Character Spotlight: August

Who will it be this month?? No need to wonder, just keep reading! :p

Each month, we look to highlight a character who is exceptionally developed in some way. It might be that they have a great bio, great development area, a fun, creative way to show aspects of the character, some fun roleplays, etc. Usually, it's some combination of what I've mentioned and more.

This month, we are happy to announce that the spotlight is on Marnie Frogg, roleplayed by Kris! :party:
I just loved how colorful Marnie's bio was. It's an instant mood booster! ^_^

Congratulations!! ^_^

Please join us in offering Kris a huge congratulations on their work and don't forget to join the spotlight chat to ask Kris for more of their insights into their character development.

Check out Marnie's biography and aesthetics!

What was your initial thought when you were contacted about being spotlighted?
After I realized this PM wasn't exam related I had to laugh because of course Marnie managed to get everyone's attention haha

What was the inspiration for your character?
The original idea for Marnie was actually inspired by a craft youtuber I follow. I used their sort of general excitability and chaotic approach to art as a starting point and from there Marnie really developed her own unique quirks and personality.

What is your favourite RP that your character has taken part in?
I think so far my favourite is actually her Yule Ball thread with Michael Watson, Decked Out

What is your favourite aspect of your character?
I think my favourite is probably what everyone else has noticed about her and it's her ridiculous motor mouth. It's a very fun stream of consciousness style thing to RP and quite unlike everything else I've ever RPed before.

Your least favourite aspect?
Probably also her motor mouth haha. It's fun but also exhausting to write that much dialog and have to figure out what exactly she's going to ramble about in any given thread

If you could meet your character in real life would you want to? Why or why not?
I think it'd be really novel to meet her, she's certainly interesting to talk to but maybe only in a small dose before I'd need to go recover from that barrage of energy

What do you feel your strength in developing characters is?
Your weakness?

It feels appropriate when talking about Marnie but I feel like I've gotten a pretty good handle at giving my characters a unique voice when I'm RPing them. I tend to think a lot about how certain characters talk, the specific word choices or body language they like to favour and it really helps me keep my characters feeling distinct and keep my writing in character across different accounts (for example, obviously Marnie talks casually and unfiltered constantly vs Brooke who speaks very formally and rarely says what she's actually thinking).

Weakness wise I think I tend to take my characters and threads much too seriously and forget how fun it can be just to do threads or plots that don't really have an over arching purpose. Not everything has to be about character growth, sometimes I can do things just cause they're fun but I tend to forget that and get myself locked into too ridged ideas of how a character "should" be progressing.

What would you recommend to those looking to further develop their characters?
I think one the things I enjoy most about characters is really not shying away from making plots revolve around their flaws. It's one thing to give your character negative traits, it's another to really have those traits impact your character's life. Teenagers/tweens have messy emotions and often make a lot of really bad decisions and personally I really enjoy characters just being petty or rude or impulsive in ways that can screw things up for them for no other reason than they're young. Not every character doing bad things has to be a "bad person", they're just stupid sometimes.

What are you most looking forward to on HNZ in the next several months?
sorting sorting SORTING SORTING

What is your favourite part of HNZ?
Obviously it feels remiss not to mention the wonderful friends I've made on site but I still think my favourite thing (outside of an excuse to make a million characters god I love making characters it's an affliction) is the incentive and opportunity to write regularly. I really fell out of the habit before joining HNZ and i love that writing is now such a regular part of my life again :wub:

Professor Charles Abberline

Trans 5-7 | Enthusiastic

OOC First Name
Steven
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Evan
Wand
Straight 11 1/2 Inch Unyielding Mahogany Wand with Acromantula Web Core
Congrats, Kris! Marnie is genuinely one of my favourite characters at the moment!

Harper Alston

we are born not once, but again and again

OOC First Name
Ana
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Single
Wand
Straight 12.5'' Flexible Larch Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
Congrats Kris! :party: Marnie's threads are always a fun read :D

One Marnie-related question: She's such a cheerful kid, so I was wondering, what would it take to make her angry?
And one non-Marnie question: What's your favorite mistake/bad decision that one of your characters has made?

Aine Thompson

Least Relaxed Hufflepuff

OOC First Name
Camilla
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 13" Rigid Pine Wand, Meteorite Dust Core
Congrats Kris! I love Marnie so much she's so cute and fun and energetic :wub: your threads with her are always great reading!

