Madness, Madness I tell you!

Kailey Harrington

OOC First Name
Kelsey
Wand
12 1/2" Firm Fir Wand with the essence of Dragon Heartstring
Kailey was laying on the unusually large couch infront of the fireplace of the student lounge, propped up by a few pillows on one end and her feet propped on the arm on the other side. She was reading A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks enjoying the rarity of having such a large space to herself. It had been a couple weeks since the brightstone weekend and Kailey was finally getting used to the ring on her finger. What it represented she was still wrapping her head around, but the weight of the ring itself was now nearly entirely gone. She hadn't been able to sit and read a book without getting distracted by it out of the corner of her eye for two weeks. So far three people knew about the engagement on her end. Trista, Kat, and Estrella. Kailey wasn't trying to hide it. But the opportunity to tell people just hadn't rolled around yet. But none of this was running through her head as she was swept up in the world of Jamie and Landon in the 1950s, a match that was doomed. After a few more minutes of this she picked her bookmark up off of the table and stuck it back in the book. Laying it on the table beside her as she decided to take an afternoon nap.

Lemi picked herself up. The Hufflepuff common room was just full of annoying little first years screaming and running around. Normally in a situation like this, she would have escaped to the Prefect's common room. But she decided to come up the stairs, to somewhere she rarely visited. The Student's Lounge. This place would be expected to be a lot worse, but today, it was relatively quiet.

Lemina smiled and looked around, when she spotted someone sleeping upon a sofa by the fireplace. She almost laughed, when she realised that it was actually Kailey, one of her best friends. She smiled and sat down right in front of the fire. She would wait until Kailey woke up, then they could properly talk. Meanwhile, she pulled a book out of her bag and started with some homework, which was piling upon her, with exams just around the corner.

A loud thump soon woke Kailey up with a start as she was quickly up in a sitting position, a bit wild eyed trying to get her wits about her and figure out just what the ruddy hell that noise had been when she saw Lemi restacking a pile of books that had fallen int he floor beside of her. After a few seconds and one large yawn she finally got her mind back and got up, picking a few books up as she did so. "Here you go Lemi." she said, her voice still a bit bogged down from sleep. Speaking of books where was hers? She looked over to the table, Oh yeah... she thought before Picking up a few more books and placing them on the top of the small pile that made unnaturally loud noise. "you tired of the first years running around too?" she asked

Lemina was just doodling on the side of one of her jotters when she stood up to go and sit on the couch, the heat of the fire was getting a little too warm for her. Damnit! Lemi cursed under her breath as she had knocked a precariously balanced pile of books to the floor. She was just restacking them when she noticed that Kailey had been awoken by her noise. "Oh, sorry about that!" She smiled up as she placed the last book back up.

"Yeah!" Lemina rolled her eyes. First years were just so annoying. It seemed like a lifetime ago to her that they were eleven and now they would soon be seventh years, the biggest fish in the pond. Yet, it was also such a short space of time. "Tell me about it..."

Kailey shrugged when Lemina apologized "It's no problem, Chances are I've been conked out for a while anyways." she answered, knowing it was true as she did feel quite refreshed and the sun was lower in the sky than it had been before she had given in to sleep. "You know even though they're allowed up here I never see anyone under Fourth year in here. Like it's an unwritten rule or something." she noted, moving over to take a seat on the couch she had been laying on moments before. "Lemi, I have a question... Were we that annoying when we were first years? I swear it doesn't seem like we were... But then again, I doubt they realize that they have a tendency to bug the older students." she asked Picking up one last book up off of the floor beside her and handing it to Lemina.

Lemina smiled at Kailey, as she shrugged off her apology. I'm such a clutz. She giggled to herself. "Thank god, I mean, how annoying can first years be. Some third years can be kinda decent, but anything younger than that..." She laughed. At Kailey's small question, she stopped to think. "I dunno. I really hope not! I just remember being a first year and keeping our heads down. Kind of..." Although now that she thought back, as first years, they had been kind of roudy, they had thought they were really big and old now that they were eleven and away to learn magic at 'big school'. Oh, the innocence!

