Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual (Edmund)
Wand
Curly 9 1/2 Inch Sturdy Elm Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Analei walked away from Diana and Edmund, sparing only one glance back to see that they did, indeed, go to dance together. Analei turned back around quickly, taking in a deep breath and trying to control her emotions. She breathed out slowly, willing herself to not cry, glancing around the room to look for Arvel.

Arvel pushed his way politely through the crowd, looking around for Analei. She was the only person he really wanted to see. How was she getting on? He knew she'd been hoping to see Edmund. Suddenly spotting her alone in the crowd, he changed direction and started to head over. As he drew nearer, he noticed a sort of strained expression on her face - an expression that made him feel concerned even before he knew exactly what it was. He touched her arm, then quickly dropped his hand, surprised by the feeling of her skin. "Are you OK?" he asked, certain now that something was off.

When she saw Arvel, Analei's face crumpled. "No." She responded to him, moving forward and putting her head on his shoulder. She continued to focus on her breathing; she did not want to cry. Not at the Dance, not because of Diana and definitely not again because of a stupid boy.

The whole room disappeared except for Analei. When she was upset, Arvel could never think of anything or anyone else. He put his arms around her, though kept his hands slightly raised off her back. His heart was thumping so hard he wondered if she would be able to feel it. "Do you want to go outside?" he asked. Though his world had shrunk to the size of her, he was aware that she might be embarrassed around all these people.

Outside. Why didn't she think of that? Arvel was a genius. Lifting her head, Analei nodded it, before leading the way out, breathing in the fresh air. Once she was sure there was no one else around, she turned around to tell her best friend what happened. "It's just so stupid Arvel. Why do I fall for boys that are so - so - stupid?" She started, feeling tears spring in her eyes. "He didn't even say what he felt about the rose - Diana showed up and asked him for a dance and he didn't even tell her to go away! He obviously still likes her, I don't know why I even bother anymore."

Arvel followed Analei out, glancing around in case there was anybody staring that he needed to glare at. Not that his glares were ever very fierce. Out in the cool air, he listened to Analei lament about Edmund and Diana, feeling a swell of anger on her behalf. "He's an idiot," he said, and he was sure he'd said the exact same thing about Simon. "And so's Diana. They're perfect for each other." Arvel cracked a tiny smile, wanting to cheer his friend up, to make her stop blaming herself, but not knowing how. "I'm sorry," he said. "Do you want a tissue?" It was pathetic that all he could offer her in the way of help was a tissue. And he didn't even know where he was going to get one of those.

Analei let out a small laugh when he called Edmund an idiot. Arvel seemed to be the only guy in her life who wasn't an idiot - well, apart from her dad also. She nodded her head in agreement when he said Diana and Edmund deserved each other - but only half believing it and wishing it weren't true. Analei shook her head when Arvel offered a tissue. "No. I'm okay. Thank you for listening. I'm sorry if I've interrupted your night! You can go back in if you want to."

The chuckle Arvel managed to elicit from Analei was music to his ears. She was so pretty when she smiled. He was lucky to have her as his best friend, and he knew that some day she would meet somebody who was good to her in the way she deserved. He hesitated over her suggestion. I could dance with you, he wanted to say. But that was a stupid idea. Analei wouldn't want to be seen dancing with him. She didn't seem embarrassed when she hung out with him in public, and he was grateful for that, but she definitely wouldn't want people assuming they were boyfriend and girlfriend, or anything. "I'm OK. I'll probably just... stay out here," he mumbled to his shoes, shrugging. "You can go back in if you want though."

"Don't be silly." Analei laughed. "I'll stay outside with you. Besides, I'd really rather not go in." She said with a small smile, sniffing back any lingering tears. She was still upset, but Arvel just seemed to know how to make her feel better almost instantly. Analei looked around and found a bench, moving over to sit on it, lifting her eyes to look up at the stars. "I suppose one day it'll get better for us, right?"

Arvel was relieved when Analei decided not to go back in and leave him standing outside by himself. He probably would have just gone to bed, which was sad, because everybody else was still having so much fun. He followed her to the bench and sat down beside her, tilting his head up to the clear night sky. Looking at the stars always made him feel small, but not in a bad way. It reminded him how amazing the universe was in spite of all the bad things that seemed to keep happening on this little part of earth. "Maybe," he said, without much conviction. It was difficult to imagine. Then again, in moments like these, just sat here with Analei, looking at the stars, he felt so happy that he could have been convinced. "Analei," he said, as if he were about to ask her a question. But then he stopped, and rested his head on her shoulder. "Thanks for being my friend."

Analei sighed slightly when Arvel replied. She could tell he didn't really believe it. Her mind wandered back to Edmund, wondering if he was still dancing with Diana. Wondering what they were talking about; if they had already gotten back together. Where she had once been so confident, she was starting to feel her self esteem falter. She had been so convinced that Simon would like her - but he thought she was weird. She was sure if she'd told Edmund about how she felt, he would swoop her up in his arms - maybe even give her her first kiss. But instead, she got rejected, again. Was there something wrong with her?
Arvel spoke, and broke her out of her stupor. The blonde smiled at him, resting her head on top of his. "Thank you for being my best friend. I wouldn't manage this school without you."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back