Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Hogwarts New Zealand! We hope you enjoy your visit.

Hogwarts New Zealand is an interactive Harry Potter Role playing experience, set after the epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in an assumed reality where a new branch of Hogwarts has opened in New Zealand!
What new magic exists now? What new events are occurring across the Wizarding World? What new forces oppose those of good?
Join today as a House Elf, Professor, Shopkeeper, Ministry Worker, Student or anything else and find out!

Join the magic!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
*Mult-Quote Mult-Quote
Locked Topic
First Years: Lesson One; *Archived* Gryffindor and Hufflepuff
Topic Started: Mar 9 2018, 07:17 PM (182 Views)
Professor Sarah Harrington
Member Avatar
Mother of Two Girls | Astronomy Professor | HS Graduate Ravenclaw

[justify]
Sarah was happy to be working with the younger students this time around. She had greatly enjoyed teaching the 5th and 7th years during the previous semester but working with younger children has been her life’s work thus far. Finishing up her notes for the lesson she waved her wand so the door could open and slowly the first years entered the room.

“Welcome first years to your first Astronomy lesson! Find a desk to sit at and we’ll go over some basics this week!” She said excitedly waiting for all of them to settle into their chosen spots. She herself stood in front of her desk ready to make introductions of herself. “I’m Professor Harrington, I’ll be your instructor for the next four years in this course. Originally I grew up in America and went to Hogwarts Scotland, later on in life I moved to the South Island here in New Zealand and have two beautiful daughters, but enough about me,” Sarah said with a big smile. “Who knows what astronomy is?” She questioned the students and pointed towards the first hand she saw raised. /Study of planets, stars and other phenomena in space/. “Right on!” She said impressed by the answer.

“This year our focus is going to be on the solar system, including planets, the sun and moon, and even getting your chance to look up into the stars and find planets among the night time stars!” She said with a smile on her face still. She was very excited to be working with this young crowd. “Now that is enough for today, just the basics, I’d like you all to go around and introduce yourselves and tell me one thing you know about space. It could be the closest planet to Earth or one of the constellations, or the name of one of Jupiter’s many moons, go ahead we’ll start here in the front,” she said pointing towards the same student who has answered her question earlier.

“Wonderful! I hope to be learning all your names soon! You can help me by filling out this little sheet with your names and houses and very favourite snacks!” Sarah said handing out the papers to the students. “Please turn these in next week as they are going to be considered a homework grade and they are rather easy!” She said as the students began to flow out of the room.

Please post an attendance post with your student and complete the homework below!
Form

Name:
House and Year:
Favourite Snack:

[/justify]Astronomy,1,1
Posted Image
Professor of Astronomy
Years 1-7

Banners by Daphne + Arle!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Analei Louw
Member Avatar
Working on restraint.

[justify]Analei found she had enjoyed her holidays, going home was exactly what she needed. She had dearly missed her parents, especially her dad who she definitely got along with more. But, she was excited to be back at school, and excited to learn more about magic, especially with the classes she hadn't gone to yet. Analei wasn't entirely sure what to expect from Astronomy, but she had read a few books about it, so she knew what it was about.
Analei took a seat near the front when the Professor invited them in, and she took out her equipment, ready to take notes. When Professor Harrington asked what Astronomy was, Analei put her hand up. "It's the study of planets, stars and other phenomena in space." She replied, quite proud of herself for knowing how to pronounce the big word. Analei sat up a little bit straighter when the Professor praised her, but quickly got back to taking notes as the Professor continued; though there wasn't much more. Unexpectedly, Analei was called upon to be the first person to introduce herself. She slightly panicked, but didn't want a repeat of her Charms class from the first semester. Slowly, Analei stood up. "Um, I'm Analei, and I know the sun isn't the biggest star there is." She said, before quickly sitting back down. She much preferred to volunteer to speak, rather than being called on.
Finally, the class was done, and Analei took the homework happily, though it was easy, she was sure she'd do a bit more studying before the next class, even if it wasn't her favorite subject.
[/justify]
Homework
Posted Image
Thank you Claire you babe :wub:
BIOGRAHPY . DEVELOPMENT . AESTHETIC
Offline Profile Goto Top

Zoe Harkness
Member Avatar
Youngest | Carrier of the family legacy | Rule-bender

Astronomy was probably the newest subject Zoe was most interested in. She loved the stars and space (she had often gone stargazing with her family) and thought that this lesson was definitely worth investing whole heartedly into.

