: I don't mind going outside if we're not going to get dirty

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Do I really need to take care of the plants? What if I accidentally kill them?

Welcome to Herbology! There will be no killing of plants under my watch, especially not accidentally!

Last edited by a moderator:
Eli walked into the Herbology greenhouse, his face shoved in a book (of course). He was curious about the lesson, but that didn't mean he wasn't terrified of getting behind in the work. He was used to studying from Mohoutokoro, but had no idea what any of the lessons here would be like. He was kind of excited, but his face showed more of a grimace. He admired the muggle plants decorating the walls, feeling a bit of comfort from their familiar presence. He couldn't help but glance at his cousin Eurydice, and his brother Jonah who was sitting next to her. Eury didn't seem as thrilled about the class. He knew she wasn't particularly fond of getting her hands dirty, but he hoped she would find something interesting in Herbology. He continued in and took a seat near the front, listening as attentively as he could, taking notes along the way. He had always been far more comfortable with theory work than anything practical and had a sneaky suspicion this class would require more attention and action than just reading ahead. Which was a bit of a shame, he liked books. He raised his hand to answer the question and then rolled his eyes when his cousin answered. Well that was obvious - surely the professor wanted something with a little more substance - though he wisely chose to stay mum on the subject.

When the professor handed out the introductory quiz, Eli carefully took the paper and pencil, eager to share his thoughts. He quickly filled out the quiz, his neat handwriting reflecting his focus and interest. After completing the quiz, Eli glanced around the room, noting the other students busy with their own papers. They were all sort of in the same boat, he supposed, starting all of this together, but all he saw were students competing for points. Maybe that wasn't the point, but it mattered. He couldn't be outdone in his first year. How would that make him look? He couldn't risk to lose any points. He was already annoyed Eury got housepoints, but surely he would beat her out in grades... surely?

He handed in his paper and gave Professor Carter a polite nod, then waited for the next set of instructions, his anticipation growing with each passing moment. He also cast a quick look at Eurydice, hoping she would find something enjoyable in the lesson despite her initial reluctance. When the class was over, he fell into step beside his family and they left the room together.
Quiz: Herbology #1

Name
: Elijah Edogawa
House: Ravenclaw

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: I'm looking forward to learning about the magical properties of different plants and how they can be used in potions and other forms of magic. I also want to understand how to care for and cultivate magical plants properly.

Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: I prefer lectures. I enjoy absorbing detailed information and taking extensive notes. Lectures allow me to understand the theory behind the practice, which I find fascinating.

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: What are some common uses of magical plants in everyday wizard life?

That is a very good question indeed! The essence of dittany can be used to assist in curing wounds, and also helps skin grow over the wound. Immediately after applying it, the wound appears several days old. People may often continue to apply it a few times afterwards to prevent scarring.

Jonah didn't want to go to class. Well, he didn't want to go to class as a Hufflepuff. And he especially did not want to go to the class where the professor was the Hufflepuff Head of House. It felt too much like giving up. But he'd also already told the Headmaster that he liked being a Hufflepuff and he only didn't like it because his siblings were not with him. Eurydice had managed to drag him out of bed though, and had very unconcernedly forced him to wear his uniform. She claimed that she was not going to suffer in that class alone, and so here they both were. She practically had an iron grip on him when Eli came in, preventing him from switching seats. He was trapped.

For someone who did not want to attend class though, his cousin seemed to be answering the Professor's question just fine. Jonah grimaced cause he didn't really like plants. Or taking care of them. And why was there a quiz. He didn't want to answer a quiz! He didn't study anything. Who even gives quizzes on the first day?! Professor Landon Carter, Hufflepuff Head of House, was pure evil. He practically sagged in relief though when he'd seen that it was just asking for his name and things about him. He'd been ready to ask Eurydice if she'd let him copy an answer or two. But at least now he didn't have to copy anything. He scrawled his answers really quickly and handed in his piece of paper. Glad that it was finally over, Jonah left with Eli and Eury very much relieved that he didn't have to answer any questions relating to Herbology.

Quiz

Name:
Jonah

House: Gry Hufflepuff

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Nothi Plants?

Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Outside

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Do I really need to study Herbology?

Welcome to Hogwarts, Jonah! And most importantly, welcome to Hufflepuff house!
For your first and second year, you do need to study Herbology. After that, you can feel free to drop it. But don't forget to have an open mind! If you ever need help with anything, my door is always open.

Cleo didn't know how Herbology could be a whole class on its own, but then she didn't really know how any of the classes here worked. She was just going with the flow and pretending like everything was fine in the hopes that it eventually would be. The greenhouse was really pretty and Cleo thought she'd enjoy the classes being in there even if she was really behind in the knowledge part of things. She quickly found a seat and listened to the professor talk, her mind spinning as she tried to pay attention. Everything was a bit too much for Cleo right now, so she was very happy that there wasn't anything too difficult happening in the class. Being introduced to big new magical concepts was not something she was ready to deal with just yet. She spent too long worrying over what to write on the questionnaire and had to quickly scribble down answers before class was over and handed in her paper.

Name:

House: Cleo Huynh

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Finding out about magical plants.

Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Outside unless it's raining and the paper gets wet.

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Are there plants that make magical things happen, like roses that make people fall in love?

Hi Cleo! Welcome to Hogwarts, and welcome to Hufflepuff!
To answer your question, indeed there can be! For example, consuming a plant called Gillyweed will make you develop gills so that you can breathe underwater. I've always thought that was pretty cool. You will learn more about that in your senior years, should you continue to take Herbology.

Rhea already knew this much about herbology, because she had read her mother's books about various plants and also fungi that could be used in healing, so she was looking forward to the first herbology lesson, when she could see it all live and explore it. If one of them will be about the one she read to, and will be able to tell the professor and the other students. However, one should not have guessed what will happen, but simply go to the greenhouse and find out what will happen in the first lesson.

She entered the greenhouse, took the free seat. It wasn't long before Professor Carter began the lesson. Rhea realized that Professor Carter would teach them from first to fourth years. Then when he stood in front, the professor asked the question, what is herbology. The girl raised her hand, but another girl hurried up first. Rhea listened to the answer but still decided to add to the answer. ''Herbology is the study of magical and mundane plants and fungi. The collected plants and fungi are used later in the preparation of potions and medicines.'' she refused, although she was not trying to be a smartass, but simply wanted to express what she knew about herbology. Then the professor asked to complete a small quiz with some questions, when Rhea received a piece of paper and read the questions carefully, the beginning was not very difficult to complete, but the last question had to be thought about. It took a few minutes.

Quiz

Name: Rhea Moss
What are you most looking forward to from herbology?: Learning even more about plants I haven't yet discovered.
Do you prefer lectures or going out?: Inside and outside
If you have any questions, please post them here and I'll answer them to the best of my ability: Can a mandrake scream really kill? How can you deal with the venomous tentacula plant?

Hi Rhea, welcome to Hogwarts!
A fully grown mandrake's scream can indeed kill. You will learn more about this in your second year.
As for venomous tentaculas, Professor Castillo will teach you all about this in the dangerous plants course in your senior years, should you continue to take Herbology. The severing charm is the safest charm to use when handling that plant.

As Eoghan waited for his very first class to begin, he had to wonder whether it was worth being here after all. Herbology he knew, was the study of plants, but why did he need to be at a magical school to find out that information? Dressed in his new blue robes he followed the other students down to the greenhouses, waiting to be introduced to the professor and wondering how this would be different from learning something in his regular back garden.

This first lesson was more of an introductory lesson, which Eoghan supposed wasn't a bad way to start. The professor had no idea who any of them were, so at least he'd know their name before they started growing things. At least, Eoghan had to assume that's what they'd be doing. He took a piece of paper and headed for a space in the room by himself, before getting out his quill and filling in his "quiz".

Quiz said:
Name: Eoghan Blyth
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Learning how magic comes into play.
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Lectures

Daiki felt like all was right in the world again. He had his best friend back, he was at school and he was going to learn magic. He was eager for it, eager to have her at his side, eager to just learn easily. It would fine, magic wouldn’t be too difficult for him and he would have a good time. Daiki was ready for the day, he hadn’t checked his bag, just assumed he had what he needed and then headed out of the dorm room.

