Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Lesbian
Wand
Curly 11 1/2 Inch Flexible Ivy Wand with Fairy Wing Core
The new semester had begun, like so many before it. But unlike all the ones that had come before, this would be Amber's final semester at Hogwarts. As she sat at breakfast and looked around, it really hit home to her. In a few months, something as simple as breakfast at the Hufflepuff table would be something she would miss. The thought made her nervous, and she immediately realized she hadn't done enough this year. Studying had taken up a lot of her time, but she shouldn't forget that this was also her last chance at making lasting connections at Hogwarts. Of course she had Ainsley and a lot of friends, but what if she missed out on some other important relationship in her life because she hadn't spoken to someone at school? Amber took a sip of her tea, looking around the table once more. She was head girl, that meant she should be open to talking to everyone and be seen as approachable. So with that in mind, she turned to the person next to her with a smile. "Hello, did you have a nice break?" She asked, not caring that it might be a weird thing to ask out of the blue.

As Patrick's fourth year was already halfway done, the boy couldn't help but think of what was ahead, especially considering his OWL examinations were happening in the following year. He would only have to blink to miss out on them and the thought of this was slightly overwhelming. He still felt like a first year tripping over his robes and trying to make his way around the castle among all of the older and much taller people. Now Patrick was beginning to become one of them and before he knew it he was going to have to figure out what he'd do after Hogwarts, which was something he initially thought would be ages away. His sister had been doing well with her job at the Ministry, she seemed to know what she was doing now that she was out of school, but Patrick doubted that he would be the same when it was his turn.

The Hufflepuff sat by himself at the house table just like he did every morning. He preferred to be alone at breakfast time, even though he did have a couple of friends that he could talk to if he wanted to. It was nice to just be able to enjoy the food Hogwarts had by himself. Patrick carefully buttered his toast and took a small sip of the pumpkin juice before a voice next to him spoke up. It was the head girl and she seemed suddenly interested in how Patrick's break was. He hesitated before speaking. "It was okay, I guess." he told her with a shrug. He didn't usually know how to carry on a conversation, but sometimes Anastasie would do this to him. She'd ask him a question just so he could ask her the same thing and then she'd talk for a long time. "How was... your break?" he asked, figuring he might as well listen to her talk if she wanted to.

Amber was pleased to see the person next to her was a younger boy she hadn't talked to before. It was nice to catch up with friends and acquaintances, but meeting someone new was even better. He didn't seem too enthusiastic about his break, but maybe he was simply still tired? Amber gave him a smile. "I'm glad it wasn't bad, at least. Mine was alright as well." She said with a slight nod. "Are you a fourth year?" She asked him, trying to guess his age. She thought he was either in fourth or fifth, but she also was fairly sure she knew the people in Sophie's year at least by sight. "Or maybe fifth? Sorry, I try to remember everyone, but there are too many Hufflepuffs around." She laughed softly, looking around the table for a moment before refocusing her attention on the younger boy. "I'm Amber, what's your name?"

Patrick wasn't sure how he felt about the older girl, whom he had never spoke to before, taking a sudden interest in his life. She replied almost as simply as he did and he couldn't help but feel slightly taken aback by this as it wasn't what he expected. He nodded at her, not sure how to respond. Luckily, she seemed to know how to carry on a conversation much better than he did. "Fourth year." he told her, clarifying his current year level. He didn't bother asking her the same question this time as he knew for a fact that she was a seventh year with her head girl status. She introduced herself as Amber and she wanted to know his name too. "Patrick Vernier." he replied with a slight smile as he picked up the piece of toast on his plate and took a bite of it. He was glad she wanted to be friends with him as this meant he didn't have to put much effort into trying to make a good first impression. The Hufflepuff didn't know what else to say as he continued to eat his breakfast.

Amber was eager to talk to someone new, but the boy seemed a bit quiet and maybe shy. She wondered if she was bothering him, but hoped that wasn't the case. "It's nice to meet you, Patrick. Are you enjoying your fourth year?" She asked him with a slight smile. "I remember it was a bit stressful for me, but I think it depends a lot on how many electives you have, and how much you enjoy them." She buttered a piece of toast, and then decided to give the boy an out of the conversation in case he wanted one. "Sorry if I'm bothering you, by the way. I just feel like I should get to know more people in my house." She said with a sheepish smile. "But I understand you're just trying to eat your breakfast."

Patrick appreciated the fact that out of everyone in the Great Hall, Amber wanted to talk to him. She was definitely a chatty one but Patrick didn't mind. It meant that he didn't have to say much and that's what he preferred. He nodded in response to her question and listened as she spoke about electives. He only took two electives, one of which turned out to be his least favourite class, and so he supposed it wasn't really that hard to deal with, but it was extra work nonetheless. "You're no bother." he said to her. "It's good that you're getting to know people, even though you're almost out of school." Patrick wondered why it took her this long, especially considering the extroverted impression she made. "Sorry that you felt like a bother. I just can't, um..." Patrick stammered, trying to find the words to express what he meant. "...I can't really talk to people." Patrick's cheeks turned a slight shade of pink. He hoped he hadn't said anything bad to her that might make her run away. He really liked the older girl so far and did not want to mess up a potential friendship.

Amber was relieved to hear she wasn't bothering the boy, though she did realize that he may just be saying that to be polite. Hufflepuffs tended to be nice people, so he probably didn't want to make her feel bad. "I think it's important to make connections here. Hogwarts is a very good place to make friends." She said gently, smiling. "Though I also have to focus on classes a lot this year." Amber felt a little bad when the boy told her he had a hard time talking to people, and she thought for a moment. "I think you're doing fine." She said, smiling encouragingly. "Please don't worry, I've been enjoying talking to you." She definitely didn't want the boy to feel bad for being a bit shy, as that wasn't a bad thing.

Patrick simply shrugged as Amber mentioned Hogwarts was a good place to make friends. He didn't know whether or not she was right as he had never had much luck with making friends anyway, and so he assumed it was just personal opinion rather than fact and he was not going to argue with her. "Is seventh year... like... hard?" Patrick asked her cautiously as she mentioned her classes. His older sister seemed to survive it well enough but he was not as smart as her, or as determined, and he wanted to know whether or not Amber was doing well in hopes that he too could do well when the time came. It was a bit far away but Patrick still wanted to be mentally prepared for it.

A genuine smile appeared on Patrick's face as Amber told him he was doing fine. It meant he did not mess up as bad as what he thought and that was always good to hear. "I've been enjoying talking to you too." he told her as he took another bite of his breakfast. He swallowed before continuing. "You do talk a lot, but I like that. I don't like talking about myself." Patrick thought a bit of honesty wouldn't hurt, especially if that made Amber feel better about herself.

Amber took a bite of her breakfast and listened as Patrick asked her a question. She hesitated for a moment. She didn't want to discourage or scare the boy, but she couldn't lie either. "It's definitely challenging," she started, then paused to take a sip of her juice. She gave the boy a quick smile. "But it's also a lot of fun, you really learn the most important parts of magic, and a few very advanced things that are fascinating." She sighed softly. "Pick subjects you enjoy, that way it will be easier." She advised, then blushed a little as he told her he enjoyed talking to her, but also said she talked a lot. "I hope not too much." She said with a small laugh. "I understand not liking to talk about yourself... but I hope you have people you can open up to."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back