Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
Hi everyone!!

Yep, it's July already, and with the first of the month comes another Character Spotlight!! :party: The creativity of HNZers never ceases to amaze us, and once a month we like to showcase the hard work of one unsuspecting roleplayer by thrusting their character into the spotlight for everybody to see! This character might have an amazing biography, a well thought out development, or they might just have stood out to us as being active and fun to read!

This month, join us in congratulating Mark Ross, roleplayed by the super cool Deniss!! If you have a few minutes to check out his biography and development, I would absolutely recommend it. Such a well developed character already, and he's only a first year!! :frantics:

As is tradition, we asked Deniss to answer a few questions:

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?
Well, my message to Claire says it all: “Ooooh myyy Goooooodi aeiowtvhawoeitvhowahtvoawetv!!!”

What was the inspiration for your character?
I always tend to create characters that have quite a lot characteristics that I have, so I wouldn’t have any trouble roleplaying them. When I started taking part in another RPG, when I was like eleven years old, I even created a character with my real name & surname. For this character I decided to finally step out of my comfort zone and try to create something completely opposite of me. All that Mark has from myself is just some appearance similarities and one or two characteristics that I could also say about myself, in real life. I really wanted to challenge myself and just see what I’m capable of.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
I haven’t been in many yet as I just re-joined this site, but probably my favourite one is with Eric, Lonely Evening. I just wanted to see how two such different characters could interact and where it would go from there.

is your favourite aspect of your character?
Probably his creativity, singing abilities, empathy. Creativity is one of skills that Mark has from me and I just have always admired people who can find non-ordinary solutions for all kind of problems. Creativity for Mark is not only in that way, it also appears in his writing skills (writing poems).

Your least favourite aspect?
His fear of losing friends and his value for friendship. I’m also a person who values friendship really high and I think that everyone should remember that people come and go and the right ones will stay.

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
Actually, I would want to meet him. As I mentioned before, he has some of my characteristics and appearance similarities, yet he’s pretty different, so I would love to see our interaction and where it would go from there - I’m wondering - could we even become friends, if we’d met, because Mark loves spending time alone, while I need some alone time like once a month for few hours, meaning the rest of my time I spend with my friends or at work.

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
Honestly, I don’t know. I always try not to overvalue my characters and not make them too ideal. I used to have a problem with my characters being the best at everything in the past, but now I’ve learnt that it isn’t a good thing.

Your weakness?
It’s pretty difficult for me to sometimes remember that my characters aren’t like me. For example Mark is really shy and isn’t that easy friend-maker like I am. I sometimes tend to forget that fact and act as if he’s really good at that too and then I re-read my post before posting and I just delete all the text and start writing again.

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
Don’t think too much, don’t plan too much - I think that the best choice is just to go with the flow as that way it is more interesting to write and to read for others. What you're feeling at the moment is the best choice! (but that's just my opinion! :D)

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
I’m definitely looking forward to sorting, to make new characters to sort and just the new school year already, as I have some ideas for that! Also I’m looking forward to finally responding to all plots and I’m sorry for everyone that I’ve made waiting for that long! (sooorrryyy! :D)

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
How is this even a question?! Everything! Like all these friendly people, all these plots that I’m reading from my work and just everything! I love how everyone is so accepting, I remember being here 5-6 years ago, being like 13-14 years old and not understanding anything, yet staff accepted me as a professor and I just sometimes re-read my old posts and just cringe at myself. This site is one of my favourite ways to spend my free time (even at work, like now :D). And while I have a chance - I just wanted to say that all these people are seriously amazing here and I’m happy that I’ve found this site!!

Huge congrats Deniss :hug: I'm really looking forward to seeing how Mark continues to develop as he grows up!

~Clairey :claire:
(On behalf of the site staff)

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Monty Pendleton

Inventor | Potions 1-4 | Adoptive Father | Deputy

OOC First Name
Claire
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Straight 9 1/2 Inch Rigid Walnut Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
July's character spotlight is here, and this month we're celebrating the awesome character that is Mark Ross!! :party:Please join us in congratulating Deniss, and feel free to chat here about his character and ask any questions you might have about him! ^_^

Elliot Briar

American | Softie | Nervous™

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
10 1/2 Inch Alder Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Yaay Deniss, definitely well deserved :lol:

Ainsley Lynch

🌼head in the clouds🌼6'3"🌼 🌼ollivanders asst🌼

OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Amber ) ( Pansexual
Wand
Knotted 12 Inch Flexible Pine Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
Congrats Deniss! Mark is an amazing character and this is super well deserved!

Lyla Edwards

Bartender @ The Medley//Dervish & Banges Assistant

OOC First Name
Harleigh
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
27.94 cm Applewood, slightly springy, unicorn hair core
Yay Deniss! That's awesome. Congrats.

Mark Ross

Marky | Lonely Singer

OOC First Name
Deniss
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Almond Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Phoenix Tail Feather
Thank you, Claire! :party: and thank you guysss! This has really made my start of the month really awesome!! :wub::wub:

Professor Cyndi Kingsley

Gryffindor HoH | Mother of 3

OOC First Name
Cyndi
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Divorced
Wand
Knotted 15 Inch Flexible Oak Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Has there been anything about your character that's turned out different from what you originally thought would happen when you created the character?

Asaiah Murphy

Impulsive | Macaws Beater

OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curved 14 Inch Rigid Cypress Wand with Acromantula Web Core
Congratulations, Deniss!

