Donna
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Wand
Knotted 16 1/2 Inch Rigid Blackthorn Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Hello lovely HNZ!

It is once again that time of the month! The spotlight is when a particular character, as well as it's biography has stood out to site staff, and the work put in by the RPer we feel should be acknowledged. So that others may take inspiration from the way this particular character has been developed.

Please join me in congratulating Daphne for her character, none other than the great Tristan Collins! If you have a moment, have a look at his amazing biography!

As per usual, we asked Daph to answer a couple of questions for us,

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?
-SHARP INTAKE OF BREATH- -frantic arm movements-
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

What was the inspiration for your character?
Oh that takes me back a bit to when I first thought of Tristan before sorting him. He was only in my second year of sorting characters, and I was starting to branch out a bit more with different personality types after only sorting Amber in my first year. I already had Rose and Odette planned at the time, and Tristan sort of happened at the last moment because I wanted to use his PB and wanted to have a boy.

My initial inspiration for Tristan was that I wanted to try RPing a muggleborn character and seeing how being new to the magical world would drive him. I decided early on it would fuel both his desire to fit in as a wizard and ambition to stand out and be exceptional.

I knew from the start he would have character development over time that took him from being a pretty sweet kid (remember the days?) to the manipulative and scheming adult that he is now. I wasn't entirely sure what it would look like when I sorted him, but I always intended for him to change a lot during his years at Hogwarts. I remember expecting Slytherin for him as I sorted him, but apparently it was a toss up between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw. In the end, I love Hufflepuff for him a lot and will write an essay to support it if needed.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
This is SUCH a hard choice! Can I just name the whole Tristan/Vivian plot??? I'm going to cheat and do that. To this day, it's definitely the most long-term plot I have ever planned with anyone else. Rowan and I had a general outline for their story set around their second year, and it was already planned that things wouldn't completely escalate until their final year. The years leading up to that thread were a lot of fun to RP, especially with how others reacted to Tristan as a character as he became more and more awful to Vivian.

Where their romance began: https://hogwarts.nz/threads/touching-his-back-with-my-hand.23928/
Where it blows up in Tristan's face: https://hogwarts.nz/threads/what-you-break-is-what-you-get.90041/

(Honorable mention: Tristan and Jerara's duel in sixth year)

What is your favourite aspect of your character?
My favorite aspect of Tristan is how good he is at reading people and situations. I love writing that aspect of him and seeing how others react to him. I've always been very happy that even though everyone OOC knew he was trash, every other RPer with a professor or person in a position of power had them react realistically to the face Tristan showed them, rather than his real personality which he keeps hidden most of the time. I enjoy how he can manipulate people, partly because I really enjoy writing it? On the flip side, I also really enjoy writing him when he doesn't get his way. The joy of having him spend a whole semester being upset he didn't get head boy was real.

I also admire his drive and ambition a lot.

Your least favourite aspect?
Uhhh.... he's a lying cheater? xD I really wish Tristan worried a little bit less about his reputation and put less stock into opinions of others. If he hadn't worried about what everyone thought of him dating Vivian (because he's not 'popular' and a bit of a loner) he would have been a lot happier. He didn't realize what he had until the moment after he lost it. I imagine he realized he loved Vivian literally the second the other boy stormed into the great hall to yell at him, partly because he could see the strength and courage that took.

Now if he hadn't ruined it, that would have been great.

I don't like how cold he can be and how he can dismiss other people's emotions. But I don't see that aspect of him changing anytime soon. With losing Vivian, he's also lost a positive influence in his life. The only person he really has left is Jerara.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
I want to say no but it's probably yes? If I'm honest, Tristan has been one of my favorite characters to write, ever. I think I would want to meet him just because of that. I don't think we would get along. (Tbh, I don't think he would give me the time of day :r )

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
I feel like one of my strengths is variety in my characters, as I try to sort very different students every year. I think one of my strengths and reasons that they feel varied is that I'm good at giving characters layers and different sides to them. I try not to shy away from giving my characters a bad side or characteristics that are unpleasant. (Of which Tristan is a great example :p ) I also think I'm good at adding little details to characters that make them feel more real.