Kailey nodded with a laugh knowing just how annoying first years could be, but at the same time sitting around complaining about first years wasn't the most mature way to spend ones time either so Kailey changed the subject after getting Lemis answer. "Well enough of first year talk, we came here to avoid them." she said with a laugh, "Did you get that History of Magic essay done? I only need about Three inches and a conclusion. I was wondering if maybe I could get some ideas from yours." she asked, "And you know I really mean it when I say I only want ideas. You know how I am about copying." she reassured even though Lemina knew she didn't cheat unless necessary.

The topic was changed, and there was no complaints coming from Lemina's mouth. As much as ranting about first years was humorous, she didn't feel like it at the moment, she and Kailey had both come up to the Student's lounge to avoid them. "Mhmm," Lemi muttered, as Kailey mentioned the essay. "I've only done the introduction and the first little bit. History of Magic is so not my forte! I dunno, I got really stuck on it too, but I found a good book in the library, I'll lend it to you once I've done mine if you like?" Lemi smiled, she really should do her coursework not at the last minute.

Kailey nodded vigorously when Lemi offered to let her borrow the book after she was finished with the eassy. "When is it due back?" she asked, wondering if she was going to have to go check it out under her own name or if she would just give it back to Lemina when she was finished with it and she go on and check it back in. "I'll tell you, History of Magic is definitely not my forte either. Though with the way I've been with school work lately nothing is." she admitted, brushing a piece of hair out of her face with her left hand, not remembering that the ring was there and with the sunlight coming in through the windows, Very eye catching.

Lemina smiled at Kailey, "Yeah, of course. And it's not for a wee while yet, the librarian said I could just keep it until after exams if I needed to." Lemina saw a glint of emerald as Kailey pushed her hair behind her ears. "Oooh, that's a nice ring, Kailey! Where did you get it?" Lemi laughed, it was a really pretty ring. It looked quite expensive, but it might have been diamante and glass, you never could know. And Lemina was really needing a new ring for herself, her fingers looked so bare lately.

"Thank you so Much Lemi!" she chirped, lord knows she needed all the help she could get with this exam, Next year was going to kill her. Ancient Runes would kill her, Care of Magical Creatures would eat the remains, Then History of magic would eat Care of magical creatures. She had heard the seventh year coursework was bloody difficult and she was most certainly not looking forward to it. "Is it in that pile? Not trying to swipe it early on you, But would you mind if I took a look at it?" she asked , curious as to exactly what book it was and if she had seen it before.

Kailey watched Leminas eyes connect with the ring on her finger and she automatically flinched. It wasn't as if she was ashamed of her engagement to Demitris, quite the opposite she wanted to shout it from the rooftops. But after Lemina told her about how Hayden had cheated on her with the Durmstrang headmistress and was now expecting a child with her Kailey tended to avoid gushing to her about Demitris, though she wasn't as hesitant with her as she had been with Kat, but where Lemi didn't have two other best friends (Or as far as she knew, They may have been close) getting married and engaged, She had the fact that Demitris either was one of Haydens best friends.

But she didn't think Lemi would freak out like Kat did initially, she had always been rather level headed about things so she decided after a second or two of contemplation to just go ahead and say it. "I don't know where he got it..." she started, half tempted to let her figure it out just to see the puzzlement slowly turn into shock but in the end was too eager to break the news to someone who didn't know beforehand in person. "You know how I spend Brightstone weekends with Demitris? Well, on this last one he shocked the hell out of me, He proposed!" she exclaimed

Lemina shook her head. "Nope, it's up in my dorm. I just couldn't face History of Magic today to be honest. I'll give it to you tomorrow if you like." She smiled. Lemi would try to work on her essay tonight and get it done. Out of the way. Sure, Kailey could do it first and get it back to her, but that would just give Lemina even more excuses to procrastinate.

Lemina didn't pick up when Kailey used the word 'he' instead of 'I'. She might have heard it, but it didn't register. Not really. Even if Kailey hadn't bought it for herself, her Boyfriend - Demitris - or something else could have given it to her as a gift. Well, some gift. Nothing sunk in, until Lemina heard the word 'proposed'. So, this was it. Kailey. She was getting married. She had always had more luck in her love life than Lemina.

