Cours de français dans la salle de merde

Kit Hartley

Cours de fran?ais dans la salle de merde

<r>Heart fluttering in his chest and a hollow feeling in the pit of his stomach, Kit crept into the library. He looked around in hopes that Kyle would be there already, but with no luck. Today was the day they started the French lessons. The main attraction was, of course, the French teacher, rather than the language itself. Kit would've been happy if Kyle were teaching him how to knit tea cosies, Kit'd still be excited about spending more time with him.<br/>
Eventually Kit decided to go sit down at a deserted table and wait. He didn't want to look too eager, or remind Kyle any more of how much younger than him Kit was. Who would want anything to do with a first year, anyway? <br/>
All of a sudden, Kit's eyes began watering and his nose tingled. <I><s></s>Oh no,<e></e></I> he thought, <I><s></s>please don't let me-<e></e></I> "AH-CHOO!" He winced at his own spectacularly loud sneeze, turning bright red as he heard a few snickers from around him. Dammit.</r>

Kyle woke up far too early on the morning he had been waiting for for weeks. He knew it was silly to be SO excited just to be giving Kit French lessons, but he couldn't help being très excité. It took him half an hour to decide which combination of blank t-shirt and jeans was the EXACT RIGHT combination of blank coloured t-shirt and jeans. After strapping on a watch and deciding to leave Eli napping in his cage, he dashed to breakfast, figuring at least eating something might settle the anxious bubbles in his stomach. He wolfed down a banana and a piece of toast, then headed straight for the library. Half an hour early, by his watch. Fiddling with the half-heart necklace he shared with Jessy, Kyle decided he might at least look for that book he needed for class next week. He got so engrossed in searching for that certain tome that by the time he found it he realised it was quarter past, and he was now LATE to meet Kit. A jolt of shock flooding his body, he turned around, abandoning the book, and all but ran back to the front of the library. He was almost there when he heard a sneeze, and slowed himself, realising just how loud he must be. Not quite panting, he reached Kit, smiling embarrassedly. "Hey." He said, body filling with warmth just at the sight of the boy. "Sorry I'm so late, I was looking for a book."

Kit sucked in a not-so-calming breath. He'd been lulled into a daydream, and Kyle popping up in front of him now was almost enough to induce some kind of panic attack. He coughed a little and told his heart to stop beating so damn quickly. "Uh, h-hi Kyle," he said, wanting to kick himself for the way his voice had come out so high and strangled. "That's okay, I was just... Sitting. I like sitting. Um." Ohgodohgodohgod what's wrong with me?? Kit pulled a face at the table as he lowered his head, trying not to let Kyle see how red he was.

Kyle watched, somewhat startled, as Kit babbles. For the first time since they had met, Kyle felt totally (well... mostly) at ease being around Kit, who, in reverse, seemed to have become the nervous babbler Kyle was last time they met. The strange role reversal made a quiet, hopeful part of Kyle speak up and squeak 'He likes you too!' The thought echoed around his mind like the ringing of the bells at Notre Dame de Paris. It filled him with a giddy, tingling warmth which lasted a few seconds, before all the doubts crept right back and banished all but the faintest of tingles, returning Kyle to the present.
"Sitting is pretty cool." He agreed, determined to keep his cool and avoid acting like un crétin at all costs. "Wanna get started on the French?" He asked, tingles of joy, excitement, anticipation, still racing through his body, making his hands tremble slightly, and his arms and legs feel like they were jelly, but jelly lighter than air; jelly free of the laws of physics. It was the best feeling Kyle had ever experienced, and he had to fight to keep an idiotic grin off his face.

Kit squeezed his eyes shut for a second and then looked back up at Kyle, pasting a smile on his face that he hoped looked less fake than it felt. He could feel that his face was still burning like nobody's business; he was determined that it not get any worse, though it inevitably would as long as he was around Kyle. The second year was so calm and collected... He wasn't making a complete and utter fool of himself.
"Oh, yeah, of course... What, um, what will we do... first?" Again, Kit wanted to beat himself up. Why was he speaking like such a moron?? He just wanted to appear normal.

Kyle smiled, determined to keep this cool, calm face, even if his insides felt like they were made of jellied butterflies. "Well, we could work on pronunciation, I guess? There's no use knowing how to speak French if you're doing it in a New Zealand accent. Je swees oon tap-ett." He said, forcing himself to pronounce his native language in his (accented) New Zealand accent against all his stronger instincts for demonstration. "Doesn't work. Je suis une tapette. Much nicer ring to it. So what you've got to remember is that A is pronounced 'aa' like the A in 'father', E by itself is pronounced 'ey' like the E in 'weigh', I is pronounced 'ee' like in the word 'fee', O is either like the O in 'cold' or the O in 'ton', and u is... difficult to describe. It's sort of... sharp. Kind of like the OU in 'soup', but not exactly the same. With me so far?" He smiled, hoping that had been a decent start to the lesson. He really had no idea how to teach French; it wasn't something he had been taught, he had simply known it for as long as he remembered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back