Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Hogwarts New Zealand! We hope you enjoy your visit.

Hogwarts New Zealand is an interactive Harry Potter Role playing experience, set after the epilogue of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in an assumed reality where a new branch of Hogwarts has opened in New Zealand!
What new magic exists now? What new events are occurring across the Wizarding World? What new forces oppose those of good?
Join today as a House Elf, Professor, Shopkeeper, Ministry Worker, Student or anything else and find out!

Join the magic!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
*Mult-Quote Mult-Quote
Locked Topic
Third Years: Lesson Six; *Archived*
Topic Started: Jan 31 2018, 12:32 PM (64 Views)
Professor Cyndi Kingsley
Member Avatar
HNZ Class of 2023/ Gryffindor HoH/Mom of 3

Ancient Runes,3,6 Professor Kingsley was extremely eager for the final lesson to begin. She pushed her desk to the side, leaving plenty of room at the head of the classroom for the presentations. Sitting on a small armchair that she'd conjured just before class began, Cyndi welcomed the students into the room. "I am very eager to see the work that you have put into your presentations" the woman spoke to the class. She waved her wand, the students' names appearing on the board in the order that they'd signed up. The woman took notes, keeping track of how much effort the students had put into their presentations. As each student finished, she clapped along with the rest of the class.

When they had all finished, Cyndi stood up and headed for her desk. "Those were excellent! I am very proud of the work that you've put in this semester. Don't forget to study for your exams!" she called out as students began to leave.

Roleplay the lesson. Your presentation should be based on a character from Norse Mythology. Your character will be graded on how much they seemed to have learned. Feel free to have them use magical props, costumes, etc. Creativity and the use of runes will be rewarded. Please make sure to cite your sources at the end of your post.
Posted Image
Thanks Annaleise!
Spoiler: click to toggle
Offline Profile Goto Top

Elizabeth Chatwin
Member Avatar
Keen ll Adventurous ll Clumsy ll Indigo Crusader ll Magical Menagerie assistant ll Keeper♥

Elly was ready for her presentation and had put a lot of effort in it. When she arrived at the classroom and spotted the others Elly was glad she went another mile to make it great. Although there wasn't that much information about some of the gods Elly wanted to do her presentation about a not so well known one. Elly looked at her name on the board when it appeared and Elly was second. She was ready and prepared. The person before her did the presentation and Elly looked at Geo. She and Geo had worked hard on their costumes and presentation. They had lived up to this moment and Elly was proud of her.

She had painted snowflakes on her cheeks and brought a fake bow with her. Hopefully it was enough to get her a decent grade. Elly bowed and her fake fur moved on her neck. ''Hello, I am Skadi and this is my name in the norse alphabet'' Elly muttered in a low voice while holding up an image of the name Skadi in the Norse alphabet. "'Godess of Winter and hunt'' When Elly said the word Winter Elly blew white confetti into the class. Which had to look like snow. She had no clue how to conjure it with magic so this was second best. ''Not only am I the goddess of winter and hunt, but also the goddess justice, vengeance, and righteous anger.'' When Elly said the word vengeance Elly arrogantly whipped her blond wig backwards. ''I want to tell you the story of how I met my husband Njord, the sea god'' Elly smiled and thought about what she wanted to say next. ''I didn't get the love of my life, because he didn't have the nicest of feet'' Elly paused ''And unfortunately Njord has the most beautiful feet.'' It was odd how the story was and it must have sound stupid. Elly equipped an arrow to her bow and shot it into the back. The tips of the arrow were made of a rubber so it wouldn't hurt. ''My marriage with Njord isn't nice and with the gods having me picking out my husband by feet didn't make it better'' Elly thought about picking a husband by feet, she shrugged that must be horrible. ''I wanted Balder and got stuck with Njord'' Elly brushed over her blond locks and bowed. ''This was my presentation thanks for your time''

Elly was glad it was over, but it had been fun. Elly looked at Geo and hoped hers went well too. She was glad she had done it and was sure to keep this subject for another year. It had been a lot of fun to do and to use the Norse Script.