Your weakness?
Those little details are also a weakness of mine because I'm terrible at keeping track of them. I've had a few times where I randomly decided a little thing about a character, only to forget about it and contradict it later. One great example of this is how I forgot to save Tristan's sorting post initially. By the time I got it back to add it to his bio Tristan was in his third or fourth year. I had RPed him for those three or four years as an only child, only to see in my sorting post that I mention a little brother I had written in and then immediately forgotten about. (He is no longer canon :p )

Another weakness I have is wanting too much sometimes. I feel like it's been harder and harder to make unique student characters because I want to sort many different ones, and they start to overlap a bit at times. I also have trouble getting as inspired for adult characters, even though I want to do more RPs outside of Hogwarts as well.

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
In my last spotlight I recommended pinterest as a visual medium to help you develop your character, I still really recommend that!

Another thing I recommend is trying to flesh out your character by really thinking of their motivations for things. Why do they want to do what they do? Why do they behave the way they do towards others? What is important to them? Does this tie into their background? Where does this come from? And (especially with teenagers) how is this changing as they grow up?

I also recommend OPEN RPs! I mention that the Tristan and Vivian plot has been planned very early on, but another aspect of Tristan's life that I've come to love a lot is his friendship with Jerara Tapsell. This was completely unplanned and only happened because of an open topic (I believe) set in their first year. We developed them as friends over the years, and it has become really wonderful.

I do enjoy plotting big things and taking time to set them up, but I also would really recommend being flexible and open when planning out a character. Don't plan everything in advance, but keep room for unexpected things. It's the joy of a format like this.

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
I'm looking forward to Quidditch and the yule ball, as well as the rest of this school year (it's going by so fast!)

Personally, I'm also looking forward a lot to having more varied ages on HNZ. I'm starting to get to the point where I have graduates each year, and it's fun to have more well-developed adult characters on HNZ I can possibly do more with. I hope to do more with them after graduation. (Hit me up for any graduate plots!)

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
Going to say what everyone says: the community. I've made a lot of wonderful friends on HNZ, and it's always felt very welcoming. I really appreciate how everyone is ready to help each other out and develop stories together.

I also really love how polished and well taken care of the site is. Especially with the move throwing a wrench into a lot of old systems, I really appreciate how everything has been set back up. It just adds something extra wonderful to have a working Quidditch system, shop system, gradebook, and things like that. I think it's easy to forget how much it adds to HNZ, but I think it really helps keep this wonderful community going.

Congratulations again Daphne!

Donna :donna:
~On behalf of the site staff

Elliot Briar

American | Softie | Nervous™

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
10 1/2 Inch Alder Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Yess, congrats, Daph! Tristan is easily one of my fav chars of yours, so well deserved :party:

Zennon Baros

Parselmouth / Secretive / Hates Confrontation

OOC First Name
Teigs
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual (Homoromantic)
Wand
Straight 14 1/2 Inch Sturdy Cypress Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
OMG DAPH, congrats! Tristan is such a great character and I can't wait for the chance to rp him with Carter :r

You're a wonderful writer!

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🌼ollivanders asst🌼

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

CONGRATS DAPH!!!!! This is SO well deserved, Tristan is AMAZINGLY well written and I'm so so so so so glad for all the plots I've gotten to do with him over the years. You've put so much thought & work into him and I'm so happy about this :wub:

In the end, I love Hufflepuff for him a lot and will write an essay to support it if needed.
I know I've heard it all before but I still demand this essay :p

Hayley Elridge

🐍 Grad 49 | Snarky | Artist | Punk 🔥 Revolutionary

OOC First Name
Jasmine
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
lesbian
Wand
Straight 13 Inch Flexible Ash Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
WOOO! CONGRATULATIONS DAPH!
Tristan is such a terrible person amazing character, and I’m always in awe at how well you write him :D

Evelyn Manning

👗 Fashion model | Ambitious | Former Gryffindor

OOC First Name
Jamie
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Lucas
Wand
Straight 11 Inch Flexible Ash Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Yeah congrats Daph! Tristan is cool ^_^

Paige Thompson

Middle child | Peacemaker

OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Straight 12 1/2 Inch Sturdy Blackthorn Wand with Demiguise Hair Core
Congratulations Daphne!

Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Yaaaas, congrats! You know how I feel about Tristan. ^_^

Rama Mowry

putting the rama in drama

OOC First Name
Lovi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
bi (syrus)
Wand
Knotted 11 Inch Unyielding Mahogany Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
be right back. need to find a meme that accurately shows how happy I am.

Congrats!! Tristan is my faveeeee.

Professor Monty Pendleton

☕ Inventor | Potions 1-4 | Deputy Headmaster ☕

OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
Congrats Daph!!! :party: Tristan is soo much fun to read :teehee: I've really enjoyed watching him develop from an innocent little first year to now :glare:

Samuel Phillips

Part-Veela | Artist | Scrivenshafts Owner

OOC First Name
Annaleise
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Straight 11 1/2" Flexible Cypress Wand with Veela Hair Core
Congrats Daphne!! Tristan is a great character and this is well deserved :D

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
I know you've mentioned having a plan for Tristan to develop, as well as the Trivian plot being a long time coming, but I'm still curious how much of Tristan's arc at school was planned and how much (like with Jerara) happened organically. Were there any big changes or actions/threads that really caught you be surprise?

Nicolas Mariani

legal guardian • in family business • ambitious

OOC First Name
Clara
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Yuuussss congrats Daph!! :party: It’s very well-deserved and I always love to read any threads that involve Tristan xD

Elsie Baros

Creative | Not Confident | Vegan

Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Curved 8 1/2 Inch Swishy Applewood Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Elliot Briar said:
I know you've mentioned having a plan for Tristan to develop, as well as the Trivian plot being a long time coming, but I'm still curious how much of Tristan's arc at school was planned and how much (like with Jerara) happened organically. Were there any big changes or actions/threads that really caught you be surprise?
I would also be curious to know this!

Tristan Collins

🖋️Two-faced | Ambitious | Charming🖋️

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
Curly 11 Inch Swishy Ash Wand with Kelpie Hair Core
I'm so happy about this :wub: thank you guys for the kind reactions!
I know I've heard it all before but I still demand this essay :p
I'll write out the shorter version :p

I think Tristan being sorted into Hufflepuff fits especially for how he was at age 11, he always had the ambitious streak inside him but back when he first learned about the wizarding world the thing that was most on his mind was fitting in. He didn't want anyone to be able to see or notice he was muggleborn, and worked hard to be part of the group.

While I think if Tristan was sorted today he would be a Slytherin, I do still think Hufflepuff suits him. The hard working aspect more than the loyalty, though he's also very loyal to himself a select few people. What I think differs him from a typical Slyherin too is his love for rules. I won't say he would never break a rule for his own advantage, but for the most part Tristan prefers to use set rules and societal expectations for his own goals, rather than breaking or avoiding them. He's a big fan of structure, and always wants to move up in the world by meeting and exceeding existing expectations. He'd rather work for something honestly than get it through sneaky means, though he isn't entirely above that either.

Most of the big relationship stuff was planned in advance or at least very early on. For the plot with Vivian we originally had a fairly different ending planned. At least in reasons for their breakup, not in the end result. Originally Tristan was going to date Vivian's younger sister which would be the final straw, but Rowan ended up not playing that character anymore and we found a different way to do it. I do enjoy how it ended up, as it became more about Vivian no longer accepting how Tristan treated him in what (to me) felt a very natural way.

Out of Tristan's other relationships, we had planned him and Kauri pretty early on too. With October we were less sure, as we didn't know if they would get along or not. I knew Tristan would definitely be interested in her, but we weren't sure if it would be mutual. All the other people Tristan went to dances with or kissed were completely unplanned and happened along the way.

