DADA Fourth Years, Lesson Two

Lydia waited for her fourth years with a cup of steaming chamomile at her side. Having had younger students for most of her career as a professor, it was quite the shift to move to the Unforgiveable Curses. Today she would cast one of these curses on willing students. It was strange to know that using these curses in any other context could send her to Azkaban.

“Welcome. The Imperius Curse,” Lydia began, pausing as her students’ chatter lowered to whispers and silence, “allows the caster to control the person or creature they’ve used it on. The level of control depends on the experience and resilience of both the caster and the target.”

Lydia took a deep breath, smiling gravely at her students. “As discussed last week, I’ll be casting this curse on a handful of you today. Those who provided me the consent forms, please come forward if you still wish to participate.” She waited for the few brave souls who’d chosen to have the curse cast on them. When they had gathered at the front, she lined up each of them in front of the desks, spaced apart to lessen the chance of them hurting one another.

Raising her dominant arm, Lydia’s voice resounded through the classroom with a definitive “Imperio” for each target.

“Stand on the desk in front of you,” the professor commanded, watching as the students clambered onto the desks, some with students in them. “Now, off.” The students were dutiful as they returned to the floor.

“Do as many jumping jacks as you can,” Lydia instructed. She gave them fifteen seconds before she said, “lie on the floor and don’t move.” The students were now still as mannequins.

Then, Lydia lifted the curse. She gave the students some time to sit up and gather themselves. While the professor had few qualms about casting the Imperius Curse for teaching purposes, she decided being gentle with her volunteers would be the least traumatizing.

“Return to your desks, please,” Lydia said softly. Although this time they had a choice, the students all did as they were told.

“Volunteers- please share how you felt under the curse.” The professor listened along with the rest of the class as they described their experiences. After they were done, Lydia continued, “thank you for your participation in this lesson. You all will receive extra credit to your house.”

“Preventing another from casting the curse is difficult, but possible.”
Lydia returned to your desk. "Your best bet in a duel is to disarm or disable the caster before they can send the curse your way." She sighed. "I hope all of you go through life without encountering these curses outside of the classroom. For your assignment, please write an essay about the Imperius Curse, and return it to me before the start of our next class.”

Those who are interested in having the Imperius Curse placed on their student, please roleplay accordingly. Others, write your character's reaction.

Writing a short essay about the Imperius Curse will also earn extra credit (essays are never mandatory.)

Please tag me @Professor Lydia Drage if you wish for me to respond to your student within the lesson.

Charlie Helkovaara

Soft- Loves Sports- Finnish

OOC First Name
Jess S
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 13 1/2 Inch Flexible Fir Wand with Augurey Tail Feather Core
Charlie's school year was off to a swell start, though he found himself missing Rune more. He would need to find the time to catch the older Hufflepuff and try to keep his attention for a bit. Charlie liked his company. It was... easier, almost, being around Rune. Almost like Eugene, but not. He pushed the thought aside, and got ready for class.

Today was the defense lesson he'd been dreading, and he shot a bit of a glare @Eugene Nestor as they walked in. "I swear to god Eugene I will volunteer before I let you get up there," he threatened his friend idly, but thankfully someone else took the job so he didn't have to. He winced, staring pointedly at his desk and not at the demonstration upfront. He did his best to just block out the lesson, not wanting anything to do with it. When the lesson was over he grabbed his things and hurried out, not wanting to linger.

Eugene Nestor

musical maestro;passionate; accio! editor-in-chief

Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Sexual Orientation
too young
Wand
Knotted 13" Sturdy Pear Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Eugene was very busy with the new semester, it was going to be a busy week but at least the bulk of the pre work would be done for the yearbook, he’d still have the supers to work on, but the valentines event would be the last of it for a little while. The hufflepuff just had a lot of work to be doing, and this valentines event would be the last big event of the year for them, and they could shift into creation mode, where the work was focused on putting everything together, it was the more difficult straight of it, but he knew that given that everything else had gone perfectly fine there was no reason why this equally couldn’t go just fine. He just was kept busy with it, he was always doing things, always working and it was nice. Eugene had never minded being busy, and the work he was doing was rewarding, so he was generally very happy to do it. He was rushing back into the dorm, grabbing what he needed to and rushing back out and heading to class not wanting to get a moment behind and be late for his classes.