Posted Image

Source
BiographyAesthetic
Posted Image
Big thank you to Rowan for making this banner.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Geovanna Volt
Member Avatar
⚡ Conceptualising Law ⚡ Alternative Chaser ⚡ IC Member ⚡ Metamorphmagus ⚡ Magical Menagerie Assistant ⚡ Advocative

[justify]After a number of weeks working with Elly to get their presentations ready in time for the last Ancient Runes lesson before their exams, Geo was eagerly sat in the room as Elly's name was announced. She grinned at her best friend, watching as she explained the story of Skadi. The girls had helped one another to prepare their costumes and props, and once Elly was finished she clapped louder for her friend than anyone else in the room. Once it was Geo's turn, she stood from her desk and make her way to the front of the class, excited to get going.

Geo's hair was particularly long and golden for this lesson, and flowed around her shoulders that was covered by a vivid red dress. Geo barely ever wore dresses but it was most appropriate for this character. "Hi! I am Freyja, the Goddess of Love, God and War." Freyja was a Goddess of lots of things, but Geo felt as though these were the most important traits, and after writing the symbols in the air to spell out her Norse name with her wand, the Hufflepuff proceeded to point out a necklace that lay against her chest. "I am the owner of Brísingamen, a compound of precious amber metal that combines the power of fire with men." Geo's own necklace had the rune for Hagalaz painted across it, as she planned to keep hold of the necklace once her presentation was completed, and she'd found earlier in the semester it was the one best suited to her. "My husband Oor, daughters Hnoss and Gersemi and my brother Freyr live in Switzerland, where I rule over the field of the afterlife that takes those who have died in battle" Geo explained. "Lots of people think I'm very beautiful, and sometimes I can use this to get jewellery I like" Geo slipped a hand into her pocket, before throwing a number of red and gold marbles into the air, forcing them to levitate in the air for a moment before they fell to the ground "Even my tears turn to Amber and Gold." Geo turned to take her broomstick that was currently propped up against the wall behind her, and drapped a cloak over her shoulders before mounting her broom, and hovering a few feet above the ground. "My cloak is made of falcon feathers, which means I can fly to other worlds very quickly and sometimes I let other people borrow it if it's an emergency." Geo had enjoyed making the cloak too, and it would have been fun to play Quidditch with. "Sometimes I ride in a chariot pulled by two cats, and a boar called Hildisvini, although Loki thinks the boar is my lover." Returning to the ground, Geo removed her cloak and bowed to the class, hoping she'd explained her Goddess in enough detail. "Thanks" she smiled, before returning to her seat.

As she watched the others give their presentations, Geo idly played with her necklace, feeling as though it was something she was going to keep with her for a long time. She loved Ancient Runes and would quite possibly consider it to be her favourite subject.

Posted Image

Source
Source
[/justify]
Posted Image
Posted Image
DETAILS VISUALS FRIENDS PORTFOLIO THEME SPOTLIGHT ASSASSIN WEREWOLF
Thank you to Claire for the beautiful signature!!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Other Signature
Offline Profile Goto Top

Kauri Tipene
Member Avatar
Positive | Upbeat | Friendly | Sunshine Boy

Kauri was filled with butterflies of nerves and excitement at the thought of finally giving his presentation. He had gone back and forth from topic to topic before settling on who he wanted to speak about, and had spent a lot of time thinking about the best way to perform his presentation. He found it difficult to focus on his classmates presentations, trying not to get unnerved by how impressive they were and clapping in support. When his name was called he took a deep breath and stood up, making his way to the front of the classroom. He was wearing a long fake beard and had brought his guitar from his room and clumsily glamoured it to look a little more like a harp. He began to pluck at the instrument as he spoke, prancing back and forth in what felt like a bardlike manner.