But it wasn't really much of a suprise. Kailey was brighter, funnier, prettier, everything. And here was little old Lemina Troque, good for nothing. Her first - and only - real boyfriend had gone off and gotten his blooming headmistress pregnant and now here it was, they were starting a family. Screw this.

But Lemina pushed these thoughts out of her head. She had to be happy for Kailey. It was important to Kailey. One of my best friends is engaged! I am being a complete selfish prick here, amn't I?! She sighed. Then grinned. "Oh my god, you are joking, right!?" Lemi laughed, letting herself get absorbed in the moment. "I am so happy for you! I cannot believe it! You are getting married! Yaaay!" Hopefully it wasn't... too fake? She hoped not. She was genuinely happy. Just jealous.

"Well, whenever you get done is fine Lemi." she said, personally not too eager to resume work on the essay herself. If there was one thing this Ravenclaw was, it was lazy. As most teenagers were when it came to schoolwork. Kailey was alot more eager to get out and play Quidditch, or even just sit around and read a book that wasn't school related. Things would be so much easier if computers and internet worked at Hogwarts. Not that you could research most of this stuff but writing so much caused your hand to crap up far too quickly to get anything done.

Kailey studied Lemina closely as she broke the news. The blonde was silent, contemplative. She listened to the sigh then the complete 180 in attitude as she perked up, squealing like well.. a school girl as she gave Kailey her congratulations. Kailey could tell the sincerity was there but like Kat, Lemi hadn't been doing the best in the love department and Kailey felt kind of bad for almost rubbing it in with her engagement but they were her best friends, they had to know! She hesitated for a moment but then figured she would address the situation either later or never, depending on what she got from Lemina. "I know! It's still sinking in... Mrs. Kailey Harrington." it was the first time she had ever said it out loud and she had probably picked the wrong time to do so but it was too late now. Her eyes widened, "Holy poop that sounds so..." she trailed off not able to think of the right word.

Mrs Kailey Harrington... Mrs Kailey Harrington. There was a time, once, when I hoped I'd be Mrs Lemina Kerberos. But there is no point dwelling on that now.

Lemina grinned at her friend. Marriages were happening so early these days. She had even that a third year was engaged! Third year! That's like... a thirteen year old. But Kailey wasn't too young. Whilst she was tonnes of fun, Lemi knew that the Ravenclaw was both serious and mature. And she hadn't rushed into this... At least Lemi didn't think so. But what about those dreams of marrying Njord just a few years ago. But either way, she doubted that she would be marrying him before she finished school, at least.

Oh how Lemina wished she was in Kailey's position. "Wow! I just can't quite take it in! You're gonna be a bride." As she squeed, Lemina giggled. Just like a little school girl.

Kailey was starting to float back down from the excitement thinking about all of this caused her. She looked at Lemi and over the past two years she had gotten to know the girl and her body language as well as Kat knew hers. Lemina was happy for her but she seemed a bit closed off, Kailey could get why but at the same time she wanted to be able to tell someone she didn't have to walk on egg shells around after wards. Stifling a gasp she mentally slapped herself, that had been a horrible thought and feelings of guilt came back again. The first two people she had gotten to tell had been the two who really didn't need to know but at the same time did. She wondered if any resentment was being held towards her now from either party.

When she really thought about it she didn't know who's situation was worse. There was Kat, who's relationships always turned sour, Kailey was not the first but the third of her best friends to be engaged and one of those best friends had married her Ex boyfriend and Kat was getting hit from all sides. But at the same time Kailey and Lemina had been in the running for the same guy, lashing out at each other and not speaking for over a year over the blond boy that didn't even stay at the school. Then when she finally did find someone they go off and impregnate a woman over twice their age. Kailey had always been lucky in the love department, granted her relationship with Njord had been pretty rocky after his 'death'. Finding Demitris had made up for it all.

She realized by this point that she must have seemed oddly silent for a bride to be and let the thoughts settle once more, deciding not to ruin the mood just yet. "It's finally starting to sink in for me, but sometimes it'll just knock me over like a tidal wave again." she agreed, this was one of those times. "But no matter how much getting used to it takes. I don't regret accepting." she said, because it was the truth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back