Character Spotlight: September

Each month, we look to highlight a character who is exceptionally developed in some way. It might be that they have a great bio, great development area, a fun, creative way to show aspects of the character, some fun roleplays, etc. Usually, it's some combination of what I've mentioned and more!

This month, we are happy to announce that the spotlight is on Victoire Fontaine, the new New Zealand Minister of Magic, roleplayed by Emzies! :party:

Congratulations!! ^_^

Please join us in asking Emzies questions about this character or character development in general throughout the month of September!

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?
I kinda knew this was coming, so my initial thought was not of surprise, but of honour. It's always nice to have a character be selected for this, especially after the win of the election.

What was the inspiration for your character?
Victoire was created back in 2014 which is quite a while ago now so my memory on what inspired her is a bit hazy. I think I wanted a character named Victoire who wore red ribbons in her hair, and the rest about her was built up from that. I can't mind what led the rest of the inspiration for the character, like the particular history of it.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
It's difficult to pick out one, but pretty much any with Jean Snow were so fun, and especially the ones around Avie's death. Those were some good RPs and good development for the character. They were sad RPs, but they were good. Victoire's own graduation was particular fun for the like dark sad shadow overhanging in it.

What is your favourite aspect of your character?
Victoire is a very confident and determined person. She's formed by her life experiences, and her determination to do things right is something I really enjoy. She's always been fun to get in the head of.

Your least favourite aspect?
Victoire is very status quo, she won't ever push the boat too much, and I think in a character with so much drive that can be a bit boring at times. Where a wilder, less predictable character, it's never the same, there's always a chance they do something a little off the wall. With Victoire being very straight laced, very much believes that things are good as they are, you can't really have the wild card.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
I think it would be fun to meet her. I think we'd get along to a degree, but would fundamentally disagree on how to go about doing things. Not only that, but I've certainly worked with her types and can get along perfectly well with them, so I do think I'd get along with her.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
I ask a lot of questions in the initial phase of developing characters, and try to get a handle on the answers to these. So it's like a thought cloud, you start with the base idea of a character then ask questions like what's the family, what are those people like, how does the character feel about them. If they weren't around, how would the character be, etc. It does tend to mean I have a lot of information and this can result in some lengthy apps.

Your weakness?
Being brief at times? But really it's two pronged, one I'm pretty forgetful, so little things about characters like allergies, or pets I will forget about. With it though is that I'm not very good at like favourites, patronuses or hobbies. It's like when I try to think of a favourite colour but suddenly all I know are three colours, I'm awful at animals, suddenly dogs and cats are the only creatures that exist. So I can get broad histories and emotions, but like the basics of what a character can do with their time or what animals they like, and I'm clueless.

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
RPing is an excellent way to develop a character, like start open threads, join other people's open threads. You can plan a character, can plan their story, but in the end, when they start interacting with people, when they meet people and get into situations, you learn about how they deal with things, and they might not do as you expected. So, in short, RP and plan for the unexpected.

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
I have some really fun plots coming up, and with this character specifically I have plans and ideas for what to in her new position. Currently, it's about trying to space them out and not bombard folks with 600 things to do with the ministry. It's going to be a lot of fun to take this character I've had for ages and have her do things with the ministry position she holds.

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
This is probably a bit different for me than most because I have a fundamentally different relationship to the site than most. The people are always a common answer here, but honestly, for me, working on the site with the other admin/GMs has been really rewarding. Giving back to the site in a really substantial way and though some days it can suck, there's no world in which I don't say yes to doing it.

And don't forget to check out Victoire's development, biography, and relationship pages!

~Cyndi
(on behalf of the site staff)

Monty Pendleton

⚙️ Inventor | Grandfather ⚙️

OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
Congratulations Emzies!!! :party: It's been so fun watching Victoire grow up, I remember her being like a third year maybe when I came back, and now look at her :wub:

What event(s) in her life if any would you say motivated her to get into politics?

And what would her absolute ideal world look like?

Amber Chou Wilson

💗 Friendly | Gladrags Shopkeeper | 2048 Grad💗

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Gay (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Congrats Emzies! I've loved seeing Victoire develop, I remember her being a seventh year when I joined the site with Amber xD

Well deserved!

Poppy Perkins

Chronically Enthusiastic 🌼 '56 Grad

OOC First Name
Kadi
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Sturdy Vine Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Congrats Emzies! I still consider myself to be a somewhat new member at times, so seeing a character whose gone all the way through school, into adulthood, and now is minister is really cool! And I imagine very satisfying haha.

Since you've had the character so long, was minister always something you considered for her future? Or was it a later decision?

Analei Westwick

Bobcat | Happy | Auror

OOC First Name
Donna
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual (Edmund)
Wand
Curly 9 1/2 Inch Sturdy Elm Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Omg heck yes Emzies!!! Congratulations!!! :wub::wub:

Victoire Fontaine

serving the people | mama of two

OOC First Name
Emzies
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 12 1/2" Sturdy Alder Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
What event(s) in her life if any would you say motivated her to get into politics?

And what would her absolute ideal world look like?

Since you've had the character so long, was minister always something you considered for her future? Or was it a later decision?

For the first question, Victoire was always interested in politics, she had a family that was fairly politically minded and were active in that sphere, so before she got into Hogwarts that was something she was aware of. I think her schooling really influenced her to get involved, especially at the prejudice that she faced for being muggleborn, her friend dying in a likely preventable manner, her first boyfriend also dying in her early adulthood because of quidditch, her husband experiencing terribly things at the hands of his family. All really motivated her to want to help prevent others from experiencing that.

Her ideal world would be one not too dissimilar than the one which exists, with just more resources to help families, punishment for discrimination, lifeguards at the lake and proper protections and safety for quidditch.

I'd say for the last question it was a later decision. I didn't set out creating Victoire with the idea that was what she wanted. However, the surrounding circumstances of her development meant that I began considering it as she got older. She developed an interest in her education and then decided she wanted to work for the ministry, and all the things which happened to her were all things that made me decide that she should do try for it at some point. I did consider applying for the last election with her, but thought she was too young and had more fun with having characters do bad things.

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🪄ollivanders🪄

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core and 6'5" Sturdy Carved Walnut Staff With Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Congrats Emzies! Victoire was a student a bit before I came back to the site, so it's been really fun learning about her through the campaign & I'm so looking forward to her & Rupert working together for the next IC decade >:3

My question is; what was your favourite part of RPing her on the campaign trail?

Users who are viewing this thread