She decided to sit next to Lavinia, and the girls exchanged hushed accounts of their holidays until the Professor addressed the class. She asked someone what Astronomy was, but Zoe was not as quick to answer this time, even though she knew the answer.

They then went around the class and introduced themselves. Zoe hoped that no one would say what she wanted to say, and to her relief, her turn came and she got to say what she wanted. My name is Zoe, and I know that the universe is always expanding - though some scientists think it will slow down and reverse in order to create the end of world! she declared dramatically, earning some amused giggles.

After the whole class had introduced themselves the Professor gave them a form for a homework assignment. Zoe took it as she left the class and decided that she was definitely going to enjoy Astronomy the most.

Homework Assignment

Name: Zoe Harkness.
House and Year: Gryffindor First Year.
Favourite snack: Chocolate frogs.
Posted Image
Biography | Aesthetic
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gwen Owens-Lee
Member Avatar
adopted | firey | adventurous

Gwen had quite enjoyed her holidays. After the chaos during the first semester of her first year, Gwen really needed that break to refresh herself. It was good going back home again and seeing all of her adopted siblings and it made her realise just how much she missed home. But now she was back at Hogwarts again and Gwen was hoping that this semester was going to be great. She packed everything she needed into her bag before heading to her classes.

Gwen entered the Astronomy Tower and took a seat next to her housemates as she waited for the lesson to begin. Learning about stars didn't really seem that interesting but the Gryffindor wrote down as much as she could on what the professor was saying in hopes that it wouldn't be as boring as she thought it would. When they were told to introduce themselves Gwen sighed before standing up when it was her turn. "My name is Gwen and I know there are unlimited stars in the sky cause they are born all the time, right?" She looked to the professor for reassurance before taking her seat again. The professor seemed nice enough and Gwen took the paper that the professor was handing around before filling it out and handing it in, leaving the classroom once they were dismissed.

Quote:

Name: Gwen Owens-Lee
House and Year: Gryffindor First Year
Favourite Snack: Anything sweet.
Posted Image
Biography | Wiki Page
Offline Profile Goto Top

Jacob Kingsley
Member Avatar
Beater

Jacob found a seat once the professor let them in and waited for the professor to begin. It didn't take long at all. Jacob was interested in this class simply because it took place at such a different time to his other lessons. He listened as Analei answered the question that the professor asked, the words 'teachers let's flitting through his mind. He had far more to worry about, however, like how he was going to introduce himself. He listened to the others, giggling at some and wanting to top them all. When it was his turn, Jacob stood up. "My name is Jacob Kingsley, and I know one of the planets in our solar system is called Uranus" he finished with a huge smirk.

Quote:

Name: Jacob Kingsley
House and Year: Gryffindor first year
Favourite Snack: Jelly Slugs and Sprite
Posted Image
Thank you Phoebe
Offline Profile Goto Top

Emilia Manning
Member Avatar
Sheltered | Dreamer | Piano player | Follower | Sweet | Evelyn's cousin

Emilia Manning wasn't as scared to go to Hogwarts as she had been the first time. Knowing what the school was like helped a lot, and she didn't have to sit through the sorting ceremony again. She was still not entirely happy with the house she had been placed in, even if she had to admit it suited her.

Even though she felt more at ease at school, she was still nervous about the new classes this semester would bring. Astronomy was one she was curious about, and she felt a thrill of excitement at the idea of having a class at night. She entered the classroom and found a seat silently, glanicng at the professor. She listened quietly as she introduced herself and watched in admiration when Analei bravely answered the question. Emilia couldn't imagine willingly raising her hand, especially on a question that difficult. The professor explained the basics of what they were going to learn. But then, to her ohororr, they had to all introduce herself. Along with a thing they knew about space. Emilia's heart started to pound, and her gaze darted to each of her classmates as they introduced herself and gave a fact. Jacob's fact made her gasp out a small giggle, but she quickly placed her hand over her mouth. Then she realized it was her turn and she stood up shakily, her gaze down. "I'm Emilia... um, Emilia Manning." She said, her voice soft. "I know um... that the moon is not a planet." It was the worst fact so far, maybe aside from Jacob's, but she couldn't think of anything better. Quickly, she sat down again. Once everyone had introduced themselves, they were handed sheets of paper. Emilia quickly scrawled an answer on it before heading out of the classroom.

