Curiosity Never Killed the Cat

Jessica Mercer

OOC First Name
Taylor
Yawning, Jess casually walked down this...'Bleak Street'. Well it definatly lives up to its name, Jess thought. She walked past rows of shops, with only a hint of fear, the fear not from where she was, but the people she was around. She was quite vulnerable in these parts, but something like that never stopped her. She shot glances at the windows of each shop, wondering how some of them were even aloud to run. Surely the ministry kept a closer watch on these parts. Jess pondered, but shrugged it off. Some shops seemed perfectly safe, others alot more shadier than others.

Rakas had been running, for no apparent reason. Why would someone need a reason to just run down an alley, especially one that he had no idea what it was called. His hair, now shorter and blonder, was slightly messed up from the wind. Rakas was a fast runner, having ran before he started walking when he was a baby. However, a girl caught his attention, and well, who would stop at this speed? Rakas tried to stop running, but instead, he tripped and landed on his face. He rolled on his back, and somehow, he managed to stop right behind the girl. He tapped her on the leg, and waved from the ground, "Hi, Jessica."

Jess was staring into one of the shops transfixed by a display in the window. She suddenly saw an unusual movement from the corner of her eye. Furrowing her brow she looked down the street, only to find no such movement. Confused she felt a tap on her leg that snapped her out of that state. Glancing down she saw Rakas waving at her from the ground. She burst out laughing and shook her head at the boy. "Do I dare ask how you got on the ground?" She said with a raised eyebrow, placing her hands on her hips. He must have fallen, that was obviously the movement she saw. How she wished she had of seen that happen, she cursed the display for distracting her.

Rakas blushed slightly, but yet, was glad that she hadn't seen what he did. He was lucky to not really run into Jessica, as that would have been embarrassing enough. He wiped off the chest part of his gothic jacket, and his emerald eyes remained fixed on Jessica. He shrugged, still haven't moved from the ground, "Um, well, that is an interesting story." He nodded, and wondered if he had fallen on his face, then why wasn't there any pain? Rakas sat up and shook his head. His hand felt his forehead, and there wasn't a knot there. Shrugging, he stood up and muttered, "At least I'm not bleeding..."

Jess threw her head back and laughed when Rakas said it was an interesting story. She looked back down at him and examined the hair change, it was different, but it suited Rakas. When he stood up and said he wasnt bleeding Jess glanced at his forehead, he was right, she nodded as a way of letting him know he still looked fine. Then the whole situation dawned on Jess and she let out a laugh with a shake of her head. "Your an idiot." She said fondly. "Nice new locks." She said letting her eyes flick up to his hair, a smirk on her face. She was glad she was able to see Rakas again before school. It was pretty unlikely that he would simply appear on the ground in front of her, but so he had!

Rakas continued to feel his face, feeling some ache from somewhere in his head. Shrugging it off, he turned his attention back to Jessica. He glanced at the ground, and back to her. He gave her a look and shook his head. He countered, "I am not. I'm just...not in the right state of mind." His hand went to his hair, and responded, "Thanks. I like it... A lot actually." Although, it would be a hassle to continue to dye his hair blond once his natural grew in. Rakas kicked the ground slightly, and couldn't help but say, "It is quite funny to run into you here. Or rather...see you here." Rakas didn't want to say that he tripped and fell,but was glad that she hadn't seen.

She chuckled at his countered statement. "It looks good on you." She nodded glancing up at his hair, it really did. The mohawk had been awesome, but she found this new look suited him more, maybe he wouldnt get as many strange glances from passer's by now.

Rakas voiced Jess's thoughts and she couldnt help but let a small grin reach her face. "Exactly what I was thinking, although I do think you owe me an explanation sometime as to why you appeared in front of me on the ground." She said seriously, pointing a lazy finger at Rakas. "What you doing around these parts anyway?" She asked curiosly, she had been down here for that exact reason, her curiosity, had Rakas been the same?

Rakas glanced at the display, and seeing his reflection from the glass slightly. He agreed, "I do believe it does suit me. I would be lying if I said that I miss the mohawk." He shrugged. It was a bit troubling to style it like that every day. He did not care for the odd looks he received. Rakas simply shrugged them off and moved on. Rakas bit his lip, and pouted, "Do I really have to give you an explanation over how I appeared on the ground?" He didn't want to, but well, he would share if Jessica really wanted to know. "Just...being myself, and not really having a purpose of where I am going, or my destination. Which reminds me, where are we?"