"My name is Bragi, the skald of Valhalla! A poet so accomplished I'm claimed to have runes carved onto my tongue!" Kauri stuck out his tongue, revealing the runes that made up Bragi's name which he had carefully drawn there before class, and which had only slightly smudged since. "I have been rumoured to be a son of Odin. I perform for Gods and Goddesses, and welcome the recently deceased to Valhalla with my talents. I once clashed with Loki, the Trickster God, when I refused him passage into Valhalla." Grinning, Kauri brandished his "harp" for a moment before returning to his presentation. "The runes were scraped from my tongue as well as many other places and combined with mead to give runes to the elves and men and other races. A skald is a performing poet and often musician, the norse equivalent to a bard, and I'm such a good one poetry itself was named bragr after me!" He flourished and did a quick spin. "I am the husband of Idunn, the Goddess of Youth, and Loki once accused me of killing her brother, though none can find any records of this ever happening. Idunn's apples are eaten by the gods when they begin to grow old, and return them to youth!" Pulling an apple from his pocket, Kauri took a bite, and then a bow. "Thank you!" He said cheerfully, bouncing back to his seat, still buzzing with exhilaration. As nervous as he had been Kauri already wanted to perform again, struggling to focus on the rest of his classmates presentations with how much fun his own had been already swirling in his mind.

Posted Image

Sources: 1, 2
Posted Image
B I O G R A P H Y | A E S T H E T I C | T H E M E
Offline Profile Goto Top

Veronica Willows
Member Avatar
Short | Inspired | Has Big Plans

Veronica had been excited for weeks about her presentation, and she thought she'd spent more time rearranging all the pieces that she wanted to put in it than on her actual study of the other course information. Not that she hadn't been studying, of course, but the presentation had been her clear priority. Not only was it fun, but it was the first time she'd ever had an assignment like this since beginning her time at Hogwarts, and she wanted to do it well and up to Professor Kingsley's standards. It had been hard to pick a topic to begin with, as she had been drawn more to the concepts of Valhalla and Yggdrasil than any particular characters... but eventually she had ended up with one she was excited to learn about, and she hoped the rest of the class and Professor Kingsley thought so too. However, as other people stood up to do their presentations, she started feeling worried. Their formats were very different to the one she had settled on, and she hoped that hers wouldn't be completely wrong now. But there was no time to change it, she thought - especially as her name was called to prepare for her turn. She would just have to do it as she had practiced.

Clutching a large box to her chest, Veronica made her way to the front of the classroom and set up a table for the box to sit on, turning it on its side with the lid flaps facing forwards before turning to face the rest of the class. Standing up in front of everyone like this definitely had her heart beating more quickly than she would have liked, and she took a moment to compose herself before taking a deep breath. "Um, my presentation is a little bit different to everyone else's, but I wanted to talk about a figure that wasn't necessarily an important god in the mythology, but I still thought had a significant place within it. I, um... guess I chose him because I really admired his story, and because he has connections to something that has a special place in my life as well." Flushing slightly, Veronica hoped no one thought she was stupid for including that in her introduction and hurriedly drew her wand out of her robe pocket. "I chose to research Brokkr, who was a dwarven smith = in the old Norse, his name has the meaning of 'blacksmith.'"

She tapped the top of the box, crossing her fingers behind her back as she hoped this would go exactly as she had practiced it. Luckily, it seemed to have worked because as soon as she tapped, a little figure walked his way out of the box and waved at the students in front of him; Veronica used her wand to write his name in shimmery runes in the air as he did so[1]. He had been animated from one of her brother's action toys, and transfigured a little to look more the part, and watching people's reactions to the little figure, she felt both pleased and embarrassed at the same time. She was proud of her efforts, but now she wondered if it had been almost too much effort... which would be bad, because this was actually only a small portion of the presentation.

