Closed Cheap Thrills

Valerius considered what she said, leaning his head back against the wall. "Of course I have," He murmured. "I've thought about it a few times... what might happen if I just took off instead," He sighed. "But we both know its the only thing I'd be good for. What else would I even do?" He was rambling a little bit himself now, frustration in his voice. "But I can't even get a girlfriend- no, I mess it up, act like an idiot, and get all of my fears and insecurities thrown back into my face." He sighed, dragging a hand through his hair, hating how his voice trembled. He chuckled, and tried to make his tone lighter. "I can pay you to be the company fortune teller- just make up crazy theories, or something,"

Aine lowered her arms, ignoring what was going on to give Valerius a sympathetic look. "We both know that's not true. You're intelligent, you're caring, you're patient, your biggest flaw is being a teenage boy," she teased. Aine knew she was quite terrible at being open, wanting to cover things up with jokes or just avoid them altogether. But she did want to be a good friend, and a better person than she was. "I mean, I've never had a boyfriend, but apparently you still think I'm halfway decent as a person." It was going to take a lot of effort for her to get there. "I got pretty brutally turned down by a boy in the footy team my brother coaches, like eighteen months ago," she admitted, wincing as she said it out loud and distracting herself by firing a couple of shots. "Afterwards my sister - the older one, Siobhan - she said nobody who's still in high school is truly ready for dating. We're all caught up in finding out who we are and stuff, what we want, the kind of people we like. And those things change over time too. Admittedly, she was going through a divorce at the time, so I guess she was thinking through it a lot." She played that off with a light laugh, even though she did earnestly mean what she was saying. "I guess what I'm trying to say is like...it's okay. We can both learn how to not be idiots. Everything just feels worse when we're sixteen." Aine adjusted her chestplate, feeling a little awkward at trying to be helpful but hoping that it did, in fact, help.

Valerius was almost surprised with how honest Aine was being. He was a bit taken aback, but he appreciated it. He gave her a small smile. "Thanks, Aine," He told her, his voice sincere. He deliberated a moment before sighing. "It was Margo," He admitted gently, looking away. "I tried being honest with her... I told her that Aika and I broke up because we didn't really like each other like that, and that I had feelings for her... she ran off then, and it hurt... but then we spoke again during the dance..." He winced, his heart aching even as he thought of it again. "She said some pretty awful things," He swallowed hard. "I tried to make amends but she just ran off again," He ran a hand over his hair.

Aine was actually a little relieved Valerius didn't really hone in on any specifics of what she said. She didn't really want to feel like she was being pitied even if she'd brought it upon herself. She listened closely instead, pondering how best to respond. While it might have been easy to just unequivocally agree with what he said, Margo was also her dormmate and her friend. Admittedly, they'd had less time around each other with OWLs and more so since Isadora had come back - a fact which Aine had tried and failed to ignore - but she did like Margo and knew she would have felt terrible if she slandered her.

"That's awful, I'm sorry..." she said, pressing herself a little closer to the wall. "I, uh, guess she might have felt like a rebound and maybe caught up in thinking that even though it wasn't true...like, just hearing what she wanted to instead..." Aine suggested, though in truth she didn't know the specifics of it and didn't know what Margo's thinking was. "Everyone was kinda stressed out last year. Uh, but, it's not okay that you got hurt," she added, hastily, not wanting Valerius to think she wasn't understanding. "I, um...I'm sorry. It sucks. Romance is cr*p," she focused on the arena for a moment, looking for something to help her feel less focused on trying to say the right things so she could just say things. "She's best friends with Cameron, so maybe she just doesn't have good taste." Although she did feel bad as soon as she said that. After a year of patrols with Cameron, Aine had to admit to herself that she actually was somewhat fond of the Slytherin boy. Though she definitely wasn't going to say that to Valerius.

Valerius chuckled. "Thanks for trying, Aine," He offered. "But it's just- it's all-" He sighed. "It's messy." He admitted. "I wish I knew what to do. I've- it's-" He rubbed the back of his neck, almost forgetting what they were doing. "Do you know how isolating my life has been?" He asked. "Never knowing who was my friend because they liked me or because I was my fathers son?" He sighed. "Father has done so much for me, and I love and appreciate him so, so much. But he's a CEO of a massive company. My mother just- threw me away with no garauntee that he'd even take me. I grew up alone. All I want to do is make him proud of me."