Personality wise, I think Tristan turned out colder/meaner than I had originally intended. I always knew he was going to be awful to Vivian, but he turned into a more cold and calculating person than I could have imagined when I first sorted him. The plot with Rory Fergusson where Tristan first encountered prejudice has a bit to do with that, and that was also entirely unplanned. It's another of my favorite plots with Tristan, and I still really like the topic where they got into a fight. (A fun detail in that topic I love is how Rory, the pureblood, punched Tristan in the face. While Tristan, the muggleborn, went for his wand first. I always enjoy little details like that)

Tristan's social ambition was an early concept, as it's what causes him to hide his relationship with Vivian. But I don't really remember how early on I knew he wanted to work at the Ministry. I think it was fairly early on, but only over the later years have I realized that Tristan's true ambition is to be Minister of Magic one day.

There's also stuff I couldn't plan for but was happy that happened. Most of these have to do with Tristan getting or not getting positions he really wants. He was very happy when he became prefect, but very upset when he didn't become head boy. Same with the brotherhood. He became Vice President, but was then skipped as actual President. It made me realize Tristan doesn't cope well with disappointment. I really enjoyed getting to explore those things.

Last thing is that I really liked RPing him in the duelling tournaments over time, especially in the last years. I've noticed that you can really use your character's personality in the sort of spells they choose. Tristan is very efficient and to the point. The goal of the duel is to knock out the other person or make them unable to cast spells, so Tristan tended to stick with a simple stunning spell. I've realized over time that Tristan is probably one of my least imaginative and creative characters. Which is also not something I planned.

Oh no I wrote a lot

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
So clearly Tristan's ambition and obsession with image has burnt him before :)r ), do you think he's learnt anything from what happened at school going forward into his career/life now?

Tristan Collins

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
What's Tristan's favourite colour?
Actually had to think about this for a while xD it's blue I think.

So clearly Tristan's ambition and obsession with image has burnt him before :)r ), do you think he's learnt anything from what happened at school going forward into his career/life now?
Haha... I think he learned the exact wrong lesson. What Tristan is taking away from the whole experience is that he shouldn't let anyone close, as it is too risky. So exactly the opposite of what he should have learned, probably. :p

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
So I find Tristan's forgotten brother kind of hilarious... if he did exist, do you think it would have dramatic changed anything about Tristan's character/development?

Sapphire Michaels

Clever- Mischievous- Snarky

OOC First Name
Jessica
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Pear Wood, Unicorn hair core, 14 inches
I have one! First off, this is one of the characters I loved to hate. Like 'ugh he's suck a d*ck" but I still got excited to see his threads pop up. He's extraordinarily well written. Im curious what he has planned for after school, though. Outside of the ministry job, anyway.

Tristan Collins

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
Wand
@Elliot Briar interesting question!
I can give two answers for this, because I feel like it would depend on if his brother was magical or not.

If his brother was magical I feel like Tristan would feel slightly superior to him for knowing more already, but also try to help him be the best he could be. He would probably try to put on a bit of a mentor role to make his brother a good wizard (like him) and have a good kind of reputation (like him). He would hate it if he had been a jock or not interested in school. He also probably would have made him hide he was muggleborn.

If his brother was a muggle, Tristan would probably have lost a lot of contact and relationship with him like he has with his parents. Over time, Tristan started resenting the muggle world and what it represented to him. He stopped returning home for Christmas around sixth year. I think he wouldn't be very close to a muggle brother anymore, though I do sort of wonder if it would be a bit less bad than it is now with just his parents. Maybe his brother could have been a connection to the muggle world he could never fully cut off? I'm not sure.

@Sapphire Michaels I have a few things brewing, but nothing too set in stone. Most of the grand plans for Tristan were set at Hogwarts. I also just kind of want to see how he does in his job and what sort of connections he'll make now. But I do know he intends to run for Minister in a future election, and I have a few ideas of how that would go :r.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)