Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual (Rory)
Wand
Knotted 13 1/2 Inch Sturdy Alder Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Trophy Showcase:
"Good afternoon, class," Octavia greeted her class as they walked in, "I have decided that for your excellent work in class, and for your patience during last week's lesson, I will give you all a treat." She paused to build up on the anticipation that her students were probably feeling. "We are going on a field trip!" she said cheerfully. She hoped that at least this break from lectures would energise them, and make them happy.

Octavia walked around to the back of her desk, and pulled out a very small, ancient-looking object shaped like a mummy. It only stood about a foot high, but some of the students in the front row cowered away. "Don't worry, this is completely harmless. Now, who can tell me how we are able to travel away from school, since we cannot apparate? Anyone?" She looked around the room and saw someone with their hand up. "Yes?" The student answered, "Portkeys. Just by touching one, you will be taken to another location where another portkey is located." The professor nodded. "Excellent, that is correct." She smiled at all the students, evidently excited for the lesson to come. "Today we will be going to the Smithsonian Museum, one of the largest museums in the world. It is located in Washington D.C. and holds some of the world's greatest historical displays."

Octavia walked to the front of the room, still holding the portkey. "Once everyone is ready, I need all of you to come to the front of the room and touch the portkey." Once all the students had placed their hands on it, they were sucked inward, as if through their belly-buttons, and suddenly reappeared right behind the vast buildings of the Smithsonian Museum. "All right students. I have here passes for all of you to view all the exhibits." She paused while she handed them out to all the students. "I am going to give you four hours, and I would like you to meet back here once the time is up." Octavia walked with the students until they reached the front of the buildings, and then they all went their separate ways.​

Homework:

Full Marks: RP the lesson
Extra Credit: Essay
First Poster: Answer question about Portkey for more extra credit

Homework will be simple today. I would like you to RP going to the Smithsonian Museum. There is no limit to the RP, but I'd like more than a couple of sentences. For extra credit write a brief summary of one of the exhibits there. I would like no less than 100 words, which isn't really that much once you think about it. I would also like links to your resources. I have included a couple of good websites that I found for the Smithsonian. Feel free to use those. Have fun!​

Jordan Harris

Blunt- Cuddly- Soft- Bold

OOC First Name
Jess
Trophy Showcase:
Jordie couldn't believe how quickly the semester was flying by. He couldn't wait until he got home to see Onyx and his uncles, he couldn't wait to eat Uncle James' cooking or curl up in Uncle Colin's lap. He wondered idly how long it would take his uncles to get married, he was sure they would. Probably. They were too goeey-eyed not to. Onyx was starting to look pretty gooey-eyed too, Jordie wandered how Onyx was getting on with his French boy. Jordie should try to find Sapphire a boyfriend, she needed to be gooey-eyed too. He laughed lightly, shaking his head. Maybe he should focus on his cousins first. Jasper was happy with his girlfriend, sure, and Ember seemed content waiting for that quiet guy, but Amaya was actually at school, he was sure he could find her someone.

Humming happily as he planned his families love lives, Jordie skipped into class. He sat near the front, perking up at the idea of a field trip. Ooh, that could be fun. He raised a hand, pleased when he was called on. "Portkeys. Just by touching one, you will be taken to another location where another portkey is located." He answered easily, smiling as he was correct.

He skipped up to the front when they were called, shutting his eyes and bracing himself for the familiar twinge in his stomach at the apparition. He grinned, taking off into the museum as they arrived and looking for someone to pester during the trip. They eventually returned, and he gathered his things again, laughing lightly and eager to write to his uncles about his day.

River Hopkins-Vance

Metamorphmagus, Persuasive Writer, Sister

OOC First Name
Sam
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
Unknown
Wand
Straight 10 Inch Flexible Fir Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
Trophy Showcase:
River was still up in the air on how she felt about History of Magic. The Professor seemed to be giving them an open view on history, taking into consideration the viewpoints of many. River just felt like there was so much more that was missing from every topic. Maybe that was just her opinion. The young girl wanted to keep her mind open about the subject she would be taking for the next seven years of her life. With this mindset, River entered the History of magic Classroom, her hair a dull purple, not bringing herself to get it's normal brightness, her energy was just not into it today.