He was chewing on his lip, his weapon between his legs as he just twisted his hands. "You and Monday are really all I've got. Maybe Dahlia or Eloise, but... I know- gods," He cursed a bit under his breath. "Margo is just so soft... she seemed so sweet. I just wanted her close. But I don't know anything about girls. I've barely spent any time with them- Blair and I didn't exactly grow up together, and merlin knows how much you and I fight." He gave her a sad smile, looking defeated. "I'm not making any sense, am I?"

Aine sighed, feeling bad as Valerius talked. She'd never been the best at being a friend, emotional things weren't her forte and she didn't exactly show affection easily. "I can't pretend I understand what that's like, but..." she admitted, slowly, fidgeting with the laser gun. She knew there wouldn't be that much time left, but was at least glad for the opportunity to talk even if it wasn't in the most 'normal' of circumstances. "If it's anything like being the kid her parents only had because of a rocky marriage and never actually wanted, everyone talking about how she was a mistake, especially once she turned eleven and turned out to be different..." Aine grimaced, giving a small shrug. "Then I can kind of understand the isolating feeling."

She sighed again, looking up at the ceiling. "I'm working on being a nicer person and not seeing the worst all the time so I will not feel offended at the suggestion I'm not much of a girl." Aine gave a small laugh, rolling her shoulders. Even though she didn't think of Valerius in a romantic way, it did sting just a little to feel like she wasn't good enough to be counted. Just because she was working on thinking positive doesn't mean it would necessarily take right away. "But we're just people, same as you. Like, everyone has their own stuff going on. And what one girl wants isn't what another one wants." She didn't know if being practical would help, but she found it a bit easier than just offering sympathy. "Sorry. I know like, none of that is going to make it hurt less, or miraculously explain why it happened at all. But...well, I don't know your dad personally, but I think he's gotta be proud of you. And I don't think he'd ever not be proud of you. Unless you went off and became a criminal. But somehow I can't see that."

Valerius just shut his eyes and tried to lean his head on her shoulder for a moment. "You're as much of a girl as any I've met," He countered. "I just meant more like... I'm not doing well with you, either. Half the time I'm trying to compliment you or bond over things and it feels like all I do is upset you," He tried to explain. "Just, somehow... you haven't given up on me yet," He teased. He was startled as the game suddenly ended, and he gave Aine a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry, I kinda messed up the game, didn't I?"

Aine shrugged. "You know me. At least, I hope you do. I don't trust compliments, and, uh...how can I put this..." she paused, not wanting to necessarily say anything to make him feel worse. "I'm pessimistic. So I end up feeling like I'm being pitied and I react badly. Like I said, everyone has their own stuff, so I guess you just gotta look at each person uniquely. Some people might want romantic words and gestures, some people might jump into things quickly, some need to take it slow and steady." Aine shrugged again. "Unlike some people, I have nothing expected of me so my time has been spent doing a lot of soul searching and reading sh*t like 'How To Win Friends And Influence People'." She gave a smile that more mocked herself, standing up and stretching. "Nah, my aim was terrible anyway. Besides. I'm, uh...I'm happy that you confided in me. I know I'm not exactly the best person for it but...it means a lot. And I dunno how to make any of it any better but I know you. It's gonna be alright."

Valerius chuckled, and he stood. He knew Aine wasn't much for hugs, so instead he just offered out his hand. "Hey, I knew you were grumpy and overthinking years ago," He teased her. "And you're still one of my best friends." He took a breath. "Thanks for not making fun of me," He countered, giving her a shy smile. "I'm glad you're here, Aine."

"Point being, you just gotta approach people as people. And maybe not mention your family's status as a selling point. You're more interesting than that. I'm friends with you because you're Valerius, my classmate." Aine winked, removing the armour and rolling her shoulders. "You're probably retracting the thanks, but still. Thank you, too." She cracked her neck, stretching her arms behind her and letting out a deep breath. "Now, let's go watch something stupid and full of explosions."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back