Daiki walked into the herbology greenhouse and kept the spot he took in the room open, waving Kairi over when she arrived so that they could sit together. He took out his notes and books and placed them down in front of him. He knew the answer to what herbology was, but let others answer. He had a desire to do well, but not desire to be the first to answer. Had there been more time he might’ve raised his hand. The professor then continued on and he nodded along with what was said. Making sure to get down the little the professor told them before the lesson was then wrapped up. He took the homework and filled it out, waiting for Kairi before he headed out of the room.

Name: Daiki Saito
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Everything!
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Whichever works best for the lesson itself

Demi had been hoping she was sharing more of her classes with the Gryffindors, but as it happened there would only be one this semester, which meant she was going to have to find new friends to hang out with until she could find William. Heading down to the first herbology lesson of the year with the other Ravenclaw she spotted Susie, the sign girl and the one who'd convinced the first years to explore on their own the first day. She grinned at the girl and took a seat beside her, waiting for the lesson to start.

Herbology wasn't a subject Demi was overly familiar with, however with three siblings and a barnyard of animals at home it wasn't exactly something she'd never come across either. It had been important to know the basics, and part of the homeschooled curriculum meant that Demi at least knew which plants were safe and which were less so. Taking out her quill she got to work with her homework, and handed it in at the end of the lesson.

homework said:
Name: Demi Zephyr
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: I want to know how to grow useful plants
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Going outside

Kairi was feeling a lot more confident with her prospects at the school now. Somehow, she just felt like everything would be alright if Daiki was around. She was feeling a lot more comfortable now that she wasn't going to be alone here, with something of a little bit of a support system. She hummed, getting her things together before walking down to the common room. It seemed like Daiki had already left, so instead she walked down to class.

She spotted him quickly, and with a bright smile she walked up and stood with her best friend. She turned to the Professor, smiling at them and pulling out her things to take notes. As the class went on, she leant a little into Daiki, his warmth keeping her on track. Before she knew it they'd been dismissed. She scribbled out her answers quickly, turning it in before she hurried after Daiki, humming softly and thinking over what they'd learnt.

Name: Kairi Kennedy
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Being outside
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Outside Please
If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Nothing yet, thank you though!

No sooner had Ondine sat down than she decided she liked Professor Carter very much. He had exactly the sort of warm, friendly demeanour you'd expect from the head of Hufflepuff house, and he had done a spectacular job decorating the greenhouse with various plants and pictures. It almost reminded her of home, although she'd never seen her mother's greenhouses looking quite so orderly. Her only complaint was that the lesson was over before it had even begun. Still, there was nothing stopping her from staying behind to have a look at the plants, which was exactly what she intended to do just as soon as she'd filled in her homework.

Name: Ondine Physwick

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: I am looking forward to learning about famous herbologists and magical plants from Aotearoa.

Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: I like both.

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: What is the most interesting plant you've ever seen?

What a great question! I think I would have to say the Devil's Snare. Although it appears unassuming, it is very dangerous. You will learn about it if you decide to continue taking Herbology in your senior years.

Vikram was prepared to begin his schooling. With his bag strategically packed and his uniform carefully pressed, he left the tower and walked to class. He wasn't the first one there, but he didn't mind, just taking a seat (albiet a standing one). He settled down, setting up his space the way he liked (which in this case was just making sure he had a good view and making sure his uniform looked well).

He turned his attention to the Professor.and listened to the man speak. He was expecting the introductions for their first lessons, and read over the page given to them. He filled his out easily, turning it in. He would need to make some friends in his house, he thought, hands in his pockets as he walked back to the castle alone.

Name: Vikram Bakshi
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: The learning
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Lectures- less likely to get rained on if you're inside.
If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Are there any books or other material you'd recomend to study or read along with this course?

It is definitely not required to study any extra material, but if you were really wanting some more reading, Magical Water Plants of the Mediterranean is an interesting one!