Homework

Name: Emilia Manning
House and Year: Hufflepuff First Year
Favourite Snack: Cauldron Cakes
Posted Image
Aesthetic-🦋-Biography
Offline Profile Goto Top

Maggie Ryan Rosendale
Member Avatar
🎮 Gamer | Artist | Fantasy Lover | Full of Imagination | Clueless on Reality | Ex-Incheon Resident | Dungeon Master

[justify]Despite only having one semester worth of lessons at Hogwarts so far, Maggie was quite confident that magic was not for her. So far she'd managed to almost slip off the end of her broomstick twice, get herself locked in the greenhouses, and cry in front of the Charms Professor. As she took a seat in Astronomy she felt as though at least in this subject it could be particularly safe. She listened to the Professor as they explained what they were doing, and once it was her turn to introduce herself, Maggie was sufficiently relaxed and stood up with smile. She'd actually snorted at one of the answers from a Gryffindor, and he reminded her of her older brother in Scotland. She would be able to say anything like that but she could give it a go. "Hi. I'm Maggie and I'm in Hufflepuff," she began, although quickly noticed that a few students were giving her a strange look. It took her a moment to realise she'd just spoken in Korean, and clearing her throat with slight embarrassment she tried again. "Hi. I am Maggie and I am in Hufflepuff. I know that the sun is really hot, so you do not want to touch it. And that the planet Abafar is a desert planet that is very white in surface." she finished, taking a seat proudly and continuing to listen to the other students.

Name: Maggie Ryan Rosendale
Favourite Snack: M&Ms
[/justify]
Posted Image
AESTHETIC BIOGRAPHY
Offline Profile Goto Top

Pippa Majors
Member Avatar
Shy ll Smol ll Shower Singer

Pippa had never been so excited to go to classes as she was when she knew Maggie was going to be there. The two had become closer since coming back after the break, and though Pippa secretly wondered if she bored Maggie as a friend, the Hufflepuff couldn't help but feel it didn't matter much now. After all, she was still hanging out with her and telling her all kinds of stories from muggle movies from a long time ago. Taking a seat next to her friend, Pippa was prepared to start the lesson, but not prepared to share about herself. The puff had stage fright, and while she felt everyone around her was quite brave for being willing to share about themselves, she couldn't help but feel she didn't have that bravery. When it came her turn the Puff simply shook her head at the professor, umber orbs wide with fear. After a few seconds of silence the next student in line stood and talked, relieving Pippa from her pressure.

Homework
Name: Pippa Majors
Favourite Snack: Chocolate covered fruits
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Lavinia Benivieni
Member Avatar
Risk-taker | Youngest Benivieni | Energetic | 'The Cool Kid'

Lavinia‘s holidays had been fun, she got to see her siblings, whom she had missed last semester, especially her sister. She had always been close to Eliza, the one who understood her the best (most of the time). However, her sister wasn't magical and it was a shame since she knew that if she had been, she would've been at Hogwarts, too, and would've been able to tell her all the adventures she would've had. She couldn't say she wasn't excited to be back, though. She was looking forward to what the rest of the year would bring and she couldn't wait to see her friends again. Her grades had been perfect, and she was surprised that she had managed to study that hard after all, with all the exploring and getting used to a boarding school. But Lavinia was a pretty adaptable person.

She checked her class schedule and saw that she had Astronomy next. Her face brightened at all sorts of ideas that ran through her head as she grabbed her bag and left the common room, double checking to make sure she was at the right place once she arrived. She entered the classroom and her eyes scanned the classroom before she shrugged and took a seat next to Zoe, chuckling as she spoke to her of how her holidays had been. The professor then began the lesson, so she stopped talking to pay attention. She put up her hand, but somebody else answered, and she shrugged, she wasn't one to resent not being picked in class. Anything that had to do with space intrigued the young Puff, and if science would have been a subject that accompanied Astronomy, then Lavinia‘s life would be complete. She playfully rolled her eyes, amused, as Jacob introduced himself, but she wasn't amused at that, rather at his ‘fact‘. When it was her turn, Lavinia grinned and stood up. "Benivieni. Lavinia Benivieni," she corrected herself. She smirked when she thought of what to say. "My fact is that space junk is actually a thing and it refers to any object made by humans that orbits the Earth and no longer serves a useful purpose." The twelve year old sat back down. When she received it, Lavinia quickly filled out the sheet and handed it in before they were allowed to leave, so she grabbed her belongings and left the tower.

Homework

Name: Lavinia Benivieni
Favourite Snack: Does fruit count?
Biography || Relationships
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Astronomy Lessons Archive · Next Topic »
Locked Topic