Jess watched Rakas speak with an amused look on her face. When he bit his lip and pouted though Jess couldnt help but let out a snort of laughter and reach out to ruffle his hair. She would admit it had been tempting to do so sinse she first noticed the change, but that pout made him look so young and adorable. "Naw ickle Rakas doesnt wanna tell me." She said in a playful tone. She withdrew her hand and more amusement grew on her facial features when he asked where they were. "We are in Bleak Street." She said matter-of-factly, finding it a little strange that Rakas didnt even know, what had he been doing before he fell?

Rakas felt her head upon his head, and impulsively, he jumped back about three feet. Rakas had an expression of terror on his face. Last time someone had touched him, other than Grezhen, it wasn't in the best way. Rakas was breathing heavily, and after a moment, he returned to his normal stance. Rakas stammered, "S... Sorry." He glanced at the ground. "Look, I was running, and I tripped and fell on my face." His voice was more serious than before, and he added, "When I run, I tend to lose all sense in direction, so..." He glanced about, hearing the name. "Bleak Street. Odd name."

Jess stared at Rakas, then at her own hand. What the? Was her only thought, why had he jumped. What did she do? Feeling only the slightest but guilty she looked at Rakas's terror stricken face. She didnt get it? Furrowing her brows, somewhat annoyed she watched him thoughtfully as he spoke about when he ran. She remained silent, muttering a small, "Yeah it is odd." Everything was awkward now. She still couldnt understand why he had acted that way. Wanting to change the subject, but nothing coming to mind, she stood rigidly, folding her arms after a short time. Well wont be trying that again any time soon, she thought to herself.

Rakas let out a sigh. Should he tell her why he acted in such a manner? Rakas murmured, "Jessica, I obviously don't respond well to physical contact. There are reasons why, but I don't know if I should share them. Azerail is the same way." Rakas stared at the ground, and did not move. He felt bad for jumping, even if it was harmless. However, it brought back painful memories, so what else could he do? Rakas didn't react offensively, thankfully. Azerail did sometimes, but Rakas only jumped. That was it. Rakas murmured, "I hope I didn't offend you, Jessica. You didn't do anything wrong."

Jess sighed, she wouldnt press Rakas for reasons, but now she knew it wasnt her. "Hey, its okay, I'm sorry too 'kay?" She said lightly, she didnt even have to think about using the word sorry either. Rakas continued to prove everything she thought she knew about herself wrong. She allowed her arms to unfold and once again take the places by her sides. The small bit of guilt she had felt before increasing. Everyone had something to hide, but now she knew and she made a note not to do it again. She looked past Rakas awkwardly, not sure what she should say next.

Rakas stared at Jessica before staring down at the ground. The silence was bugging him. He never liked silence, ever. He decided to make things less awkward. He approached Jessica and stood beside her, peering into the window of the store. Rakas inquired softly, "What brings you to a dark and gloomy place like this?" He glanced once more at her. He really didn't want to make things horrible, not between them. They had gotten along so well and Rakas did not want to spoil that over something as silly as him jumping from her.

Jess was greatful when Rakas broke that irritating silence. She didnt like things being awkward. Well not when it didnt suit her anyway. He asked what brought her here and she shrugged before answering. "Curiosity, plus the fact that Im not meant to be here, kind of made me want to come more." She said mischieviously. Looking into the display, she noticed this was one of the more civilized establishments. "Some of these places are drowning in illegal things." She said, even though she hadnt been in any shop down here yet, she didnt think she wanted to. It was all so creepy and the air about some of them, just plain evil.

OMG! I completely forgot about this thread, I am so sorry! >.<

Rakas nodded, "Curiosity can be dangerous, you know." Rakas smiled faintly, and glanced back into the window. Just the items in there left a sickening feeling inside his stomach. Rakas murmured, "They really look like it." Rakas couldn't retain a shiver running through his body. This place was creepy. And it would scare any child, and needless to say, it scared this nine-year-old boy. However, he had a growing urge to go explore more. But what would happen to them? There were weird people here and all...

Jess gave Rakas a face that said 'whatever', "Curiosity never killed the cat." She replied with a childish grin. She glanced back in the shop window, a cold shiver ran across her and looking back over at Rakas he had the same problem. "Well, I hate to admit it, but it is more than a little creepy down here." She said quietly, watching as a shifty character in a black cloak walked past them. Jess could handle being in a place that was scary, but if she was joined by creepy people, that gave her more than enough reason to be freaked out. She had learnt this lesson years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back