Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Knotted 9 Inch Rigid Laurel Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Mervyn had to know if it was true. He had to know if Sapphire had really told Diana he was cute, sweet, soft-hearted. He didn't want to believe she would humiliate him like that - especially after he'd trusted her with one of his secrets - but then again, how well did he really know her? The fun and the excitement had blinded him to the danger of opening up to an acquaintance. For he certainly couldn't call her a friend. Not now.

Asking around for her whereabouts, Mervyn soon learned that Sapphire was down at the Quidditch pitch, practising with the Slytherin team. Still seething from his encounter with Diana, he stalked across the grounds, coming to a halt at the pitch gates. He couldn't interrupt the practice, but that was all right - he was more than happy to wait for Sapphire to come out. Meanwhile, he paced around on the grass, trying to dispel some of his anger. It wasn't any good; as soon as he thought about Sapphire saying... those things again, the fury and the embarrassment bubbled straight back to the surface. Maybe Diana had been lying. Mervyn wouldn't have put it past her. Yes - that had to be it. The Gryffindor's shoulders relaxed as he convinced himself this had to be the case. He was just thinking about how awful it would have been to accuse Sapphire without first checking the facts when suddenly the pitch gates opened.

Sapphire had waited, laying on the grass, for the rest of the team to leave. Her side was killing her and she didn't want anyone else to watch her limp her way back to the castle. Once everyone had left and she was sure they had enough time to outdistance her a bit, she pushed herself up. She had just exited the pitch when she saw him standing there. She stopped, a blush coloring her cheeks. Her mind instantly flashed back to the Astronomy tower, but she pushed it aside. "Hey," She greeted Mervyn, sticking her free hand in her pocket. "If you're looking for Leda she already took off," Sapphire told the boy apologetically, not seeing any feasible reason for the boy to be here for her.

At the sound of Sapphire's voice, Mervyn turned. He looked around, wondering where the rest of the team was when he realised he'd missed them. Had Sapphire left too, he'd have been standing around by the gates an awfully long time. He blushed and put his hands in his pockets, memories of the evening they'd kissed pushing themselves into the forefront of his mind, quelling what remained of his anger. "Nah, I was lookin' for you," he admitted, shifting his weight from foot to foot. This was useless. He couldn't skirt around the matter. Suddenly he looked up. "Diana says you called me sweet, 'n' soft-'earted, or summink." He watched her closely for an immediate reaction. "Is it true? Did you say them fings?"

Sapphire paused, surprised. "Me? Why would you..." She started, confused. He continued then, and it only took a moment for her to understand what had happened. She let out an exasperated sigh and rubbed her brow, wincing when her side stretched. She lowered her arm and looked to the boy. "Sorta, but not however she said. We got into a fight when I told her she needed to stop insulting everyone she met. I shouldn't be surprised she blew it out of proportion. I didn't get upset enough when she started yelling and I think it peeved her off."

Sapph switched her broom to her other hand and rubbed the back of her neck. "I think the phrase I used was 'Not everyone will be as lenient as I am or as soft-hearted as Mervyn,' or something." She looked away, a little embarrassed. "If you're worried I said something about that night," She began, "I didn't say nothin' else and I don't plan to."

Sapphire's surprise struck Mervyn as a positive response, until suddenly something clicked in her eye, and she sighed. He heard her out without interrupting, supposing there might have been a good explanation for what she'd said. He wasn't exactly pleased to hear that Sapphire had been standing up for him when he was perfectly capable of fighting his own battles, but at the same time, the gesture was too sweet to be angry at. Sapphire meant well, even if all she'd caused Mervyn was a lot of embarrassment. "Nah, it's not about that," he said, with a small shrug. "Just don't want the 'ole school finkin' I'm soft, do I? And I don't need you pickin' fights, cause I can stand up for meself. But... fanks." Mervyn glanced into the pitch, suddenly feeling awkward now that he knew the evening in the astronomy tower was on Sapphire's mind, too. "So... 'ow was practice?"

Sapphire smiled a little. "Eh, she insulted my brother too. I didn't care when she was just bad mouthing in the dorms, but it's getting to be a bit much." She tried to smile at the boy, surprised how she was still nervous around him. "If it makes you feel better, where I'm from all it means is that you won't resort to senseless violence just because she said something stupid."

She thought over practice, wondering how she could describe it. Unthinkingly, her hand wandered to her side. It would probably bruise. "Well," she began playfully. "If I get in a game Leda won't have to worry about bludgers anymore."

Mervyn appreciated Sapphire's attempts to reassure him, but he didn't think she was telling the truth. It didn't matter to him any more, anyway - he was over it, and he smiled at her comment just to prove it. Funny how quickly he could forgive her. He rarely held a grudge, but it wasn't like his anger to just disappear.

Mervyn watched as Sapphire placed a hand on her ribs. "Did you get 'it?" he asked, suddenly worried. This was why he didn't like Leda playing Quidditch, either. He wasn't going to try to stop either of them, but he knew he would be watching matches versus Slytherin through one eye and with his breath held. "Are you 'urt? Do you want me to take you to the 'ospital wing?"