Lilith walked behind a group of other students to the Herbology class room. She made sure to keep to herself, not feeling like spending her social battery on any unnecessary chitchat. The room looked very.. Green she supposed it also looked somewhat cozy and oddly reminded her of home. Her mum was big on plants, though mostly muggle ones to keep up appearances.

As the professor presented them with questions and explanations Lilith made sure to take notes, but otherwise just listen. She'd participate in conversations later perhaps, but for now she would just sit and take in the information provided. Feel around the classes if you will. Her green eyes kept looking around the room at the various students and wondering whether or not she would find the energy to make friends soon. As the class came to an end she took the piece of paper and filled it in before eventually leaving the room. Not a bad class at all.

Quiz

Name:
Lilith Ilves

House:
Ravenclaw

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?:
To learn how to best utilize each plant and how to care for them. I am also looking forward to discovering new plants.

Do you prefer lectures or going outside: Quite honestly I enjoy both forms of learning, but I suppose lectures are better for note taking.

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: I don't think there's anything, thank you for the lecture.

Nox entered the greenhouse with a air of curiosity for his first Herbology lesson. He took in the surroundings, noting the familiar yet fascinating muggle plants adorning the walls. The atmosphere felt welcoming, and he appreciated the effort Professor Carter had put into making the place feel comfortable. Nox found a seat near the front and listened intently as Professor Carter introduced himself and the subject. He was intrigued by the idea of learning about both magical and mundane plants and was eager to get started. When the professor handed out the introductory quiz, Nox filled it out quickly as it didn't seem to require much thought on his part which he appreciated. Once he had finished filling out the quiz he handed it back to Professor Carter on his way out.

Name: Nox Walden-Cade

What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: I'm excited about getting hands-on experience in the greenhouse and possibly growing some plants myself.

Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: I prefer going outside.

If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Will we get to grow our own plants?

Of course! There will be plenty of opportunities to do that!

Forrest had been looking forward to starting herbology, he had always been a fan of plants and was looking forward to learning more about them particularly magical plants. He made his way into greenhouse and took a seat, they were greeted by the smiling face of a man who introduced himself as Professor Carter, he introduced himself and told them a little about the subject he would be teaching them. Forrest took out a sheet of parchment and started to take notes on some of the things the professor mentioned but there wasn’t a lot to take in, it was just an introduction lesson. Forrest was sure things would get more interesting as the semester went on. Towards the end of the lesson Professor Carter handed out a sheet with questions on it, he took the sheet and filled it out before making his way out of the classroom once they had been dismissed.

Quiz

Name: Forrest Kaster
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Being outside during classes and learning about different types of magical plants.
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Outside
If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Nothing right now

Hufflepuff was not a bad house. Samael Styx did not mind it. He knew that his oldest brother was sorted in it, as was his son. Samael knew that no one would suspect a Hufflepuff from being mean or bad in general. It was the perfect cover. Did no one else realize that? Samael was told how to act, think, and behave. He worked hard to be obedient to his family. They would be proud of him one way or another. Hades and Anastasia might have had their favorites, but he knew that he might not be one of them. He would have to change that. Somehow. He glanced around at his dorm to see that some were heading out. Right, he had classes. He needed to do well. He hauled his bag over his shoulder and followed after his roommates, hoping that they would not lead him astray.

Samael entered the greenhouse for the first years, and sat down at a random bench. He wondered how many students here never seen or dealt with magical plants. Professor Carter greeted the first years and introduced himself to them. He immediately asked what Herbology was, and a Ravenclaw managed to answer it. Samael already knew what Herbology was so he did not feel the need to write it down. They also had a pencil and paper with a quiz. He did not need such writing equipment. His mother and father would frown upon it. He would do the quiz on his own equipment. He grabbed his belongings and left the greenhouse.

Well, Herbology was going to be easy. Susie had grown up on a farm, surrounded by all sorts of plants, muggle and magical alike. She recognised a few in the greenhouse even as she took her seat. Still, she supposed she ought to pay attention. It would have been very embarrassing to get a poor grade in her family's favourite subject. Freddie and Luke would never let her live it down, and they did not need any more ammo when it came to being a pain in her neck. She listened quietly through the lesson, filled in her homework sheet, and headed off to find some lunch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back