OOC First Name
Rowan
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Claudia) (Straight
When they had discussed how their lives would change if Claudia ran for Minister, James had accepted that it meant less time at home with his wife. With four daughters, James didn't remember the last time the Holland home had actually been quiet, but since Claudia's election that had well and truly changed. James was becoming strangely accustomed by silent meals alone, in a home that felt much too large with everyone else gone away. It got depressing at times, but this was what James had agreed to, and in the end, the work Claudia was doing for their country was what mattered.

And, as James liked to think of it, the emptiness in their home only made nights like tonight more special. Claudia was home for dinner, and James had been in the kitchen all afternoon cooking. He wanted every evening they got together to be special now, and to help Claudia relax after carrying the weight of a nation all day. Plus, tonight James had some news to give his wife. Time together had been sporadic enough recently that he hadn't wanted to bring up something like the letters from his sister, but this evening they had nothing to do but talk, and James wanted to let Claudia know, and find out what she thought about the situation. So after dinner was finished James set down his wine glass, choosing his words carefully as he spoke to Claudia over the candles he had laid out in the middle of the table. "I... got a letter recently." He said slowly, reaching down to pull the carefully folded parchment from his pocket and sliding it across the table. "It's from Melanie."

It was nice to have a relaxing evening at home with her husband, and Claudia was determined to relax and have a good time tonight. No work thoughts would be allowed in her head, no matter how much they might try to crop up and push their way to the foreground. She had known in theory what her job as Minister would entail before running, but it hadn't been possible to completely prepare for the reality. She loved the work and loved knowing she was doing something useful for the wizarding world, but it did feel a little overwhelming sometimes.

The dinner was wonderful. Claudia could tell James had worked hard on the food as well as everything around it. It was a sweet gesture, and she was very grateful for his silent support. But she also had the feeling her husband had something on his mind, and was a little worried it was bad news. She could read him well enough to know something was bothering him, and when he put down his wine glass and looked at her after dinner, she knew he was going to say what had been on his mind all night. What he said wasn't what she had expected at all, and her eyes widened. "Your sister?" She asked, reaching over and taking the parchment. "Wow, James, that's... that's huge." She knew that his estrangement from his sister had been a big regret in James' life, and he had always hoped to hear from her. To hear that had happened was wonderful as well as shocking, and she wondered how long he had been waiting to tell her this huge news. She decided not to ask him that, at least for now, and unfolded the parchment to read the letter. She remembered James' sister from their Hogwarts days, though she had been many years behind them in school. Claudia and James had already been dating when Melanie left the family, and she remembered very clearly how much it had upset him then. Seeing the words on the page and trying to connect them to the teenager she had vaguely known was strange, but there were times where she could clearly hear the words in Melanie's voice. A lot had changed in twenty years, but not everything. Claudia was a little concerned about what Melanie wrote about her son, but decided that wasn't the biggest priority right now. "Wow." She said as she looked up to meet James' gaze. "This is so wonderful. Are you going to meet with her? Do you need me to do anything? If you want, you can invite her over and I can be here as well." She would have to find a good time for it, if James wanted her there she would be. She reached over the table and took his hand. "How... are you feeling about this?

James nodded, huge was... the only word for this. As much as it pained him, part of James had given up hoping that Melanie would re-enter his life a long time ago. As many regrets as he had, James had spent most of his adult life thinking he would never have a chance to make amends for how he had sat back and watched his family fall apart. He waited as Claudia read the letter, wondering what she would have to say about Melanie's words. It was a relief when she spoke again, and James nodded quickly. "I... think it's best if I meet with her alone first. We have a lot to talk about, and it might be difficult to organise with your schedule." He hesitated, a little nervous about the next thing he was going to say. "I... thought maybe... if it goes well we could... invite Mel and the boys for Christmas? Or... would that be too much too soon? I don't know how good an idea it is if her boys resent us, but... I don't know." James laughed nervously, realising that he had been speaking very quickly. It was a relief when Claudia took his hand, and he held on gratefully. Claudia had always been his rock when he needed one, and he had always done his best to be the same for her. It was what made their marriage still work after so many years together. "I'm... really happy." He said softly. "But nervous at the same time. I'm so scared something will go wrong, and I'll never see her again. After all this time... I just want her back in my life. I've missed her so much."

For the last few months, everything in their life had seemed to be about Claudia. It was good that James was telling her something big had happened in his life too, even though it hurt a little that he had known this for at least a little while before confiding in her. But Claudia supposed that was the way they were now. Her time was in high demand, and she had to arrange things to make room for her personal life too. She intended to let James decide what was best in this situation, even though her instinct was to take over and plan it out for him. So when he said it was best to meet with her alone at first, Claudia simply nodded. It wasn't until he asked her advice directly, that she spoke. "Christmas may be a bit much so soon, especially if things will be complicated with her children." She said gently. "I know you missed her and I know you want to make up for the years you missed out on, but we have the rest of our lives to get to know her. Let's take it slowly and make sure we do what's best both for our girls and her boys." She knew things could get complicated quickly if their children didn't get along, she didn't know Melanie at all, but understood how a mother could be protective of her children. She herself would be the same way, but she didn't want that to get in the way of the reconciliation between James and his sister. Claudia squeezed his hand as James admitted he was nervous, and she met his gaze with a soft smile. "She reached out, James. She's not going to run away at the smallest misstep. She wants to meet you as much as you want to meet her, and I bet she has missed you too." She gave his hand another squeeze before letting go. "I think that once you meet face to face, you'll fall back into something like your old rhythm before long." Claudia didn't have any siblings herself, but she had seen how easily siblings could fight and make up. Their daughters were a good example of this, though she supposed it was easier when you were young.

James was a little relieved that Claudia didn't ask to come along to the first meeting. As much as he loved any time with his wife, things with Melanie were complicated, and he wasn't sure how the meeting would shake out. He listened to Claudia about Christmas though, nodding slowly. It had been a nice thought, but he knew what she was saying made sense. "Maybe... next year, then." He said slowly, nodding. "If it goes well." James knew it was an idea that depended on a lot, but the picture of a family christmas with his sister wouldn't leave his head, and he hoped desperately to make it a reality one day. All of those conversations were a long way off though, and he listened as Claudia comforted him, relaxing as he softly squeezed her hand back. "I hope so." He nodded, sighing. "I'm still so worried she'll change her mind, or... get scared off or something. It's... been twenty years, I have no idea what kind of person she is anymore."

Claudia knew her husband was a gentle and optimistic man, so she hoped he wouldn't get his hopes crushed when he actually met his long-lost sister. She didn't think Melanie had any bad intentions, but she hoped James had realistic expectations for this reunion. Melanie definitely wouldn't be the same person she had been twenty years ago, but saying this now felt a little insensitive. There was time to prepare him for this meeting if he needed it, but she definitely knew he had to face this alone. "She's welcome if she wants to visit next year. I think it would be good for the girls to meet their cousins, and some boys for once." She said with a small smile. "I'm sure it will go alright, just keep an open mind." She said softly, squeezing his hand one last time before letting go. "She was the one who contacted you, it seems unlikely that she would change her mind after that. A lot can change in twenty years, but that's not a bad thing... Things might be strange at first, but that's natural. It will be alright, she's your sister and she clearly missed you." She glanced at the letter. "If you're both just open and honest to each other and take it slow, I'm sure things will be good."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back