First Years, Lesson One

Landon was very excited for his first Herbology lesson with his new first years. He was confident that he was going to have fun with them and would try his best to make the year as good as possible for them.

The Professor stood at the front of the Herbology greenhouse with a beaming smile on his face as he looked around the room, waiting for his new batch of first years to arrive. The greenhouse was decorated with still pictures of muggle plants, from daisies to tulips to orange jessamine. They wouldn't be learning much about them, but he still felt that the plants were pretty and that it gave the atmosphere a homely feel. He was sure that the muggle-born students like himself were going to like the interesting touch too and he hoped that it would make them feel comfortable during their first lesson with him.

Soon enough, the first group of students entered the greenhouse followed by more and more people which just made the man even more excited for the lesson. "Come in, come in!" Landon exclaimed as he gestured for a couple of hesitating children standing at the door to make their way inside.

Once everyone was settled Professor Carter began pacing the room in his best attempt to make himself comfortable. "Good afternoon first years, I am Professor Carter and I will be your Herbology professor for your first to fourth year." He said, his voice quite loud and clear around the greenhouse. "Now, can anyone tell me what Herbology is?" Landon pointed to a student in the front row and smiled at them. When they managed to get the answer right, Professor Carter beamed. "3 points to your house! Herbology is the study, along with the use, of both magical and mundane plants. The way muggles look after them are much similar to the way wizards look after them, but with obviously some magic involved." The man paused as he looked around at his students, some of which were writing notes already. Many of them were listening intently, which made Professor Carter smile. "But don't be too worried about all of that just yet. For now, I will be handing around pieces of paper and a pencil with a little introductory quiz on it. Luckily, it will only be one of your few assignments this year. I look forward to teaching you all." Landon handed each person in his class a single piece of paper and a pencil before dismissing them. Parchment was too overrated, and his students would be seeing none of that in his classes.

Quiz

Name:
House:
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?:
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?:
If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability:
-----

Assignment: Just post attendance and fill out the form above! First poster, please answer the question. Please also take some time to check out the Herbology Classroom Policy.

Yuelia Rossingol

Otherworldly Nightingale

OOC First Name
Camilla
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 14.5" Sturdy Walnut Wand with Boomslang Venom Core
Like with Potions, Yuelia was honestly not thrilled about Herbology, but owed it to her father to put in the effort. He'd taken pains to teach her about some plants that were important to Potions, and things to be aware of, but it hadn't really piqued her interest as much as, say, Charms or Transfiguration. Still, she was going to get the classwork done, and she was going to get it done well. Neither her nor her father would accept anything less than Os.

Although Yuelia hated getting her hands dirty. So that would be a challenge.

She let someone else answer the question, not wanting to be that much of a teacher's pet. Not for Herbology, at any rate. And then they were handed pencils and paper, and Yuelia gave them a strange look. She was not unfamiliar with muggle writing implements, but it was a bit strange to her. Especially a pencil - how were you supposed to write neatly with such a stubby thing, the top a little blunted. She found she had to apply more force than she expected, crumpling the paper a little when she placed too much pressure. She really hoped nobody saw that.

Quiz

Name:
Yuelia Charlotte Rossingol
House: Slytherin
What are you looking forward to about Herbology?: Learning spells for growing things.
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Ideally I would be inside with no lecture but being outside is nice.
Any questions?: Do we grow anything that we use in Potions class?

Definitely! The two classes often cross over, so if you enjoyed potions you should also enjoy Herbology!

She couldn't really think of her own question so she just asked something she thought her father would want to know about. She handed over the form with a very polite smile and slowly made her way back to the castle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mischa Falter-Butera

good vibes only 🤘

OOC First Name
Charlie
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 12 Inch Swishy Redwood Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Mischa had decided pretty early on that he didn't care for Herbology. He didn't have 'green fingers' or any of that rubbish and didn't really care about plants and whatnot, either. So, he wouldn't really say he was looking forward to Herbology all too much. He was practically dragging his feet as he entered the classroom, loudly huffing as he slumped into one of the seats and promptly folded his arms across his chest. This was going to be boring, added on to the fact it was just another stupid introduction lesson and they wouldn't be learning anything anyhow. And what was worse was when they were handed a stupid quiz to fill out as well. Super lame. It only took him a couple of seconds to fill out and then he was thankfully leaving the classroom with everyone else once they had been dismissed. He didn't have any high expectations that the next lesson was going to be any better.

homework said:
Quiz

Name: Mischa Falter-Butera
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: I'm not looking forward to anything
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Outside
If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Nope

Birdie Atwood

🌿Nature called, it wants me back🌿

OOC First Name
Tayla
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 9 1/2 Inch Flexible Aspen Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Herbology was not a fmailiar subject to Birdie, she didn't know what to expect but the fact that she had to travel outside in the sun was a plus in her book. At the greenhouse, Birdie squealed at the sight of beautiful plants the decorated the room. Within the room was her proffessor who looked excited to begin which transferred to Birdie.

As the lesson droned one, Birdie realised that this was once again the introduction to a new class and no fun things will happen. Although this saddened her, she was happy to be surrounded by the smell of fresh grass and dirt, it was like home.

When the teacher handed out the paper, Birdie answered it with her pen. She was slighlty confused that a muggle item was being used by she accepted it gratefully, something familiar again.

Quiz

Name:
Birdie Atwood
House: Gryffindor
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: Going outside to do stuff, like in the forest...
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Outside definitely
If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: Are some of these plants dangerous?

During your 1st-4th years you learn the basics about plants, and in your 5th year, if you choose to keep taking the subject, you are taught all about dangerous plants by Professor Castillo!
Then she left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lennox Addison

Only Child, Spoiled, Ballet Dancer

OOC First Name
Sam
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
Unknown
Lennox would rather be anywhere else than on her way to Herbology. A class about plants and dirt. What a joke! She did not see the point in having students learn about this. Magical plants or not. She would much rather be learning about spells or curses, not pointless plants. But her father had made it clear that she had to attend all her classes, well until her third year when she could choose which ones to drop. That was ages away, so many years of suffering. Lennox was certainly not pleased.

She entered the Greenhouse, already annoyed by all the flowers and images about this place. She took a seat, certainly grumpy. She had no reason to hide her displeasure. She set her bag on the table, not risking putting it on the floor. This place was obviously filthy. She did not even want to unpack her bag. Her pink quill was not going to get dirt on it if she could help it.

The young Slytherin waited as the overly happy professor begun the lesson. Who would actually choose to teach this for the rest of their lives? No one Lennox would want to associate with, that was sure. It was made even worse when she heard the definition of Herbology. It was even worse than she had imagined. The young Slytherin decided she did not care enough to pay attention. She zoned out, only surprised when the professor handed them a pencil and a quiz. Well not quite a quiz. Just a few questions. Lennox did not hold back as she filled them in quickly, leaving as soon as she handed it in to the professor.

Quiz

Name: Lennox Mia Addison
What are you looking most forward to about Herbology?: For it to be over. I don't do nature. Maybe if we do some magic, it would be okay.
Do you prefer lectures or going outside?: Inside, obviously.
If you have any questions, please write them here and I will answer them to the best of my ability: No questions.

Users who are viewing this thread