Sapphire smiled a little. "Eh, it's no big thing," She told him, motioning for him to follow as she started back towards the castle. "It ain't the hardest I've been hit." She tried to play it cool, keeping her hand firmly in her pocket. It was sort of ridiculous the effect this kid had on her. "Ya know," She started, "I don't think we've ever had the chance to actually talk." She grinned at the boy, trying to figure out how she was supposed to talk to him. It wasn't as easy as she had thought it would be. What had her brother done when they met? No, she didn't think trading insults would be the best way to go.

"What're you all about, Mervyn?" She asked, half to herself. It took her a second to catch it, but it was too late to take it back. She looked at the boy from the corner of her eye, unsure of how he would react. She supposed it couldn't be the worst she'd done.

Sapphire's quickness to make light of her injury reminded Mervyn of himself. He grimaced at the mention of talking. He could talk to Leda for hours on end, no problem - and he was first to shoot his mouth off in class - but talking to Sapphire was different. When he was with her, the words in his head either evaporated, or came out clumsily and unplanned. He grinned at her question, straightening up as they walked. "Me? I'm jus' an 'umble Gryffindor, tryin 'o find 'is place in the world and to 'elp those wot are less fortunate than 'imself," he jested, purposely dodging the question. "Wot about you? Wot're you all about?"

Sapphire laughed at Mervyn's response. He was good at dodging, she'd give him that. She would have to work harder to figure things out about it. "That changes a lot," She told him. "Though on Halloween, my brother had me put on this really detailed costume. I guess it was kinda fun, but he was rude to another kid in our year. Had to whack him for being dumb. How 'bout you? You do anything cool for the feast? I just raided the sweets table." She spoke, going with the first thing on her mind. It sounded a little stupid in retrospect. Her brow furrowed just a touch. Why was she suddenly questioning everything coming out of her mouth?

Mervyn wondered whether Sapphire was trying to dodge the question as well. Truth be told, he was glad to move on from such a deep subject. He laughed, wishing he'd seen Sapphire whack her twin. Onyx wasn't bad, but he was quite full on - though by the sounds of things, he'd not been nice at the Halloween feast. "Me 'n' Leeds went as a chainsaw murderer 'n' 'er 'eadless victim." He gestured to himself. "Didn't fink it froo, though, cos I couldn't eat nuffink all night. 'Ad to wrap some food up in a tissue an' smuggle it back to me dorm. Was awright, uvver than that." Mervyn watched the grass as he walked, hands still in his pockets. "Wot else do you do, when you ain't playin' Quidditch or whackin' your bruvver?"

Sapphire smiled. "I bet that was fun. You two must've looked awesome." She reached into her bag and pulled out a sucker, offering it to the boy. "I've got an awful sweet tooth." She confided like it was a big secret, popping a sucker of her own in her mouth. It was kinda nice to be walking with him like this. She was starting to forget her nerves. She thought about his question. "Well... I've been learning to play guitar." She told him. "It helps with the no music thing they have here. It's stupid," She complained lightly. "What 'bout you?" She inquired. "What do you do in your free time?"

Mervyn wasn't sure if he'd looked awesome or not, because he couldn't even see himself in the mirror properly with his costume on, but he was grateful for Sapphire's compliment all the same. He instinctively lifted a hand to take the sucker Sapphire handed to him - and then stared at it, feeling a bit childish. Weren't they too old for these? "Um - fanks," he said, putting it in his mouth just to be polite. He didn't really like the way the sugar made his teeth feel, but he could hardly give it back, or throw it away. "Cool," he said. "Know any good tunes?" Somehow, Mervyn doubted their music taste would be similar. He shrugged. "'Ang around wiv Leda, play a bit of cards and chess. Oh, and practice me sales technique. Ever since I got a job in Dervish and Bange's I've been practisin'. 'Ere, gimme somefin' to sell you. Anyfin' you want." He looked around for inspiration, unsure what he'd do if Sapphire gave him something difficult like a daisy, but determined to impress her.

Sapphire noted the look on Mervyn's face as he stared at the sucker, making a note not to offer him another one. She shrugged when he asked if she knew any good tunes. "I'm still learning, but I've tried a bit of everything. I even tried writin' a song once, but I didn't really like it." She went quiet, not wanting to go into it too much more. She wasn't very good at it, and she wanted him to like her. Kira had told her it was because she wanted to be friends with him, and while she did believe that, she didn't think it explained the odd beating of her heart.

She was glad for the distraction when he told her his interests, and it made her a bit curious about the games. Were there magic versions or just the regular ones? He continued with his job at Dervish and Bange's. "Which one is that, the supply shop?" She couldn't quite think of which one it was, but made a note to stop by in the future. She thought about his question, and for once managed to bite her tongue. Somehow she thought 'Sell me you' wouldn't go over well.

Her eyes fell on her broom, and she held it out to the boy with a smile. "Think you could convince me to buy my broom again?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back