Ilija Olaf

📚 quiet academic; sporty; compassionate 📚

OOC First Name
Pheeb
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Hetrosexual
Wand
Straight 11 inch Larch wand with Hippogryff Feather
Yay well done ;D

Liam Waldgrave

Beater + Co-Captain | Biggest Flirt | Confident

OOC First Name
Jamie
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Wand
Straight 10 Inch Sturdy Fir Wand with Erumpent Hide Core
Congratulations!

Chante Ateara

Smol Giantess (6'2) 👩‍🍳 6th Year 🍮 F&B Asst

OOC First Name
Madz
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
13' Applewood Core of Meteorite Dust
Congrats Deniss! I'm looking forward to writing with you more, and from what I can tell Mark is great!

Amber Chou Wilson

💗 Friendly | Gladrags Shopkeeper | 2048 Grad💗

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Homosexual (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Congrats Deniss! Let's RP him with Eric again next year, I think Eric is great as a bad influence on him :p

Well deserved :hug:

Mark Ross

Marky | Lonely Singer

OOC First Name
Deniss
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Has there been anything about your character that's turned out different from what you originally thought would happen when you created the character?
Honestly, when I was writing biography for Mark, I thought that I would create him as most of my characters - active, good-looking, with good communication skills and a lot of friend, but then as I was choosing over my characters playby, I decided to pick duhitzmark and I just thought that he actually looks a bit like a shy kid with communication problems (at least that's what I saw). And then I just decided to make Mark different than I thought at first.

Congrats Deniss! Let's RP him with Eric again next year, I think Eric is great as a bad influence on him :p

Well deserved :hug:
I would love that! :creep:

and thank youu everyone!! :)

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Hey Deniss, congrats again! You've mentioned how Mark is a bit of a shy and lonely kid, and it seems like he was pretty isolated from his parents growing up too. Do you think his relationship with his parents does/will affect how he relates to others as he grows up?

Last edited:

Mark Ross

Marky | Lonely Singer

OOC First Name
Deniss
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Didn't notice your question, sorry! Well, I think Mark being isolated from his parents while growing up has already affected him - he is pretty shy, not so good at communicating with other kids. His mother didn't have that much free time to spend with him, she was rather a workaholic and all she was thinking about is how to develop her future career in her work and his father didn't have that much interest in Mark's development. I think that in the future Mark will also have more trust issues with others, seeing how he was treated by his parents, although maybe he'll find a way to get over this.

Stefan Archer

Head Librarian

OOC First Name
Emzies
Blood Status
Unknown
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Knotted 12 1/2" Sturdy Fir Wand with Thestral Tail Hair Core
Congrats Deniss! This is very well deserved!
Perhaps building on what Kris asked, do you his creativity will play a role in isolating him further into the future? Given that things like writing poetry are fairly solitary things.

Daisy Parker

Meow Meow Meow 🐶

OOC First Name
Donna
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Wand
Knotted 16 1/2 Inch Rigid Blackthorn Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Also, what's his favorite thing to eat?

Chante Ateara

Smol Giantess (6'2) 👩‍🍳 6th Year 🍮 F&B Asst

OOC First Name
Madz
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Looking)
Sexual Orientation
Pansexual
Wand
13' Applewood Core of Meteorite Dust
Hey Deniss! Congrats again.

I will admit I need to reread your bio again, so I apologise if this is already mention.

Is there someone else Mark can talk to besides his parents? Like a distant relative he confides in but not often?

Also, does he have a favorite poet? If so, what you think will be Mark's favorite poem by that poet?

Mark Ross

Marky | Lonely Singer

OOC First Name
Deniss
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Congrats Deniss! This is very well deserved!
Perhaps building on what Kris asked, do you his creativity will play a role in isolating him further into the future? Given that things like writing poetry are fairly solitary things.
Thanks, Emzies! Well, I think it definitely will play a role as he already is pretty lonely and the reason he actually started growing creatively may be because he had to spend time somehow and he couldn't just do nothing. I think creativity will play a role in isolating him from others, definitely.

Also, what's his favorite thing to eat?
Love this question, Donna! :D His favourite thing to eat is milk chocolate, but from "normal food" probably all kind of pastas.

Hey Deniss! Congrats again.

I will admit I need to reread your bio again, so I apologise if this is already mention.

Is there someone else Mark can talk to besides his parents? Like a distant relative he confides in but not often?

Also, does he have a favorite poet? If so, what you think will be Mark's favorite poem by that poet?
Mark confides more in his grandmother, although he pretty much lost contact with her too when his dad decided to move to New Zealand. Mark thinks that in few years his friend would replace his family.
And he hasn't found a poet that he could call his favourite yet, although he really enjoys reading Shakespeare & Alexander Pushkin

Elliot Briar

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Hmm Mark's spotlight seems to be missing a very important 💡

Mark Ross

Marky | Lonely Singer

OOC First Name
Deniss
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
If Mark could be named something else, what would he want his name to be?
Thanks for the question, Donna! Well, Mark loves his name and hadn't thought that much about what would he want his name to be other than Mark, but if he had to change, he would change to Marcus or would stay Mark. (Marcus is also the name I introduce myself as in real life, when I don't want someone to know my real name or I'm sure that I won't contact that person a lot :r)

Lyra Potter

Thundelarra Thunderers Chaser & Pregnant

OOC First Name
Kait
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Vine Wand with Chimera Scale Fragment Core

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)