Eugene walked into the defence against the dark arts classroom. He’d considered it all week, thought about how it would be to give someone else control like he could. He’d filled out the form and in the end had handed it in. Deciding that he might as well. He could hear his mother’s voice in his head telling him that he experiences were good. He got to the Defence against the dark arts classroom and sat down at his usual spot. "I handed in the form, I'm doing it," Eugene told him. He was tapping the desk nervous with his fingers, his leg bounced underneath. He glanced around at others as they came into the room and then the professor got started. He nodded, the quill lightly in his hand as the professor got started on the lesson that they were covering. The teen was nervous but when the professor called anyone forward who’d handed in a form

Eugene just stood forward. His hands were shaking lightly at his sides, but the professor cast it on him and his hands stopped, all his anxiety towards it faded away and he just did as he was told, moving to stand on the desk that he was told to. He got back down a moment after and started doing jumping jacks. He did them until he was told to lie on the floor and remained as still as he could. The curse was lifted, and everything that had gone silent in his mind flooded back. It hadn’t been the worst experience but he knew why in other circumstances they weren’t allowed to do the spell. There had been no doubt in his mind over what he was supposed to do. He considered what to say about it. ”I was really nervous about it…and it all went away, I was just doing what I was told,” he said, speaking softly. He sat back down and sat rather numbly as the professor gave them a little more information about it before wrapping up the lesson and everyone was allowed to leave. He’d leave writing that essay for a couple of days.

Rhys Garner

HM reporter + sketcher + judgmental

OOC First Name
Charlie
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 11 Inch Flexible Elm Wand with Vampire Blood Core
Rhys was incredibly curious about this lesson now that he knew this year they would be going over the unforgivable curses. He had absolutely not signed himself up to be a test subject, so at least he didn't have to worry about that as he wandered into the classroom. Settling down, he was curious to see who had been stupid enough to volunteer, raising his brow as he watched a few students step forward once they had been asked. Volunteering to have an unforgivable curse used on you was either incredibly brave or incredibly stupid, and watching as they were ordered around, he was leaning more towards incredibly stupid. But it was still interesting to watch and he did have to wonder what it was actually like to be under the influence of the spell, but it was still not something he wanted to find out for himself. They were given some homework before they were dismissed and Rhys was sure to jot it down. Then he packed away his things and left the classroom, curious to see which curse they would see in their next lesson.

Valeria Iglesias

confident; artistic; selfish; alt beater

Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
boys <3
Wand
Straight 12" Sturdy Redwood Wand with Acromantula Web Core
Valeria walked into the defence against the dark arts classroom and took a spot in the room. She hadn’t dared to fill in one of the forms, she’d thought about it and then decided that it wasn’t something she actually wanted. Not at all. She took her spot in the class and glanced as the professor got things started, bringing the people who had filled in forms forward. She wasn’t too surprised at the usual suspects that were at the front. The teen watched as without hesitation they seemed to do what was asked of them. She stifled a little laughter, looking at how silly they looked while doing jumping jacks. Though of course the professor did eventually lift the spell and Val took some notes from what the students said about the experience and then the professor gave them a little extra information. The lesson was then wrapped up with only a little homework for them to do, so Val packed up her things and left the room.

Ivelisse Burleigh

anything you can do I can do better

OOC First Name
Marijke
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 14 Inch Flexible Laurel Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Ivelisse felt like there were many things that could make her life at hogwarts far more interesting. Perhaps she should really try and interact with her classmates some more or make new friends. Then again, maybe she should prioritize hanging out with the friends she already had. Between spending most of her free time on the pitch and making sure her homework was in order she hadn't exactly been trying her best in keeping up with them. She knew the valentine's dance was coming up though so perhaps that could be a fun distraction.

After last week's lesson Ive was curious to see how things would turn out today and quickly took her seat in the room when she arrived a little late. She watched as some of her classmates stepped forward when the professor asked for volunteers, keeping her eyes on them as the woman cast the curse on them. She had to admit it was awkward seeing one of her friends do whatever the professor said because of the curse. It was as if he had no mind of his own anymore. Ive listened as the volunteers told them what it had felt like before eventually packing up her stuff when class was dismissed.

The Imperius Curse is one of the three Unforgiveable Curses, the others being the Cruciatus Curse and the Killing Curse. The incantation for this curse is Imperio. When under the effects of this curse a victim will pretty much lose control over themselves. Instead, the person who cast the curse will be able to control whatever their victim does and can make them do whatever. There are two main differences between the Imperius Curse and the other curses. The first is that being placed under the Imperius Curse isn't necessarily an unpleasant experience, it's more like being in a trance. The second is that in rare cases people with incredible strenght (of mind) may be able to resist the curse.

source

Users who are viewing this thread