This energy changed slightly as River entered the History of Magic classroom, her green eyes focusing on a foot tall mummy in the front of the room. Without hesitation, River walked to her normal seat in the front row, her eyes focused on the new decoration. Maybe they would be learning about Egyptian wizards today. That would be exciting. River and her older sister had read a lot about Egyptian mythology during their nightly readings together back home. This memory seemed so far away.

This topic, however, would not be the one they were learning about today. Something just as exciting filled its place as the Professor announced they would be going on a fieldtrip. How exciting River thought not bothering to unpack her backpack. She would probably need it for the field trip. But where were they going? Her question would soon be answered, but first the professor asked a question about traveling outside of Hogwarts. River raised her hand quickly, her reflexes not fast enough as a young Hufflepuff boy got to answer the question. Shrugging her shoulders, RIver put her hand back down and waited for the answer to her own question. The purple haired girl smiled brightly when the professor announced they would be going to the Smithsonian Museum, a Museum all the way in the United States, a place River had never traveled before. She wondered briefly how much her New Zealand accent would make her stand out, but was not bothered by it. She imagined such a famous museum often had visitors from all over.

When it was time, River walked to the front of the room, placing her hand on the mummy portkey. She did not want to miss this! She closed her eyes, awaiting 'take off.' Within moments she felt a tug in her stomach as her head felt like it was spinning with dizziness. Feeling her feet touch a different sort of ground, pavement, River opened her eyes. Just like that they were there, outside the massive museum.

River wasted no time grabbing her four hour pass and entering the museum. Where would she even start? River walked towards the museum, her legs a little uneasy from the travel, but nothing she could not work with. Instantly she found a map of the museum. Looking through all the exhibits, River did not even know where she would go first. So many good options. She definitely wanted to visit the X ray Visions: Fish Inside Out as well as the Things that Scare Us and Native Women Arts Exhibit. There was so much to see. The young girl closed her eyes and randomly picked an exhibit falling on the Connections: Contemporary Craft at the Renwick Gallery.

With this in mind, River walked to the second floor of the museum and found the exhibit of her random choosing. Upon finding it, River entered the exhibit. It was a little bit of a web of art work all interesting at every turn. The young girl found herself happily lost amongst the art. It was all so different, so fascinating, categorized in such an interesting way. When River was happy with her time among this exhibit, she moved onto the next one.

River found herself outside, like she did very often in her life, in an exhibit called the Habitat. This exhibit was located in the Gardens of the Smithsonian and was filled with different little huts and ways in which individuals lived their lives out in nature. River could not help but feel intrigued. It had of course always been a thought about how to live on her own, seeing she basically took care of herself with the help of her older sister Emmaline. How wonderful it would be to be in a cabin in the wild, living off the land.

For the rest of the four hours, RIver spent her time exploring this exhibit, enjoying every aspect. The young Slytherin girl was disappointed when her time came to an end. She knew she had to return home or be stuck in a strange land, truly lost. So she made her way back to the portkey, ready this time for the head rush.

River grabbed ahold of the portkey, once more closing her eyes. She felt the familiar feeling of almost being torn away from the spot she stood, which was an accurate description of portkeys. Once the young girl opened her eyes again she was back at Hogwarts, in the History of Magic Classroom. She took her hand off the mummy and left the classroom already knowing which exhibit she was going to be writing the homework on.

Later that night, River took out her parchment, quill, and ink as she began to write about what she experienced today. One day the young Slytherin hoped to go back, but as of now she was happy to be back in her own country in her own school.

Essay said:
River Hopkins-Vance
First Year Slytherin
History of Magic Lesson Four

Habitat
The Habitat is an exhibit in the gardens of the Smithsonian Museum, located in Washington, DC, US. This exhibit is massive featuring a total of 14 exhibits total. The Habitat includes both exterior and interior exhibits in the garden spaces available. Although this may be an easy exhibit to ignore, since it is mostly in the outdoor area, it is not one that should be. The exhibit shows stories about habitats that one needs to live. It examines the plants, wildlife, animals and people that live in these areas. The overall goal of the exhibit is to show how important it is to protect these habitats. We often overlook such simplicity, but we need to find the beauty that comes from them, the self sustaining habitats that are not to be overtaken by humans in their conquest to expand. I found myself walking around for hours, seeing how others survive in these environments, but not survive but thrive. The animals and plants know their space and how to make the most of it. Something we need to protect as the exhibit explains.
Sources:
Habitat

Online Exhibit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)