"Brokkr had a brother, Eitri - who is called Sindri in some earlier texts, but more recently some scholars have come to the conclusion that this is a mistaken mix-up with another character of the same name - and Eitri was regarded as the proper smith while Brokkr was the one worked his bellows. It was an important job, though, because without the forge being kept at the proper temperature, Eitri would not have been able to create anything to the standard with which he did, and he could not work the bellows and smith by himself." Veronica tapped the box again, and another little figure walked out and waved while she wrote the runes of his name in the air[2]. She liked the detail of the hammer and tongs in this figure's hands, despite the fact that they made his waving look more threatening than cheerful. "Although a lot of people have never heard about Brokkr and his brother, almost everyone who knows even the smallest fact about Norse mythology has heard of the hammer wielded by Thor - this hammer was named Mjölnir, and it was created by the two dwarves, which is the predominant story of the mythology that they feature in. So -" Veronica took a deep breath and prayed to any god that might be listening that this would work without a hitch - "Let's learn a little more about how Brokkr overcame adversity to help forge this and many other great works."

Opening the flaps on the box to reveal its insides properly for the first time, she revealed a little set with a mechanical stage that she had spent at least four nights building. At the top there was a label that read 'Svartalfheim' in runes[3], and both figures climbed back into the box to take their marks. By this stage Veronica was properly embarrassed, and knew she was likely red in the face because of it. But she couldn't stop halfway. "One day, Loki the trickster god came down to the place where the dwarves lived, Svartalfheim," she indicated the runes at the top "and made a bet with Brokkr and his brother. The god had had three gifts crafted for him by other dwarven smiths known as the Sons of Ivaldi, and he bet Brokkr his head that he and his brother couldn't craft finer gifts. So he and Eitri began forging a golden boar, named Gullinbursti - or 'Golden Bristles' - that would light the night as bright as day wherever it went. Loki became a gadfly and tried to bite Brokkr on the hand to distract him, but failed." Veronica tapped the box here, and the figures began working at a little table that had just risen from within the stage, bearing a small pig shaped creature flashing in gold.

"They then started to work on a golden arm ring called Draupnir, which means 'Dripper' and it was called that because every ninth night, eight new rings would multiply from it like drips, retaining the same size, weight, and material - gold - as the original." She tapped the box and the figures moved to working at another table, this time with a very off-scale gold ring on it so as to hopefully be visible to the audience. "Once again, Loki tried the same trick to distract Brokkr, but biting him on the neck did not work either. Finally, the dwarves began crafting Mjölnir." Veronica tapped the box, moving them to the third and final table. "This time in his gadfly form, Loki bit Brokkr on the eyelid - causing him to temporarily stop working the bellows because of it, making Mjölnir's handle shorter. This meant that Thor always had to wear iron gauntlets called Járngreipr when wielding it in order to handle it properly. Despite this," she tapped the box so the set would stop playing, "the gods eventually judged Brokkr and Eitri as the winners of the bet, although Loki got out of losing his head by saying that doing so would damage his neck - something that hadn't been part of the arrangement. Upon hearing this the dwarves then sewed up his lips to stop him bragging about it," she added.

"Mjölnir didn't just appear from nowhere, and almost beating Loki at his own game is reason enough to know that the dwarven smith Brokkr is fascinating in his own right, even if he's not very well known. And, um... that's my presentation." Veronica flushed again, and quickly turned around to begin packing up the box. She didn't know what her grade would end up being, but the sheer difference of her project from everyone else's made her lean towards the idea that it hadn't gone so well. Going back to her desk, she sat through the rest of the presentations and then made a swift exit from the room once dismissed, still too embarrassed about her own.

[1] Posted Image
[2] Posted Image
[3] Posted Image
Sources: (x) (x)
Posted Image
Thanks Daph! AESTHETIC | CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT | BIOGRAPHY | RELATIONSHIPS | PLAYLIST
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ancient Runes Lessons Archive · Next Topic »
Locked Topic