Last edited:

Samantha Jacobs

'55 grad 🎓 | olivanders asst. | biggest heart ❤️

OOC First Name
Maria
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Sexual Orientation
Bi ) ( Ren
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence Of Sphinx Remains
Congrats Kris!! So well deserved!! Marnie is one of my faves! I love her energy and how talkative she is! Congrats again! <3

Nikko Blackwood

soft jock 🏄 painfully independent 🏄 '57 Grad

OOC First Name
Kadi
Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Wand
Straight 10 1/2 Inch Sturdy Pine Wand with Unicorn Hair Core
Yay Kris!! Congrats!! Marnie is a delight and I'm happy to see her getting some love.

Amber Chou Wilson

💗 Friendly | Gladrags Shopkeeper | 2048 Grad💗

OOC First Name
Daphne
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Engaged
Sexual Orientation
Gay (Ainsley)
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Congratulations Kris!!! Well-deserved, Marnie is great!!

Marnie Frogg

✨🐸 Frog-tastic | Chatterbox 🐸✨

OOC First Name
Kris
Thanks all! :wub:
One Marnie-related question: She's such a cheerful kid, so I was wondering, what would it take to make her angry?
And one non-Marnie question: What's your favorite mistake/bad decision that one of your characters has made?
While Marnie's default emotion is definitely positive, I don't think she's particularly hard to rile up, she just hasn't had as much of a chance to encounter anyone who's come at her particularly negatively. Emery got close in a thread and we saw a bit of it but really Marnie isn't so much super cheerful more in that whatever emotion she happens to be feeling is expressed Extra Loudly so it's more obvious lol. If you ever do make her angry she'd be just as obvious about it and I do look forward to getting to explore that angle of her personality too hopefully soon :r

Ohh non-Marnie related Q's in her spotlight, that feels illegal somehow though I'll def take the chance to talk about Nicole here cause I love my girl (thank you), but I think she wins favourite mistakes with her idea to date Eric which we can probably all agree was a mistake not because she did but why she did (and then the subsequent fallout from it). Yay for bad judgement that let's milk like 20 threads from it :party:

Professor Landon Carter

herbology 1-4 | laid-back | father of 4 girls

OOC First Name
Kaye
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 9 1/2 Inch Sturdy Alder Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Congrats!! I love Marnie and how happy she is all of the time. Would you say it's also a mood booster RPing her sometimes? Since you have to sort of get in her head a little? Also, what is one thing that makes Marnie sad? Is there something that's happened in her childhood that she doesn't like to look back on?

Marnie Frogg

OOC First Name
Kris
Would you say it's also a mood booster RPing her sometimes? Since you have to sort of get in her head a little? Also, what is one thing that makes Marnie sad? Is there something that's happened in her childhood that she doesn't like to look back on?
Honestly it's a little draining I almost feel out of breath when I finish writing a reply for her simply because I'll read her sentences all in one breath like they're written haha.

As for what makes her sad, it's pretty typical tween stuff, much like how she feels her excitement and joy in a big, open manner, she's not subtle if she'd upset either. Being rejected (by say, a seventh year boy she has a crush on), messing up or ruining one of her art projects, feeling homesick, they all make her sad. You said one thing, you get three :r

With Marnie's childhood, she's had a pretty smooth go of things. Her family doesn't always get along all the time but they're a solid unit and there's a lot of love and support there even if she gets into regular arguments with her little brother. If I had say one thing though, she definitely had a muggle friend she had to cut ties with as a kid because it became too hard for her to keep her magic a secret and that makes her sad but at least she has a bunch of magical friends at HNZ now!

(me: makes fun, exuberant character to RP
you lot: but how do we makes her sad)

Dahlia Doherty

Netballer | Stubborn | New In Town

OOC First Name
Camilla
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Too Young to Care
Wand
Curly 9.5" Flexible Rosewood Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
In that case I'll ask something upbeat for Marnie :r

Is there anything in particular she'd really like to achieve while she's at Hogwarts? aside from learning the knitting charm in a few years lol

Marnie Frogg

OOC First Name
Kris
Is there anything in particular she'd really like to achieve while she's at Hogwarts? aside from learning the knitting charm in a few years lol
I think Marnie's a pretty simple soul in that regard, she wants to make cool things and make fun friends (and make fun things with cool friends :cool: ). Bonus points if she can keep adding to the mural in her dorm room until it takes up the whole wall.

Users who are viewing this thread